adz4d2

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

He’s the club captain of the team 2nd in the Championship and has just signed a new five year contract.

Oh. :lol: :lol: 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Butty said:

I’d love too have Hanley back. He’d be class alongside Mulgrew. Rovers shared our trip too Milwall in April 2013 on twitter and it was Hanleys 60 yard run that won us a penalty to take all 3 points in the dying embers. Brilliant. Olsson would solve our horrendous left back options. I will always love Jordan Rhodes but couldn’t see that happening unfortunately... Don’t think it would take much too bring big Grant back, 3/4 million? If we can spend 7 on an unproven 19 year old then that’s peanuts ;).. Who knows who TM is after though, he keeps everything under wraps and it’s rare anything leaks. Most of our signings under him have been players who were never really linked to us at the time, and those who do get linked it’s usually bullshit.. I think I prefer it that way.

Olsson, as well as being almost certainly unobtainable, and overrated, is injured for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I find it strange folk want Hanley back as I remember and still rate him as totally rotten. Strange that he forced a move away as much as Marshall but doesn’t get the same disdain. I rated Marshall a lot more than this lump. He would be near the bottom with Lowe of players I’d like to see return 

https://www.rovers.co.uk/news/2016/may/hanley-named-player-of-the-year/

A very good Championship defender.

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I find it strange folk want Hanley back as I remember and still rate him as totally rotten. Strange that he forced a move away as much as Marshall but doesn’t get the same disdain. I rated Marshall a lot more than this lump. He would be near the bottom with Lowe of players I’d like to see return 

I like the type of player Hanley is if not actually the Heed himself but there was quite a few who looked as if they were taking advantage of the relaxed regime around then. He could be ok when he was switched on and not hungover although always a liability because he thought he was cock of the walk and did his own thing on the pitch.  Smooth off those rough edges and there's a decent top half championship muck and bullets defender there.

Wouldn't really want him or any from then back really.

I even think that Hanley is categorised as an extreme type of blood and thunder defender which is a little unfair. He was very intelligent in terms of organising and winning free kicks, and he also had a level of composure on the ball that often was ignored, the penalty he won v Millwall being a prime example. He is certainly no Mulgrew in terms of stepping out but hes not just a clumsy oaf whos big and brave, hes more than that.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I even think that Hanley is categorised as an extreme type of blood and thunder defender which is a little unfair. He was very intelligent in terms of organising and winning free kicks, and he also had a level of composure on the ball that often was ignored, the penalty he won v Millwall being a prime example. He is certainly no Mulgrew in terms of stepping out but hes not just a clumsy oaf whos big and brave, hes more than that.

I and the whole of Scotland disagree with you there, a clumsy oaf is exactly what he is. I can’t really forgive when we were in danger of going down, he was not available, probably through disciplinary for clumsy challenges, anyway we had a relegation 6 pointer and instead of being at the game he was getting pissed with his mates at the horse racing. He can jog on as far as I’m concerned 

• Like 1

This from Mowbray is a little concerning as it does sound as though he would be open to Travis going out on loan once he has got someone in "“Like when all these clubs phone me about Nuttall and Travis, I get told the same, if and when we get the players we are looking at, there’s every chance he will be able to go out on loan".

Travis is ready and deserving of a first team chance.  If he is loaned out, not only is it a stupid move because he is ready to have a positive impact on our first team, it also sends out a bad message to all of the other young players at the club.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Travis has just put in 3 mom performances unless the lad himself is really pushing for a loan move ,we'd be mad to sanction that

Saturdays game will pitch us up against a player I championed earlier in the season in Jake Cooper... Big no nonesense defender who is a serious threat at set pieces (very much in the Shane Duffy mould) and gets his fair share of goals  , he had been linked with Rangers in the summer but has recently signed a new deal at Millwall

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

This from Mowbray is a little concerning as it does sound as though he would be open to Travis going out on loan once he has got someone in "“Like when all these clubs phone me about Nuttall and Travis, I get told the same, if and when we get the players we are looking at, there’s every chance he will be able to go out on loan".

Travis is ready and deserving of a first team chance.  If he is loaned out, not only is it a stupid move because he is ready to have a positive impact on our first team, it also sends out a bad message to all of the other young players at the club.

I don't think for one minute he will let Travis go. I think he is saying that we are in a similar situation to other clubs in that the phone never stops ringing about certain players and we have to be patient. Other teams are trying to balance their squads and bring in the right people first before letting anyone go. 

13 minutes ago, Kamy100 said:

If Travis does go out on loan after recent performances and we then revert to the Evans & Smallwood axis, that would very much be a black mark against Mowbray. 

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

If Travis does go out on loan after recent performances and we then revert to the Evans & Smallwood axis, that would very much be a black mark against Mowbray. 

Along with the poor defending and lack of fitness?

The main thing about his comments is that he still doesn't think we need to bring defenders in and is looking for forward players, why? In terms of goals scored we are 13th, only a few goals away from around 9th/10th, we are short of a real good goal scoring forward, obviously bringing in wingers who can bag a few and another forward midifielder would be great, but one striker who can bag 10-15 a season would be fine at the moment. However goals conceded we are 21st in the league, only conceding one less than 22nd and 2 less than 23rd, surely we need defenders and maybe 2 or 3 defenders?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I find it inconceivable that Mowbray would even consider sending Travis out on loan. He has proved himself to be up to the standard required and if he goes out I think that may be the last we see of him as his disenchantment may see him push for a permanent move away. He is as good if not better than what we have in central midfield but can also cover at right back better than Bennett.

• Like 4

Letting Downing leave for me would be a really poor decision, when called upon he’s been better than Lenihan this season then unceremoniously dropped at the first opportunity!

• Like 6

Mowbray always says if a player knocks on his door asking to leave, he will treat them fairly. That's fair enough, but I don't see how we are currently in a position to let Downing leave. We need a replacement , even a loan in before we do. 

If Travis is allowed leave on loan, I would be very annoyed. In fact I would like at this point if Mowbray just came out and said what's we are all thinking. The guy had got the MOM in the 3 games he had played in, there is no chance he is going on loan. I can't see him going, but if he does, I think it would be the worst call Mowbray has made so far as manager. It would show poor judgement and a severe lack of awareness. A youth player cannot be sent on loan after taking his opportunity so spectacularly 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

Letting Downing leave for me would be a really poor decision, when called upon he’s been better than Lenihan this season then unceremoniously dropped at the first opportunity!

I think that being a bit selective. He made a massive mistake in the Boro game which got him dropped. Complete air kick under no pressure that put their striker clean through on goal he got very lucky that it didn't cost us a point. He had a very good game vs Sheff Wednesday but he was very poor in his appearance earlier in the season. He's a League 1 defender who did a job for us when we were at that level. If we got an adequate replacement such as Bauer I would be fine with him leaving.

4 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I think that being a bit selective. He made a massive mistake in the Boro game which got him dropped. Complete air kick under no pressure that put their striker clean through on goal he got very lucky that it didn't cost us a point. He had a very good game vs Sheff Wednesday but he was very poor in his appearance earlier in the season. He's a League 1 defender who did a job for us when we were at that level. If we got an adequate replacement such as Bauer I would be fine with him leaving.

Didn’t he himself recover after the air kick and clear off the line? 

Downing should only be allowed to leave if we bring in another centre back. By letting him go we'd be left with 2 first team centre backs, both of which are converted midfielders.

I was underwhelmed by signing him to say the least but his attitude won me over. Did a sterling job for parts of last season but then dropped off understandably when Lenihan got fit again. He doesn't seem to moan about being back up and always gives his all when he comes on. A good player for us and it'd be a shame to see him go but, providing we have a replacement in mind, it's the right decision. He deserves to be playing every week.

• Like 3

I like Downing, I think he's a solid defender. How on earth he is below Williams and Rodwell in the pecking order is beyond me. TM clearly doesn't rate him so a move away seems like a sensible option. He'll be a good signing for a lge 1 club. If this opens the door for some young players in the youth team then I can accept that. 

I said a while ago that we could use the final couple of months of the season as a chance to blood some youngsters and see what they can do. We probably aren't going down and we probably aren't going up either, so it's a perfect opportunity to blood them. If we are ever to return to the premier league, it is going to be built on quality youngsters coming through the youth team. We can't afford to buy our way to promotion, so it's vital we give the youngsters a chance.  

• Like 1

Downing is the equivalent of Smallwood. Great squad players at this level that can do specific jobs for the benifit of the team.

I think downing is the best defender of crosses and aerial balls that we have at the club. If he goes and we bring someone in fair enough but I'd rather get a player in first and not be left empty handed.

Downing out Bauer in, Wharton and Grayson to be involved in the squad. I would be more than happy with that. If Downing wants first team football then we shouldn't stand in his way. He did really well last season and was a complete unsung hero I thought. Good luck Paul if you do leave. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Downing should only be allowed to leave if we bring in another centre back. By letting him go we'd be left with 2 first team centre backs, both of which are converted midfielders.

I was underwhelmed by signing him to say the least but his attitude won me over. Did a sterling job for parts of last season but then dropped off understandably when Lenihan got fit again. He doesn't seem to moan about being back up and always gives his all when he comes on. A good player for us and it'd be a shame to see him go but, providing we have a replacement in mind, it's the right decision. He deserves to be playing every week.

Judging by what Mowbray has said it looks like he wants to go play 1st team football which is fair enough. 

Got to factor in he's out of contract in the summer anyway along with Rodwell. We really need another centre half even if he was to stay, I prefer Williams at cb to lb but doesn't mean he's any good. Rodwell at CB hasn't worked so far and I can't see it working unless we switch to a back 3.

Would anyone fancy Steven Caulker, I see he's without a club?

Just now, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Downing out Bauer in, Wharton and Grayson to be involved in the squad. I would be more than happy with that. If Downing wants first team football then we shouldn't stand in his way. He did really well last season and was a complete unsung hero I thought. Good luck Paul if you do leave. 

No point keeping Wharton around unless the lad is going to play. He needs to be recalled and sent somewhere he will actually start every week. I still think that he could do that at league 1 level, lad needs 1st team experience.

• Like 1