BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Slightly late on this, but regarding comments on Patsy (Palmer), he was never really going to make it here. Completely the wrong player for Tony's negative type of square ball, pass it back to the keeper from the opponents half - holding on football. Certainly not a player to bring on when we're under the cosh (and made worse when Brereton was on at the same time). No doubt we'll all be keeping tabs on him at Bristol City and his name will be brought up if he does well there whilst we slip into a turgid mid-table borefest eternally waiting for Rothwell to be unleashed (As I recall Bowyer said a similar thing about our team back in the day - when in reality he constantly set teams up to try and draw).

Listening to Mowbray he's unlikely to be replaced either. I presume as we're 'practically safe' that we've given up on this season and the 'we'll strengthen in January if we're looking like a contender for promotion' line that was mooted several months ago was completely true.

F.A. Cup to save the season? ?

It would make no sense at all to loan Travis out at this point after he has just made an impact in the first team.

I don't think Mowbray is one to put personal issues before the good of the club. Also can't see Travis pushing for it now given his current opportunity to impress.

Don't think he is going anywhere 

Edited by Crimpshrine

54 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

It only suggests that Travis is looking like a very good player. Pgoba was in and out of the United team, and although he is probably United's most talented player, we know full-well how he and Mourinho had fallen out, big time. The fact that you're very good can outweigh any sort of spat.

True, but Mowbray isn't as petty or self absorbed as mourinho 

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

And Travis isn't as good as Pogba. ? Let's see. I think most who have seen Travis over recent games want him to stay on, but who knows what the real reason is behind Mowbray's reluctance to play him so far this season? I just think there is more to it than "Mowbray never gives youth a chance".

Well the fact we are swamped in that position probably hasn't helped. But I would hope the jersey is his now 

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Downing is one of the first on the list of people we need to upgrade if we want to progress. No doubt a top bloke and a good pro but we really need to be aiming higher as a club. File into the same category as Smallwood and Williams. Not in a rush to get rid of him as he likely won't kick up a stink but at the same time if he wants to go and there is an opportunity to strengthen the squad then make it happen.

The trouble is I don't get the impression that a new, quality, proven, natural CB is on Mowbray's radar, and I suspect we're more likely to let him go and then cart on for the remainder of the season with what we have, which is trying to convert Rodwell and Williams into CBs and putting Grayson on the bench. Square pegs into round holes and experimenting with positions.

Downing wants to go somewhere he can play regularly then fair enough, make it happen, but bring in a replacement who is a CB who is going to IMPROVE the team.

I actually think Downing is perfectly placed in the squad. He's a decent enough defender to have as a short-term replacement if one of the starting centre backs gets injured and thus far has been happy to be on the bench. Not sure how upgrading a reserve centre back would help progress the club.

The better move would be to bring in would be someone to replace Lennihan or Mulgrew.

3 hours ago, tomphil said:

Just handed nice new contracts out though so that's the pecking order he's created, his favs first and the rest second.

Come on Tony lad develop that ruthless streak !

Somebody check on the welfare of Biz his pet unicorn keeps stepping on the emoji button.

5 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

This from Mowbray is a little concerning as it does sound as though he would be open to Travis going out on loan once he has got someone in "“Like when all these clubs phone me about Nuttall and Travis, I get told the same, if and when we get the players we are looking at, there’s every chance he will be able to go out on loan".

Travis is ready and deserving of a first team chance.  If he is loaned out, not only is it a stupid move because he is ready to have a positive impact on our first team, it also sends out a bad message to all of the other young players at the club.

Not sure where you've pulled that quote from exactly, but I've seen the interview on ifollow where he says something exactly like this

BUT

He immediately follows with (verbatim):

"...But at this moment, particularly with Travis - I would suggest Travis isn't going anywhere now because he's put himself in the forefront of playing."

So apologies if you're not referencing this, but if you are - that's a bit naughty 

I've heard you were a journalist but Jesus Christ ?

• Like 3

Out of contract Premier league players 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11595964/out-of-contract-premier-league-players-who-could-leave-for-free-this-summer 

I would take Boruc as competition for Raya. 

Norwood from Brighton. Think he is on loan with Sheffield united though if I'm not mistaken, so one would assume they are front of the queue.

Realistically that's about the best I would expect from that list 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Out of contract Premier league players 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11670/11595964/out-of-contract-premier-league-players-who-could-leave-for-free-this-summer 

I would take Boruc as competition for Raya. 

Norwood from Brighton. Think he is on loan with Sheffield united though if I'm not mistaken, so one would assume they are front of the queue.

Realistically that's about the best I would expect from that list 

I’d sooner have Raya as competition for Petr Cech.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Would love a midfield of Woodburn, Smallwood, and Norwood. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

When Mowbray goes, get Sherwood in.

As long as nobody burns their small wood ?

I was going to say we need Steele in this division, not Wood, but that didn't get us very far! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's already signed for Sheffield United. He was a loan to then buy when the transfer window opened.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’d sooner have Raya as competition for Petr Cech.

Cech's absolutely useless these days for me, about as mobile as a living statue.

Don't get the criticism of Raya at all. He's one of the better keepers around anywhere for me and he's still only 23. Not many I'd swap him for yet people complain because he miscues the odd kick.

He'll be leaving us for better things at some point I'd wager, not the other way round.

• Like 4

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Cech's absolutely useless these days for me, about as mobile as a living statue.

Don't get the criticism of Raya at all. He's one of the better keepers around anywhere for me and he's still only 23. Not many I'd swap him for yet people complain because he miscues the odd kick.

He'll be leaving us for better things at some point I'd wager, not the other way round.

You don’t think Cech would be an asset for a Championship club?

49 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Would love a midfield of Woodburn, Smallwood, and Norwood. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

When Mowbray goes, get Sherwood in.

Eastwood back in goal... who else?

Ashley Westwood from Burnley? Or is that too much.

Deffo don't want Clint back if we get another keeper lets get a proper one I don't think we've signed a solid established keeper since Robinson 10 years ago.

The lad we have as Raya's back up seems fine for now so maybe a good upcoming prospect who's a decent height could be sourced. Not a 19 year old one for millions of pounds though !