BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I fear that like many others you underappreciate how impressive his goal and assist returns are. And how difficult it would be even if we got every penny to reinvest, to replace him.

Look at the other attacking players for various fees that we have on our books that Mowbray has signed. Armstrong, Rothwell, Samuel, Brereton, Gladwin. None have come close to suggest they could make up the surplus of goals needed. And theres over 10m of attackers there.

Well I did say it would be impossible to replace him like for like so the system of play would have to change, it would be a big blow I don't think anyone is underestimating that.  But if and when it happens it needn't be the end of the world but it will need some smart recruitment to probably replace the only real flair we have with some pace out wide and/or a good creative mid otherwise it will be bland.

1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

Spot on. 

People wanting a 'pacey wide man' to come in to the first team, how many of the 92 clubs also will be after the exact same thing? I'd reckon a good 3/4's.

Yet we did unearth one from nowhere in the form of Chapman ?

I disagree 3/4's of the clubs might be after them because they are out of fashion at the moment, not many like them it's not the modern way. Souness was certainly a forward thinker when he declared 'the winger is dead' in about 2003 ....... just before he bought Emerton and Reid and tried to play them as wingers ?

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yet we did unearth one from nowhere in the form of Chapman ?

I disagree 3/4's of the clubs might be after them because they are out of fashion at the moment, not many like them it's not the modern way. Souness was certainly a forward thinker when he declared 'the winger is dead' in about 2003 ....... just before he bought Emerton and Reid and tried to play them as wingers ?

Maybe, they went out of fashion at the birth of the tiki-taka obsession started by Barcelona. 

However right across Europe now, fast wingers are the first port of call. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Liverpool, Man City... Closer to home, Wolves in The Championship last year. Wingers with pace are like gold dust at any level of football. When one comes available there's always an almighty scramble for them.

Funny you mention Chapman too as I'd love him back, fits the bill perfectly, a lot of this board see him as a 'stay well away' which with his injury record i guess you can understand.

7 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Maybe, they went out of fashion at the birth of the tiki-taka obsession started by Barcelona. 

However right across Europe now, fast wingers are the first port of call. Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Liverpool, Man City... Closer to home, Wolves in The Championship last year. Wingers with pace are like gold dust at any level of football. When one comes available there's always an almighty scramble for them.

Funny you mention Chapman too as I'd love him back, fits the bill perfectly, a lot of this board see him as a 'stay well away' which with his injury record i guess you can understand.

Fair points but I think it's a bit different talking about elite level because those guys come with more than pace, a lot more so yes they are very much sought after and not ten a penny.

We are at the meat and drink end though and just raw pace is a good enough starting point lower in the English leagues but the trend seems to be play 'wide' midfielders which is probably imo just a bit of a cop out because basic midfielders are probably what is most churned out these days, there's an abundance so they give them names and accommodate them.

A proper wide midfielder and a proper winger are obviously two different things but these days the tendancy seems to be fill out your squad with midfielders then bung one or two out wide. I'm also of a mind that at a different time the likes of Henley, Nyambe and Bell would've been encouraged to be wingers because of their pace and lets face it non of them seem really natural with the art of being full back or wingbacks it's very much having to be drilled into them.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Alternative headline---"Mowbray cottons on at last"

Or "Smallwood's rush of blood  saves Rovers millions".

Wasn't TM talking about Travis (and one or two others) going out on loan prior to the window and Smallwood's suspension?

Still. If you can claim it as a stroke of genius on your part so much the better I suppose!

(And yes I know they both started the Sheff Utd game. ONE game)

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Proper " wingers are born and not made.

As seen with Tom Cairney. Still yet to forgive bowyer for that shithousery.

That was less about Tom Cairney and all about trying to build a team around Lowe and Evans and make captain fantastic into something he wasn't so he was worth a few quid. GB did some cracking stuff at rovers but that was a balls up.

• Like 3

Millwall had some useful 'proper' wingers, who were quick and ran to the by-line and got crosses in. You don't see a lot of that these days. I'd like to see someone like that come in this transfer window, because we haven't got anyone like that at the moment.

Apart from that, i'm glad Mowbray has woken up to the idea of throwing academy players in. There's nothing to lose if they fail, however most times they actually out-perform expectations. Shame that Brereton has been in the way of Nuttall/Butterworth this season so far.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mercer said:

I would remind you that two of our three 'mainstays' (Graham and Mulgrew) we signings made by C o y l e and without doubt, potentially the most calamitous signing made by Rovers in a long while (Brereton) was made by Mowbray.  I think Mowbray's track record on player trading is poor.

I said he improved the squad, which he did. 

Calamitous? Man, give over. 

18 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Are we really overachieving? You seem desperate to suggest we are but I think we are about on par in terms of league position compared to where we should be, in terms of wages as much as everything else.

There are teams above us (Bristol City, Hull, QPR and Birmingham) all of whom I would suggest are "overachieving" more than we are. Whereas below us, only Stoke (mismamaged this season and under considerable reconstruction) and Preston (riddled with injuries and have fat less resources) surprise me in terms of being below us.

I also think you are overestimating our competitiveness by mentioning just Preston and Wigan. We have been beaten by more than one goal on quite a few occasions.

Mowbray is doing a good job but his ability to build the squad with new players is questionable and hit and miss and his loyalty to some is also a big concern.

I won't say this again. Go to the prediction thread. From fans expectations, we are over achieving. Gloss it up or spin it however you want, that is a fact. 

Their expectations may have changed, but that was down to our good start. Under Mowbray, with his squad. 

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I won't say this again. Go to the prediction thread. From fans expectations, we are over achieving. Gloss it up or spin it however you want, that is a fact. 

Their expectations may have changed, but that was down to our good start. Under Mowbray, with his squad. 

Its not a fact, its very subjective. Mixing both opinions on here with those of people I know who are supporters and the general consensus that I get is that we are not too far from where people thought we would be. Mid table mediocrity, some thinking of a faint play off push, some fearing being dragged the other way, but middle of the road.

You cant say we are over achieving as a fact.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not a fact, its very subjective. Mixing both opinions on here with those of people I know who are supporters and the general consensus that I get is that we are not too far from where people thought we would be. Mid table mediocrity, some thinking of a faint play off push, some fearing being dragged the other way, but middle of the road.

You cant say we are over achieving as a fact.

i didn't say that we are overachieving as a fact. I said the fact is that the majority of fans in the thread said survival was their ambition. I personally expected more. 

We are only 6 points off the play offs. I don't think any fan would have refused that at this point of the season, if asked before the season kicked off.

Would you? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I said he improved the squad, which he did. 

Calamitous? Man, give over. 

A signing that will cost Rovers £10million+ over the next 3 years and the lad's not even good enough to start in Graham's absence!

Didn't see him at Sheffield when he did start but when he's come on as sub, I've seen nothing at all to suggest we have a player on our hands - to me, at best looks like a free transfer 'chance'.

Really hope he starts tonight but wont be sat in the JW holding my breath. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

i didn't say that we are overachieving as a fact. I said the fact is that the majority of fans in the thread said survival was their ambition. I personally expected more. 

We are only 6 points off the play offs. I don't think any fan would have refused that at this point of the season, if asked before the season kicked off.

Would you? 

Yes.

Given the momentum carried forward from promotion and Mowbray's spend of  £10million+ on two strikers. 

On 14/01/2019 at 09:41, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

Save the War chest for the summer. Stability and an outside chance of a play off push would be just the ticket for this season and then hit the ground running next. I like TMs thinking, he is wise and astute and will develop this club back to where we belong if he sticks to his plan. 

1574381616_BenBreretonsigns2.thumb.jpg.19981468e7bd06e85a6eef9d99262b1e.jpg

?

• Like 1

• Backroom
49 minutes ago, Mercer said:

A signing that will cost Rovers £10million+ over the next 3 years and the lad's not even good enough to start in Graham's absence!

Didn't see him at Sheffield when he did start but when he's come on as sub, I've seen nothing at all to suggest we have a player on our hands - to me, at best looks like a free transfer 'chance'.

Really hope he starts tonight but wont be sat in the JW holding my breath. 

If he costs us £10m+, that means he’ll have performed... bring it on, Ben!

• Like 5