BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

Chris Powell :“I’ve spoken to Tony Mowbray about him and he said he came back from his last loan experience a different player and they see him as one for the future. We hope to help him and that he can help us for the rest of the season.”

Sam Hart one for the future? He is 22 now and should have been playing for the first team if he is good enough. His contracts ends in june ?

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

i didn't say that we are overachieving as a fact. I said the fact is that the majority of fans in the thread said survival was their ambition. I personally expected more. 

We are only 6 points off the play offs. I don't think any fan would have refused that at this point of the season, if asked before the season kicked off.

Would you? 

I think 14th place is ok, I certainly dont think we are underachieving, nor overachieving for that matter. I would have been content had that been offered in the summer with the resources at our disposal, no more.

I am happy with the job Mowbray is doing, I have said many times that I worry about his recruitment and dont feel hes progressed the team much with a very healthy summer budget (which has to surely cause a change in expectations), and I also would like him to show far less loyalty to players along the way who come up short to allow us to progress.

That being said, theres certainly a pride in the shirt again and hes done a good job overall culminating in promotion last season.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

"No ones ITK on this forums" 100% record for you so far Madon - keep it up.

Surely if we are being pedantic, Downing has yet to leave ("next day or two") and the team was slightly off on Saturday. (IIRC correctly Armstrong was in, albeit so was Nuttall) ?

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely if we are being pedantic, Downing has yet to leave ("next day or two") and the team was slightly off on Saturday. (IIRC correctly Armstrong was in, albeit so was Nuttall) ?

Haha, I heard about Mulgrew out and Nuttall in so guessed the rest ?

Downing.. No idea but was told he was off to Pompey,  time yet!

Edit: I also said Willem Tomlinson was off to Exeter, that's not happened yet either!

Edited by Madon
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Madon said:

Edit: I also said Willem Tomlinson was off to Exeter, that's not happened yet either!

You need Nixon to help you with some back tracking 

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am happy with the job Mowbray is doing, I have said many times that I worry about his recruitment and dont feel hes progressed the team much with a very healthy summer budget (which has to surely cause a change in expectations), and I also would like him to show far less loyalty to players along the way who come up short to allow us to progress.

Agree with this. Has pulled out of a downward spiral to nothingness but recruitment in summer was disappointing. So many gaps unfilled. He seemed to sign a team of mid-fielders, then he turns round and says Travis' emergence (very recent and down to Smallwood's injury) has saved us millions!

Sounds like a severe criticism of his own dealings to me.

• Like 1

If tonight doesn't show him he needs some defenders then nothing will. He talks up some of the under 23 lads and then plays Bell and Nyambe as centre backs. Another example of what he says and what transpires on the pitch being two different things.

Also rather worrying that he still continues to pick Bennett at right back when he clearly isn't good enough to play there.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

I’m quite concerned by Tony’s relaxed attitude towards us not bringing anyone in - you can only hope it’s different behind the scenes. We could do with 2 full backs, a CB as seemingly Downing is off and we simply can’t be reliant on Mulgrew/Rodwell to stay fit. We also need 2 wingers for me and potentially still a Graham foil (dependant on TM’s faith in Nuttall).

We can’t be leaving it all til the summer - there’s still a heck of a lot of points to play for and we’re simply playing too many out of position. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

• Backroom

A new defender is needed, a proper winger is needed and Travis must be retained, also Brereton to league one for the rest of the season 

The biggest problem with signing players is that the manager still doesn't know his best formation so he isn't likely to know with any certainty what sort of players he wants. You take a side like Sheffield United Wilder wants to play 3-5-2 and has signed players to suit that formation. Whereas Mowbray doesn't know what formation to play and that has resulted in his signings such as Rothwell, Brereton, Reed, Palmer and Armstrong all playing in numerous positions.

Also a lot of deadwood to get rid of in this window and in the summer. Williams, Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Brereton, Conway, Samuel, Bennett (as a full back) not good enough if we want to build a side capable of top 6.

A big two windows coming up. For me it's time to say goodbye to a number of those who were part of the promotion. With 7-8 new faces needed to come in and help the club push on.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

Chapman will in all likelihood be very cheap. Nobodies seen him play to say whether his pace has or hasn't gone. For the ability we know he possesses he's worth a gamble if the price is right. But not as our only winger as it would be foolish to relay on him 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Think people need to realise that Chapmans career is probably over so why the hell should we sign the guy? His pace is gone and he's constantly on the treatment table. 

Ben Gladwin mk2 if we sign him.

Is he injured again? I thought he'd been ok for the last few months.

If we don’t invest in some proper defenders this window, serious questions need to be asked of our recruitment policy.

Not loans, not ones for the future, not emergency back up, not converted midfielders. Proper defenders.

The reluctance to pay anything more than a nominal fee for a defender is really coming back to bite us at this moment in time. It’s blindingly obvious we need to strengthen this area, and failure to do so could prove disastrous... also makes the Brereton signing seem all the more ludicrous!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

"No ones ITK on this forums" 100% record for you so far Madon - keep it up.

Did Downing move on and I missed it?

5 hours ago, Madon said:

Willem Tomlinson to Exeter was in the LT a few weeks ago. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

The biggest problem with signing players is that the manager still doesn't know his best formation so he isn't likely to know with any certainty what sort of players he wants. You take a side like Sheffield United Wilder wants to play 3-5-2 and has signed players to suit that formation. Whereas Mowbray doesn't know what formation to play and that has resulted in his signings such as Rothwell, Brereton, Reed, Palmer and Armstrong all playing in numerous positions.

Also a lot of deadwood to get rid of in this window and in the summer. Williams, Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Brereton, Conway, Samuel, Bennett (as a full back) not good enough if we want to build a side capable of top 6.

A big two windows coming up. For me it's time to say goodbye to a number of those who were part of the promotion. With 7-8 new faces needed to come in and help the club push on.

Good post. I think there may be some potential in Bell and (tin hat on) Brereton but more or less spot on. 

We also need a first choice striker in his prime imo. Not one who is nearly 34 or a 19 year old.

I don't think there is any chance whatsoever of challenging for the play offs, neither are we likely to go down so the only interest left in the rest of the season for me is seeing if we can make any quality permanent additions in January who'll improve the starting eleven or seeing if we can integrate some younger lads into the first team set up. For example I'd recall Wharton straight away and give him some game time to see if he's likely to be an asset moving forward.

Does TM have any appetite to do either of these things? Not sure.

• Like 1