BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan V ROVERS 28/11/18

17 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

So a month ago, with ten men and outfield goalkeeper the team, was rightly praised to the rafters.  Now they are awful.  Explain that one.

How about you explain it? What you've described is entirely accurate and entirely appropriate.

Perhaps we were on a good run then and looking at Top 6, now we are on a terrible run and looking what's below.

Does that help?

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

No he won't. Williams has played for villa , Bristol city and us in the championship and spent most if his career their. Bell has played for Fleetwood as season for us and he will be back in league one next season

I said a couple of weeks ago that if you combined Bell and Williams together you wouldn't have a good left back. If you added Hart, who's still on our books I believe, to the mixture you still wouldn't either. Maybe Mowbray isn't sure of what a left back should look like.

• Like 2

I'm starting to think even if you swapped rothwell for Armstrong or Travis for bell or whatever people suggest it would be the same outcome. The players deserve slating tonight because they had no heart or desire but the buck stops with mowbray for me. 

You can change that line up all you like we aren't going to beat anybody convincingly. We need proper width as a matter of urgency. Some players aren't good enough and it's as simple as that and the way he sets us up with players in unfamiliar positions, not playing to anybody's strengths and playing with such fear of the opposition I'm afraid more nights like this are inevitably and if we do get positive results it will be down to dogged determination in spite of mowbray not because of him

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

So a month ago, with ten men and outfield goalkeeper the team, was rightly praised to the rafters.  Now they are awful.  Explain that one.

It's called form

Rightly they are being called for what they are at present, awful. In fact bloody awful.

Edited by Rover_Shaun

Before I make my point, I agree with the comments about our season-long defensive, dire midfield partnership, and also Mowbray's unfathomable selections and formations. I really think he has mentally tied himself in knots and is over-complicating his already negative approach to the game.

Having said all that, it is only 3 or 4 games ago that Mowbray and THIS team were being hailed as possible play-off hopes. Yes, by many of tonight's critics. 

I think the squad is strong enough for mid-table. Genuinely. But we need to have faith in Reed at centre mid, and play Rothwell, certainly before agent Palmer. 

Smallwood will be dropped against Wednesday, but expecting Rothwell to turn this form around single-handed is asking a lot, but he will improve us by January. 

I am not calling for Mowbray's head, and not many will be by end of Jan. ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that if you combined Bell and Williams together you wouldn't have a good left back. If you added Hart, who's still on our books I believe, to the mixture you still wouldn't either. Maybe Mowbray isn't sure of what a left back should look like.

Mulgrew probably the only natural option there.  Given he's not a dominant centre half, possibly suited to LB and played the role before.lt also increases the height of the back line.  Only problem is he can't get up and down (which TM wants from his full back/wing backs).

Now if he had a decent winger in front of him...

Tonight was a total embarrassment.

The alarm bells are well and truly ringing.

Take responsibility Mowbray.

Two midfielders as centre halves, two sitting midfielders out of their depth, a striker out wide left, a central midfielder out wide right – square pegs in round holes and Mowbray seems oblivious.

We have so many gaping gaps and Joe Averages, the £7million Brereton farce looks more absurd by the match.  Windass at £2million was far too hot for Rovers to handle.

We could have been 4 or even 5 down at half time.  Individually and collectively our defence was shambolic.

You could have been excused for thinking either Kean or Owen were still in charge.

No excuses, no dressing this up as a one-off bad day at the office (there are too many of those), the buck stops with Mowbray.  I think I was generous in referring to him as a steady Eddie.

I think we’ve seen poor motivation, poor tactics and poor recruitment from Mowbray.

An absolute stinking night. 

Tonight was almost like the players want Mowbray sacked the way they performed. Inept doesn't do the lot of them justice. I saw players pulling out of challenges, not chasing back, no third man running, giving the ball away so cheaply it was criminal and a general lack of passion. Where has this togetherness, this fighting spirit gone that the manager and his players prided themselves on? It would be difficult to mention specific examples of shocking play because every player showed them, some players over and over again. If this malaise carries on it will be Mowbray who cops the flak and the decent work he has done will soon be forgotten.

It's back to basics for me on Saturday and a team that shows they care. If we lose that then the rumblings will gather momentum and with such a difficult December we could easily be in the bottom six at the turn of the year.

• Like 1

I have to say I'm struggling to recall a performance as bad as that. Delving back into the archives even our lowest ebb under the clown Coyle I'm struggling to think of many occasions where we were worse than that tonight. 

We've seen poor spells, poor performances where we've come out with a point or 3, poor individual performances on plenty of occasions under Mowbray but tonight it was all rolled into one and I don't really think anyone comes out of it with any credit whatsoever.

Full backs atrocious. Midfield non-existent. No pace, no creativity, limited to repeated long balls forward which Wigan lapped up all night, defensively fragile and opened up with ease as soon as pressure applied. 

Wigan completely coasting at 2-0, we scab a goal back and then they immediately restore their cushion with their first attack. Dreadful

I'm almost embarrassed we managed a goal to our name because we certainly didn't deserve it.

We've now been humbled by two poor sides in Wigan and PNE. They've both battered us, scored 7 goals against us and they probably couldn't believe how poor we were for a side sitting well ahead of them in the table.

Remember for a moment just what a horrible run of form Wigan had been on before tonight and how they overcame all that to put us to the sword. 

We're in for a long hard season folks unless something changes quickly. I've no idea what the manager is trying to do or what his grand plan is because on recent displays we're all over the place and the team and players look clueless, disinterested and disorganised. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 3