BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan V ROVERS 28/11/18

As has been said, last season I sat through so many awful awful games where we won only because the other teams weren't very good (polite).

They closed the DE and although i still go, i don't enjoy the experience (being back in the BBE isn't for me)

It's almost as if the decay and rot that has been covered over by good PR has shown its self once more.

waggot and co disgust me with their arrogance.

bad times

• Like 4

Shambolic to say the least. Rovers need a good kick up the arse ahead of the match on Saturday. Drop the undropables, give Lewis Travis and Big Ben and Joe Rothwell a run out.  We need players hungry for the opportunity, some players getting to comfortable without the effort. My thoughts plus words from the gaffa & more. 

• Like 1

It’s been brewing for a while. QPR was an appalling performance, we then scabbed a draw against Rotherham.

If you want to progress you’ve got to be ruthless. A lot of those players may have ‘plenty of credit in the bank’, but are they Championship quality? If not, it doesn’t matter one iota what warriors they were in that tin pot League last season, get them out the side.

Upgrade or you go backwards, we know that as a club all too well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, barry_ said:

As has been said, last season I sat through so many awful awful games where we won only because the other teams weren't very good (polite).

They closed the DE and although i still go, i don't enjoy the experience (being back in the BBE isn't for me)

It's almost as if the decay and rot that has been covered over by good PR has shown its self once more.

waggot and co disgust me with their arrogance.

bad times

Wow. Glad to see no one is over reacting

A couple of defeats really brings them out 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

All stems from this crazy false nine business - what the hell as all that been about? Would not be surprised if TM has lost a lot of credit with his players. 

I was thinking something similar. Imagine Rothwell and Brereton sitting on the bench, whilst inferior or players who don't even play in your position start ahead of you. 

Another thing the fringe players must notice is that no matter what they do, Mowbray will stick with his faves, like Smallwood for example, or Armstrong. Must be frustrating. 

Two poor performances and I don't want to see it continue, but the nature of the Championship is that you're going to have a bad run of 4-5 games at some point. 

We would have all taken this league position at the start of the season so there is no reason to panic. 

• Like 1

I did not see the full game, just the goals live on SSN. Depressing.

Rodwell was quite a special show on how to concede a goal from a simple to defend situation. I struggle to work out how he did it.

To cheer my self up I recently changed my avatar. It helped me.

Our current home and away colours are suited to beachwear, apparently the players agree.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

I did not see the full game, just the goals live on SSN. Depressing.

Rodwell was quite a special show on how to concede a goal from a simple to defend situation. I struggle to work out how he did it.

To cheer my self up I recently changed my avatar. It helped me.

Our current home and away colours are suited to beachwear, apparently the players agree.

Rodwell really is not a CB no matter how much he says he is and wants to play there. He may have started there in his youth days but there is a reason all managers since have put him midfield where he has been bought for 15 million and played for England.

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I was thinking something similar. Imagine Rothwell and Brereton sitting on the bench, whilst inferior or players who don't even play in your position start ahead of you. 

Another thing the fringe players must notice is that no matter what they do, Mowbray will stick with his faves, like Smallwood for example, or Armstrong. Must be frustrating. 

Yup think the harmony is being tested. Cannot think of much worse than being hung out to dry in strange formations and positions by your manager.

• Like 1

Just now, JacknOry said:

Rodwell really is not a CB no matter how much he says he is and wants to play there. He may have started there in his youth days but there is a reason all managers since have put him midfield where he has been bought for 15 million and played for England.

Yes. Rodwell is likely to be a victim of Mowbray's desire to reinvent players.

I understand Mowbray's wish to develop a proper footballer into a CB so as to progress into a ball passing team but I think Rodwell is not physically aggressive enough to cope as a CB.

He is a fine footballer who is better off as a CM, good feet and passing.

I was disappointed Mowbray broke the 'stays in the dressing room' rule, still if the players are angrily blaming each other it can't be Mowbray's fault.......hmmmm.

• Like 3

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes. Rodwell is likely to be a victim of Mowbray's desire to reinvent players.

I understand Mowbray's wish to develop a proper footballer into a CB so as to progress into a ball passing team but I think Rodwell is not physically aggressive enough to cope as a CB.

He is a fine footballer who is better off as a CM, good feet and passing.

I was disappointed Mowbray broke the 'stays in the dressing room' rule, still if the players are angrily blaming each other it can't be Mowbray's fault.......hmmmm.

What's the last paragraph about? Were the players fighting? 

5 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Conway made a difference when he came on and put in a great free-kick for our goal; the only decent player on the pitch for us last night, for all of 13 minutes. Says it all.

The thing was, that freekick was his first touch of the ball and he had been on the pitch for a good five minutes by then.

51 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Two poor performances and I don't want to see it continue, but the nature of the Championship is that you're going to have a bad run of 4-5 games at some point. 

We would have all taken this league position at the start of the season so there is no reason to panic. 

I think the only reasons for some of the reaction is the manner of how we are approaching games. At Preston we played 4-6-0 don't care what anyone says. That's what we did. Then at Wigan we start slow and at 1-0 down at half time. We bring on a defender for our only forward.

It comes across as sabotage and frankly takes the piss out of any supporters who travelled to both games.

If you were to "experiment" with something in your day to day working job and it back fired massively. Not only would an inquest be taken into why you've done it. You'd likely be sacked for misconduct.

This situation is very similar. After 2 years the manager doesn't know his best formation or team. This is shown in the recruitment in the summer also. He goes on about playing a passing game yet 85%-90% of all our passes are long ball.

He's a shit version of Sam Alardyce. At least you knew with him you'd hardly concede.

This guy looked good in league 1 but any Saturday/Sunday league manager with their level 1 badges would have gone up in that league. We probably had a wage bill that equalled the entire bottom 10-12 clubs combined

• Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic

Mowbray’s tinkering has come home to roost.

He’s admitted he’s trying to change the system that has worked well for us over the last season.

These players aren’t good enough to adapt to a different system. 

Stick to what we know and get back to doing the basics.

• Like 1

Let's not beat around the bush here lads. 

Mowbray choosing to continue playing Smallwood - he was beaten or missed a tackle at least 5 times in that game and just jogged back instead of sprinting back.

Playing Dack as a false nine when his whole career has been as an attacking midfield. We have a £7m striker on the bench being played as a RW. He's one of England's biggest prospects based on euro form.

We are losing and he puts on a defender. When we created zero chances. 

Let's put it into perspective. The players are partially to blame - but if I were going to work and had the wrong systems I would be unable to do my job effectively. 

This is exactly what's happening with the team.

• Like 4

• Backroom

Significant adjustments required:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Williams

Bennett    Reed    Rothwell    Conway

Graham  Brereton

Bench:

Leutweiler (covers gk), Downing (covers cb), Bell (covers lb, lm at a push), Rodwell (covers creative cm, cb at a push), Evans (covers aggressive cm), Dack (playmaking option), Armstrong (pacey option up front, on wing at a push).

Square pegs for square holes, play it on the ground through the middle or play it down the wings to cross. Flat back 4 to HOLD THE LINE WHEN DEFENDING.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

We are losing and he puts on a defender. When we created zero chances. 

Many people have identified this so I'm not singling your post out for reply.

To my mind bringing on Williams for Graham was an attempt to solve two problems with one change. Bell had a nightmare first half and his confidence was draining away by the minute. Graham is either unfit or carrying an injury, probably the latter. I thought the substitution was to shore up the left back position, try to use Bell going forward, where many say he is better, and perhaps provide extra cover down our left as we'd been hammered there for 45 minutes.

Whether a good choice or not it wasn't a case of replacing a proven goal scorer with a defender but moving players around to try something different. Personally I can't see the point of putting Armstrong central against defenders the size of Wigan's.

I did feel we had to get Bell out of the game at half time. Didn't expect the move Mowbray made.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 4

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Significant adjustments required:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Williams

Bennett    Reed    Rothwell    Conway

Graham  Brereton

Bench:

Leutweiler (covers gk), Downing (covers cb), Bell (covers lb, lm at a push), Rodwell (covers creative cm, cb at a push), Evans (covers aggressive cm), Dack (playmaking option), Armstrong (pacey option up front, on wing at a push).

Square pegs for square holes, play it on the ground through the middle or play it down the wings to cross. Flat back 4 to HOLD THE LINE WHEN DEFENDING.

Exact same line up as I'd go too, apart from maybe Armstrong up front for either of the front 2. 

If we're going back to basics, then you can't get anymore basic than 4 4 fecking 2.

• Like 3