BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan V ROVERS 28/11/18

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at Mowbray reaction yesterday when we kept losing the ball and mispassing of the ball. Yes your favourite stat that you never stop mentioning

It is a valid argument but it doesn't suit you. 

so if you know the reasons why Mowbray is using Rodwell there then why asked me the question. 

Yet again I told you why we change formation and went 3 at the back, so did @arbitro aswell. 

thanks great. This passing style would be worked in training alot before being played in a match like Martinez did at Wigan when he changed to 4-2-3-1 to 3-4-3 formation

It is a stat perfectly highlighting our total lack of attacking plan going forward and that comes down to the manager. So even if he is frustrated watching the players are doing his gameplan, and its him that needs to sort it. You dont like the stat because it highlights Mowbrays problems at the moment in black and white.

Because you never are willing to criticise him when he makes stupid decisions.

I never asked why is he playing him there. I said just because he has said why he thinks its a good idea doesnt mean it is a good idea, yesterday blatantly proved it is not and he should have signed an actual centre back.

Whatever the supposed reasoning behind the change, it didnt work.

When Martinez took Wigan down?

Just now, Neal said:

My dad has previous with managers outside the ground at Wigan, he almost had a scrap with Paul Ince which turned into a heated a gentlemanly discussion as they walked round the car park at Wigan ?Anyways... Phoned me last night at 10.40 but I couldn't answer, I knew exactly what he was ringing me about, I'd have bet every penny I have he'd met the manager after ringing me at that time. So I calls him today and lo and behold he has.  

Some of you know my dad and Macky (who chaired the Ewood protest meetings), as they left the pub last night the team bus was still there so Macky walks on it pretending to me one of the staff ? when quizzed about what he was doing Macky said "I just wanted to speak to the manager", anyways as they turned round they heard someone say "alright lads?" Mowbray got off the coach to speak to them. 

Keep in mind I'm relaying what was said so it might not be word for word... "what can I say? That was absolutely f*cking embarrasing, I'm f*cking pissed off, they've let the club down, they've let themselves down, they've let me down and you down. I'm absolutely f*cking embarrassed. You lot pay you money and follow us round and they play like that? Absolutely f*cking unacceptable. At which point he apperently apologised to some of the women who were present but said he couldn't help it because of "how pissed off" he was... "I tell you what though, we will f*cking win on Saturday, I'm telling you". My dad didn't say what questions were asked of him but he went on to say "I feel embarrassed talking to you after that but I've told them all exactly what I think". The conversation carried on for some time I think... Mowbray went on "I have to go (apparently because bus was ready to go) but finished by saying... "I've got to go but I'm telling you, we f*cking will win on Saturday" and thanked them for coming before he shook their hands and had some photos with them before he left. 

I think there was a lot more to the conversation than that, it went on for a little while by the sounds of it but that was the main jist of it I think. Perhaps there might be someone present who can correct it or give a more accurate account and fill in the blanks that I missed. What my dad said was that he didn't just look pissed off, he looked upset, tearful almost but also fired up. From the sounds of it I think they were all a bit shocked by his reaction. 

If there's anything I missed out I'll edit the post. 

Best news I’ve read on here for weeks.

4 minutes ago, Neal said:

My dad has previous with managers outside the ground at Wigan, he almost had a scrap with Paul Ince which turned into a heated a gentlemanly discussion as they walked round the car park at Wigan ?Anyways... Phoned me last night at 10.40 but I couldn't answer, I knew exactly what he was ringing me about, I'd have bet every penny I have he'd met the manager after ringing me at that time. So I calls him today and lo and behold he has.  

Some of you know my dad and Macky (who chaired the Ewood protest meetings), as they left the pub last night the team bus was still there so Macky walks on it pretending to me one of the staff ? when quizzed about what he was doing Macky said "I just wanted to speak to the manager", anyways as they turned round they heard someone say "alright lads?" Mowbray got off the coach to speak to them. 

Keep in mind I'm relaying what was said so it might not be word for word... "what can I say? That was absolutely f*cking embarrasing, I'm f*cking pissed off, they've let the club down, they've let themselves down, they've let me down and you down. I'm absolutely f*cking embarrassed. You lot pay you money and follow us round and they play like that? Absolutely f*cking unacceptable. At which point he apperently apologised to some of the women who were present but said he couldn't help it because of "how pissed off" he was... "I tell you what though, we will f*cking win on Saturday, I'm telling you". My dad didn't say what questions were asked of him but he went on to say "I feel embarrassed talking to you after that but I've told them all exactly what I think". The conversation carried on for some time I think... Mowbray went on "I have to go (apparently because bus was ready to go) but finished by saying... "I've got to go but I'm telling you, we f*cking will win on Saturday" and thanked them for coming before he shook their hands and had some photos with them before he left. 

I think there was a lot more to the conversation than that, it went on for a little while by the sounds of it but that was the main jist of it I think. Perhaps there might be someone present who can correct it or give a more accurate account and fill in the blanks that I missed. What my dad said was that he didn't just look pissed off, he looked upset, tearful almost but also fired up. From the sounds of it I think they were all a bit shocked by his reaction. 

He's a good bloke is Tony 

Dunno how he can guarantee a win Saturday mind, but I'll take his word for it as things stand! 

Just now, Mike E said:

Thanks for that Neal. It’s good BUT highlights a key point that he still hasn’t taken responsibility for his own errors.

If we don’t win on Sat, it’s ‘fool me thrice’.

I agree, talk is cheap... Top bloke mind but we all know that. Results are what matter. I might take him at his word and put some money on it, if we lose he can expect me at the players entrance with my palm open. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Neal said:

You won't find that in the Telegraph!!

• Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

You won't find that in the Telegraph!!

Nope. From the sound of it, it seemed like he wanted to have that conversation more than they did, just to be able to say exactly how he feels to the fans for once instead of having to pick his words. 

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

Nope. From the sound of it, it seemed like he wanted to have that conversation more than they did, just to be able to say exactly how he feels to the fans for once instead of having to pick his words. 

He comes across as one of us, he understands the club, town and its supporters. That is why I hope he continues to make a success of this.

He has almost made me forget Venkys even exist, almost.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Great post. Thanks for that Neal.

But we haven't really learned anything.... Or have we. Has anybody ever doubted Tony's commitment and passion. That is his biggest and most endearing assett. However if your going to lambast the squad to supporters like that then you have to be 1000% sure that you did everything right to win that game and the players let you down otherwise it becomes Mourinho esque and the cracks will appear....or have appeared.  I would of felt more comfortable and alot happier if he said WE let you down today. That I would fully accept and we move on

Will always love the man....I could fall out of love with the manager

Edited by Oldgregg86

Just now, Gav said:

He comes across as one of us, he understands the club, town and its supporters. That is why I hope he continues to make a success of this.

He has almost made me forget Venkys even exist, almost.

Absolutely, he just seems to have got himself in a twist recently, I hope he can turn it round and get us back to being hard to beat, we've become the polar opposite. 

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

Great post. Thanks for that Neal.

But we haven't really learned anything. Has anybody ever doubted Tony's commitment and passion. That is his biggest and most endearing assett. However if your going to lambast the squad to supporters like that then you have to be 1000% sure that you did everything right to win that game and the players let you down otherwise it becomes Mourinho esque and the cracks will appear....or have appeared. 

Will always love the man....I could fall out of love with the manager

I agree. I've also said he needs to take the blame for our recent performances. Like my dad's encounter with Paul Ince, he was just as furious and frustrated as TM and we know how that turned out. Fortunately Mowbray is simply a far better manager. A good performance and 3 points on Saturday is the only way to cure all of this. Actions speak louder than words. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Neal said:

i Hope in that discussion your dad mentioned "drop smallwood & evans"

Edited by BankEnd Rover

He's got to get to the bottom of why they are suddenly strolling around like they haven't a care in the world. He does need to start with the man in the mirror in terms of tactics etc but whatever is set out whether they are comfortable with it or not there is zero excuse for lack of application when they are earning 10/20 grand per week.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights again. 

6-0 would not have flattered them 

I thought the Rodwell one was a tricky ball to judge, it kind of looped in the air. However, Williams attempt for their 3rd goal was probably the most pathetic thing I have seen on a football field for a long time. Not alone did the guy skip past him, but he didn't even try and get back. Im not critical of players as ye know from me posting, but I think he needs to go in January. He is an absolute liability at this level and he will targeted more and more. 

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Said last night Williams these days looks like a centre back trying to play left back.

True. He is being skipped past like he isn't there. Looks slow to turn. Slow being an understatement 

He was never Roberto Carlos but I wonder has that injury affected him. 

His attempt at defending last night would have looked bad in Sunday league 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

True. He is being skipped past like he isn't there. Looks slow to turn. Slow being an understatement 

If last night told me anything it is that we desperately need a new left back. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Yep it was poor and Bell was supposedly signed because he was quicker and it seems like Mowbray wants to swap them around according to what they'll be facing which I don't really buy into. If you get yourself a decent steady left back you leave him in to deal with whatever he comes up against week in week out he should be good enough to cope.

Bowyer did similar messing about with the RB position whilst Spurr was mostly left to cope at left back when he was fit.  Leave one or the other in position and let them get to grips with it although I think both Bell and Williams struggle at this level.

• Like 1

Interested to read the TM fan interview.  Good to hear.

One thing that does perplex me though...TM's radio lancs interview today he stated that he's watched Wigan over the last couple of years and they are a good passing side.  Therefore he was surprised they abandoned that approach and went for direct balls into our box.  

Now when ever I've seen Wigan, they have always been aggressive and direct.  Indeed, I said before the game I didn't think we'd cope with their direct approach.  

So if I knew what to expect (and it's exactly what they did second half at Ewood).  How can he not?

Now I may be wrong and Wigan may play like Barcelona most of the time.  The really concerning thing is a team will change to long balls into the box because they know we can't cope. It's clearly a weakness most teams are looking to exploit (and has been since Duffy left).

• Like 1

We always seem to get bullied at Wigan it's another club and set of fans that always get revved up for Rovers but we are too powder puff at the min anyway we need some solid players dotted about the side.

Last season though Wigan were stronger and more aggressive than us throughout the whole season that's why they won the league couple with the fact they went out to roll teams over whereas we like to ponce about too much.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Just watched the highlights again. 

6-0 would not have flattered them 

I thought the Rodwell one was a tricky ball to judge, it kind of looped in the air. However, Williams attempt for their 3rd goal was probably the most pathetic thing I have seen on a football field for a long time. Not alone did the guy skip past him, but he didn't even try and get back. Im not critical of players as ye know from me posting, but I think he needs to go in January. He is an absolute liability at this level and he will targeted more and more. 

Thanks. I was away. I can't bring myself to watch it...maybe in a few weeks...maybe never.

The texts I was getting from my son in London told me all I need to know.

The phrase "playing like a fcking Coyle team" does nothing for your spirits on a nightmare  journey on a shit, privatised circus rail service!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

Williams ‘attempt’ really does get worse every time you watch it. Inexcusable. Simply cannot be in the side on Saturday - would send completely the wrong message that dipping your toe in, doing a pirouette and barely jogging back is acceptable. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!