BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Wigan V ROVERS 28/11/18

27 minutes ago, Biz said:

This kind of opinion I find hilarious. Imagine if football was this simple.

Why do you think Preston constantly played cut backs against us on saturday? Is it because Alex Neil said “go for it” and only did attacking drills for a week!? They looked at our past games and found ways to test us, we crumbled. Equally they sat Dack out the game for large spells and isolated the FBs. It’s not an accident.

I expect and want a pragmatic thoughtful approach personally. Taking that into account, Wigan have a big solid team that are going to trouble us at set pieces. Equally, DG ain’t troubling those two huge centre backs the same way Armstrong running in behind will.

I expect a mixture of the 4231 with changes, perhaps AA up top, Dack, Palmer, Bennett in behind. See Hull away early season for a blueprint.

If I was looking at changing style in future, a subtle move to a 4312 might work with Brererton and AA in front of Dack, Reed and Bennett as wider CMs, Smallwood or Evans as the sitting CM.

Or perhaps it’s time to go to a fresh 532, Dack and Graham upfront - stick Rodwell as a link to midfield, and an organiser, between Mulgrew and Lenihan, for a back three with great passing to push right up and press teams. 

As for result - defending is key, regardless of the “fan denial esq” reactions to the choice of forwards. I’d take a 0-0 right now!

Reed on the wing with Bennett?! Smallwood and Evans in the middle!? Haha Next joke please! 

Edited by BankEnd Rover

21 hours ago, Stuart said:

And yet, there are posts by you which say otherwise...

5900EA10-4C56-4EBC-88D1-5747A3505527.jpeg

BCDEE3E5-0E5D-4158-A186-83320FF91C5E.jpeg

7995BD24-418F-4684-98DE-D34BE6BD259F.jpeg

B981C811-B724-4367-86AD-66E9427F72A2.jpeg

not really but we wanted the best for my club I supported passionate for many years. 

I was pleased Danny Graham came here and that Coyle got players in so quickly which was needed at that time. Hardly a denial is it. 

no support for coyle but for Rovers. I never a fan of Kidd or Allardyce but still always got behind the team

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be honest some of those quotes are questionable evidence that he supported Coyle. The signings did look positive at the time and I don't see how saying we should spend money is supporting Coyle. 

Must be just your fan club liking it :D 

Do you have a little notebook beside your desk where you note what Chaddy says? You must have a lot of free time 

Petty stuff.

I think he must have a little book and his gang must have my posts saved in a file on their PC. 

• Like 1

Just now, BankEnd Rover said:

Reed on the right with bennet?! Smallwood and Evans in the middle!? Haha Next joke please! 

Do you know what Or means? And I don’t mean Orr....

If we played 2 up top with Dack in behind - you either lose 1 midfielder or defender (you can’t play 12..!)

Thus a 3 in midfield, a narrower setup with Reed and Bennett as the wider centre midfielders and a choice of Evans or Smallwood as the central more “sitting” option.. 

The joke is that it needed explaining.

4 minutes ago, Biz said:

Do you know what Or means? And I don’t mean Orr....

If we played 2 up top with Dack in behind - you either lose 1 midfielder or defender (you can’t play 12..!)

Thus a 3 in midfield, a narrower setup with Reed and Bennett as the wider centre midfielders and a choice of Evans or Smallwood as the central more “sitting” option.. 

The joke is that it needed explaining.

Ahhh didn't see the or! However I think people forget that reed is a defensive midfielder. We need some fire in this team. Get rid of Smallwood & Evans. Reed in the middle, Rothwell on the wing with Palmer on the other side. Dack infront with DG & BB. Similar line up for Bolton first half, But with an extra striker.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Biz said:

Why do you think Preston constantly played cut backs against us on saturday? Is it because Alex Neil said “go for it” and only did attacking drills for a week!? They looked at our past games and found ways to test us, we crumbled. Equally they sat Dack out the game for large spells and isolated the FBs. It’s not an accident.

I expect and want a pragmatic thoughtful approach personally. Taking that into account, Wigan have a big solid team that are going to trouble us at set pieces. Equally, DG ain’t troubling those two huge centre backs the same way Armstrong running in behind will.

I expect a mixture of the 4231 with changes, perhaps AA up top, Dack, Palmer, Bennett in behind. See Hull away early season for a blueprint.

If I was looking at changing style in future, a subtle move to a 4312 might work with Brererton and AA in front of Dack, Reed and Bennett as wider CMs, Smallwood or Evans as the sitting CM.

Or perhaps it’s time to go to a fresh 532, Dack and Graham upfront - stick Rodwell as a link to midfield, and an organiser, between Mulgrew and Lenihan, for a back three with great passing to push right up and press teams. 

As for result - defending is key, regardless of the “fan denial esq” reactions to the choice of forwards. I’d take a 0-0 right now!

Bennett won't be playing.

• Moderation Lead
17 minutes ago, Alun Richards said:

Coming up from wales for this game Wednesday what’s the away supporters pub and will many be going there as it’s a midweek game. Thanks

The Red Robin, really close to the ground was the away pub last time I went....

Wouldn't mind seeing us mix up our formation a bit and play more to our strengths (why persist with wingers when we have none?). We keep persisting with playing people out of position which is frustrating.

Raya

Nyambe - Lenihan - Mulgrew - Williams - Bell

Reed - Rodwell - Rothwell

Dack - Graham

5-3-2 / 3-5-2 with wing backs. Could switch Williams for Rodwell at the back and slot Evans/Smallwood/Bennett in centre midfield. 

Our best performance in recent memory was Stoke away (for 80 mins), and we played Dack up top as a 2nd striker to Graham.

Perhaps this is tinkering too much but I think our strength in creativity lies with Rothwell and Dack and they need to play centrally, likewise Reed is box to box and has to play centrally as our engine.

What I don't want to see:

- Dack upfront on his own

- 2 holding midfielders who lack creativity.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, superniko said:

Wouldn't mind seeing us mix up our formation a bit and play more to our strengths (why persist with wingers when we have none?). We keep persisting with playing people out of position which is frustrating.

Raya

Dack - Graham

5-3-2 / 3-5-2 with wing backs. Could switch Williams for Rodwell at the back and slot Evans/Smallwood/Bennett in centre midfield. 

Our best performance in recent memory was Stoke away (for 80 mins), and we played Dack up top as a 2nd striker to Graham.

Perhaps this is tinkering too much but I think our strength in creativity lies with Rothwell and Dack and they need to play centrally, likewise Reed is box to box and has to play centrally as our engine.

What I don't want to see:

- Dack upfront on his own

- 2 holding midfielders who lack creativity.

Bell cannot attack so we would be totally bereft on that side.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, superniko said:

Raya

Dack - Graham

If we were to play that formation this is the team I would like 

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Nyambe                                          Bell

Reed Evans Rothwell

Graham Brereton

20 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

I think we'll line-up like this:

Raya

Nyambe   Lenihan   Mulgrew   Bell

Evans   Smallwood

Conway        Dack         Reed

Graham

Announce defeat this evening. I hope to god it's not that - again wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think Mowbray(not my starting team) will line up

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Rodwell Evans Rothwell

Dack Graham

I'd be quite happy with that if he was to start that 11

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Bell cannot attack so we would be totally bereft on that side.

It's a strange one with Bell. On his debut you couldn't stop him from flying forward and he looked full of confidence, taking players on. But he hasn't really played like that since and seems to be getting worse if anything.

I'm not sure whether he's under any instruction not to be too adventurous but you'd think him and Nyambe on the flanks would be perfect for getting up and down. I'm sure there's a player in there somewhere.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Biz said:

To be fair. After a hammering against a poor Preston side, the last thing I'd want Mowbray to do is think about this game. He'll come up with some brilliant idea that is beyond the players ability.

Keep it a simple 4231. Give Dack and Graham a go together. Play players in their position and see where it takes us.

It's the players performances not the formation that is letting the club down. If Dack doesn't have a good game it's up to the other 9 outfield players to step up.

2 hours ago, Biz said:

Timid Tony doesn't need seem to need much encouragement to err too far on the side of caution so I hope he isn't reading that pile of old guff. If we're going to teams at a similar level to us hoping to park the bus and at best scrape a 0-0 we'll soon start plummeting down the table.

I agree with Mercer on this, after a horror show like Saturday the players need to be let off the leash and given the chance to redeem themselves and show what they can do. It shouldn't be too difficult, make sure they're up for it from the start, play players in their correct positions and get our best attacking players out onto the pitch.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnePhilT said:

I think we'll line-up like this:

Raya

Nyambe   Lenihan   Mulgrew   Bell

Evans   Smallwood

Conway        Dack         Reed

Graham

If it is that I'd expect us to get absolutely battered and I wouldn't have thought there would be much point turning up. 8 defensive players plus Dack with Graham completely isolated. You might as well replace Dack for Travis on the basis that playing the former would be too expansive!

• Like 2

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

If it is that I'd expect us to get absolutely battered and I wouldn't have thought there would be much point turning up. 8 defensive players plus Dack with Graham completely isolated. You might as well replace Dack for Travis on the basis that playing the former would be too expansive!

Spot on! The complete opposite to what the team needs to be!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Timid Tony doesn't need seem to need much encouragement to err too far on the side of caution so I hope he isn't reading that pile of old guff. If we're going to teams at a similar level to us hoping to park the bus and at best scrape a 0-0 we'll soon start plummeting down the table.

I agree with Mercer on this, after a horror show like Saturday the players need to be let off the leash and given the chance to redeem themselves and show what they can do. It shouldn't be too difficult, make sure they're up for it from the start, play players in their correct positions and get our best attacking players out onto the pitch.

Timid tony! Might have well stopped reading at that point really. I’m not sure where I suggested we park the bus either?! Sheffield United employ 3 Centreback pairing and are far from “negative”.

Im not sure you, or those that agree understand that we lost on Saturday because we conceded two early goals due to poor defending. If you think taking the pressure off this side in training and focusing on simply “having a go” is the answer - the only “guff” is between your ears.

Game plan was scrambled conceding so early but he did set up with an attack minded line up imo but it was disjointed a looked designed to counter with the ball on the deck. Can't do much else with no target man when you try and contain the opposition there's no outlet, he got it wrong but Preston to their credit got it right, all this try and flummox the opposition didn't work on the occasion it probably presented them with something easier than they were expecting.

1 minute ago, Biz said:

Timid tony! Might have well stopped reading at that point really. I’m not sure where I suggested we park the bus either?! Sheffield United employ 3 Centreback pairing and are far from “negative”.

Im not sure you, or those that agree understand that we lost on Saturday because we conceded two early goals due to poor defending. If you think taking the pressure off this side in training and focusing on simply “having a go” is the answer - the only “guff” is between your ears.

We might have lost the game because we were out of it after ten minutes on Saturday, hence why I said the players need to be up for it from the start on Wednesday.

However imo the reason we couldn't get back into it on Saturday and the reason we struggled away  at West Brom was because we lined up without a natural striker. Not sure why you can't see that most basic of points.

• Like 3