BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

• Backroom

I imagine Mowbray will go ‘back to basics’ meaning trying to be as safe as possible so something like

Raya

Nyambe lenihan mulgrew Williams 

Bennett Evans Smallwood Conway / Reed

Dack

Graham

I wouldn’t play Conway myself but I think he might, for me we’ve been that bad that we may as well gamble a bit and throw Brereton and Rothwell in

4-1 v Preston 

3-1 v Wigan 

logic dictates a 2-1 loss, the good news is we should draw the next one 1-1!

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I imagine Mowbray will go ‘back to basics’ meaning trying to be as safe as possible so something like

Raya

Nyambe lenihan mulgrew Williams 

Bennett Evans Smallwood Conway / Reed

Dack

Graham

I wouldn’t play Conway myself but I think he might, for me we’ve been that bad that we may as well gamble a bit and throw Brereton and Rothwell in

4-1 v Preston 

3-1 v Wigan 

logic dictates a 2-1 loss, the good news is we should draw the next one 1-1!

Mowbray out if that's the case! If we get anything from the game with that lineup, it will be from a set piece or an own goal in the last minute to salvage a point. Keep it up Mowbray your the MAN! (Scarcastic).

Sheff W ticket allocation been increased from 3300 to 4000.

The have just won their first game in six , so its 18th v 20th in the current form table.

Watched their games against Sheff U and Derby and they looked better than their league position suggested

Heart says a draw ,, but head says the curse of MCFCS continues :)

Edited by perthblue02

• Backroom

As I posted in the Wigan thread:

Significant adjustments required:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Williams

Bennett    Reed    Rothwell    Conway

Graham  Brereton

Bench:

Leutweiler (covers gk), Downing (covers cb), Bell (covers lb, lm at a push), Rodwell (covers creative cm, cb at a push), Evans (covers aggressive cm), Dack (playmaking option), Armstrong (pacey option up front, on wing at a push).

Square pegs for square holes, play it on the ground through the middle or play it down the wings to cross. Flat back 4 to HOLD THE LINE WHEN DEFENDING.

Addition: My plan above is to focus on playing down the wing, aiming to cross to 2 of our tallest players. Two central players who are hard but can both drive forward with the ball if necessary.

Full backs to defend and only go forward on the counter or when the defensive line moves forward.

When one cm drives forward in support, the other hangs in front of the centre circle, to cut out any counters down the middle and give straight back to our wingers.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

Lads, any word on why Lenihan wasn't in the squad yesterday? I suspect there may be a story behind this

Anyway, as I have been saying for weeks, Dack needs to be dropped. He is now a midfield Jordan Rhodes who doesn't score. He isn't George Best, he needs to remember that. 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed  Evans

Bennett  Palmer Rothwell

Brereton 

10 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Hip injury apparently

That was where he injured earlier in the season I think. Not much mention of it before the game. I am a bit suspicious and I ain't a suspicious person 

He has been such a disappointment for me. As an Irish lad and him starting for Rovers in a position that I played myself and had heroes in including the man in my avatar, Hendry, Nelsen and Samba , I am sad to see him struggling. He isn't a patch on the last Irish player to play in that position for Rovers in Duffy(no need to remind me of how that ended, I am just saying he is a far , far more effective player than Lenihan as things stand). I remember Sheffield united bid 4 million for him last summer. I just wonder how he would be getting on if he went there. Our defense has major, major issues.   

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

31 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lads, any word on why Lenihan wasn't in the squad yesterday? I suspect there may be a story behind this

Anyway, as I have been saying for weeks, Dack needs to be dropped. He is now a midfield Jordan Rhodes who doesn't score. He isn't George Best, he needs to remember that. 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed  Evans

Bennett  Palmer Rothwell

Brereton 

His version of not scoring has led to him proving to be our primary goalscorer this season in the absence of anyone else bothering to contribute.

I dont think we can afford to drop him, just as we couldnt afford to drop Rhodes when his form dipped or he had a bit of a dry spell, because no one else is scoring in his absence.

Sheffield Wednesday are rubbish, anything less than a win is a poor result.

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Reed Evans

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Bennett, Conway, Armstrong, Brereton, Downing, Rodwell

Couldnt pick a left back, both terrible, Nyambe plays in spite of his terrible recent performances due to a lack of alternatives, Downing to play even though hes not very good if Lenihan isnt fit as none of the alternatives are centre backs and he is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His version of not scoring has led to him proving to be our primary goalscorer this season in the absence of anyone else bothering to contribute.

I dont think we can afford to drop him, just as we couldnt afford to drop Rhodes when his form dipped or he had a bit of a dry spell, because no one else is scoring in his absence.

Raya

Reed Evans

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham

Couldnt pick a left back, both terrible, Nyambe plays in spite of his terrible recent performances due to a lack of alternatives, Downing to play even though hes not very good if Lenihan isnt fit as none of the alternatives are centre backs and he is.

I clearly meant since his last goal. He has done little to nothing. Even in the games where he scored ,he did little else. No one else is scoring because we play too many defensive players, but ironically our players who are in the defensive positions have been shocking. 

Whilst 3 at the back is a concern for some, I would argue the below team gets our best player son the field in their natural positions. It was a toss up between Rodwell and Rothwell 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew 

Bennett              Evans                            Bell

Rothwell       Reed 

Dack

Graham 

I would love to see us play that on Saturday 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I clearly meant since his last goal. He has done little to nothing. Even in the games where he scored ,he did little else. No one else is scoring because we play too many defensive players, but ironically our players who are in the defensive positions have been shocking. 

Whilst 3 at the back is a concern for some, I would argue the below team gets our best player son the field in their natural positions. It was a toss up between Rodwell and Rothwell 

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew 

Bennett              Evans                            Bell

Rothwell       Reed 

Dack

Graham 

I would love to see us play that on Saturday 

He played some of them games out of position, but he has been poor even yesterday as a 10, he is out of form but im not subscribing to it being a sudden egotistical thing on the back of a Soccer AM appearance or whatever.

Everytime we play 3 at the back it doesnt work. Also, Bennett isnt a wing back and Nyambe isnt a centre back. And Bell isnt a footballer.We only have 3 centre backs and one of them is Downing.

It will just be a scattergun approach, making a few personnel changes, but it is the way we play that needs looking at.

Its hoofball, its aimless, its boring, regardless of who plays, regardless of what formation, and thats the worry.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He played some of them games out of position, but he has been poor even yesterday as a 10, he is out of form but im not subscribing to it being a sudden egotistical thing on the back of a Soccer AM appearance or whatever.

Everytime we play 3 at the back it doesnt work. Also, Bennett isnt a wing back and Nyambe isnt a centre back. And Bell isnt a footballer.We only have 3 centre backs and one of them is Downing.

It will just be a scattergun approach, making a few personnel changes, but it is the way we play that needs looking at.

Its hoofball, its aimless, its boring, regardless of who plays, regardless of what formation, and thats the worry.

Whether it is egotistical or not, he won't be back on again unless he ups his game 

What is Bennett if he isn't a wing back? I think it would be the best place for him. Although he did well in the middle last year. 

Agree with the last 2 lines 100%.  Not much time to change that though before Saturday! Shackle Dack and Graham and we are looking to who to score? Mister 1 good game in 10 Armstrong? It was Mulgrew last season. 

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

As I posted in the Wigan thread:

Significant adjustments required:

Raya

Nyambe  Lenihan  Mulgrew  Williams

Bennett    Reed    Rothwell    Conway

Graham  Brereton

Bench:

Leutweiler (covers gk), Downing (covers cb), Bell (covers lb, lm at a push), Rodwell (covers creative cm, cb at a push), Evans (covers aggressive cm), Dack (playmaking option), Armstrong (pacey option up front, on wing at a push).

Square pegs for square holes, play it on the ground through the middle or play it down the wings to cross. Flat back 4 to HOLD THE LINE WHEN DEFENDING.

Addition: My plan above is to focus on playing down the wing, aiming to cross to 2 of our tallest players. Two central players who are hard but can both drive forward with the ball if necessary.

Full backs to defend and only go forward on the counter or when the defensive line moves forward.

When one cm drives forward in support, the other hangs in front of the centre circle, to cut out any counters down the middle and give straight back to our wingers.

Hope that makes sense.

This could have been a change of formation rather than the 3 5 2 which has never worked. By leaving graham on, putting brereton on upfront and using conway to get dangerous balls in to 2 of our strikers...simple 4 4 2 can work, think mowbray complicates things sometimes. Playing palmer n dack as a lone striker? Will never understand that!!

• Moderation Lead
4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Rodwell

Palmer        Rothwell    Conway

Brereton

Subs:- Luetwiler Williams Evans Armstrong Graham Nyambe Dack

So, you don't think we should send Palmer back to Chelsea now? :rover:

• Like 4

Raya

Nyambe          Lenihan             Mulgrew         Travis

Evans                   Reed

Palmer                            Dack                      Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Williams,  Rodwell, Bennett, Smallwood, Conway, Brereton

I don't think you pick Williams or Bell given recent performances and I have no doubt that Travis will prove more than able there. That front four are our most dangerous and exciting attackers who I thought looked very good when they started together for the only time at Bolton. Palmer, Dack and Rothwell are all good footballers so we may actually create some chances by playing some football rather than just launching it into Graham.

Edited by Ewood Ace

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My team

Raya

Bennett Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Rodwell

Palmer        Rothwell    Conway

Brereton

Subs:- Luetwiler Williams Evans Armstrong Graham Nyambe Dack

The Sheffield Wednesday wingers will be licking their lips if those two line up as full backs, neither can defend.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

The Sheffield Wednesday wingers will be licking their lips if those two line up as full backs, neither can defend.

Think they will be licking their lips if our young centre mid who sometimes plays right back, but barely plays at all lately, lines up at left back too.

I'm not sure where all this appealing for Travis at LB came from, other than Bell and Williams both playing poorly lately, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for it happening against Sheff W. One of Bell or Williams will be playing. I'd go with Bell. If you look at those last 7 goals shipped, Williams has been gash for an alarming amount of them.

Especially after saying 'back to basics', Mowbray isn't about to play a LB who has never played there.

Edited by bluebruce

18 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

So, you don't think we should send Palmer back to Chelsea now? :rover:

final chance. 

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Sheffield don't play with wingers tho. They played 3-4-3 or 3-5-1-1. 

Just now, Gordon Gekko said:

People would really take a point at home to Wednesday? We really need to be winning this looking at December’s fixtures.

Fucking hell. I've only just looked at December's fixtures and I wish I hadn't. Need to beat Wednesday or we could be looking at a relegation fight by January. Playing 4 of the top 5, mostly away...the easiest game after Sheff Weds is Brum at home, and they're three spots above us!

We really have cocked up by only taking 1 point from these last 3 games which were all winnable.

• Like 2

Just now, bluebruce said:

Think they will be licking their lips if our young centre mid who sometimes plays right back, but barely plays at all lately, lines up at left back too.

I'm not sure where all this appealing for Travis at LB came from, other than Bell and Williams both playing poorly lately, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for it happening against Sheff W. One of Bell or Williams will be playing. I'd go with Bell. If you look at those last 7 goals shipped, Williams has been gash for an alarming amount of them.

Especially after saying 'back to basics', Mowbray isn't about to play a LB who has never played there.

Both Bell and Williams have been useless of late although in Bell's case though he has been since he arrived and he too has been at fault for plenty of goals this season, including last night. Travis is a tremendously talented young player who can play anywhere and look comfortable (just look at West Brom when he came on at centre back). He's a good tackler has good positional sense and is very comfortable on the ball. 

As for Mowbray saying back to basics that's exactly what last night team was the usual back 4, the usual central midfield, two wide men who aren't wide men as usual and Dack and Graham as usual and you know what they certainly did look basic.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya

Reed Evans

Palmer Dack Rothwell

Graham

Dack needs dropping. his form is awful and people have worked us out and we need to change it up. His performances in the last 2 games have been pathetic. any other player you would drop him?

I would drop him and play Rothwell there

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Sheffield don't play with wingers tho. They played 3-4-3 or 3-5-1-1. 

Well if they are playing with 5 across the midfield I would imagine there is some width otherwise the centre of midfield would be rather crowded.  

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Both Bell and Williams have been useless of late although in Bell's case though he has been since he arrived and he too has been at fault for plenty of goals this season, including last night. Travis is a tremendously talented young player who can play anywhere and look comfortable (just look at West Brom when he came on at centre back). He's a good tackler has good positional sense and is very comfortable on the ball. 

As for Mowbray saying back to basics that's exactly what last night team was the usual back 4, the usual central midfield, two wide men who aren't wide men as usual and Dack and Graham as usual and you know what they certainly did look basic.

Will Travis have good positional sense in a position he has never played? On a side that's his wrong foot?

It doesn't matter whether you're right that he should be played there this game (I don't think you are for what it's worth), Mowbray isn't going to do it. This game is crucial now, he just said back to basics, he doesn't seem to rate Travis as highly as most of us do...I'd bet a significant amount of money that he won't line up at left back for this match.