BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Palmer has scored for us though, to be fair. He is wasteful in possession at times, but I do think he gets way too much of a hard time on here.

I was just questioning why someone would drop Dack for Palmer. It's like when people wanted Lenihan dropped for Rodwell before the Wigan game. Insania. 

• Moderation Lead
Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I was just questioning why someone would drop Dack for Palmer. It's like when people wanted Lenihan dropped for Rodwell before the Wigan game. Insania. 

If Dack were to be dropped, I suppose Palmer would be the obvious replacement, but I don’t think Dack has done anything warranting dropping just yet...

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

If Dack were to be dropped, I suppose Palmer would be the obvious replacement, but I don’t think Dack has done anything warranting dropping just yet...

Neither do I. He's a victim of his own success. Nobody else contributes anything apart from the odd goal from Graham, which is a reflection of the paucity of Rovers attacking threat. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Palmer has scored for us though, to be fair. He is wasteful in possession at times, but I do think he gets way too much of a hard time on here.

Palmer works well when the game is quick! Can be very dangerous like Bolton & West Brom. Same with Dack. Both getting stick for no reason. If they both have the support they will both play well! 

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I appreciate that, but my point is that goals are the most important part in any attacking players game, and the goals alone justify his place, and show that he is having a big impact.

If he has an average overall game but gets a goal, hes had a good game.

Goals are not the icing on a performance cake, they are critical and the main source of judgement.

Indeed. Like I said, I wouldn't be freezing him out, but he isn't performing as well as he can. I don't think any player should be undroppable. He is carrying a big weight though as you say, he is shouldering the responsibility for most of our goals this season. 

I would have expected Palmer, Rothwell and Brereton to have contributed a few by now. Even allowing for their lack of game time 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Rothwell there. 

No, Palmer hasn't been great, but he has rarely played in his preferred position 

I have sympathy for Rothwell and Palmer. They both look like they are best suited to the No.10 role in the same way Payne was last season. Payne couldn't play wide either so I have no idea why Mowbray persists with the nonsense of playing players out of position on the wing. It hasn't worked at all this season. 

• Like 5

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

I have sympathy for Rothwell and Palmer. They both look like they are best suited to the No.10 role in the same way Payne was last season. Payne couldn't play wide either so I have no idea why Mowbray persists with the nonsense of playing players out of position on the wing. It hasn't worked at all this season. 

Didn't work particularly well last season either but the opposition was so turgid it usually didn't matter. 

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Baker and Penney play has the wing backs. Reach and Mathis play more as inside wide players. 

We tried it and teams marked Dack out of the game. 

Any suggestions? 

Sheff Wed will sit deep and probably man mark Dack. 

So how would you try to get Dack more involve? 

You could go with the following

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe Reed Rodwell Bell

Dack Palmer

Graham

A 3421 formation so that teams have to mark 2 players in the Dack position which could create some space for either of Dack of Palmer.

If you wouldn't go with the back 3 then play a 4321. This is all if Dack has to play.

Travis, Rothwell and Brereton have to start as we need some lads in there with commitment, energy and something to prove.

Travis deserves a shot.  Rothwell has a spark about him and we need to know just what Brereton can or can't do.

Additionally, Reed must start in the centre of midfield.

Mowbray must stop worrying about the opposition, keep his system / tactics simple and play lads in their feckin position - no more square pegs in round holes. 

The Owls are no great shakes and it's a winnable game.  Lose this one and God knows where we will be heading.

Travis, Rothwell and Brereton have to start as we need some lads in there with commitment, energy and something to prove.

Travis deserves a shot.  Rothwell has a spark about him and we need to know just what Brereton can or can't do.

Additionally, Reed must start in the centre of midfield.

Mowbray must stop worrying about the opposition, keep his system / tactics simple and play lads in their feckin position - no more square pegs in round holes. 

The Owls are no great shakes and it's a winnable game.  Lose this one and God knows where we will be heading.

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We need to develop some sort of plan in terms of sustaining attacks, not just for the benefit of Dack, but also the likes of Palmer, Rothwell and Armstrong etc.

You don't like the long ball stat and theres also the stat of us scoring 5 in 9 home games from open play, and weve not scored in 12 of our first halfs this season. These stats are all damning of what I forsee to be an absence of a consistent, effective, tactical strategy in terms of mounting attacks. 

Graham has done brilliantly this season just making anything from a constant stream of long balls, often aimless punts, and Mowbray can stand on the touchline getting frustrated but hes responsible for setting us up and the players are carrying out his game plan. If yesterday was a one off then youd say fair enough but it isnt.

Under Mowbray, weve been at our best when weve played at a high tempo, the stat about us starting games suggest hes being overcautious as to the step up in quality, but its coming at a cost of us by making our attack toothless. We dont look like a team that ever works on how it sustains and creates attacks in training.

We also often bypass the midfield obviously, I don't think his over-reliance and loyalty towards the likes of Bennett, Evans and in particular Smallwood does anything for us in terms of helping us to work through the lines. We never get Dack on the ball in between the lines. 

I do still think that our transfer recruitment was really poor in the summer, we are really short in terms of centre backs, we have no cover at right back, no quality at all at left back, we are a striker light and have no width, and a series of his signings all that dont seem fit for purpose in their respective areas that Mowbray hasnt got anything out of really so far. So we are working in spite of a very inefficient summer spending a considerable amount of money.

so no plan from you? 

I would drop Dack and play Rothwell there with Palmer and Conway wide with Reed and Rodwell in centre midfield with Bennett and Bell in full backs area and Lenihan and Mulgrew at centre back.

we have to agree and disagree on Graham performances this season and our transfer recruitment(apart from a winger).

I do agree about our tempo has been higher and the intensity need to be up a few notches.  

1 hour ago, Tom Stinny said:

You could go with the following

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Nyambe Reed Rodwell Bell

Dack Palmer

Graham

A 3421 formation so that teams have to mark 2 players in the Dack position which could create some space for either of Dack of Palmer.

If you wouldn't go with the back 3 then play a 4321. This is all if Dack has to play.

I would drop Dack. 

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A back 3 never works for us, not least because we have 2 competent centre backs and our only competent full back is never a wing back in a million years.

have we ever play a back of 3 Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew? IMO that's a good back 3. 

I think Mowbray will line up like this

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Bennett    Reed      Evans   Bell

Palmer          Rothwell

Brereton

58 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

so no plan from you? 

I would drop Dack and play Rothwell there with Palmer and Conway wide with Reed and Rodwell in centre midfield with Bennett and Bell in full backs area and Lenihan and Mulgrew at centre back.

we have to agree and disagree on Graham performances this season and our transfer recruitment(apart from a winger).

I do agree about our tempo has been higher and the intensity need to be up a few notches.  

I would drop Dack. 

have we ever play a back of 3 Lenihan, Rodwell and Mulgrew? IMO that's a good back 3. 

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Palmer          Rothwell

Brereton

I pointed out everything that I think is wrong, and everything that needs addressing, playing the ball through the lines, pressing high, braver team selections, less loyalty to those not good enough, signing players for the actual position they play in. (unlike most of the summer signings)

Mowbray has never named a side anything like that so Ive got no idea why you think he will on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

so no plan from you? 

I would drop Dack. 

Raya

Lenihan Rodwell Mulgrew

Palmer          Rothwell

Brereton

You think he'll drop Dack?

Raya

nyambe. Lenihan Mulgrew bennet

Reed.     Rodwell 

rothwell.                     Dack

Graham  Brereton 

feel a lot of our problems are due to lumping it up to graham who has nobody around him. Let dack and rothwell run with it into the wings and throw in crosses for our two big strikers. A novel approach granted but it might just work. Bennet at lb until January when it gets sorted with a purchase. It’s not ideal but can’t trust Williams or bell currently 

I'm going to predict something. Whatever team Mowbray puts out on Saturday will get slammed on here by quite a few before kick off. Literally regardless of what he puts out (who, where, formation). Simply because there are now a hell of a lot of different lineups and formations being suggested. Nobody agrees on the best 11 or the best approach. Logically, it follows that most people will think whatever team we line up will be the wrong one in at least one spot.

• Like 2