BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

Fair play to the manager today. Got it right with his team. Conway showed why a simple winger or two effects the rest of the team in a positive way. 

Hopefully come January we can get a right winger and tall centre back in to balance the team

Good result and hopefully can kick on again now with a few good results. Well done.

• Like 3

On 29/11/2018 at 19:19, Ossydave said:

I may seem slightly bonkers but I can see us banging a few in on Saturday, 4-1 Rovers. Sometimes you need knocking down (twice in our case) to come back stronger. It's impossible to imagine the team spirit has been completely ripped out in such a short space of time. 

One off, the banging in bit was bang on though ?

• Like 1

Before the game I couldn't see us scoring with that side.  Great to see the high press back.  Hands up -did not see that performance coming.  Team spirit back in droves.

That said, it doesn't reflect well on the new signings who, apart from the Ginger Ninja, were all bombed out the side.

Anyone else wonder if Rodwell is a negative influence given his previous?

great game today.

THAT IS WHY YOU KEEP GRAHAM ON THE PITCH.

Played much more like 4-4-2 with Dack playing up top with Graham. This also made the subs much more straight forward. Like for like swaps (albeit for 8 minutes) players playing in their proper positions.

Conway rightly taking plaudits today as he was excellent throughout. A winger on the wing ! Well Done to him and deserves to start the next game.

Reed was all over the place. We need to sign that lad permanently at all costs. Energy from the first minute to the last. 

Great to see Travis getting on and he needs to be coming on from the bench regularly now.

Downing played well as did Nyambe.

Please lets hope Tony learned some lessons today and keeps this going now rather than making 5 changes for the next game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

Great to see Conway have such an impact, but also worrying how in one game he arguably looked better than Armstrong or Palmer have the entire season.

Clue : winger playing out wide, non wingers playing out wide

Wouldnt fancy flying on a plane that had a wing on one side and the refreshment trolley on the other as a make do.

• Backroom

Superb win, twice they scored and I thought here we go again but we went back at them 

Their second goal was really odd - their fans didn’t seem to celebrate it then were really flat 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, perthblue02 said:

Clue : winger playing out wide, non wingers playing out wide

Wouldnt fancy flying on a plane that had a wing on one side and the refreshment trolley on the other as a make do.

Question is will Tony learn from it, or will we keep blowing money on strikers to play out wide?

• Moderation Lead

Excellent performance today. 

There really isn’t a lot I can fault with it apart from the two goals we conceded, which undoubtedly flattered them. 

Conway or Downing (who but for one horror pass in his own box had an otherwise unblemished display today) for the man of the match for me. 

Graham was absolutely sensational in front of goal today and set up the only goal he didn’t score.

A very pleasing victory all in all.

The story of most games where we have played well this season Dack and Graham were fantastic and got us the three points but today only highlights even more our huge over reliance on them. If Graham's fit he must start every game until we find someone capable of filling in for him.

The game was a lot closer going into the last 5 than it should have been again stupid lapses in concentration leading to a soft goal could have come back to bite us. We concede a hell of a lot goals considering how we line up, with 2 holding midfielders (I wish we'd get Reed in there he is wasted out wide).

Downing did well today (he rarely let's us down) but I don't think he is the answer long term as a starter anyway, we really do need another centre back to start alongside Mulgrew. Conway did decently today showing the value of a natural wide man (let's hope one is added in January) although he did lack an end product at times when in some good positions. Another plus was Williams responding from two awful games with a solid display.

After getting back home I’ve just had an enjoyable 10 minutes reading the posts before kick-off. As I understand it the collective wisdom from braces experts was that:-

Williams should be nowhere near the team, at least at full back.

Downing isn’t good enough for the Championship

Smallwod isn’t good enough for the Championship

Conway’s legs have gone

Reed can’t play out wide and needs to be in the middle

Dack is out of form and needs resting

Grham can’t last more than 60 minutes

Have I got that right?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, only2garners said:

After getting back home I’ve just had an enjoyable 10 minutes reading the posts before kick-off. As I understand it the collective wisdom from braces experts was that:-

Williams should be nowhere near the team, at least at full back.

Downing isn’t good enough for the Championship

Smallwod isn’t good enough for the Championship

Conway’s legs have gone

Reed can’t play out wide and needs to be in the middle

Dack is out of form and needs resting

Grham can’t last more than 60 minutes

Have I got that right?

By all accounts Wednesday are one of the worst sides in the league so the views above could pretty much still be relevant.

In the meantime enjoy the win, gloating does you no favours.

• Like 3

Humble pie time for me. I just looked at the team and really thought the malaise would continue as Downing, Conway, Smallwood and Evans wouldn't have been near my starting eleven but each of them put in a performance. The intensity we have lacked for several weeks was evident from the first minute and never really abated. Perhaps the criticism the players received recently has hurt them but no matter what we were doing what we do best namely working hard, closing down and playing with intensity. Most of our better performances I think have been against teams who try and play out from the back. We press high and keep them under pressure. The more physical teams who play more direct seem to cause us more problems.

Dack was back to his best today with Reed looking hungry too. Graham played the number nine perfectly today. He was always involved and worked their defenders. His hat trick was the icing on the cake. Winning today was the most important thing but the manner of that was pleasing as we played to our strengths. With some really tough games in the next four weeks this should stand us in good stead.

• Like 8

What a refreshing change that was. We actually went for it from the first whistle and had them on the back foot from the off. We also got people in the box, including Evans on numerous occasions where he normally doesn't move from the centre circle. We played like the home team. Think on Tony... 

I thought he'd be dreadful but Downing was very good. The game suited him, a lot of aerial duels which he does well. Still tried to give them a goal with a dreadful pass, but his run and pass for our 2nd goal was Beckenbauer-esque. 

Conway was excellent too. Showed the kind of intelligence and nous that AA and Palmer lack. Delighted for the 'bull'. Mogga said he's pretty much a cert to keep his place at the Riverside and so he should. A proper winger playing on the wing. Who'd have thunk it... 

Dack and Graham were brilliant. 

Well done the team and well done Mogga. First win by more than a goal all season in the league. 

SWFC had some talented plyers but were a long way from a team. 

1 minute ago, LDRover said:

By all accounts Wednesday are one of the worst sides in the league so the views above could pretty much still be relevant.

In the meantime enjoy the win, gloating does you no favours.

It's way too easy to downplay an excellent Rovers performance. We were excellent today. Back to that Rovers we all love.

We started with real intensity today.. that should be the minimum expectation every game..

Graham and Dack were both very impressive, both on the front foot throughout 

Conway has really surprised me if I'm honest today.. he was awesome 

Reed is an absolute BEAST... epitomized by the fact he chased his own header and ran past two of his own palyers.. Seriously the guy is immense and set so much of the early pace.. 

I think Smallwood also played really well.. again surprised me.

Downing was very good, he has generally done well for us as previously stated.

Few questions I have in my mind:

1 - Where we that good or where they really bad? 

2 - Should Bennett be dropped?

It';s hard for wingers as they get older. They don't have the zip or spring in their legs to get past defenders, and they get caught in possession more often. Every so often, though, they roll back the years and turn on the old magic and play like they used to - I've seen it many times over the decades, including Duggie and Waggie.  Conway is unlikely to be able to replicate today's performance for some time, if ever at all. It was a great reminder of how he used to play though and old fashioned wing play - great to watch. 

Just now, Darwen Rover 007 said:

We started with real intensity today.. that should be the minimum expectation every game..

Intensity and desire - where was it at Wigan and Preston ? How do the players explain it ? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Graham and Dack were both very impressive, both on the front foot throughout 

Conway has really surprised me if I'm honest today.. he was awesome 

Reed is an absolute BEAST... epitomized by the fact he chased his own header and ran past two of his own palyers.. Seriously the guy is immense and set so much of the early pace.. 

I think Smallwood also played really well.. again surprised me.

Downing was very good, he has generally done well for us as previously stated.

Few questions I have in my mind:

1 - Where we that good or where they really bad? 

2 - Should Bennett be dropped?

1) Both.

2) Yes.

• Like 1