BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Interesting that of all our subs, Travis got on first. Good luck to anyone predicting a Mowbray move 

He wasn't going to change it when we were winning. Evans just looked a bit like he was nursing a niggle by the end of the game. Travis maimed one of their players within minutes so it's all good!

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, he is, but he's a defender. No messing, no airs and graces, just a defender. Lenihan tries to be Mulgrew sometimes and I think that impedes him. Downing knows his role and his limitations. For now I would leave him there 

As Mowbray said after the game, Lenny is strong and mobile so Downing won't get much of a look-in. Lenihan is a very good defender who sometimes makes rash decisions, which will improve with age. There is no comparison ability-wise between Downing and Lenny.

Just now, AAK said:

Agree for now pal. Lenihan I still think would be a better defensive midfielder personally pal.

I mean while Lenihan is out. I like lenihan and I thought he was going to have a real breakthrough season this year. Possibly even earn a move to the premier league in the summer(if we don't make it) . He has been up and down though. Same with Ireland, but Ireland were pathetic under O'Neill so I wouldn't hold that against him. In fact I think going away with the Ireland squad would have led to a drop in standards from the training at Rovers. He will do better under Big Mick. Anyway, I digress :)

3 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

He wasn't going to change it when we were winning. Evans just looked a bit like he was nursing a niggle by the end of the game. Travis maimed one of their players within minutes so it's all good!

For a pretty boy, he's well able to get stuck in. I like that 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, blueboy3333 said:

As Mowbray said after the game, Lenny is strong and mobile so Downing won't get much of a look-in. Lenihan is a very good defender who sometimes makes rash decisions, which will improve with age. There is no comparison ability-wise between Downing and Lenny.

No, I agree. Lenihan could be a great player. He has the ability and physical attributes. Rash alright at times though. 

What an enjoyable game once I found a stream. I thought the front six all played very well. Every goal came from great movement, running and passing - can’t recall seeing us score four and all be tap-ins at the end of excellent moves.

Conway ran the show I thought, plus gave much better support to the dodgy Williams than any of the pretenders yo the LM spot. For all the “wingers on the wing, whodathunkit!” comments, I don’t recall many, if any, demands for Conway to be picked in past weeks...

The defence, despite Downing’s good showing, still doesn’t inspire. Nyambe and Williams hoof it far too much and Charlie seems a bit above mucking in and stopping a few with his bollocks - I thought the worldie first SW goal benefited from being given the room to give it a wallop.

Lastly, there’s obviously been some good man management from Mowbray to get that performance today.

9th and above two of the teams relegated last year. Crisis - what crisis?

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

For all the “wingers on the wing, whodathunkit!” comments, I don’t recall many, if any, demands for Conway to be picked in past weeks...

That's because he hasn't had a good game there in nearly two years. Doesn't mean the general concensus that we should play actual wingers on the wing rather than strikers is in any way the wrong thing to ask for. It's great that Conway rolled back the years today against a poor team, but we shouldn't expect him to be producing that type of performance week in week out. Instead we should be bringing in players who can actually play on the wing, rather than shoehorning attacking midfielders and strikers into the role.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

What an enjoyable game once I found a stream. I thought the front six all played very well. Every goal came from great movement, running and passing - can’t recall seeing us score four and all be tap-ins at the end of excellent moves.

Conway ran the show I thought, plus gave much better support to the dodgy Williams than any of the pretenders yo the LM spot. For all the “wingers on the wing, whodathunkit!” comments, I don’t recall many, if any, demands for Conway to be picked in past weeks...

The defence, despite Downing’s good showing, still doesn’t inspire. Nyambe and Williams hoof it far too much and Charlie seems a bit above mucking in and stopping a few with his bollocks - I thought the worldie first SW goal benefited from being given the room to give it a wallop.

Lastly, there’s obviously been some good man management from Mowbray to get that performance today.

9th and above two of the teams relegated last year. Crisis - what crisis?

I do sometimes wonder if Mulgrews raw defensive ability is a problem. He brings so much in other areas. Like he would look well playing for man City 

Very good win and very much deserved. 

We attacked them and up our tempo much better. We were back to our best and much improved performance and the players showed the care and gave a performance by everyone of them full of passion, work rate and commitment plus skill. 

Mowbray got his team selection spot on and his promise we would performance and win he delivered that. 

I thought Conway and Downing were outstanding and Downing pass for the 2nd goal was class and he kept Fletcher quieted all 1st half. Conway was class and my man of the match. his commitment and the play he played it was like the old Conway was back

Dack and Graham were back to their best and proved alot of fans wrong who said they should be dropped including myself. I am happy to be proved wrong btw. Show they cared and performed like we know they can. Very pleased

Very happy night to be Rovers fan and we should be looking to kick on and try to get a top 10 finish/playoffs push

Very surprised by Sheff Wednesday tactics and that they didn't play 3 at the back or even man marked Dack. Could hear some of their fans chanting for their manager to be sack but not sure of the circumstances he is managing or what their expectations are. 

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Good win but Sheffield W bar Bannan was one of the worst sides at Ewood this season. Real test against Boro

It’s over to the players Rotherham PNE and Wigan hasn’t been cancelled out by a Win against a pie Wednesday. I’ve not forgotten the past few weeks, one performance dosent set the record right. They need to follow it up, they’ve been that disappointing recently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mercer said:

Disappointing but unsurprising selection from a manager I find so uninspiring.

If we hadn't bombed so spectacularly this week, would have taken four tickets today.  I'm sure there are hundreds with same thoughts.

Good luck to those attending - hope you at least get a shout.

well well. shame you miss it. Rovers always played well when you aren't they

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely appalling team named. Not looking forward to this game at all with such uninspiring line up. That midfield has absolutely no creativity to it.

Prove me wrong.

well they did today. 

Still think the team selection was appalling? 

We creative alot today

less long balls today? you agree?

Edited by chaddyrovers

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very surprised by Sheff Wednesday tactics and that they didn't play 3 at the back or even man marked Dack. Could hear some of their fans chanting for their manager to be sack but not sure of the circumstances he is managing or what their expectations are.

The OwlsTalk forum makes for interesting reading. Reminds me a lot of how it was here when Coyle was in charge.

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well they did today. 

Still think the team selection was appalling? 

We creative alot today

less long balls today? you agree?

Did you honestly agree with the selection and think we would score four goals?

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

what are they saying? want him out? please tell me they don't want Coyle? any names being mention?

Yeah most of the blame seems to be going towards the manager, his moustache and the staff. Fans angry about team selections, lack of passion being shown on the touchline, etc.

Haven't seen Coyle mentioned but have seen Bruce, Jokanovic, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes all speculated on. Can't see Hughes or Bruce going anywhere near that and I think Jokanovic could do better. Keane is a possibility but not sure if he wants to go back into first team management.

Some interesting pre-match comments, that were, ahem, somewhat wide of the mark. Let’s just say that Conway would have been my MOM. Agree though, that he is not a saviour either.

Ditto the nonsense posted that we “pasted” them or they were “abysmal”. They controlled a lot of the game in the first half after our goal. And they looked dangerous for most of the second half. They also taught us a lesson in midfield triangles (but of course that’s not everything.)

Very enjoyable game. Great open game from both sides. Loved the interplay of some of their players in the second half, particularly the diminutive number 10 who controlled much of the game strangely.  Cracking 2nd goal from them (Joao) and they looked as though they could easily draw level. But in their openness to create they left us room and we kept on scoring at the right time. Our third goal (I think) started with a square crossfield Conway pass that was a little dodgy and left Smallwood (?) with a 50/50. It was one of those that if their player had won it they would have caught us and be in on goal. Ditto the other way round. If it had been me, I would have just remained goal side and played safe. Smallwood, aggressively decided it was going to be his, won it, and on we go to score.

Clear right from kick off that high press and work hard were in the team talk. We were at it from the off –that makes a nice change. My immediate thoughts then were a) will we fade late on and b) can we score in this hot 15 mins? Answer, yes on 11mins to b) and yes a little on a) but we kept on managing to score again just as they looked likely to get back in it. Did enjoy Dack’s clever pull back for Graham’s tap in for the 4th. Earlier in the season, he would have taken that on himself and had the goalie save.

So, good win and a very enjoyable game. It’s probably not a day to bring out some glaring issues (not least his love of 4231 and the personnel) but they haven’t gone away. Does he know his best team and formation? As usual, overreacting works both ways.

Ewood ace

We concede a hell of a lot goals considering how we line up, with 2 holding midfielders

That is something I also find very interesting. Mowbray loves 4231. So effectively a back 6. What I think happens (not necessarily today, which seemed quite an open game), is that those 6 often cautiously sit deep (a reason for our slow starts?) whilst the forward 4 are adrift upfront (the 2 wide players and Dack behind the striker). This means that opposing teams have effectively got easy control to my mind of the midfield and thus play.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Did you honestly agree with the selection and think we would score four goals?

I did make a comment before the game. My comment was very sueprising selection. Expected Rothwell and Bennett

16 minutes ago, DE. said:

Yeah most of the blame seems to be going towards the manager, his moustache and the staff. Fans angry about team selections, lack of passion being shown on the touchline, etc.

Haven't seen Coyle mentioned but have seen Bruce, Jokanovic, Roy Keane and Mark Hughes all speculated on. Can't see Hughes or Bruce going anywhere near that and I think Jokanovic could do better. Keane is a possibility but not sure if he wants to go back into first team management.

Cant see any of them being interested. But the cutbacks that are happening there. Owner seems to not investing anymore or cant.

Not sure they get better. 

Where is The keeper Westwood? 

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

What a refreshing change that was. We actually went for it from the first whistle and had them on the back foot from the off. We also got people in the box, including Evans on numerous occasions where he normally doesn't move from the centre circle. We played like the home team. Think on Tony... 

I thought he'd be dreadful but Downing was very good. The game suited him, a lot of aerial duels which he does well. Still tried to give them a goal with a dreadful pass, but his run and pass for our 2nd goal was Beckenbauer-esque. 

Conway was excellent too. Showed the kind of intelligence and nous that AA and Palmer lack. Delighted for the 'bull'. Mogga said he's pretty much a cert to keep his place at the Riverside and so he should. A proper winger playing on the wing. Who'd have thunk it... 

Dack and Graham were brilliant. 

Well done the team and well done Mogga. First win by more than a goal all season in the league. 

SWFC had some talented plyers but were a long way from a team. 

Missed his post match radio interview; anyone able to share a link or tell me where to find it? Thanks.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, AAK said:

Good performance, Conway I was surprised with, lasting the 90 and was man of the match contender. He's never lost that ability to cross a ball, probably the only player at the club who can, made a claim for a permanent spot today. Downing good distribution from the back. However still conceding 2 was a downer, bit harsh I know, but to be conceding another 2 after a 4 and a 3 is worrying, really need someone to shore that defence up as we won't be able to score 3 or 4 to win games all that much. All in all though very good performance.

Conway may have finally learned not to try to beat the full back with his legs, but his head. The key to older players lasting 90mins (fitness dependent) is rationing their running time.

Hence why Tugay seemed to just get better and better because he could put a guy on his arse without moving.

If that’s the case, Conway could be useful back up for as much as another season after this! However, one swallow doesn’t make a summer etc

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Conway may have finally learned not to try to beat the full back with his legs, but his head. The key to older players lasting 90mins (fitness dependent) is rationing their running time.

Hence why Tugay seemed to just get better and better because he could put a guy on his arse without moving.

And...

FC9F4F39-4930-4028-A266-3CBEFAD434AC.jpeg