BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

ROVERS v Sheff Wed

4 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I don’t want to rain on your ‘Mowbray knows nothing’ parade, but just a couple of points that I think need making:

1) Conway’s last appearance was against Derby (I think) where he was, rightly, taken off halfway through the first half. I don’t recall many on here (including you) demanding his reinstatement to the team following that game 

2) Whilst it’s true that Armstrong isn’t a natural winger and he has struggled at times, he was also arguably our best player in the games against Leeds and Rotherham playing from that left wing and, again, I don’t recall many on here demanding he be dropped or moved from that position following those games. 

But there as been constant concern about the lack of natural wide players and making do with players in those positions, who either can not play there consistently or are not ready to play there.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Would like Freeman but QPR owner has said this week they will be ins or outs at the club in January. 

Freeman just signed a deal not that it essentially rules anything out. From what I've read (and what you perhaps meant to say) they have stated NO ins OR outs in January. Though someone would have to leave if they wish to bring in any free transfers. Have to say it's good to see a club crippled by the evil UEFA doing OK (at the moment) though can't exactly see them making the playoffs. The key thing is avoid relegation trouble then get back to normal. Or as normal as you can get with corrupt oppressive administrators.

Edited by Vinjay17

3 minutes ago, Vinjay17 said:

Freeman just signed a deal not that it essentially rules anything out. From what I've read (and what you perhaps meant to say) they have stated NO ins OR outs in January. Though someone would have to leave if they wish to bring in any free transfers. Have to say it's good to see a club crippled by the evil UEFA doing OK (at the moment) 

Signing a new contract most certainly rules nothing out! 

Wouldn't wind the following for the next match.

Raya

Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Williams

Reed Smallwood

Conway Dack Armstrong

Graham

Just to add a little pace on one side of the midfield. Evans hasn't done much wrong but I feel Reed is our best centre midfielder so needs to play.

Can't drop Downing after a good performance and there's no one else to play at left back who deserves a go.

Subs: Leutwiler, Lenihan, Bell, Bennet, Rodwell, Rothwell and Brereton

Can't make a case for Palmer at the moment and I'd rather give match time even if it's from the bench to players belonging to us.

4 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Reed Smallwood

Conway Dack Armstrong

Graham

Just to add a little pace on one side of the midfield. Evans hasn't done much wrong but I feel Reed is our best centre midfielder so needs to play.

Can't drop Downing after a good performance and there's no one else to play at left back who deserves a go.

Can't make a case for Palmer at the moment and I'd rather give match time even if it's from the bench to players belonging to us.

I can't help but think Atkins would have gotten the same treatment as Evans and Smallwood do now in 94/95.  Discuss :)

• Like 1

Brilliant analysis by a Wednesday fan on their defensive failings at Ewood - can Mowbray sign him up to help our defensive woes ?

Makes you realise how bad Wednesday were yesterday., yet we still managed to concede 2 goals

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/278560-we-have-a-serious-defensive-issue-sorry-its-a-long-one/?page=1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I can't help but think Atkins would have gotten the same treatment as Evans and Smallwood do now in 94/95.  Discuss :)

Great point and a good comparison with the mentioned players..Atko and Tim sherwood worked realy well togethere with Atko not always getting the credit he deserved .

He had a great engine and never gave less than 100%

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, den9112 said:

Great point and a good comparison with the mentioned players..Atko and Tim sherwood worked realy well togethere with Atko not always getting the credit he deserved .

The internet and 24/7 sports channels have changed everything. Impatience is now the norm. Look at the dingles 

When Evans and Smallwood are at their best they are an excellent shield for the defence. They do the work that allows the Dacks to do the business. When we lose, the discussion is about Smallwood and Evans not being attacking enough. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Brilliant analysis by a Wednesday fan on their defensive failings at Ewood - can Mowbray sign him up to help our defensive woes ?

Makes you realise how bad Wednesday were yesterday., yet we still managed to concede 2 goals

https://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/topic/278560-we-have-a-serious-defensive-issue-sorry-its-a-long-one/?page=1

Bloody hell, a forum where downvotes don't cause chaos. That's the real story here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J*B said:

Bloody hell, a forum where downvotes don't cause chaos. That's the real story here.

That and their inexplicable failure to use every post to have a go at the opinions of one poster. 

Good analysis by the opening poster making a strong case that it was their ineptitude more than our brilliance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Reed Smallwood

Conway Dack Armstrong

Graham

I'd be very reluctant to change anything after yesterday.

29 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The internet and 24/7 sports channels have changed everything. Impatience is now the norm. Look at the dingles 

When Evans and Smallwood are at their best they are an excellent shield for the defence. They do the work that allows the Dacks to do the business. When we lose, the discussion is about Smallwood and Evans not being attacking enough. 

You seem insistent on suddenly peddling this theory, but I am not sure its 100% accurate. For example, before my time a bit Jason Wilcox was apparently a "scapegoat."

People havent been unreasonable in suggesting that the Evans and Smallwood partnership is more often than not one that screams of a little too much loyalty towards especially Smallwood after last season. They played together v QPR and typified a very common performance of theirs in terms of their conservative limitations on the ball were contributing factors in an inability to get the ball forward through the lines. Against Wigan, they were hapless too.

They are (especially Evans) very useful players to have in the squad, but people are justified in feeling that Mowbray is at times too loyal to them. There are a few games this season (Leeds I think aswell?) where they have played big parts in positive performances. I just feel people think sometimes we need only one of them (Evans for me) alongside either the energy and tenacity of Reed or the better passing range of Rodwell.

Such viewpoints are not unwarranted or based on the generation we are in.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Reed Smallwood

Conway Dack Armstrong

Graham

Play the same team next week. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

We did a lot right yesterday, but I'm sure Mowbray will always work on the bits that go wrong. Let's give it a go (apologies for the play button in the screenshots - don't bother trying to click it!).

Wednesday Chance A

error-1a.jpg.7cb4491bddc9366afc58b5544508f3c7.jpg

Bannan takes a short free-kick to Reach, seen here between Evans and Smallwood, the latter of which seemed to have the job of marking him, evidenced by Evans pointing at the midfielder to be picked up, and in the next screen shot with Smallwood scrambling to get back.

error-1b.jpg.673e9781787f07783e3c87b424aded93.jpg

Smallwood fails to get back in time, allowing the midfielder to run towards the defence. Mulgrew already loses his man at this point, with Nyambe and Downing playing the same player onside. Williams begins to move across as he sees the danger unfolding.

error-1c.jpg.3fa6895a4d7e08b2c003fbb8aec193df.jpg

While Mulgrew is in no-man's land, Williams makes a vital tackle to prevent Wednesday being through on goal.

Wednesday Chance B

error-2a.jpg.e2a72ff32a1e08ae76127406e9aba5ff.jpg

Wednesday counter-attack, with Conway covering for Williams, who was in an advanced position. After a scrappy affair inside our own half, Bannan plays a ball through to the Wednesday man marked by Conway, who he easily loses with his run.

error-2b.jpg.4f6a5d6cdffcbcda6c2c804d14b35205.jpg

Seeing the danger, Nyambe tracks back as fast as possible and manages to narrow the angle for the Wednesday player. He takes a powerful shot to the near post, and Raya pulls of a good save.

Wednesday Goal 1

error-3a.jpg.867bdc1e0a7714f19b5da2ad86f86cb9.jpg

Evans loses Forestieri as Bannan finds a gap through with a short pass.

error-3b.jpg.b4162ec113af2bcdfb7dde84d4287e4d.jpg

As Forestieri dribbles across the pitch, Williams commits too much with a lunge that misses the ball, leaving Joao with a gap ahead of him.

error-3c.jpg.88eceff4bad8dd0f5ac8136492a69f4e.jpg

Conway has his hands full with the winger on the far side, so he can't leave his position. Mulgrew can't commit because he must stay with one of the strikers nearby. Only Smallwood can try to block the long-range shot, yet he is too far behind the game after trying to deal with Bannan. Joao unleashes a superb strike that no goalkeeper would have stopped.

Wednesday Goal 2

error-4b.jpg.2f440af81d59fa5ca8ba11fd6fe3e25d.jpg

After playing a little one-two with Joao, Bannan loses Smallwood, and now runs towards the box.

error-4c.jpg.3dacb3084966c8fdae9d74c842100955.jpg

Mulgrew puts in a weak foot that Bannan manages to evade.

error-4d.jpg.289dcf162798976492ecb771fa56d1dd.jpg

As Bannan's slow-paced shot rebounds off the post, Raya scrambles back in an attempt to stop Bannan knocking in the rebound. Bannan can't get to the rebound, and Raya's eagerness sees the ball bouncing off his back and into the net. It'd be harsh to fault Raya, but it's possible that Williams might have otherwise cleared the ball away.

Oh, Raya was so close to stopping the second! 

Nice coverage of the goals. Should have its own thread 

2 hours ago, den9112 said:

Scored some good goals as well

3 hours ago, DaveyB said:

I don’t want to rain on your ‘Mowbray knows nothing’ parade, but just a couple of points that I think need making:

1) Conway’s last appearance was against Derby (I think) where he was, rightly, taken off halfway through the first half. I don’t recall many on here (including you) demanding his reinstatement to the team following that game 

2) Whilst it’s true that Armstrong isn’t a natural winger and he has struggled at times, he was also arguably our best player in the games against Leeds and Rotherham playing from that left wing and, again, I don’t recall many on here demanding he be dropped or moved from that position following those games. 

There's no parade Davey lad.

The point is Mowbray's 'wide forward' experiment, that no other manager seems stupid enough to try, just doesn't work. Have you anything to add to that discussion? Please try and counter it without resorting to 'yeah, but, you never said bring Conway back'. 

Cheers Davey lad. 

• Like 1

OnePhilT

Bannon played through our 2 holding players (Evans/Smallwood) all day long to Reach/Jaoa.  Something I would dearly wish we could do. Previous to yesterday, time and time again you would see our  back 6 look up from our own half for that 20 yard ball into the hole but nobody is there. And if Dack or Graham finally manage to get there, they are usually well outnumbered and without an instant lay-off option. Still, yesterday it mattered a bit less since they weren't great defensively and Conway offered so much out wide.

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think he would have got slaughtered on here but what you have to remember is its a team game and its how players play together not what they do individualy, and dont forget super ako has more premiership medals than quite afew better players than him ie: steven gerrard

• Like 1

Just now, OnePhilT said:

Sorry for the length of that post. And @Bigdoggsteel apologises for quoting the whole bloody thing, too.

The constant in Sheffield Wednesday's chances was Bannan; a superb player that I knew nothing about until yesterday.

Not accpeted, my lawyers are compiling their papers as we speak :)

4 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Sorry for the length of that post. And @Bigdoggsteel apologises for quoting the whole bloody thing, too.

The constant in Sheffield Wednesday's chances was Bannan; a superb player that I knew nothing about until yesterday.

We were heavily linked with him our first season back in the Championship. We even lodged a bid but couldn't agree personal terms so the move broke down. 

Always been a fan of the lad. Could do with someone like him through the midfield.

Just now, roversoutsider said:

We were heavily linked with him our first season back in the Championship. We even lodged a bid but couldn't agree personal terms so the move broke down. 

Always been a fan of the lad. Could do with someone like him through the midfield.

Didnt think he was that good yesterday but he would fit in with the current trend of beards. I liked the look of Reach more.

44 minutes ago, roversoutsider said:

Wasnt it when Bowyer was in charge? Didnt we sign Cairney instead? 

7 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Not much anyone could have done for the first strike as it was a belter but the second was definitely avoidable.

I think I remember some blaming Raya  I don't see what else he could have done? Bannon was left totally in the clear, in the 6 yard box. Don't see how Raya could have covered that!