BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sunderland Netflix documentary

I watched the first two episodes last night. Really enjoying it. The club is coming accross as very amateur, from the chairman to Grayson to the players. No sign of Rodwell yet. It's much better than the city one, more scandal! 

They weren't scouting Bell, they were scouting the winger he was marking. It named the positions they were scouting, wing was one, full back wasn't. Fake news! 

• Like 1

Ok, so Rodwell was featured a fair bit in last nights episode. It is covered "as is" but I think the implication is he is being greedy, which is unfair and I am not just saying that cos he is a Rovers player now. The chairman(who I think comes across as a bit of a cowboy) gets to have his say on the issue, whereas Rodwell doesn't speak(maybe he didn't want to). So on deadline day in January, the chairman is huffing and puffing around saying things along the lines of "we are giving Rodwell the opportunity to tear up his contract and find a new club" and "if he had passion and wanted to play , he would find a new club". He is trying to paint the picture that Rodwell should just tear up his £70,000 a week deal because Sunderland (for whatever reason, they haven't gone into it yet anyway) won't play him. The chairman also goes on about "doing it for the working class fans". It looked to me like Rodwell was made a scapegoat for the chairman being unable to get the players firstly for Grayson and then Coleman. To use a favourite phrase of some on here, a total straw man argument. Yes, it would have freed up £70, 000, but Rodwell would not find a club that will pay him the same or even a club in January as he just hasn't been able to play first team football. The line that is repeated again and again in the documentary is that Ellis Short, the chairman, no longer wants to put any money in , that is ultimately the real issue as to why they can't sign anyone, along with the fact that they are bottom of the Championship after being relegated from the Premier league the season before. They are hardly an attractive option for players. The fans definitely scapegoated him, when there were far bigger issues at the club than a guy who would not do what literally no player would do and tear up a £70,000 a week deal. From what I can gather from the show, they weren't even offering him a percentage of his contract to leave, they just wanted him to cancel his contract, crazy stuff.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 5

I’d agree with that having seen the series now. They didn’t elaborate on what, if anything, they were offering Rodwell as a parting deal. Just expecting him to walk away from his £70k pw wages. Who on earth would have done that? The board/owner needed a couple of scapegoats to alleviate their role in this and he seems to be the chief one from the playing side at least. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

I'm on episode 5,just after Coleman took over. What I found really interesting was Lewis Grabban basically escaping. When they interview him, in an airport it looks like, and he says that he doesnt like been taken off on 60 minutes every game by Coleman. Then he says something along the lines of "nah, not for me" and starts laughing. Coleman made a balls of that because Grabban had 11 goals. In context, McGeady was second top scorer with 4 goals, then you just had players who scored 1 goal each. Whatever chance they had were doomed when Grabban left without being replaced. 

Roll on episode 6

5 hours ago, K-Hod said:

If anyone walked away from a £70k per week contract that they were offered fair and square, without any severance pay, I'd recommend they saw a psychiatrist.

...and then people wonder why Kean/Anderson had no problem leeching off a football club. 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Heart of gold :) 

I would imagine he got a hefty signing on fee to go there and earned a fortune over his career. Playing for Real Madrid would do that.

Rodwells situation was completely different. 

Still, a nice gesture. How long did he pay the wages for? A day, week or a year? 

Does it matter?

So 6 episodes in and I have figured out how and why a camera crew was allowed in to film the car crash. The chairman is an ego maniac.  David Brent is a lazy comparison, but anyone who hasn't watched the show needs to watch it and check this guy out. 

Does anyone with more knowledge on the club than me know how this guy ended up in the role? Did he win a competition? If any of you remember the classic show Dream team, well this guy would fit in perfectly on it. He is an absolute charlatan. 

Honestly though, the entire club comes across as so amateur. For a multi million pound business it's baffling. God almighty I dread to think what the cameras would have seen here circa 2009-2014

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Honestly though, the entire club comes across as so amateur. For a multi million pound business it's baffling. God almighty I dread to think what the cameras would have seen here circa 2009-2014

Well it probably would have been done by Sky, and would by hours upon hours of an agent and his mate with tears in their eyes feeding starving african babies , with the agents son helping load the van with supplies inter spread with rare footage of THAT tackle.  Occasional episode showing a car collection and big parties and one focusing on the Rovers baader meinhoff fans group along with their dark forces mates destroying the club and spiking drinks with ex pros chipping in condemning them. .

So pretty much we did have a documentary based on the above it was called sky sports news (obviously minus footage of that tackle)

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 3

So 6 episodes in and I have figured out how and why a camera crew was allowed in to film the car crash. The chairman is an ego maniac.  David Brent is a lazy comparison, but anyone who hasn't watched the show needs to watch it and check this guy out. 

Does anyone with more knowledge on the club than me know how this guy ended up in the role? Did he win a competition? If any of you remember the classic show Dream team, well this guy would fit in perfectly on it. He is an absolute charlatan. 

Only watched the first episode so far but amateurish it certainly is. Listening to Grayson talk about a positive mental attitude while pointing at a flip chart to a bunch of bored players was Keanesque in the extreme. Utter nonsense. He didn’t even deliver it like he meant it. Peter Reid would be spinning in his pundits chair!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Only watched the first episode so far but amateurish it certainly is. Listening to Grayson talk about a positive mental attitude while pointing at a flip chart to a bunch of bored players was Keanesque in the extreme. Utter nonsense. He didn’t even deliver it like he meant it. Peter Reid would be spinning in his pundits chair!!

Oh god ya, that was amateur wasn't it? His suit didn't even fit properly. 

I don't think the show did Grayson any favours. Struck me as a guy who had a one off hit at Preston. Not far off coyle at Burnley. His methods and he himself came accross as amateur in the extreme. 

• Like 2