BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sunderland Netflix documentary

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh god ya, that was amateur wasn't it? His suit didn't even fit properly. 

I don't think the show did Grayson any favours. Struck me as a guy who had a one off hit at Preston. Not far off coyle at Burnley. His methods and he himself came accross as amateur in the extreme. 

Grayson a one off hit? He’s got 4 separate clubs promoted from league one. Maybe that’s his level ultimately but you can’t call him a one off hit. Do agree in the documentary though that he looked really uninspiring, maybe that spark has gone for him. Comparing him to Coyle is an insult though, the ultimate one trick pony. 

Was an excellent documentary, I watched 7 in a row, best one iv seen, the ones at the Man City, juve etc are boring, just all glitz and glamour. Still reckon a good few of the players seen could do a job for us, Oviedo, cattermole, mcgeady, Honeyman, Williams. Felt a bit sorry for Steele at the end. Terrible keeper tho. Glad we dodged the boy fletcher we were linked with, looked pretty awful from the clips 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Was an excellent documentary, I watched 7 in a row, best one iv seen, the ones at the Man City, juve etc are boring, just all glitz and glamour. Still reckon a good few of the players seen could do a job for us, Oviedo, cattermole, mcgeady, Honeyman, Williams. Felt a bit sorry for Steele at the end. Terrible keeper tho. Glad we dodged the boy fletcher we were linked with, looked pretty awful from the clips 

Have to admit I felt a little sorry for Steele too in the end, he just looked like he wanted to cry! At the same time I still remember when he played in our relegation season and no matter how well we started the opponents always seemed to score with their first attack, terrible goalkeeper. 

I don’t really think any of the managers came across particularly well, the chairman was an absolute moron too and basically felt all problems were down to Rodwell not walking away from about £3 million for nothing!

Edited by cesus
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Butty said:

Grayson a one off hit? He’s got 4 separate clubs promoted from league one. Maybe that’s his level ultimately but you can’t call him a one off hit. Do agree in the documentary though that he looked really uninspiring, maybe that spark has gone for him. Comparing him to Coyle is an insult though, the ultimate one trick pony. 

Fair enough points. He didn't come across well in the show though, but Coleman went in as well and he didn't exactly excel. Perhaps Grayson was so downbeat as it had dawned on him that he had made a huge mistake going there. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

5 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Steele let in some clangers. I am only on episode 7, but knowing he ended up at Brighton will probably stop me feeling sorry for him. 

Fletcher looked like one of the worst strikers I have seen in a long time. I play 5 a side with better players and that's not an exaggeration. He looked slow, AWFUL first touch, brutal shot and worst of all for a big lad he was an absolute wimp, constantly getting pushed off it. Letting Grabban go so that Fletcher could lead the line was up there with as bad a decision as you will see. Did you see the bit where McGeady slates Coleman for this? He was dead right. I disagree with McGeady about Coleman not being hard enough on the players though, I think Colemans initial idea of softly ,softly to take the pressure off was a good idea at the time. I'm just after finishing episode 7 myself, so perhaps Coleman will start dishing out bollockings soon. No spoilers from anyone please!  

I would definitely take Oviedo, McGeady and Williams here. Honeyman and Cattermole don't impress me at all. 

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 20:11, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Would love to know what our scouts saw in Bell. I can’t imagine he was exactly Roberto Carlos at Fleetwood.

The wanted to have some, other than Norman, that they could name part of the ground after.

I thought Coleman came out if it pretty well. I think pep would have struggled to turn that mess around. My god the negative energy coming off the crowd was intense. Nervousness too. Some of the goals they conceded near the end of that season would rip the heart out of a fan. The players couldn't handle the pressure. 

That game against Burton was an insane end to things 

That fan who confronted Coleman in the last episode needed a good smack. How do people think that they can get away with shit like that. He must have signed off on having himself featured in the show as well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I thought Coleman came out if it pretty well. I think pep would have struggled to turn that mess around. My god the negative energy coming off the crowd was intense. Nervousness too. Some of the goals they conceded near the end of that season would rip the heart out of a fan. The players couldn't handle the pressure. 

That game against Burton was an insane end to things 

That fan who confronted Coleman in the last episode needed a good smack. How do people think that they can get away with shit like that. He must have signed off on having himself featured in the show as well. 

Not necessarily. Public place, factual programme, no expectation of privacy etc. Absolute nobhead.

The staff loved Coleman too, seemed a decent bloke (his ex-wife would say otherwise, mind) and I can see why he'd make a good manager with the way he carries himself and talks. Tough job of course, but I do think he's decent Championship level... it was just too big a gig for Grayson and he didn't come out looking particularly well.

Loved the series, look forward to more.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Got to say if mowbray left I wouldn’t be too disappointed with Coleman and Symons in here. It’s not a glamorous name but it’s solid 

If TM was ever to leave our best option would just be to appoint whoever is managing Dortmund’s reserves :lol: there last 3 managers have all gone on to have success. Wolf Wagner and Farke... Gold mine for managers. ;) :lol: 

• Like 2

Finished the show last night. The chairman was a cowboy, but I think he had an impossible job. Short had no interest in the club anymore, the fans despised him and the chairman was his proxy. 

Incredible turn out by the fans for the last game. Amazing they bet wolves 3-0. No pressure on them and the crowd happy short was gone. Football is funny. They could not keep a lead before that. Anyone who thinks we are bad should watch this documentary. How they managed to throw games away was incredible. They would always find a way. 

Sunderland probably got some extra neutral fans from the show. I'm keeping an eye on them in league 1 now. Particularly as we were there last year. With the parachute money, I can totally see why someone took a chance on buying the club. 

Really, really enjoyed the show anyway. Are anymore currently being made I wonder? 

• Like 2

Spoilers for those who haven't watched yet. https://www.balls.ie/football/sunderland-til-i-die-documentary-netflix-403020 

The first paragraph is about the chairmans conversation with Rodwell. Unbelievable really, 

I've had a chat with Jack, and I said to Jack, 'Be a man, you're 26-years-of-age, go and kickstart your career. Tell me, is it about playing football or is it about money? Tell me, which is it?

Jack said, 'It's about playing football.'

But look around you. Look at the state the club is in. Maybe go play football somewhere else.

I hope he just doesn't consider his own interests and I hope he puts Sunderland Football Club up there in his decision-making as well.

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Spoilers for those who haven't watched yet. https://www.balls.ie/football/sunderland-til-i-die-documentary-netflix-403020 

The first paragraph is about the chairmans conversation with Rodwell. Unbelievable really, 

I've had a chat with Jack, and I said to Jack, 'Be a man, you're 26-years-of-age, go and kickstart your career. Tell me, is it about playing football or is it about money? Tell me, which is it?

Jack said, 'It's about playing football.'

But look around you. Look at the state the club is in. Maybe go play football somewhere else.

I hope he just doesn't consider his own interests and I hope he puts Sunderland Football Club up there in his decision-making as well.

Would the chairman have walked away from his own contract to go chair somewhere else? I mean look at the state of the club. Rodwell was made the scapegoat through little fault of his own there. They gave him the contract, an amount he is unlikely to ever see again - sure his performances for them might not have been great but the team and club as a whole was a complete shambles. 

I really hopes he comes good with us, obviously as we'd benefit but also so he can shove two-fingers up to that guy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Would the chairman have walked away from his own contract to go chair somewhere else? I mean look at the state of the club. Rodwell was made the scapegoat through little fault of his own there. They gave him the contract, an amount he is unlikely to ever see again - sure his performances for them might not have been great but the team and club as a whole was a complete shambles. 

I really hopes he comes good with us, obviously as we'd benefit but also so he can shove two-fingers up to that guy.

Exactly. It was an outrageous thing to expect 

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t Short write off the debt as well?

Absolute no brainier for a takeover. 

Two years of parachute payments left, 30,000 gates and no debt. They are another club that will end up in a better place after a year in League 1.

I think the same. Provided they go up. Looking good so far. 

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Didn’t Short write off the debt as well?

Absolute no brainier for a takeover. 

Two years of parachute payments left, 30,000 gates and no debt. They are another club that will end up in a better place after a year in League 1.

Yup, its like a reset going down there. Dross and high earners out - easy enough to get out of at the first attempt, and the club gets back into a bit of a winning mentality. No debt and a 30k hardcore will have them competitive at least in the championship going forward. 

• Backroom

Enjoying this, beautifully filmed and it’s going to be great watching it unfold.

Imagine the documentary was planned to be triumphant with their return to the premier league and ended up being a beautiful disaster and better than the production team could have hoped for 

• Like 1

Watching it at the minute. What makes me laugh is the constant: 

‘Best fans in the country in the north east. So much passion’

Their fans are always parroting it, as are the players and staff.

Just shows if the media repeats something enough, it becomes gospel. They get decent numbers through the gate because there’s only 3 league clubs in the whole north east of England.

As a contrast, there’s 6 league clubs (including Rovers) in just a 15 mile radius of Blackburn alone!

Edited by Mattyblue

Frankly don't give much of a shit about Sunderland, but their disastrous season made this an interesting, morbid watch haha. Especially because you could tell this was designed to be an uplifting, phoenix-through-the-flames documentary, yet I wonder if Netflix knew what a mess they were walking into. I also wonder if this would have been a better watch if you had no idea what was in store for Sunderland...

It was kind of funny how many times they set the footage to make it like 'and here was the turning point game...' or desperately trying to find some green shoots of optimism (Coleman's arrival, Honeyman breaking into the 1st team, Fletcher finally scoring, Williams scoring on his return - okay that last bit was definitely a feel good moment!), yet if you look at Sunderland's year in whole it was pretty shit from start to finish haha...

Grayson simply came off as out of his depth. Maybe didn't realise what a mess of a squad he had inherited until it was too late. He's had enough success elsewhere that I find it hard to believe that he's just been lucky before this, but you wonder about his career now after Bradford too!

Coleman certainly comes off as likeable, and probably like Grayson was doomed before he started, but that brief McGeady interview is probably the most damning bit of the whole documentary.

Steele came off as likeable too (hard to hate on a family man haha), but pretty clear he continued his decline... his transfer (£1.5m?!) to Brighton is pretty mystifying. Perhaps there is some value in a 3rd-string, good locker room keeper and PL teams have plenty of cash to throw around...

The editing obviously wasn't too favourable to Rodwell (seemed a bit unfair when they showed that locker room shot of a muffled voice asking Rodwell if he was playing on the weekend and Rodwell laughing 'not a chance', completely out of context...). Rodwell's Sunderland contract, and his subsequent performance, is a fair punching bag for 'what's wrong with modern football', but what else was he going to do when he probably didn't have any outside option. It would have been interesting if we were shown Sunderland offering him, say, £1m to tear up the remaining £2m of his contract and Rodwell having another contract lined up with another club, but instead all we see is the CEO's 'be a man and tear up your contract' nonsense.

On 21/12/2018 at 23:17, Tom said:

Enjoying this, beautifully filmed and it’s going to be great watching it unfold.

Imagine the documentary was planned to be triumphant with their return to the premier league and ended up being a beautiful disaster and better than the production team could have hoped for 

James Cordens production company are behind it, if anyone is interested.