BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sunderland Netflix documentary

Finished binge-watching this last night & thoroughly enjoyed the insight into a dysfunctional club. Whilst I also enjoyed the “All Or Nothing” on City, this was much more relevant to a Rovers supporter with alarming parallels to our plight at various points over the last 7/8 years.

The behind the scenes staff at the club were the real heroes, the ones in the canteen especially. They are the life blood of the club. It also seemed to shine a harsh light on Chris Coleman’s managerial ability. He had a few false dawns but failed to make any lasting changes.

Jason Steele’s plight touched me to be honest. He seems a decent enough lad but with a chronic lack of confidence that certainly wasn’t helped by moving from one basket case scenario to another.

Great TV, well worth a watch.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Finished it now, wanted to give Jonny Williams a hug, he just seemed so lonely when he was leaving the training ground like he wanted someone to stop him.

Nice to see that these people we praise or throw abuse at at still humans with very human sensitivity’s even if they have millions in the bank.

Thought Coleman came across as a real gent as well even if he failed in his mission there

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Started watching this last night and I was gripped. One of those series in which I wish I didn't know how it was going to end. I used to think Grayson wouldn't have been a bad shout as Rovers manager, but having watched up until his sacking I would stay well clear. Coleman is an absolutely different character. Grayson wouldn't last 5 minutes with the Venkys. Spent the majority of the time sat in his office on his mobile. 

Cattermole is a very motivated and driven character. Certainly somebody I wouldn't mind seeing in a Rovers shirt. 

Can't wait to get home from work to continue watching it. 

• Like 1

Not got round to watching this one yet, but if it's as good as Premier Passions, Sunderland's last documentary in the mid 90s, then I'm in for a treat.

A particular highlight was one of their coaches, I believe Bobby Saxton, describing at length how he hates short passing. Not aged well that one. 

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 2

• Backroom

Coleman came out of it really well even in failure, decent and genuine, the bloke who confronted him was a disgrace.

Rodwell the villain of the piece if you look at social media but he never got chance to put his side across 

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

Coleman came out of it really well even in failure, decent and genuine, the bloke who confronted him was a disgrace.

Rodwell the villain of the piece if you look at social media but he never got chance to put his side across 

Looking at Sunderland, Rovers and Rodwell, I think some of this shows how when the culture and environment of a club is on it's backside, it's really hard for any individual to cut through and not seem like they're part of the problem. You get the odd one like Bennett, but by and large perceptions of individual players are viewed through a lens of the whole set-up being toxic. Throw in a big contract, injury problems and maybe some half true stories about wanting to play, and it's not hard to see where the animosity comes from.

All of a sudden, in a club no longer on a downward spiral, with a proper manager and a healthy culture in the dressing room, Rodwell looks as good as gold. I expect a large majority of players would behave no differently in his position, at either club. Cultures are set by managers, maybe a handful of players and the club going in the right direction.  Most players would just get their head down and fit in, be that good or bad. 

• Like 1

Just finished the series. Thoroughly enjoyable. As a lifelong Rovers fan you can really feel the fans pain. Felt sorry for Coleman, thought that Chief executive was an absolute bell end and don't get me started on Ellis Short. 

Really hope they get promoted this year, and then next season us and them make it back to the Premier League. As long as they sell us Maja this week. 

Makes you realise it's not too bad having blue and white blood. 

Rovers til I die!! 

• 1 year later...
  • Backroom
5 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Enjoying Season 2 of this. I spent my corporate career working in marketing where you meet a lot of vacuous wankers, but none more so than “Charlie“ now running Sunderland. What a clown!

He’s odious isn’t he, the way he spoke to Mrs Rolly Eyes at the Boxing Day game was awful 

• Moderation Lead
31 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Enjoying Season 2 of this. I spent my corporate career working in marketing where you meet a lot of vacuous wankers, but none more so than “Charlie“ now running Sunderland. What a clown!

Aye, he’s a bit of a bully, that guy. 
I felt sorry for the owner a bit, he was well out of his depth, but definitely well intended.

The clowns involved in all levels of football never cease to amaze, the clowns who have millions to waste on it are even worse. Just how do some of these put one foot in front of the other never mind end up loaded.

4 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Yep, clown of the highest order. Won’t listen to anyone else’s point of view whatsoever - hope his career nosedives after this. Makes you shudder to think what it must have been like here over the past ten years with the likes of the bald snake, Shebby and co calling the shots.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

?
5 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep, clown of the highest order. Won’t listen to anyone else’s point of view whatsoever - hope his career nosedives after this. Makes you shudder to think what it must have been like here over the past ten years with the likes of the bald snake, Shebby and co calling the shots.

A series on Rovers during that period would have outdone anything from the Sunderland or QPR (The Four Year Plan) programmes, both of which had their fair share of halfwits.

• Like 2

After watching the first series, I today watched the first four episodes of this. Charlie boy is certainly an odious character and the owner appears to be out of his depth. Just had a look on Wikipedia and his net worth, two years ago, was only £8.4m. Nowhere near enough to bring any sort of ‘glory days’ back to that part of the north east. Shows the sort of pressure they are putting themselves through though. Why bother?