BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Venkys - Welcome or Not?

Venkys - Welcome or unwelcome?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If Venkys apologised and stated that they would attend the next home game, how would you feel?

• Hostile towards them
    • Willing to forgive and draw a line
    • Wouldnt care at all

Obsession with strikers on the wings but failure to recruit another big man is a point loser for me also, no doubt had Samuel been fit he'd have starting wide again most weeks although the option to move him into DG's position in games would've been there.  Carries as much goal threat as a road cone though !

• Like 1

Had to check the thread title- yep his is about welcoming Venky's.

Completely split.

Seven years of hell morphing into a year of eminent good sense with a backdrop of funding in a way that Rovers are unlikely to face administration or any more FFP trouble. 

Got a feeling we will discover we are in a division where it is hell to get out in the right direction but all too easy to crash out of through the trap door. With the passage of time anger at the way our secure Premier League status was frittered will only mount regardless of model guardianship now.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, SergeiTheMeerKat said:

Everybody here wants to see the team gain some momentum in the hope that it will attract better players in January.

Interesting. The money was obviously there in the summer but Rovers struggled to attract the likes of Celina who went to Swansea instead. If the money is there again in January then a few wins beforehand would certainly make us a more attractive proposition to players. 

Is this the start of a concerted attempt to build a squad capable of going up? Are the owners prepared to invest fairly heavily to do this?

PM if you don't want to discuss on here. 

Venky’s ruined something I was immensely proud of and I will never forgive them for it, so I’m not interested in hearing from them, apologies and all the rest of it.

But when I read posts saying ‘I’d be happy for us to be in the Conference if we were rid of them’, I just can’t fathom it. With our infrastructure, that would probably be it for Blackburn Rovers in any recognisable form and with our demographics, we probably wouldn’t ever recover.

Why cut your nose off to spite your face? As long as the club remains stable, Brockhall is kept in tact, the Academy is funded and players are bought, contracts renewed and so on, the status quo can remain for me, for now.

Long term, surely we want the club sold as a going concern at the kind of level we are at now, rather then some bizarre self-sabotage of hurtling to non league? I hate what they’ve done, but they wouldn’t care less and if would be the club and us that would suffer.

• Like 3

The kind of budgets they are providing could take the club places if a lot of it wasn't annually just covering the ridiculous losses they are responsible for creating although from an accounting point of view some of that seems to suit them imo although that's another debate altogether.

If budgets of 25 million per season kept being signed off  yet running costs had been reigned in as they have been that should leave plenty room to maneuver in terms of squad building with a bit of quality. Obviously though the thumbscrews need keeping on over generous contracts and snouts in troughs which infest football at every turn but that comes down now to what they've learned if anything and how much day to day attention they pay to it.

Keep the rats and snakes away and things can remain steady for now.

Edited by tomphil

7 hours ago, Blackburn Bob said:

Is record isn't that great.... So slightly above average then?!

Sorry, I didn't make my point clear. I was thinking in terms of his managerial career over a number of clubs beside Rovers which is why I said "overall record".

What is the average? I don't know.

For us, at this specific point, he has been excellent. Not perfect though. Needs to sort out his best side and play team members in their right positions  before we can truly benefit from his fitness regime, team spirit and good moves in the transfer market.

• Like 2

Yes Venkys have taken from our club (Pride/financially etc) Indisputable as is the anger of fans.

However, if we are to take from Venky's e.g more player investment/supporting manager then it is important to play a game....and not make them feel unwelcome.

They took money from us so now to take money back from them...etc.

If we are over critical we risk alienating investment etc. (keep anger internal)...so yes welcome them and then hope they invest.

Edited by markhayhurst

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Player management - 8/10

Results  8/10

Recruitment 5/10

Ability to spot a genuine wide midfielder/winger and play them there  1/10 

Bit harsh on recruitment. He's brought decent quality in on a tight budget (Brereton excepted who is early days atm). Dack was an exceptional buy, while the loans who have come in have broadly been good.

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Bit harsh on recruitment. He's brought decent quality in on a tight budget (Brereton excepted who is early days atm). Dack was an exceptional buy, while the loans who have come in have broadly been good.

Its a mixed record though. You wouldn't deny that? Dack overshadows everything, that's the point. Best value signing in years.

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Its a mixed record though. You wouldn't deny that? Dack overshadows everything, that's the point. Best value signing in years.

I'd say a 7/10. Hes got us promoted and competitive in the top half of the Championship on very little if you exclude Brereton. If Dack goes he will bring £20m+ into the club.

I can't see how that's a 5/10.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

If you go through them the ratio of good/bad buys is stacked against him. We've already had to pay off two and the ones he got in the summer have contributed very little. I'd only give him 5/10 because Dack was a masterstroke. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

I'd say a 7/10. Hes got us promoted and competitive in the top half of the Championship on very little if you exclude Brereton.

We were the only ones in L1 to spend money, we had the biggest budget (with Wigan)  AND he was allowed to keep the players who were Championship players and should never have been playing in that league in the first place.  What he did was galvanise those players. That's his great strength. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd say a 7/10. Hes got us promoted and competitive in the top half of the Championship on very little if you exclude Brereton. If Dack goes he will bring £20m+ into the club.

I can't see how that's a 5/10.

Im not sure its fair to ignore a 7 million elephant in the room! Hes had favourable budgets in both League 1 and in terms of net spend, the Championship. Has to be a factor in any judgement.

If he had to name his best 11 now, I suspect that Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Williams, Evans, Bennett and Graham would all be in it.

That would leave only 3 of his own signings making the team. Dack is the first name on it. Reed has been a terrific temporary acquisition. The 3rd is one open to debate with no one really nailing it down, with even Conway (another inherited signing) seemingly as close to the team as any of Rothwell, Palmer and Armstrong at the moment.

The likes of Bell, Downing, Smallwood and even Armstrong have big question marks in terms of competence at this level, albeit the latter 3 contributed plenty towards last season. Palmer, Rodwell, Rothwell and Brereton (as well as Armstrong again) all have big question marks in terms of identity and tangible contribution. A few come under the category of supporting roles in League 1, Antonsson, Payne, Samuel, 2 temporary and one injured but I would again doubt that any of them 3 would be good enough in this league. And there have been some total stinkers, Hart, Gladwin etc

I would personally give the most recent transfer window the lowest mark. Although quite a few of his signings from last season have question marks at Championship level, I don't think you could argue against them contributing to various degrees last season, Smallwood and Armstrong played major roles, Downing was important with Lenihans injury and Antonsson chipped in with a few goals again in the first half of the season. He spent a lot of money in the summer, only Reed has nailed down a place, and there are question marks about many of the others and how fit for purpose they really are with the squad looking slightly imbalanced and shallow in a few areas.

Compared to player recruitment and balance of squad, Mowbray comes up particularly favourably in terms of the job hes done getting the best from those he inherited. Raya, Nyambe and Lenihan have all developed under his management. Mulgrew has thrived as a leader as captain and been able to concentrate on his best position, centre back. Evans has gone from fall guy to unsung hero this season and Graham was written off by many but now he seems better than ever, and has been as good as any of our players this season.

Of course, the main thing to judge on is results. And hes come up favourably on that too! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

New filing at Companies House today. Another £6.550 million cash injection into Venkys London Limited which will no doubt be loaned on to BRFC limited as previously.

Total cash outlay by Venkys since day one now stands at just over £163 million with over £16 million being spent in the last 12 months.

12 minutes ago, PLJPB said:

New filing at Companies House today. Another £6.550 million cash injection into Venkys London Limited which will no doubt be loaned on to BRFC limited as previously.

Total cash outlay by Venkys since day one now stands at just over £163 million with over £16 million being spent in the last 12 months.

Ouch. That's a costly clusterfuck 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

On 04/03/2019 at 16:24, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

163 Million...to relegate a Club from the Premiership to Div 1.

Beggars belief.

I bet the club under Jack almost broke even - including the stadium build.

If I met Balaji this weekend.........I would try to see how the power dynamics in the VH group members panned out, and what sort of guy he is before paying the cards out ("there's usually only one of those in a pack"). Then I'd try and talk him round to the point of view that a proper board and youth/recruitment structure is important and needs investment. Don't listen to agents and go for some snake oil miracle cure, find the right manager and build the club again. Do a Bournemouth.

1 hour ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

If I met Balaji this weekend.........I would try to see how the power dynamics in the VH group members panned out, and what sort of guy he is before paying the cards out ("there's usually only one of those in a pack"). Then I'd try and talk him round to the point of view that a proper board and youth/recruitment structure is important and needs investment. Don't listen to agents and go for some snake oil miracle cure, find the right manager and build the club again. Do a Bournemouth.

? There's more chance of training with Theresa May.

17 hours ago, Pedro said:

I bet the club under Jack almost broke even - including the stadium build.

I was curious about this...in the a/cs year ending June 2001 (i.e. after his death) Rovers lost £31m & the balance sheet showed accumulated losses of £70.9m.

7 hours ago, Herbie6590 said:

I was curious about this...in the a/cs year ending June 2001 (i.e. after his death) Rovers lost £31m & the balance sheet showed accumulated losses of £70.9m.

Ahh, yes. There was all the nonsense signings during the Kidd and Hodgson era.

• Like 1