BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Venkys - Welcome or Not?

Venkys - Welcome or unwelcome?  

214 members have voted

1. 1. If Venkys apologised and stated that they would attend the next home game, how would you feel?

• Hostile towards them
    • Willing to forgive and draw a line
    • Wouldnt care at all

Often said on here that this lot have created a ‘hollowed out club’, want a tangible example?

Covid rules say you can have up to 10 directors attending games. How close to Rovers get to filling that quota?

Not very... Waggott, Cheston, Gandhi Babu (based in India?) and non exec (and pretty much retired) Rob Coar.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Often said on here that this lot have created a ‘hollowed out club’, want a tangible example?

Covid rules say you can have up to 10 directors attending games. How close to Rovers get to filling that quota?

Not very... Waggott, Cheston, Gandhi Babu (based in India?) and non exec (and pretty much retired) Rob Coar.

And I'm pretty sure that Waggott hasn't been attending games during Covid or certainly not all of them which usually means it is just Cheston and Silvester representing the club.

• 3 weeks later...

This forum is certainly not representative of the fanbase anymore.

End of the day most football fans want a club to support, especially at the moment, seeing signings enter the building on a regular basis is a bonus. They just want to watch football, talk about tactics, matches and players and support the team, they don’t look much deeper than that.

Also, they’ve been here a decade, so for fans in their 20s and below (who are very prominent in social media) they know little else than this regime’s way of doing things, so harking back to John Williams and the like means bugger all, mid table in the Championship is as good as it’s been, why should Blackburn Rovers expect to be better than that?

Folk like us, who yes, can see how we are totally reliant on their funding, but also forensically look at their record, their appointments, accounts, infrastructure and the like and lament how we’ve fallen are very much in the minority these days, and probably not normal when it comes to your average football fan.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Feed the Yak said:

The Facebook supporters pages are excruciating in their support for Venkys aren't they? How short memories are. I don't live in the area so am not exposed to fellow supporters regularly, but the love in is shameful! 

I haven't lived in the area for almost 30 years but I speak to supporters of Leeds (2) West Ham, Forest (2) Chelsea, Preston and Everton regularly. None of them have (in their perception) good words to say about the Vs.

13 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

This forum is certainly not representative of the fanbase anymore.

End of the day most football fans want a club to support, especially at the moment, seeing signings enter the building on a regular basis is a bonus. They just want to watch football, talk about tactics, matches and players and support the team, they don’t look much deeper than that.

Also, they’ve been here a decade, so for fans in their 20s and below (who are very prominent in social media) they know little else than this regime’s way of doing things, so harking back to John Williams and the like means bugger all, mid table in the Championship is as good as it’s been.

Folk like us, who yes, can see how we are totally reliant on their funding, but also forensically look at their record, their appointments, accounts, infrastructure and the like and lament how we’ve fallen are very much in the minority these days, and probably not normal when it comes to your average football fan.

All really good points. Today it hit me seeing all the posts saying we need to welcome them back with open arms.  I need to move on and away as I'll never forgive. 

• Like 5

I was only thinking about this the other day. How old would you need to be to remember a Rovers team playing attractive football on a regular basis. I'd say you need to be about 15 at least before you can form an intelligent, informed, opinion as to what's going on out on the pitch. So you'd have at least 30 years of age to remember a really classy Rovers team.

Anybody younger than that will have seen tons of rubbish with just the odd good performance thrown in. That explains how lots of people are happy with our current form.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

As if 2 kids on loans and a young left back in the summer for half a million is a massive play by the owners to get to the Premier League.

@Mattyblue makes a correct point and I myself am not that old, but many of them are very young and dont fully understand or appreciate the situation.

Sticking plasters for the CB situation that we have (sick-notes or cards waiting to happen) which has been created by Mowbray, nothing at all to do with any promotion push.

Possibly with guaranteed playing time in lieu of (part) wage contribution.

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was only thinking about this the other day. How old would you need to be to remember a Rovers team playing attractive football on a regular basis. I'd say you need to be about 15 at least before you can form an intelligent, informed, opinion as to what's going on out on the pitch. So you'd have at least 30 years of age to remember a really classy Rovers team.

Anybody younger than that will have seen tons of rubbish with just the odd good performance thrown in. That explains how lots of people are happy with our current form.

Same applied in the early ‘70s Tyrone. The 1960 cup final then two relegations saw off the majority who had luxuriated in watching Duggie, Pickering et al in their pomp. The Div 3 fan base were to a large extent young, new to following Rovers and had a blast watching us at Halifax, Rochdale and the like. If new fans inherited the gripes of the old fans, there’s be fewer and fewer new fans to the point there’s be no club at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The 1995 title winning team was 25 years ago, which must seem like ancient history to younger fans yet it seems like yesterday to older fans

And 25 years before that, we were struggling near the bottom of Division Two ....... a different world of the old Ewood, meat pies, smelly toilets, hooliganism, and John O'Mara, which many of us remember clearly!!

Time marches on.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Same applied in the early ‘70s Tyrone. The 1960 cup final then two relegations saw off the majority who had luxuriated in watching Duggie, Pickering et al in their pomp. The Div 3 fan base were to a large extent young, new to following Rovers and had a blast watching us at Halifax, Rochdale and the like. If new fans inherited the gripes of the old fans, there’s be fewer and fewer new fans to the point there’s be no club at all.

So true! And that was me. I came in just before the 1968 cup run that ended with City. Christmas 1969 and the slump following the Newton sale was such a kick in the nuts...and set a pattern for the rest of my parallel Rovers existence!

• Like 1

Remember talking to some young lads at Doncaster, probably 17 to 21 year olds. 

Of course, I was delighted that night, and I enjoyed the season touring around the country on some novel away days, but relieved too that we made a swift exit, didn’t bear thinking about getting stuck in League 1.

Those lads weren’t just happy, it was ‘the best day of their life’, that team were absolute heroes to them. Their reaction bemused me initially, but then again success and glory for your football club is all relative.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, I was delighted that night, and I enjoyed the season touring around the country on some novel away days, but relieved too that we made a swift exit, didn’t bear thinking about getting stuck in League 1.

Those lads weren’t just happy, it was ‘the best day of their life’, that team were absolute heroes to them. Their reaction bemused me initially, but then again success and glory for your football club is all relative.

Same here with mine.

Here's the miserable bastard bit though...When so many fans ran onto the Doncaster pitch, I was ..well.. disgruntled and remained on the terrace with others, chanting "Off, off!" and worse.

My lads were in the masses on the pitch and really couldn't compute when I explained that there was a large contingent, who were not on the pitch, who were prevented from enjoying the players celebrating in front of the away goal....until that Saturday against Oxford, when they were in the stands at a much bigger pitch invasion.

Saying all that, when I was their age, I was on the pitch at Burslem, among those, who chaired Stuart Metcalfe from the pitch.. I still remember Gordon Lee coming to the edge of the directors' box to calm the exuberant Rovers fans. It was the closest I have come to seeing the Pope in Rome!

For years,totally out of context my mate used to say-in faux Midlands accent- "Go back to Blackburn. Behave yourselves!"

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Same here with mine.

Here's the miserable bastard bit though...When so many fans ran onto the Doncaster pitch, I was ..well.. disgruntled and remained on the terrace with others, chanting "Off, off!" and worse.

My lads were in the masses on the pitch and really couldn't compute when I explained that there was a large contingent, who were not on the pitch, who were prevented from enjoying the players celebrating in front of the away goal....until that Saturday against Oxford, when they were in the stands at a much bigger pitch invasion.

Saying all that, when I was their age, I was on the pitch at Burslem, among those, who chaired Stuart Metcalfe from the pitch.. I still remember Gordon Lee coming to the edge of the directors' box to calm the exuberant Rovers fans. It was the closest I have come to seeing the Pope in Rome!

For years,totally out of context my mate used to say-in faux Midlands accent- "Go back to Blackburn. Behave yourselves!"

I could have written that Leonard! 

😂😂😂

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

So true! And that was me. I came in just before the 1968 cup run that ended with City. Christmas 1969 and the slump following the Newton sale was such a kick in the nuts...and set a pattern for the rest of my parallel Rovers existence!

That is my story too.

24 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Same here with mine.

Waiting in the car park at Port Vale for the Plymouth result.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I think anyone who started following us in League 1 will have had a highly satisfactory 3.5 years: promotion and now close to the playoffs, league’s top scorer and signing future England internationals on loan. 

When we were in Div 3 I had zero time or respect for the old farts telling me they packed it in after the cup final or that Tony Field wasn’t fit to lace Roy Vernon’s boots. Similarly, today’s Facebook fans aren’t deluded fools for not wanting to harp on about Venky’s, Allardyce or lemon drizzle cake, they are enjoying the here and now just like we did.

• Like 1

This football club will never progress whilst those 3 idiots in Pune are involved.

I try not to hate these days, wasted energy, but for king rat and this lot I reserve the right to hate them.

What they did to the football club, the town and its people is criminal and I will never forgive and never forget.

I'm already planning for 'an extended break' if king rat ever comes back, toothbrush packed.

VenkysOut.

14 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I think anyone who started following us in League 1 will have had a highly satisfactory 3.5 years: promotion and now close to the playoffs, league’s top scorer and signing future England internationals on loan. 

When we were in Div 3 I had zero time or respect for the old farts telling me they packed it in after the cup final or that Tony Field wasn’t fit to lace Roy Vernon’s boots. Similarly, today’s Facebook fans aren’t deluded fools for not wanting to harp on about Venky’s, Allardyce or lemon drizzle cake, they are enjoying the here and now just like we did.

Excellent post. Very well put & I now know that at 45 years of age I'm officially an old fart! 🤣

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

One of the biggest differences between then and now John is the information and technology that is pretty much at our fingertips and disseminating that into fact or fiction. In our formative years of watching Rovers all we had was the Telegraph and good old Alf's musings. I can still remember buying a Telegraph on the Boulevard on the way home from school and hanging on his every word. Now there are websites, forums, blogs and many other electronic means of getting information from a whole range of people who have strong opinions. Every Rovers match can be seen live either in person or on a laptop. We were lucky if our highlights were shown once a season on MOTD or the Big Match. Our post match critique used to consist of "he's shit" or extolling the virtues of Field, Jones et al but now, with the benefit of many replays you can analyse everything.

Bloody he'll I feel like an old git now. 😁😁😁😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

One of the biggest differences between then and now John is the information and technology that is pretty much at our fingertips and disseminating that into fact or fiction. In our formative years of watching Rovers all we had was the Telegraph and good old Alf's musings. I can still remember buying a Telegraph on the Boulevard on the way home from school and hanging on his every word. Now there are websites, forums, blogs and many other electronic means of getting information from a whole range of people who have strong opinions. Every Rovers match can be seen live either in person or on a laptop. We were lucky if our highlights were shown once a season on MOTD or the Big Match. Our post match critique used to consist of "he's shit" or extolling the virtues of Field, Jones et al but now, with the benefit of many replays you can analyse everything.

Bloody he'll I feel like an old git now. 😁😁😁😁

Half the time for goals scored in the Darwen End we needed to read Alf to learn who had scored, let alone who touched the ball in the second phase! 

I wonder if our memories of Plymouth 5-2 and Boxing Day at t’Turd would be tarnished by endless replays showing plenty of mistakes in our play. I can recall exactly our goals at Burnley whereas the second half goals against Plymouth (and their two) are all a blur given we were 120 yards away!

• Like 2