BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesborough away Sat 8th Dec

48 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I can remember a game at Ayresome Park on Boxing Day I think. We drew 1-1 but should have won and we were around the top of Div 2 at the time, before our customary slide down after Christmas.

That was the first goal Boro had conceded in about 9 games that day. I may be wrong but I think Mowbray and Pallister were their centre halves.

Lots of aggro that day too - a Darwen lad got badly injured outside the ground.

Great preview.

I resisted jumping in to fulfil the void as I jinx the result whenever I do!

We have had some great results up there (thinking of an out of the blue 5-1 win) but the Riverside stadium has not been a particularly happy hunting ground.

Saw extended highlights of Boro 0 Villa 3 and Boro got very lucky not to lose by more- a lot more. Which is astonishing considering they had only let in 12 all season before that game. They don't score many either.

Boro got to be favourites but Rovers certainly have a decent chance. One thing we can be confident of is Mowbray's preparation will be thorough. We will have to see if the team are on the same page.   

31 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Remember as a kid listening on the radio as we won unexpectedly 5-1 up there mid 80's ish think Brotherston was the main man that day. Couldn't believe Rovers had scored 5 away from home I was on cloud nine, think the Telegraph said 'Rovers go nap' or something, never understood that phrase !

From memory, we were 4 up at half time - we left a few in the pub who didn't get on the ground until half time !!!  Middlesbrough were cr@p that day.  Both teams were in the bottom half of the league.  Former Claret Cochrane (actually rated that lad) got their consolation - him and Hankin (another ex Burnley) got some real stick that day from Rovers' fans.

• Like 2

Not sure what to expect at all in this one. 

We've conceded a staggering 11 goals in our last 4 away games which simply cannot continue. 

That said 75% of Boro home games have seen under 2.5 goals. We've scored in all but 1 away game. 

It's all pointing to a 1-1 draw for me. Boro taking the lead and us bagging a late one.... 

I guess I'd take that. 

• Like 1

Like others am concerned by their style of play. Set piece experts - utilising their big buggers to cause maximum mayhem in our box. Which really ain’t our style. 

Not really sure what TM does to counter this as we have to be the smallest side in the league. Perhaps Chris Samba fancies dusting off his boots for a one off match?!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think we will get smashed tomorrow.

Middlesbrough are a big side and defensively I just don't think we will be able to handle them - we are conceding far too many goals.

Bookies don't fancy us and you can almost get 5/1 on Rovers win.  Lumped on Middlesbrough just short of evens and this week's fun bet is a tenner on 4-1 at 40/1.

Not really looking forward to the match itself but it's a bit of a 'Christmas' day out. 

I fancy us to keep a clean sheet at least. Boro are very defensive side 

backing against your own team? 

Not forward to the match?

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I fancy us to keep a clean sheet at least. Boro are very defensive side 

backing against your own team? 

Not forward to the match?

I simply don't think we will have the physical strength to cope with a big physical team.  We have conceded 9 goals in the last 3 games against 'modest' and 'unfancied' opposition so keeping a clean sheet tomorrow will be very, very difficult -  I think we will be particularly vulnerable on set pieces.

Tomorrow, I strongly fancy Middlesbrough to win comfortably and hence my bets.  If if gets to the last few minutes and we are 3-1 down then I'll be rooting for Middlesbrough to make it 4-1 and give me a £400 win on top of the straight win bet I've placed on them.  If my bets go down because Rovers win (or draw) then I will be delighted (as I've said before, my Rovers' match betting is a bit of fun).

How can you look forward to a match if you think we will get pummeled?  It's a bit of a Christmas day out, however, and I am looking forward to brunch in Thirsk and dinner closer to home.

Hope you enjoy your day Chaddy.

30 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I simply don't think we will have the physical strength to cope with a big physical team.  We have conceded 9 goals in the last 3 games against 'modest' and 'unfancied' opposition so keeping a clean sheet tomorrow will be very, very difficult -  I think we will be particularly vulnerable on set pieces.

Tomorrow, I strongly fancy Middlesbrough to win comfortably and hence my bets.  If if gets to the last few minutes and we are 3-1 down then I'll be rooting for Middlesbrough to make it 4-1 and give me a £400 win on top of the straight win bet I've placed on them.  If my bets go down because Rovers win (or draw) then I will be delighted (as I've said before, my Rovers' match betting is a bit of fun).

How can you look forward to a match if you think we will get pummeled?  It's a bit of a Christmas day out, however, and I am looking forward to brunch in Thirsk and dinner closer to home.

Hope you enjoy your day Chaddy.

But Boro don't score goals at home, I watched the Villa game and they didn't look good. 

Ive done Rovers 2 nil Dack to score 1st. 

I don't think ever we get pummelled at all. 

Leaving about 9 am tomorrow, having Breakfast carvery 1st. might get some dinner at the pub in Harrogate on the way back. 

8 hours ago, Teesside Steel said:

Morning Lads,

Boro fan here. Looking forward to welcoming back my hero to The Riverside tomorrow, Mogga as he is affectionately known on Teesside will get a cracking reception. A legend of a man and Boro through & through. I've seen him several times at the Riverside the last couple of years watching the Boro at every oppurtunity. Hopeful for a 1-0 win for the Boro but i fear if Blackburn go 1 ahead they could go on to win by 2 or 3. Dack looks outstanding.

Trains will be on strike again tomorrow so most of you will be coming by bus as above - Yarm is your best bet for a good sup before the match. However Middlesbrough town centre is home to a number of lovely little micro pub bars around Baker St, other areas such as Southfield Rd you will get served as away fans. Avoid near the ground as The Navigation is Home Fans Only.

Have a good day on Teesside,

Bring yer big coat.

Up The Boro

Can I ask what you think your team will be and formation? 

also what are fans opinions about Pulis and his style? 

Will you spend money in January and how many players will you look to sign? 

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think ever we get pummelled at all. 

With respect Chads, we’ve conceded 11 goals in the last few. 2 of those games, we we slaughtered by local rivals.

9 hours ago, Teesside Steel said:

Morning Lads,

Boro fan here. Looking forward to welcoming back my hero to The Riverside tomorrow, Mogga as he is affectionately known on Teesside will get a cracking reception. A legend of a man and Boro through & through. I've seen him several times at the Riverside the last couple of years watching the Boro at every oppurtunity. Hopeful for a 1-0 win for the Boro but i fear if Blackburn go 1 ahead they could go on to win by 2 or 3. Dack looks outstanding.

Trains will be on strike again tomorrow so most of you will be coming by bus as above - Yarm is your best bet for a good sup before the match. However Middlesbrough town centre is home to a number of lovely little micro pub bars around Baker St, other areas such as Southfield Rd you will get served as away fans. Avoid near the ground as The Navigation is Home Fans Only.

Have a good day on Teesside,

Bring yer big coat.

Up The Boro

Probably interest you as well as Rovers fans.

From LT - Mowbray on his Boro memories

Good preview SA. You are quite right Yarm is a nice town and is my usual stop off for a pre match drink. However having a change tomorrow and taking a slight detour to the Teeside coast - Saltburn for a parmo pub lunch and a couple of pints. I like Teeside and a parmo is a must have dish when in these parts!

Had some good away days at Boro over the years. My favourite was probably a season opener when Santa Cruz equalised on his debut and Matty Derbyshire came off the bench to bag a late winner in front of the Rovers fans. 

Unfortunately got a bad feeling we will get beat tomorrow. I think their drubbing at home to Villa last week has come at the wrong time for us.   

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If Dacks on form, who knows. I have a sneaky feeling Pulis mind under estimate him and not do a man marking job 

Im not saying that you are saying this, so apologies, but there seems to be a growing assumption that man marking him is the magic formula to eradicating him from the game. If only if it was that simple.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not saying that you are saying this, so apologies, but there seems to be a growing assumption that man marking him is the magic formula to eradicating him from the game. If only if it was that simple.

well look at how Sheffield United and Preston man mark out of the game. 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well look at how Sheffield United and Preston man mark out of the game. 

If it was that simple it would have been figured out long ago.

The whole team played shite in both of those games, the latter of which we played with no striker. Hoofing the ball over his head, plus he will have off days.

• Like 2

Well some of you may have heard this before. When I was a lad in the mid 1950s I watched a free-scoring Rovers demolish Middlesbrough 9-0 at Ewood Park. Tommy Briggs, our super centre forward (striker) played but didn't score in that game. The only Boro player I remember was the goalkeeper, Ugolini. Poor fellow! I wonder if he ever got over it.

2018 Boro are a solid side who will not lose two home matches on the trot. Rovers to lose 2-0 I'm afraid to say.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Well if a team doesn't do it properly , like Wednesday, he will run amok. 

Hopefully he is back to his best , so that even if a team does, it won't stop him 

18 hours ago, Mercer said:

Think we will get smashed tomorrow.

Middlesbrough are a big side and defensively I just don't think we will be able to handle them - we are conceding far too many goals.

Bookies don't fancy us and you can almost get 5/1 on Rovers win.  Lumped on Middlesbrough just short of evens and this week's fun bet is a tenner on 4-1 at 40/1.

Not really looking forward to the match itself but it's a bit of a 'Christmas' day out. 

Gone for Rovers to win and both teams to score at 10/1. Late Charlie penalty.