BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Middlesborough away Sat 8th Dec

Hi All

Tough game away at Middlesborough tomorrow at the Riverside,  they are as expected up near the top but did lose 3-0 to Villa in their last home game. 

I unfortunately cannot make the game tomorrow as I have a boys day out in Skipton (twice yearly catch up with old friends) will be messy !!  Been to Borough twice before both at Ayresome park and both times remember it was one of the coldest grounds I had ever been to ( 0 -0 in 1985 crowd 5,000 ish and 3 - 0 win in 1990 crowd 15,000 ish).

Middlesborough are nicknamed Boro or the Smoggies and we're a founder member of the premier league with Rovers, but we're one of the teams relegated in that first season.

Inter club fact - 96/97 season Boro were deducted 3 points by the PL for failing to fulfill their fixture against Rovers.

There have been quite a number of recent connections between the clubs:

Tony Mowbray, Mark Venus, Danny Graham, Richie Smallwood, Stuart Ripley, Harry Chapman, Paul Ince, Craig Higgnet, Yakubu, Marcus Bent, Jordan Rhodes and Rudy Gestede.

Area Facts

Yarm great place for a beer similar to Clitheroe and you would often see footballers past and present (Gary Pallister last time there)

If you are a golfer, two good links courses  ( Seaton Carew and Cleveland) but also inland is the new set up at Rockliffe Hall where Boro have there training ground, it is magnificent and is owned by Steve Gibson who owns Boro.

Let's hope for a Rovers win and kick start our tough festive period, I will leave all the team formations to everyone else !!

COYB

• Like 2

I've been to the Riverside before, around this time of year too.

A Carling Cup Quarter Final, December 21st 2005.

A trip over the Blubberhouses and up to the Smog.

Freezing cold night, Rovers fans singing songs whilst taking off their shoes, an empty main stand (for TV purposes) and a last minute winner from Paul Dickov, which not only sent us through, but more importantly............Meant we didn't need extra time!!

As I recall, Middlesbrough barely had a kick, obviously once Rovers scored, they proceeded to nearly throw it all away seconds later....Massimo Maccarone hit the post with virtually the last kick.

Nearly 13 years..........time does travel fast.

Rovers: Friedel, Neill, Todd, Nelsen, Gray, Bentley (Reid), Savage, Tugay, Pedersen (Emerton), Kuqi, Dickov.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_cup/4537806.stm

I know that most won't agree with me on this one but I would have Armstrong up front instead of Graham for this game we have to get the ball down the sides of the defence 'Boro would want us playing long balls up to Graham that is meat and drink to them.. I would also play Leuitweiller for this game Raya hasn't really been tested with balls on top of him but you can guarantee the first set piece they get there will be stray arms and elbows all over him if he plays

Morning Lads,

Boro fan here. Looking forward to welcoming back my hero to The Riverside tomorrow, Mogga as he is affectionately known on Teesside will get a cracking reception. A legend of a man and Boro through & through. I've seen him several times at the Riverside the last couple of years watching the Boro at every oppurtunity. Hopeful for a 1-0 win for the Boro but i fear if Blackburn go 1 ahead they could go on to win by 2 or 3. Dack looks outstanding.

Trains will be on strike again tomorrow so most of you will be coming by bus as above - Yarm is your best bet for a good sup before the match. However Middlesbrough town centre is home to a number of lovely little micro pub bars around Baker St, other areas such as Southfield Rd you will get served as away fans. Avoid near the ground as The Navigation is Home Fans Only.

Have a good day on Teesside,

Bring yer big coat.

Up The Boro

• Like 8

Been up there many times and can confirm that along with Oldham it's probably the only other place on earth colder, wetter and greyer than Blackburn !

Very similar type club and town to our lot good honest hardworking down to earth in general, love their football and club but fall out with it very easily at times. Double our catchment area which is why their crowds and away followings can fluctuate wildly according to what's going on on the pitch etc but in the main a good solid hardcore of loyal support who'll get behind them if the team is up for it.

Difficult game this but more food for thought in terms of what we have in Mowbray as along with West Brom it's another club who thinks highly of our present gaffer and will no doubt give him a nice welcome.  I hope TM has his non complicated square pegs for square holes thinking cap on tomorrow though or I fear another  thrashing but am favouring a credible draw.

Boro  2    Rovers  2

Oh for the days we always seemed to go up the North East and nick odd goal wins........

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

• J*B pinned this topic

Some murmurings of discontent towards Pulis to be found on their forums. We could do with taking something away from this to take into a tough few games and continue the positivity after last weekend rather than it becoming 3 defeats in 4 games.

Genuinely have no idea how we'll perform. One end of the scale it could be another West Brom, Derby or Stoke where we go to a tough ground and come away with a good result or it could be a heavy defeat along the lines of Preston, Wigan or Bristol City. The hope is that we thrive in the underdog role and playing away and not being expected to get much works in our favour.

Line up wise don't envisage much change from last week except perhaps Lenihan if he's fit enough but expect him to be left out to give him more recovery time before the busy Christmas period.

Been to Middlesbrough I think 4 times, we've lost 1 and drawn 3. Be nice to get a win. That defeat was during the infamous Shebby period when we lost on Boxing Day and upon returning to Ossy we discovered that Henning Berg had been sacked. Mowbray was Middlesbrough manager at the time. They've been low scoring affairs in general and I expect that to continue tomorrow.

I usually enjoy my trips up to the North East, A nice drive over Blubberhouses, not a bad journey and plenty of good pubs along the way.

11 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Some murmurings of discontent towards Pulis to be found on their forums. We could do with taking something away from this to take into a tough few games and continue the positivity after last weekend rather than it becoming 3 defeats in 4 games.

Genuinely have no idea how we'll perform. One end of the scale it could be another West Brom, Derby or Stoke where we go to a tough ground and come away with a good result or it could be a heavy defeat along the lines of Preston, Wigan or Bristol City. The hope is that we thrive in the underdog role and playing away and not being expected to get much works in our favour.

Line up wise don't envisage much change from last week except perhaps Lenihan if he's fit enough but expect him to be left out to give him more recovery time before the busy Christmas period.

Been to Middlesbrough I think 4 times, we've lost 1 and drawn 3. Be nice to get a win. That defeat was during the infamous Shebby period when we lost on Boxing Day and upon returning to Ossy we discovered that Henning Berg had been sacked. Mowbray was Middlesbrough manager at the time. They've been low scoring affairs in general and I expect that to continue tomorrow.

I usually enjoy my trips up to the North East, A nice drive over Blubberhouses, not a bad journey and plenty of good pubs along the way.

I remember watching one game against them under Kean I think. It was a Friday night. One of the rare occasions around then that we were on sky. Marvin Emnes stood out for them, he ran riot and we were lucky to only lose by one goal. It was either 1-0 or 2-1. Pretty much a typical Mowbray ground out win 

Grooby gave me a 6 week ban from the official board after that game for some choice language about the fact that Kean was still manager. My longest ban lol 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Note on title thread: It's MiddlesBROUGH not Middlesborough.

Good club Boro - much like us, working town club with a loyal fan base that has produced many excellent players over the years.  Watched them many times in the 1980s when working in the north east.  John Neal was manager with Craig Johnston, David Hodgson, David Armstrong in the team

Tony won't want to lose and will be a full negative defensive mode.

We have a good record against the NE clubs but can't see better than a 2-1 defeat

Edited by jim mk2

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Message to Boro fan - will Chapman be in the team ?

Nowhere near the 18. I expect him to force a move come January. Not in Pulis' plans. Has the ability but not sure he has the attitude. Been unlucky with injuries the lad. Let's see if he features in the League Cup Quarter Final coming up. Be nice to see how academy graduates Richie Smallwood & Danny Graham get on.

30 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Note on title thread: It's MiddlesBROUGH not Middlesborough.

Good club Boro - much like us, working town club with a loyal fan base that has produced many excellent players over the years.  Watched them many times in the 1980s when working in the north east.  John Neal was manager with Craig Johnston, David Hodgson, David Armstrong in the team

Tony won't want to lose and will be a full negative defensive mode.

We have a good record against the NE clubs but can't see better than a 2-1 defeat

I would suggest going all out attack/ gung-ho away to one of the best sides in the division would not be a great strategy, but maybe that's just me 

54 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I remember watching one game against them under Kean I think. It was a Friday night. One of the rare occasions around then that we were on sky. Marvin Emnes stood out for them, he ran riot and we were lucky to only lose by one goal. It was either 1-0 or 2-1. Pretty much a typical Mowbray ground out win 

Grooby gave me a 6 week ban from the official board after that game for some choice language about the fact that Kean was still manager. My longest ban lol 

They ran all over us that night I remember being impressed with their football and I think Mowbray was boss there then although even on his worst day I think he'd find it easy to tactically outsmart Kean !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

They ran all over us that night I remember being impressed with their football and I think Mowbray was boss there then although even on his worst day I think he'd find it easy to tactically outsmart Kean !

Ya, it was awful. We never looked like scoring. I remember being so disappointed as I rarely got to watch us live back then. Was it 1-0? The scoreline flattered us and I thought jesus if we had have lost 4-0 might have been some chance Kean would be sacked! 

A sack of potatoes on the sideline could have outsmarted Kean 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, it was awful. We never looked like scoring. I remember being so disappointed as I rarely got to watch us live back then. Was it 1-0? The scoreline flattered us and I thought jesus if we had have lost 4-0 might have been some chance Kean would be sacked! 

A sack of potatoes on the sideline could have outsmarted Kean 

Might be wrong but think it was 2-1 to them and that shitehouse was out the door not long after, another reason to thank Tony ?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Might be wrong but think it was 2-1 to them and that shitehouse was out the door not long after, another reason to thank Tony ?

Ya, wasn't long after was it? After our good start that season, I remember watching that game and it hitting me that we were as bad as I feared and as lucky to have started well as I expected 

• Like 1

Pulis has aged a lot over the last couple of years. Football management can take it out of a man. Put the hat back on man

I have always found him a dislikeable sort. What do the Boro fans think? I suppose once he is doing well, it's all the one what his personality is like. 

9144367.jpg?display=1&htype=28&type=resp

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Tony lulling them into a false sense of security lol

“For us, we’ll go there and try and make it a competitive game.

“We have to play how we play, but if we are over ambitious at times then they do have the quality to hurt you on the transition because they have good players.

“But it’s a game we will go and try and be positive in.”

4 hours ago, Scratch Andy said:

Yarm great place for a beer similar to Clitheroe and you would often see footballers past and present (Gary Pallister last time there)

Including Tony Mowbray. He was off to a school Ball in Yarm last Saturday after the game.

I can remember a game at Ayresome Park on Boxing Day I think. We drew 1-1 but should have won and we were around the top of Div 2 at the time, before our customary slide down after Christmas.

• Like 1

Think we will get smashed tomorrow.

Middlesbrough are a big side and defensively I just don't think we will be able to handle them - we are conceding far too many goals.

Bookies don't fancy us and you can almost get 5/1 on Rovers win.  Lumped on Middlesbrough just short of evens and this week's fun bet is a tenner on 4-1 at 40/1.

Not really looking forward to the match itself but it's a bit of a 'Christmas' day out. 

Remember as a kid listening on the radio to the goal flashes and that bloody whistle as we won unexpectedly 5-1 up there mid 80's ish think Brotherston was the main man that day. Couldn't believe Rovers had scored 5 away from home I was on cloud nine, think the Telegraph said 'Rovers go nap' or something, never understood that phrase !

Edited by tomphil

11 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think we will get smashed tomorrow.

Middlesbrough are a big side and defensively I just don't think we will be able to handle them - we are conceding far too many goals.

Bookies don't fancy us and you can almost get 5/1 on Rovers win.  Lumped on Middlesbrough just short of evens and this week's fun bet is a tenner on 4-1 at 40/1.

Not really looking forward to the match itself but it's a bit of a 'Christmas' day out. 

Knowing that Mercer reckons we will get a stuffing gives me renewed confidence that we will get 3 points.?

• Like 2