BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Birmingham-Saturday ,December 15th

When I think of Birmingham city 3 things come to my mind

1- Robbie Savage

189925_1.jpg

Loved Robbie when he was here. He was a real warrior in that Hughes team. Snarling and snapping around midfield. Thanks Brum

2-Alex McLeish

170px-AlexMcLeish_2009_pre-season_croppe

Big Eck, a gruff Scotsman who these days can mostly be found fighting with Tony Mowbray about how much he is allowed flog that old war horse Charlie Mulgrew. Did well at Birmingham, winning their last major trophy, the 2011 league cup. The win was against your textbook later period Wenger team, devoid of bottle. The winner coming from a last minute Obafemi Martins goal on his 54th birthday, which was nice. 

3- This 

Well at least when he went back to Rovers the most embarrassing period of his career was over. 

david-dunn-fat.jpg

Well, mostly. 

Recent times

Following the cup win and relegation from the Premier league, like many clubs, they have had a bumpy few years. They are owned by a Hong Kong based business man and following my intensive 5 minute online research on this, I am even more confused. In short, lots of shenanigans have gone on there since he arrived on the scene. I remember them sacking Gary Rowett when on the cusp of the play-offs, only to make a disastrous appointment in Zola. they floated around relegation after this, up until their last managerial appointment. In a match that looks to have worked out well for both parties, Gary Monk has gotten his promising looking career back on track at the club, after dodgy spells at dodgy Leeds and not dodgy Boro. 

They are currently sitting in 9th place ,equal on points with their illustrious hosts. This is a huge game for both sides as we are now getting to the point where you either break from the middle pack and keep touch with the play-offs, or you drop off to mid table obscurity(or worse). A quick look at their squad suggests to me that Monk is getting the best out of the players at his disposal. They have their financial difficulties and were restricted during the summer when it came to incomings, so credit to Monk. 

This is the kind of game we must win if we have any hopes of keeping in touch with the play-offs. Hopefully the performance is more Sheffield Wednesday than United.

Prediction 

2-1 Rovers

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 4

• K-Hod pinned this topic

Brum seem to go in stops and starts and seem to be in stop mode at present.

If we play as we can and attack from the off, of course we can win this. Would be nice to win without drama but we all know that is not going to happen. Would like to see Rothwell and Brereton get decent amounts of game time. 

Nice preview!

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

Reed Evans

Conway Dack Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutweiler, Downing, Smallwood, Rodwell, Brereton, Palmer, Armstrong

Would like to finally see Rothwell start and give us a more attacking edge with Reed in central midfield.

Harsh on Downing who I do feel has to be 3rd choice at centre back over unnaturals Williams and Rodwell but Lenihan is a better player.

Think its crucial we win with the games we have coming up.

Raya

Nyambe            Lenihan         Mulgrew           Williams ?

Bennett/Conway       Reed      Smallwood         Rothwell

Dack

Graham  

Subs: Leutwiler, Downing, Bell, Evans, Armstrong, Palmer, Brereton

Id start Conway if Bennett isn't fit

This one concerns me a little, as Birmingham have been a major surprise for me.  They didnt start the season in too good a shape, but now, they sit above us in 9th.  Its not been the best of form for them, but they still have the ability to be troublesome on Saturday.  Big team selection decisions for Mowbray this weekend, Big Ben and Rothwell must be close to a start. Armstrong must be further back after his no show against Boro. Will be interesting all the same. Also, a small matter of Connor Mahoney's return to Ewood! Tomatoes at the ready? Or pound notes?