BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Birmingham-Saturday ,December 15th

The defence and keeper are based around youth, all average and unlikely ever to be anything much more e

except ironically maybe Raya in terms of quality if not brains so these things will happen on a regular basis i'm afraid.

It all has to have time to grow and gel and hopefully learn from these things or as we've yelled for repeatedly if you want to go somewhere as a team it needs some investment in quality in that back line. Build a solid base, build from the back and have the vibrant youthful players up front.

It is what it is, disappointing but in no way surprising !

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Really is hard work having to watch Richie Smallwood for 90 minutes every week, last straw came and went today.

I’d wager my bottom dollar it won’t have come and gone for Tony. He’s bloody undroppable.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

Just now, West Yorks Rover said:

Why does Mowbray insist on taking Danny Graham off early almost every game, we were cruising at 2-0, how many times

have we dropped points after his departure from the field ?

What?? 

Does Graham play in goal/in the back 4 now?

Heard Mowbray’s interview in Radio Lancs, he said something like ‘that shouldn’t happen, but maybe it shows where we are’

It does and the manager obviously realises we need to improve the squad. Full backs would need to be a priority.

Edited by Mattyblue

• Backroom

What's sad is that the playoffs are there to be taken this season. Better investment in the summer and either a coach or a different manager who could organise a defence and this could have been a very interesting season. As it stands it's going to be a season of wasted opportunities, with poor summer investment meaning we're still a long way from even being back to where we were three years ago, let alone when Venky's first darkened the doors of Ewood with their presence.

• Like 3

• Backroom

Didn’t go today but within a week that’s two games against fancied opposition, first one we were 1-0 against 10 men for 75 minutes and second we were 2-0 and coasting by the sound of it and have come away with 2 points.

Ignoring the ‘would have settled for a point at 3pm’ talk that’s pretty poor and shows a weak underbelly for me 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

What was Raya thinking? He needs dropping now not just because of this. Bell should not be in the team and I've big doubts about Armstrong. Ok he scored but he can't carry the ball. 

Not an excuse, just a thought I wonder how much the mask affects his peripheral vision, I watched the incident a couple of times and he seemed genuinely surprised when clattering into the Brum player

1 minute ago, DE. said:

What's sad is that the playoffs are there to be taken this season. Better investment in the summer and either a coach or a different manager who could organise a defence and this could have been a very interesting season. As it stands it's going to be a season of wasted opportunities, with poor summer investment meaning we're still a long way from even being back to where we were three years ago, let alone when Venky's first darkened the doors of Ewood with their presence.

A different manager???

Crikey. You aren’t the bloke that said we should sack Mowbray for Paul Hurst are you?

3 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

Not an excuse, just a thought I wonder how much the mask affects his peripheral vision, I watched the incident a couple of times and he seemed genuinely surprised when clattering into the Brum player

The coaches would surely know by now if it’s an issue? IF it is effecting him then he needs this operation now, even if Jason may not be Championship standard. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

What?? 

Does Graham play in goal/in the back 4 now?

Well obviously not, but we certainly seem to lose our composure once one of our most important players goes off, and we have

less chance of getting the 3 points, it's happened too many times to be a coincidence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

The coaches would surely know by now if it’s an issue? IF it is effecting him he needs this operation now, even if Jason may not be Championship standard. 

You would think so wouldn't you , like I say not an excuse just a observation and that thought popped into my head

• Backroom
Just now, S8 & Blue said:

A different manager???

Crikey. You aren’t the bloke that said we should sack Mowbray for Paul Hurst are you?

No. I'm not saying I would have sacked or indeed would sack Mowbray either, but the fact remains for all the positives he's brought to the club - and there's plenty - he's never solved our defensive issues. I would rather he'd have brought in a coach or a better assistant in the summer to sort our defence out, as it's our achilles' heel. Some fans ignored it in League One because we were still winning matches as it was easy to outscore the opposition, not so much this season and a blind eye can't be turned anymore.

Is anyone surprised? I'm certainly not, once they got one back the equaliser was inevitable. We are too soft and too many players go missing when the going gets tough instead of rolling their sleeves up and fighting. The engine room of Smallwood and Evans is always the first thing to evaporate, if I was Reed I'd be looking to move to a club where I am played in my best and most effective position as he is wasted out wide. But the result has to be on Mowbray today why is he taking Graham off has he learnt nothing from performances when Graham has not been playing this season, we can not afford to take Graham of as he is our key player and despite Mowbray spending £7 Million on Brereton we don't have anyone capable of replacing Graham.

After a promising start to the season the defence has as I feared been shown not to be up to it at this level which is not really a surprise as we struggled to keep clean sheets last season in League 1 and no new defenders have been added. Nyambe has been well off the pace since his injury, Lenihan looks well out of place at this level as a centre back and as for Bell I've seen statue's with more energy. A big, physical ball winning centre back to play alongside Mulgrew is a must in January but it has been what we have needed for 3 or 4 windows now.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

What happened there !!! Two nil up, went for a pee, came back and where clinging on for dear life. 

How did brereton do when he came on. (Ignore that emoji I don't no how to delete it ?

Still looked like the lanky schoolboy whose bones have grown faster than his muscles.

10 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

So effing predictable it’s untrue. How many do we need to be clear by before we can see out matches? 4 maybe?

Lenihan, Smallwood, Bell, Nyambe and Raya (obviously) all poor for me. 

Fuming. And please for the love of God can no wally come on here saying ‘I’d have taken a point before the match kicked off.’

That usually happens later in the night. Don't think I've ever been this annoyed. They need a blasting from Mowbray. An ex pro once told me a 2 0 lead is dangerous and today was evidence of that. Fan let down again.

This team lacks a Ryan Nelson style leader of a central defender who defends first over anything. It also lacks a commanding centre midfielder who can take control of a game. 

If those two positions could be sorted then this team could get top 6 without a doubt. 

Never going to blame the Brereton lad because he doesn't set his price at 7 million and I genuinely think he will be a very good player but to spend that kind of money on one player is naive. 

For 7 million you could have bought the best centre back in the league or the best centre midfielder.

I'd be looking to replace Smallwood and Lenihan come the next window with them dropping to bench options along with Downing.

• Like 2

The issue isn't taking Graham off he needs to be managed that way now to get the best out of him the real issue is not having another guy to take his place therefore altering the way it's going.

Dress it up all you want but this lack of prep and acquiring another target man knowing full well you are going to be playing that way this season and whizzing your money on a might be might not be overated kid is piss poor.

Yet again a proper commanding centre back and another proper target man type could be the difference between a comfortable season and a worrying one. We are falling down with the same old problems w eek in week out.

• Like 2