BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Corry Evans

He has just signed a new two and a half year deal. 

I think this is good news. When fit he is a good championship midfielder. I would even bet as players in the squad improve, he will keep his place. 

If he left, how much would it cost to replace him? He would have ended up at a top championship club 

A bit pedestrian from my liking at times, but he is good at what he does. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Lower half of the championship standard midfielder at best.

His form has improved this season, but then it did the last time a new contract was in the offing. He then reverted to type.

He doesn't strike me as a "winner" and rarely risks himself in tackles.

But if lower half championship is what we want, then he's ok I suppose.

• Like 2

Not sure he would have ended up at a top championship club tbh, though he would have been a good 'freebie' for someone. Not sure a single club has sniffed around him since being with us which you would expect if he was good enough for one of the better teams. That said, he has been very good last season and this so far, so happy for him to get an extension. Just hope he proves me wrong now and does not drop his effort levels.

As a player, I can take him or leave him.

However, bigger picture, the fact that the highest earners at the club (players brought in at a time of relative largesse) have been signed up on new deals tells me that we are competitive in this league again and that is a positive.

Good solid defensive midfielder. Put him in a team with better players and he wouldn't look out of place. He will never be the one you look to for goals or creativity, but not every player can be that. He intercepts passes and breaks up play. I wouldn't be surprised to see a top 10 championship team sign him if he was available on a free. 

• Moderation Lead

Wouldn’t say I was disappointed, as he’s been one of our better players this season in fairness.

But the bigger question is doing it consistently and not just before NI are playing....

Once you get an opinion on a player, it's hard for them to change your mind, so my biggest complement to Evans is that after thinking that he's not been contributing nearly enough for most of the last four years, he's improved enough that I'm actually chuffed with this.

Hopefully this is more to do with fitness and having a proper manager than anything else, but his form over the last 12 months suggests he is a better player than just a Championship journeyman, if at the same time not of the highest quality. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Disappointed with this news. Not good enough and if we are looking to improve we should be looking to offload Evans and put the money saved towards bringing in better players who can take us forward at this level such as Reed.

Doesn't need to be an either/or for me. If the owners are deciding to throw £7 million at teenagers that tells me there's plenty of money around for reinforcements whilst keeping the senior players at the club, if they want to do it.

This is where Rovers really don’t help themselves. They are using this inspirational signing to have a dig at wavering fans for their lack of “commitment”.

Waggott hasn’t impressed me one bit since he’s been here. Without Mowbray he would be toast.

3694948F-D8D0-4FEA-BB73-447BB5F0CEB0.jpeg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

This is where Rovers really don’t help themselves. They are using this inspirational signing to have a dig at wavering fans for their lack of “commitment”.

Waggott hasn’t impressed me one bit since he’s been here. Without Mowbray he would be toast.

3694948F-D8D0-4FEA-BB73-447BB5F0CEB0.jpeg

Couldn't agree more Stuart. If I didn't have a ST already and was thinking about investing in a half ST the thought of having to watch Evans for another 2 and a half years would be more likely to put me off than inspire me to make a purchase.

Now if it was the news that Reed had signed a pre contract agreement with a view to penning a permanent deal on Jan 1st......... then you'd be talking.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Doesn't need to be an either/or for me. If the owners are deciding to throw £7 million at teenagers that tells me there's plenty of money around for reinforcements whilst keeping the senior players at the club, if they want to do it.

Well, yes, it's not my money we're wasting and if it was a case of funds being unlimited and we ended up with Reed AND Evans I could put thisdown as an irrelevance and fools and their money being easily parted etc.

i presume it's not quite as simple as that though, I assume we're still paying lip service to FFP so every penny spent on players who won't improve us like Evans is less available to spend on players who will take us forward like Reed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Couldn't agree more Stuart. If I didn't have a ST already and was thinking about investing in a half ST the thought of having to watch Evans for another 2 and a half years would be more likely to put me off than inspire me to make a purchase.

Now if it was the news that Reed had signed a pre contract agreement with a view to penning a permanent deal on Jan 1st......... then you'd be talking.

That would be the club investing in young exciting talent and letting the ‘product’ sell itself.

35 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

If you see that as a dig I think the problem might be you.

Maybe ‘dig’ is the wrong word but it’s certainly trying to guilt fans, particularly lapsed season ticket holders, into returning. It’s not the first time they’ve done it either. They should try to encourage fans to feel they are “missing out” by not being here rather that “not being loyal or committed enough”. Marketing psychology 101 stuff but it shows how out of touch Waggott is with the fanbase that he chooses this line with Blackburners.

“Get your season tickets, back the lads, or you’re not a real fan” - actually that could have been written by...

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That would be the club investing in young exciting talent and letting the ‘product’ sell itself.

Maybe ‘dig’ is the wrong word but it’s certainly trying to guilt fans, particularly lapsed season ticket holders, into returning. It’s not the first time they’ve done it either. They should try to encourage fans to feel they are “missing out” by not being here rather that “not being loyal or committed enough”. Marketing psychology 101 stuff but it shows how out of touch Waggott is with the fanbase that he chooses this line with Blackburners.

“Get your season tickets, back the lads, or you’re not a real fan” - actually that could have been written by...

Dig was the correct word Stuart

Classless stunt which will have the opposite effect.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Franky said:

Dig was the correct word Stuart

Classless stunt which will have the opposite effect.

Googled “classless stunt” to get some idea of context, and I found a story about Janet Jackson showing her breast at a super bowl half time show.

So, I think we’d agree, that’s if Waggott did the same at Ewood, at half time trying to sell HST’s. Not an image I really needed tbh.

6 hours ago, toogs said:

Lower half of the championship standard midfielder at best.

His form has improved this season, but then it did the last time a new contract was in the offing. He then reverted to type.

He doesn't strike me as a "winner" and rarely risks himself in tackles.

But if lower half championship is what we want, then he's ok I suppose.

"Rarely risks himself in tackles"??? THE guy might not be a winner and his scoring record is terrible, but a fighter he is.

I am glad he has signed a new contract, would love to see him pairing with Rothwell thou

Edited by skous18
  • Like 1

As for Evans....

I genuinely would’ve been annoyed 9 months ago, but he has grown on me recently especially because of the sheer persistence in his game. 

That said, I’m not exactly convinced he will keep it up. For me, it’s not because of a new contract or the NI call up, something we’ve all joked about at some point. I just think he has that unfortunate injury streak in him. 

Another good sign from the club though all in all, it’s quite easy to see the benefit of keeping him his perceived “peak”. Even if Reed is the best box to box midfielder we have.

Rodwell certainly hasnt shown the fitness to go up and down the pitch like the others, although he’s hardly been tried at CM so he’s behind the rest on the basis he’s seemingly seen as a central defender by Tony.

Smallwood has the best attitude, effort, and heart of all of them. Probably the most limited at times though on the ball. I love Elliot Bennett but I just think he’s not quite up to a more central defensive role, prefer him to be out wide with pace and energy. He did well when he deputised last season but that ultimatley was curtailed by Evans return and he’s hardly been out the team since.