BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Corry Evans

6 hours ago, toogs said:

Lower half of the championship standard midfielder at best.

His form has improved this season, but then it did the last time a new contract was in the offing. He then reverted to type.

He doesn't strike me as a "winner" and rarely risks himself in tackles.

But if lower half championship is what we want, then he's ok I suppose.

Harsh. Especially the tackling bit. He goes into 50/50's that others would be happy to avoid. He also got promoted with Hull to the Prem so I'm not sure 'lower half Championship at best' is accurate, although the standard has improved in the 5+ years since Hull went up. 

I'd agree he's underachieved at Rovers, whether that's because of attitude or continual injury problems it's hard to say. However, I do think on his day he's a good old fashioned midfield schemer and that without spending a few £m he would be hard to replace. 

• Like 1

TM has always spoken positively about Evans, I think Evans getting a new contract was always in his mind (assuming it was ok financially)

Squad still needs plenty of work over the next few windows (assuming we are aiming high) and Evans will still be needed for the time being, even if the ultimate aim is to replace him.

If we are replacing CM’s, I’d be looking at Smallwood to go first.

18 month ago I would of been seriously miffed at this. But he has won me over. Been pleasantly surprised with his simple way he keeps things ticking over in the middle. Is always hassling but for a supposed defensive midfielder he is pretty weak in tackles. If he keeps up his last q8 months level going forward I would be happy.

Not gonna win us any games. Or even score. But I can appreciate his game. 

• Like 2

Not a big Evans fan and last season.I would have been happy to sell him. But the last 6 months he has been excellent on the whole. Also notice he has recently getting forward more. 

Cant see Reed being here next season and with Travis and Davenport here I think we are well stocked there. Plus will Rodwell be here next season? Dont know. Think Rothwell should be in the team by then. Bennett is must starter in any team we pick. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Not a big Evans fan and last season.I would have been happy to sell him. But the last 6 months he has been excellent on the whole. Also notice he has recently getting forward more. 

Cant see Reed being here next season and with Travis and Davenport here I think we are well stocked there. Plus will Rodwell be here next season? Dont know. Think Rothwell should be in the team by then. Bennett is must starter in any team we pick. 

What makes you suggest that Travis and Davenport are ready to become regular first team players any time soon?

I personally dont see Rothwell becoming a central midfielder anytime soon either, his strength is running at players which needs to be done in the final third.

If Reed does as expected go back then he will need replacing. The likes of Smallwood, Bennett and to a much lesser extent Evans are all very useful players to have around but if we have genuine promotion contenders then I dont see it happening with all of them as regulars in the team. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cant see Reed being here next season and with Travis and Davenport here I think we are well stocked there. Plus will Rodwell be here next season? Dont know. Think Rothwell should be in the team by then. Bennett is must starter in any team we pick

Bang on there Chadster Benno for me epitomises a never give up spirit that has been sadly lacking for a while now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

Bang on there Chadster Benno for me epitomises a never give up spirit that has been sadly lacking for a while now. 

To be fair I think there are no questions now regarding the team spirit across the team. So not sure that criticism is relevant any more.

Bennett shouldnt be shoehorned in solely due to his attitude and spirit. He should only play when his form and performances dictate that he is the best choice in a certain position. He has the capability to be able to do that and is an important member of the squad but hes got to merit his place. For example, to merit a place wide he needs to provide more of an attacking threat and goals/assists. That being said, so do all of our wide men.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

What makes you suggest that Travis and Davenport are ready to become regular first team players any time soon?

I personally dont see Rothwell becoming a central midfielder anytime soon either, his strength is running at players which needs to be done in the final third.

If Reed does as expected go back then he will need replacing. The likes of Smallwood, Bennett and to a much lesser extent Evans are all very useful players to have around but if we have genuine promotion contenders then I dont see it happening with all of them as regulars in the team. 

If Davenport had been fit I believe he would be a regular. Travis will only get better by playing. Big fan of him. Box to box player. 

Rothwell would be my playmaker in the side if Dack goes in the summer unless he stays loyal to Mowbray and Rovers would be nice to see for a season. 

For me, Rothwell and Davenport will be key to Mowbray changing our style of play as he has said he wants too. 

56 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

To be fair I think there are no questions now regarding the team spirit across the team. So not sure that criticism is relevant any more.

Bennett shouldnt be shoehorned in solely due to his attitude and spirit. He should only play when his form and performances dictate that he is the best choice in a certain position. He has the capability to be able to do that and is an important member of the squad but hes got to merit his place. For example, to merit a place wide he needs to provide more of an attacking threat and goals/assists. That being said, so do all of our wide men.

In that case we wouldnt pick any wide players then! Bennett starts every game as for reasons I have posted different times on here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Davenport had been fit I believe he would be a regular.

Who do you think Mowbray would have dropped to accommodate Davenport? Smallwood is one of his favourites and to be fair to him the shirt is/was his to lose after last season. Evans is an experienced Championship player and international regular who has been one of our standout performers since early 2018. I'm not sure how else Davenport could be accommodated and don't think for one minute Mowbray is the sort of manager to throw younger players in at the deep end.

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

If Davenport had been fit I believe he would be a regular. Travis will only get better by playing. Big fan of him. Box to box player. 

Rothwell would be my playmaker in the side if Dack goes in the summer unless he stays loyal to Mowbray and Rovers would be nice to see for a season. 

For me, Rothwell and Davenport will be key to Mowbray changing our style of play as he has said he wants too. 

In that case we wouldnt pick any wide players then! Bennett starts every game as for reasons I have posted different times on here. 

I find it bizarre and hypocritical that you was advocating dropping Dack (attacking talisman and consistently has scored and assisted throughout this and last season) after a couple of poor games whereas you would make Bennett undroppable regardless of form.

Out wide is possibly our weakest area in terms of having players to rely upon to score and assist to contribute.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I find it bizarre and hypocritical that you was advocating dropping Dack (attacking talisman and consistently has scored and assisted throughout this and last season) after a couple of poor games whereas you would make Bennett undroppable regardless of form.

Out wide is possibly our weakest area in terms of having players to rely upon to score and assist to contribute.

I explained why I would drop Dack and my reasons were more than just form tho. But you have ignored them again. Thanks. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Who do you think Mowbray would have dropped to accommodate Davenport? Smallwood is one of his favourites and to be fair to him the shirt is/was his to lose after last season. Evans is an experienced Championship player and international regular who has been one of our standout performers since early 2018. I'm not sure how else Davenport could be accommodated and don't think for one minute Mowbray is the sort of manager to throw younger players in at the deep end.

I think Smallwood. 

Tho your last point is correct

On 14/12/2018 at 10:06, roversfan99 said:

Saying that Savage made a career out of it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...