BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Corry Evans

Corry Evans has been at Rovers for 7.5 years making 197 appearances and scoring 4 goals. This makes him the longest serving current player does it not?

The injuries he has suffered have blighted his career but they have not been all in the same place so it is unfair to describe him as made of glass.

A season ending groin tear, broken toe, massive head injury. The guy has put his body on the line for the club. This is why I had a go.

As a footballer he is not someone who is going to excite the fan base but as a defensive midfielder he does his job more often than not and relies on others around him to provide the creative flair.

If this is a provocative post, it is not me who has the problem.

Edited by philipl

12 hours ago, tomphil said:

The term hate really needs clearly defining on here for some.

If someone doesn't particularly rate a player going off what they've been paying to watch for years it doesn't automatically mean they hate that player or person.

The world we live in I’m afraid.

These same people also change the meaning of words from time to time in order to create faux offence.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stuart said:

The world we live in I’m afraid.

These same people also change the meaning of words from time to time in order to create faux offence.

Agree and i suppose age might be a factor some of the replies seem more the knee jerk facebook group type.

To imply people are hating on Evans because he had his face smashed in and might not quite be the same is a bit of an insult. 

If he ends up second half of this season in a midfield partnership with Travis or someone and he's playing well week in week out and we are winning nobody will be complaining.  He'll be getting the plaudits and a new contract and we'll be reaping the benefits.

Long term though we'd likely be having these same conversations this time next season and that's the whole point in regards to that player. The midfield needs shaking up and changing permanently because as is proven odd little spells aside his type of player doesn't actually help our defensive record nor creates or assists virtually anything.

Edited by tomphil

He’s an established international and will be 31 in the summer, so he’ll want and expect one more big contract to see him through.

The club just needs to look at it rationally, does he offer enough to justify making him one of our big earners for the next few years in an FFP world ?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

Just now, Mattyblue said:

He’s an established international and will be 31 in the summer, so he’ll want and expect one more big contract to see him through.

The club just needs to look at it rationally, does he offer enough to justify making him one of our big earners for the next few years in an FFP world ?

Simply put, no.

And that’s before taking into account injuries.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

Simply put, no.

And that’s before taking into account injuries.

Agreed, the club has Rothwell, Johnson, Travis, Buckley, even JRC, Trybull if they extend him- all of whom are better options and should be looking for much better when awarding contracts next summer. But Corry would be a great signing for a newly promoted or bottom half Championship club looking to consolidate their place.

• Like 1

Johnson, Evans, Holtby, Trybull, Bennett, Rankin-Costello, Rothwell and Downing who can all play CM are out of contract. Out of them only Holtby, Rankin-Costello and Rothwell can really add value going forward. The jury is still out on Trybull for me.

Aside from them Dack, Nyambe, WIlliams, Douglas, Elliot and Chapman are also out of contract. I believe there is an option with Dack though.

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Johnson, Evans, Holtby, Trybull, Bennett, Rankin-Costello, Rothwell and Downing who can all play CM are out of contract. Out of them only Holtby, Rankin-Costello and Rothwell can really add value going forward. The jury is still out on Trybull for me.

Aside from them Dack, Nyambe, WIlliams, Douglas, Elliot and Chapman are also out of contract. I believe there is an option with Dack though.

Looking at that you could argue we really need promotion this season !

I just know we'll end up with Evans and Bennett first to be signed up again.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Cornelius is missing for Sunderland tonight. Amazingly he is injured having gone off on Saturday. 

Cornelius? Is that his real name? We had an Irish teacher at school called Cornelius. Everyone called him Corny for short and not Corry.

6 hours ago, arbitro said:

His proper name is Cornelius.

I was really surprised to read that was his proper name because I always thought he was Northern Irish Protestant...

When I was a lad, boys called "Neil" often had the initial C....in the same way as ones called Louis had the initial A.

All we need now is to find that Iggy Pop's real name is Ignatius!

On a similar note, the great Don Martin was christened "Donnon", I seem to remember....

Oh, the trivia I retain!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

I was really surprised to read that was his proper name because I always thought he was Northern Irish Protestant...

When I was a lad, boys called "Neil" often had the initial C....in the same way as ones called Louis had the initial A.

On a similar note, the great Don Martin was christened "Donnon", I seem to remember....

Oh, the trivia I retain!

And Ben Arentoft was indeed Preben.

8 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Oh, the trivia I retain!

James Newell Osterberg, Jr. apparently

• Like 3