BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Leeds United v Rovers: Boxing Day 2018, 3pm

Leeds riding high with their comeback win against Villa to climb back to the top of the table... Rovers heading towards the doldrums, lacking punch, leaking goals for fun and seemingly unable to see a game out from any score...

Yep, it has shock win written all over it for me! Going for a scrappy dink by Nyambe deflecting in off Brereton's right bum cheek in the 93rd minute, following a can't hit a barn door with a banjo show from Leeds' over-confident strike force.

Get in there Rovers, and spoil the Yorkshire yuletide yelling with a back to basics bashing for the big-club bastards.

Merry Christmas, to one and all.

• Like 1

Got a feeling the manager will go with a back 3/5 formation for this.

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Nyambe Reed Rodwell Rothwell Bell

Dack Graham

Plenty of energy and speed to match them. Give Dack a full free role with three midfield runners.

Let Reed and Rothwell get forward to support with Rodwell holding the fort. Would like to see either Armstrong or Brereton at some point up front with Graham during the game just to see how it goes. Can't drop Dack though.

2 minutes ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Dack Graham

Plenty of energy and speed to match them. Give Dack a full free role with three midfield runners.

Let Reed and Rothwell get forward to support with Rodwell holding the fort. Would like to see either Armstrong or Brereton at some point up front with Graham during the game just to see how it goes. Can't drop Dack though.

Is there an update on Reed’s hamstring ?

Not a nice one for Rovers with the only blessing being that we beat them earlier in the season. Can lightning strike twice? Hmmmm.... doubtful. Hoping the injuries will open the doors for others. Chance now for Rothwell and Co. Thoughts and a nasty prediction from the Cat.... before I forget... Merry Christmas all. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Dack Graham

Problem here is that if you play 3 at the back, they all need to be quick and very comfortable on the ball...Charlie is comfortable on the ball but not quick, Downing is not comfortable on the ball and is not quick and Lenihan is not comfortable on the ball and is middling for pace. Against Leeds,  they'd put 3 up front and kill us. Especially as we aren't used to it and dont have the defensive legs for it. It would be suicide (IMV)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Dack Graham

The most adventure you’ll see will be playing Conway, Palmer, or Bennett instead of Armstrong. Reed will be on the right and Evans and Smallwood will be holding.

Sod it. If we're going to go down, let's go down in flames. I'd like to see us stop humping the long ball up to Graham and start playing the ball cleverly into channels for the likes of Armstrong and Brereton to run onto.

I'd go 

Raya

Nyambe Mulgrew Lenihan Bell

Palmer Reed Rothwell

Dack

Brereton Armstrong

.....but I suspect TM will be ultra cautious and I wouldn't be surprised to see him pack defence and midfield and maybe even come up with some weird formation without an out and out striker like at West Brom or Preston.

6 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

Raya

Lenihan Downing Mulgrew

Dack Graham

Yeah this looks good to me. I want to see the wing back 3-5-2 formation, Tony has used it in the past. The lack of out and out wingers means we should be focusing the ball through the middle of the park.

For me Dack should be at top of the 3 man midfield diamond, and then pick one of Brereton or Armstrong to partner Graham up top. Armstrong is a different player when he is played on the last man through the middle. Behind Dack you have Reed and Rothwell, Reed is the holding midfielder and Rothwell is your box to box guy, that will get forward and be positive with the ball. We already have 5 defenders on the park so you don’t need Smallwood in there. The midfielders can look like everyone else’s midfielders for a change, supporting the attack and getting in the box.

Bell and Nyambe have the energy for the wingback spots. Thought they both had good games on Saturday.

At the back I would give Rodwell another go, he played well vs Bolton, and hasn’t played much since. We will be lumping it up to Graham and over the top for Arma anyway, so Rodwell has a decent long pass and is solid in the air. Lenihan and Charlie either side.

Raya

Nyambe          Downing           Mulgrew          Williams

Reed            Rodwell          Travis

Dack           Rothwell

Graham

Subs: Leutwiler, Lenihan, Bell, Evans, Palmer, Armstrong, Nuttall

It's pointless us even attempting to play with any wide men as whoever plays there offers little width, so we had just as well play narrow but with plenty of creativity. The full back can provide the width Rodwell dropping in to to make it a back 3 when they get forward and you will also have plenty of energy and hard work from Reed and Travis. 

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Dack           Rothwell

Graham

It's pointless us even attempting to play with any wide men as whoever plays there offers little width, so we had just as well play narrow but with plenty of creativity. The full back can provide the width Rodwell dropping in to to make it a back 3 when they get forward and you will also have plenty of energy and hard work from Reed and Travis. 

Let's hope Tony's in the Xmas spirit and fancies your Xmas tree formation

23 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Raya

Dack           Rothwell

Graham

Quite like the look of that as an away formation for a refreshing change.

6 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Mogga will be ultra cautious on this one I reckon. 

3-1 Leeds.

When you put it like that it doesn’t really seem worth it! Unless people think that’s better than risking a 5-0 or potentially winning 3-2...? :unsure:

On 23/12/2018 at 10:04, blueboy3333 said:

We'll miss Evans and with no Bennett or Conway again it might mean Rodwell/Rothwell gets a game in MF somewhere. 

I'd try a rigid 4-4-2 and give AA the licence to terrorise their back line with his pace. Dack can have a rest for one game.  

Raya

Nyambe  Lenny  Mulgrew   Bell

Reed Rodwell Smallwood Rothwell

Armstrong Graham

Quite like the idea of Roth n Rod could be interesting.  I maybe talkin out me bum but I would like to see Rithwell a lot more often than we have.  Looks like Palmers days are numbered said it before bit like Rochina, just goes.to show god given talent is not worth so much with out the intelligence and application.  I wonder if there is a bit of the billy big boots about the lad.  Shame to see such potential wasted.

Anyway we have done well at Elland Road in recent times but I think it's more of the same, decent performance, missed chances and gifts for them 3-1 t'bad guys

Don't see us winning any of the next four games and see a high probability of letting in at least four in at least one of them (probably WBA at home).

BUT

We beat Leeds by taking the game to them in front of a large Leeds following at Ewood.

Elland Road crowds can be silenced.

Here's hoping.

Games like the four coming up including today are the benchmark for the manager, the players and to a certain extent, the fans too. I think if we keep our expectations low, work hard and acknowledge our limitations we might head into 2019 with a lot more optimism than if we harbour unrealistic goals for the team.

As someone said further up the page, sod it & let's just go out guns blazing. The worst possible scenario is a vain attempt to 'keep things' tight, because as we have seen at Bristol, Swansea and Nobbend, that just leads to disaster.

Oh come all ye faithful,

Joyful and triumphant

Oh come ye, oh come ye to Elland Road

Go for it Rovers, Blind them with your brilliance

Oh come, let us not bore them

Oh come let us run o'er them

Oh come let us destroy the-em

Migh ighty Blues!

Edited by WIR Second Coming
  • Like 2