BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Norwich 22/12/18

The effort was there from us but the ability, in comparison to Norwich, wasn't. They were a good outfit, every player comfortable on the ball and they put some nice moves together. We don't have that many players comfortable on the ball but they all were.

Both full backs were good today, Bell more like his first game. Nyambe did what he should be doing and is certainly capable of - getting forward and driving past players. Just needs work on his final ball. 

Some of Graham's hold up play was excellent. Dack quiet overall.

Brereton was worryingly poor. If that was an academy player, the feeling would be that they just aren't ready yet, or that they may or may not make it. I know he came on out of position again, but even the basics weren't there.

Another late goal conceded too.....

Also - Rothwell isn't even getting off the bench anymore which is very harsh IMO. There's no way Palmer or Brereton were better choices to come on the wing than him.

Edited by frosty
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

They had a lot of sideways possession in front of our 10 or even 11 men. We didn’t play our normal pressing game (rightly imo as they were mostly better than us one on one) but sat back and looked to play on the break. 

Thanks. Normally I'd say two of our main failings are we don't press but sit off and when we have the ball we indulge in too much sideways and backwards passing but it seems from what everyone says the overall performance wasnt that bad.

A really odd game to watch today. A forgettable first half which should have seen us 1-0 down after 12 minutes but we managed to hold on to 0-0 at HT.

Presumably (I didn’t see anything) an enforced change bringing off Mulgrew for, not Downing (or sub CB) but Williams (our sub LB). Too frequently Mowbray shares appearances around to try to keep everyone happy.

To be fair, we did seem to take the game to Norwich in the second half but never looked like scoring. Dack managed to get clean through and made a half-hearted attempt to play it across the keeper but didn’t get anything behind it.

Palmer coming on for Evans had us scratching our heads and required Reed to move to the centre, for Palmer to go out on the right. Surely Smallwood was the player to come off and Rothwell to come on? Every time I’ve seen Rothwell play he has looked a class above. He must have fallen out with Mowbray over something.

Brereton came on, predictably, for the last 20 minutes, went left, then right, and once again failed to impress. I’m afraid it’s lookimg like he just isn’t good enough. Certainly not for £7m and likely not for a midtable Championship club who need promotion. There must have been a reason he fell down the pecking order at Forest. The price tag is clearly weighing down on him, and he doesn’t have the cockiness of a Dack to shrug it off. Every time he got the ball today he made the wrong decision. I actually feel sorry for the lad, he looks lost and is being asked to play everywhere but lead the line. It’s looking like a failed high-stakes gamble and someone must surely be checking the pre-contract agreement small print. Either that or we will need to write off half of whatever we don’t give to Gillingham for Dack.

Mowbray set out for a 0-0 today and he will probably believe that he nearly hit that target. If that is going to be the approach for these next 3 games it’s going to be difficult to get more than a couple of points - at absolute best. And this is in a division where we regularly see surprising results and hear “anyone can beat anyone in this league”. Well, they can if they don’t have a Bowyer or Mowbray in charge who are so defiantly negative. We don’t see to do surprise results, we always seem to get what we “would have taken before the game” (or just less). It’s not good enough and it’s an extremely negative and insidious mindset to get into.

Given Mowbray’s stubbornness and the length of his contract it’s hard to see what is going to change or who is going to take the fall, and allow him to turn things around. Smallwood isn’t good enough at this level - yet he is TM’s first choice in midfield. Rothwell is a game changer yet can’t get on the pitch ahead of a Chelsea loanee - more contact nonsense? Or does he not want to fall out with Chelsea for fear of being struck off the loan club list? Don’t worry Tony, UEFA are changing the rules so they won’t have as many players signed up in future. We are reliant on Reed in this negative football mindset and he isn’t even our player. Who else can do what he does? Nobody. Dack is out of form and may be leaving but is undroppable - another dangerous situation. Graham is our best player but starting to look knackered again.

We are expected to remain patient and be glad of 21st in a consolidation season but that’s the equivalent of ignoring how a match played out and taking a result on paper - again very negative and accepting of mediocrity. We should be able to aim higher than Mowbray is doing. But if he is to continue to be the man to take us forward then maybe David Lowe is the one to make way and bring in some fresh ideas on the training ground. Perhaps Damien Johnson can step up as first team coach? Perhaps something as drastic as Mark Venus going but I can’t see that either.

We are treading-water-and-tiring under Mowbray. I won’t forgive him if he takes us down from here but equally giving up any ambition and pointing to our recent history as an excuse to temper expectations won’t cut it either.

• Like 7

Very disappointing performance today.

When you see a back 4 of Nyambe, Lenihan, Williams and Bell you know you're in for heart stopping defending.

Armstrong and Dack were invisible, Brereton is beginning to worry me, Palmer should be sent back on Jan 1st if we can.

We never got going at all and the only players of any note were Graham and Reed.

Smallwood is very limited and should not be in before Rothwell and probably Rodwell.

Gonna be a tough couple of weeks on that showing.

I would question the choice of second half replacements. Both Palmer and Brereton loose the ball too easily, and do not seem to put in much effort. At that time I thought that we needed to take a grip of the mid-field. Neither of those two are going to do that.

Overall we played to the best of our ability and Graham was outstanding. Sadly my mind is made up about Brereton. Don't want to see him again. Norwich are good but on another day we could have won. Couple of outstanding saves from Raya was good to see, maybe he had last week on his mind. Ref was poor in first half for not playing advantage and one poor decision when their defender clearly dived.

Reception for Jordan Rhodes was outstanding.

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

There wasn’t a lot else to clap all afternoon. I though it was also a touch of class from Rovers fans to sing Rhodes song and he visibly appreciated it. (I think he was expecting the Danny Graham version).

It was a nice way to show respect for a lad who came here and did the business and was professional until the end. Not many Rovers fans wanted to see him leave and that was evident today.

Agreed. I also enjoyed the aftermath of the Grant Hanley song when a Norwich sub ran to Grant to ask what the Rovers fans had just sung to him and laughed after Hanley explained it.

Later on Ben Marshall ran out to warm up and looked expectantly towards the Blackburn End but received not even a murmur. He cut a desolate figure and I felt sorry for him. I'd have him back on loan actually; right back or wing.

• Like 3

What today proved is that we lack quality. We nullified Norwich for the most part but when it comes to creating we are absolutely gash. Either Dack works a bit of magic or we're stuffed. Which begs the question, what exactly did we commit to spend £10m on in the summer? Mowbray's work in the transfer market was abysmal this summer. The End.

Positives :-

Bell played well.

Reed was excellent. 

Evans was excellent, anyone who says he's L1 standard is frankly an idiot.

Nyambe did well until he got caught out for their goal but it didn't help that Palmer and Brereton offered absolutely no support down the flanks when they came on. 

Raya - one class save in particular.

Williams - thought he did well defensively when he came on

Graham - held it up well. Couldn't do much more.

Negatives:-

BB - Appalling. Doesn't even look like a footballer. Forest must be cocking themselves  laughing. It doesn't help that he isn't a winger. His confidence looks non-existent. 

Palmer - the sooner he goes back the better. An absolute liability.

AA -  Not a winger and doesn't know how to play as a winger.

Mowbray - Playing strikers as wingers doesn't work. Everyone knows it doesn't work. Except Mowbray. We are impotent as a result. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 7

I quite enjoy he game today and thought we would have been decent value for a draw but I thought Mowbray got it wrong today with his changes. We were looking fine and matching Norwich but when Evans went off I just can't fathom why we didn't go like for like with Rodwell. Instead we had a couple of positional changes that we didn't need. Reed was giving us really good width and we were stretching them. It's almost like Mowbray is trying to justify the Brereton signing by bringing him on come what may but today I honestly think the personnel and positional changes cost us.

Reed and Graham were excellent today with our full backs much improved from last week. Dacks body language after the goal worried me with the window opening soon. He looked desperately unhappy with the manner which we conceded. Brereton needs some under 23 football and Mowbray has to swallow his pride and play him there. He is shorn of confidence and his body language tells it's own story.

• Like 4

• Backroom
35 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

EDIT: Clapping Rhodes when 1-0 down in added time was the most embarrassed i’ve been at a football match. What a weird thing to do.

Very proud of our fans for that. Touch of class.

Compare Newcastle who apparently incessantly booed Mitrovic today.

Wait, you froze him out, loaned him a league below, so he joined that club. Wtf are you booing him for?!

Cretins. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

What today proved is that we lack quality. We nullified Norwich for the most part but when it comes to creating we are absolutely gash. Either Dack works a bit of magic or we're stuffed. Which begs the question, what exactly did we commit to spend £10m on in the summer? Mowbray's work in the transfer market was abysmal this summer. The End.

Positives :-

Bell played well.

Reed was excellent. 

Evans was excellent, anyone who says he's L1 standard is frankly an idiot.

Nyambe did well until he got caught out for their goal but it didn't help that Palmer and Brereton offered absolutely no support down the flanks when they came on. 

Raya - one class save in particular.

Williams - thought he did well defensively when he came on

Graham - held it up well. Couldn't do much more.

Negatives:-

BB - Appalling. Doesn't even look like a footballer. Forest must be cocking themselves  laughing. It doesn't help that he isn't a winger. His confidence looks non-existent. 

Palmer - the sooner he goes back the better. An absolute liability.

AA -  Not a winger and doesn't know how to play as a winger.

Mowbray - Playing strikers as wingers doesn't work. Everyone knows it doesn't work. Except Mowbray. We are impotent as a result. 

Would agree with all of that. 

A frustrating day, but when you don't take your chances at this level, you will be punished. It's not league 1.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

I was there mate. They were out on their feet at 75 mins. Norwich fitness took over.

Nyambe should play higher up the pitch in some form.  I'm convinced he can help the attack and we need a right back and a centre back. 

I don't think it was a fitness issue. We just got caught out by a team that has a lot more composure on the ball and better quality. As soon as Palmer and BB came on we were exposed out wide. 

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I quite enjoy he game today and thought we would have been decent value for a draw but I thought Mowbray got it wrong today with his changes. We were looking fine and matching Norwich but when Evans went off I just can't fathom why we didn't go like for like with Rodwell. Instead we had a couple of positional changes that we didn't need. Reed was giving us really good width and we were stretching them. It's almost like Mowbray is trying to justify the Brereton signing by bringing him on come what may but today I honestly think the personnel and positional changes cost us.

Reed and Graham were excellent today with our full backs much improved from last week. Dacks body language after the goal worried me with the window opening soon. He looked desperately unhappy with the manner which we conceded. Brereton needs some under 23 football and Mowbray has to swallow his pride and play him there. He is shorn of confidence and his body language tells it's own story.

I don't blame Dack. For Birminghams second goal last week, he looked to be one of the few who kept his head. He almost nicked it off a guy on midfield before they scored. We have too many panickers; Smallwood and Lenihan in particular. When the pressure is on, the two lads lose the ability to focus and pass the ball accurately. After Dack almost nicked the ball against Birmingham, their players just walked straight through Smallwood. 

And seriously, I know it has been said. What the fuck does Rothwell have to do to play? 

Brereton obviously isn't looking great, but I think that's on Mowbray. He is using him sparingly,which I thought was fair enough, but when it's constantly out of position, all he is doing is knocking the lads confidence. 

A draw would have been a great set up to the Xmas period. Another fucking late goal though. 

• Like 2

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

A frustrating day, but when you don't take your chances at this level, you will be punished. It's not league 1.

True. Williams and Graham both had very good headed chances from corners. We also got in good positions on numerous occasions but the final ball, as always, was lacking. 

Norwich get in a good position and kill us off. 

Frustrating is the word. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

And seriously, I know it has been said. What the fuck does Rothwell have to do to play 

Yes, there were at least 3 situations where BB screwed up, and I'm certain JR would have had a trick to beat someone and make it happen.

Mowbray must see this, so I'm concerned why he's not getting on

• Like 1

Think the formation we play doesn't suit the team and a 4312 would be better

Raya

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Bell

Reed Evans Rothwell

Dack

Graham Brereton/Armstrong

Mainly because we don't have a single winger in the club who can consistently perform at this level. A 5 year younger Conway is exactly what this team needs for more balance. 

Can't stand playing forwards out on the wing as it's deflecting attention from the manager onto the players.

Also from previous seasons Palmer has been a quality player in this league. Why all of a sudden for us does he look league 1 at best? I'm sure he played a major roll in Huddersfield going up?