BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What Needs To Change and Where Do We Go From Here?

4 hours ago, DE. said:

No clean sheet in 9 games now. We've shipped more goals than Wigan, Brentford, Millwall, Reading and Bolton, and the same amount as Rotherham. All of these teams are currently below us. It's very clear that we are a defensive shambles. Mulgrew/Lenihan is not the answer, neither is the pairing of Evans/Smallwood. Not sure any of our full backs are realistically good enough either.

Severe surgery needed long term. Short term bringing in a decent CB and a competent LB (Williams & Bell are both L1 standard) might be enough. 

We're now highlighting the number of goals we are shipping in but we also don't score many! Conclusion, we have weaknesses all over the pitch.

And it isn't simply about replacing individuals with other individuals, its about rethinking the entire set-up. It clearly doesn't work.

Championship clubs have sized us up and are picking us off. that includes Preston and Wigan FFS.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

We're now highlighting the number of goals we are shipping in but we also don't score many! Conclusion, we have weaknesses all over the pitch.

And it isn't simply about replacing individuals with other individuals, its about rethinking the entire set-up. It clearly doesn't work.

Championship clubs have sized us up and are picking us off. that includes Preston and Wigan FFS.

There’s only one way that usually ends.

Mourinho is out of work and may fancy a challenge? ? Seems like the kind of person Venkys would approach.

I assume that's gallows humour Stuart! I agree with Tyrone above who suggested we promote Johnno to first team duties. Mowbray needs help whether he likes it or not.

Its  about assessing our weaknesses and playing a line-up that reflects the players abilities rather than continuing to embrace a method no-one seems to understand or be able to buy into.

We are going backwards fast and we are lacking in self-belief. Its a far cry from the team that started the season.

• Like 1

I’ve been thinking more about how the team has defended this season. Mowbray is right when he says they didn’t loook like conceding until they did today. The worst I can remember our defence was under Coyle and back then we conceded so many clear cut chances throughout games. We would only win or draw games if the opposition missed loads of those chances. Despite agreeing that a new centre back and left back should be a priority, we have actually defended quite well as a team at times this season. However, mistakes are being more punished than our previous seasons in the Championship and we lack on pitch leaders to stop another mistake quickly following. 

11 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

I’ve been thinking more about how the team has defended this season. Mowbray is right when he says they didn’t loook like conceding until they did today. The worst I can remember our defence was under Coyle and back then we conceded so many clear cut chances throughout games. We would only win or draw games if the opposition missed loads of those chances. Despite agreeing that a new centre back and left back should be a priority, we have actually defended quite well as a team at times this season. However, mistakes are being more punished than our previous seasons in the Championship and we lack on pitch leaders to stop another mistake quickly following. 

Not quite sure what games you have been watching but we have been gifting teams good chances all season. Got away with it to an extent at the start, derby springs to mind but teams aren’t always going to be that charitable and it’s showing now 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not quite sure what games you have been watching but we have been gifting teams good chances all season. Got away with it to an extent at the start, derby springs to mind but teams aren’t always going to be that charitable and it’s showing now 

Derby and Wigan are the games where we gifted the most chances to the opposition in my mind and really did defend terribly throughout. A big part of defending is obviously being switched on for the whole game and we have been punished because we haven’t been but we haven’t been conceding chances every time the opposition attack like I can remember under Kean, Coyle and at times Hodgson. I notice Lenihan for example make a lot of good defensive interventions during games before he inevitably switches off and costs us points.

21 minutes ago, all you need is duff said:

Derby and Wigan are the games where we gifted the most chances to the opposition in my mind and really did defend terribly throughout. A big part of defending is obviously being switched on for the whole game and we have been punished because we haven’t been but we haven’t been conceding chances every time the opposition attack like I can remember under Kean, Coyle and at times Hodgson. I notice Lenihan for example make a lot of good defensive interventions during games before he inevitably switches off and costs us points.

You must be watching a different team to me and you are certainly watching a different Lenihan. We've conceded one more goal than we had at the same time under Coyle but its hardly surprising as it is the same players apart from Bell when he plays but he's probably the worst defender of the lot. When we went down we lost 5 games by more than one goal, it's 6 already this season. Also when we went down we conceded more than 2 goals a game 7 times we have already conceded more than 2 a game 6 times this season. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

The bit highlighted by Sharpe in the LT in regards to the defence almost being identical to that which contributed to taking us down from this level last time speaks absolute volumes. Add in one of the same defensive mids who's been at the club years but only been consistent in one season -in lge 1- and the other almost the same as the previous one, all this leading to a same style of play is it really any wonder the same old problems occur virtually every week ?

It was glaring everyone in the face and sadly the renewed team spirit and bit of feel good factor only covered it up very briefly so like ringworm it's back to stay unless aggressively treated.  Why oh why when fans constantly highlighted this even last season did the management do naff all about it except bring in a bit of back up for the level we were at then ?

It's a bit amateur to be honest or at least very naïve by people who've been in the game a long time.

• Like 1

I just can’t fathom the handing out of new contract plethora that has been going on this year. Bennett, Conway, Smallwood, Lenihan and Evans. (To a lesser extent,  Dack when he has plenty of time left on his previous deal.) Those 5 guys are not top half championship material, so what’s the target here. 

Is Mowbray just so loaded with money he can reward his favorites?

Moving forward, couple of things I would do.

1) Smallwood is out for me. Don’t play him after suspension unless there are serious injury problems. Not good enough.

2) Bell is first choice at left back until we can get a better one, Williams is on the bench, period.

3) Play Rothwell and Palmer more, with Dack. We actually did well in that area for the first time in months. Palmer I thought was maybe our best player up until he got hooked for god knows what reason. Rothwell will give it away more but he will make things happen. He glides with the ball and causes problems cutting inside. He needs to be in there to link with Dack. He and palmer linked up well to set up Brereton for his..um...shot.

4) Armstrong to the bench, and weight room.

5) Give Rodwell another go at centre back. 

6) Consider formation change. 4-2-3-1 is not working with our personnel right now, we can’t keep a hold of the ball up top and it’s inviting pressure. 

7) Have a peak at the young lads that’ Johnson has.

I really do think Dack is away next week, I just don’t see his camaraderie coming through anymore. Strong chance that  something may already be arranged. I think if you get 17m your laughing. Spend half in January, and use rest to strengthen in the summer.

Shopping List:

New Centre Half

Suggestions:

Efe Ambrose(Hibs) - Contract up in summer, their best player. Been interested before. Tony knows him.

Patrick Bauer(Charlton)- He is big and he plays centre half, what else do you need?

Grant Hanley(Norwich)-Someone mentioned he could go out on loan. Would be first name on the team sheet.

New Left Back

Suggestions:

Brian Oviedo(Sunderland) - 40k a week, if they don’t sell him, would they consider a loan?

Giorgos Kyriakopouos (Asteris Tripolis) - My guy, watched him closely over two legs vs Hibs in the Euro Cup. Outstanding left back, best player on the pitch both games.

Centre Midfielder

Suggestions:

Joe Aribo(Charlton) - Assuming Dack leaves, and Smallwood is ostracized like he should be, we could use another centre midfielder. Aribo is also out of contract in the summer, and could fancy the step up.

Winger

Suggestions:

Oil Burke(West Brom) - Not getting a game at the minute but is an out and out Right Winger, crying out for one. Thinking if Dack is interesting West Brom, could be used in a cash plus Burke deal, or at least a loan.

Harry Chapman(Boro) - Bring the boy home, wont be expensive.

Jordan Jones(Kilmarnock) - Out of contract in the summer, silky left winger, one of the best players in Scotland.

Marcus Maddison(Peterborough) - Maybe the price is more reasonable now. Destroying league one again. Naturally left winger with a cracking cross on him.

Striker

Suggestions:

Alexander Sorloth(Palace) - Massive target man, not getting a sniff at Palace, looks set to join someone in the championship. 

Lucas Joao(Sheff Wed) - Have to mention him everytime. Strange time at Sheff wed, they play him for a few weeks then he is out again, they have way too many strikers over there.

Sam Gallagher(Southampton) - he will be available on loan. 

In’s:

Sørloth 3m

Bauer 500k

Aribo 1m

Chapman 350k

Burke Loan/Part Exchange - Option to buy

Kyriakopolous 2m

Out

Dack to West Brom 16.5m plus Burke

Tomlinson sold

Williams Sold

Nutall loan

Smallwood out of you can

Might be a shitty plan but thats something like what I would try to do this January. Mowbray loves a player with an expiring contract in a cut price deal. Keep Palmer. 

Signing two wingers gives us the option to go 4-4-2 at home with Sorloth and Graham up top. Lump it up I don’t care, better than these boring passes across the back line which is what’s going on now. Rothwell is Dacks replacement and if not Palmer can play the AMC in 4-2-3-1. 

Edited by Fraserkirky
Tyrone reminded me of Conway

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You forgot to add Conway to the list of controversial new contracts.

Thanks. Maybe the most controversial, especially as it was before his Pre-Birmingham reincarnation appearance.

Edited by Fraserkirky