BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield United vs Blackburn Rovers: 29th December 2018

• J*B pinned this topic

We won't let a lead slip here because we won't get one, this is one i'd expect us to struggle in even if we'd won three on the bounce. We can't cope with physical sides so i'd be tempted to go and try to get a shut out, ten behind the ball start to finish.,, 0-0.  Mowbray has his teams caught between being a good counter attacking side or a non attack keep ball punt it forwards and hope style but with a formation set to counter. He needs to go one way or the other imo.

Blades  2 Rovers  0

Great preview. Did you sink the houseboat?

I have already foolishly said I wouldn't be surprised if we win this one. 

OK Mogga, I have defended you on these boards so please don't let us get played off the park like we were at Ewood.

Their record to date is W12 D5 L7 so they obviously include a few off days in their bag of fancy tricks. And they have only scored two more than we have let in....  

Good preview!

Not a chance on Saturday.

We will concede at least 2 goals.

Our fitness levels are increasingly worrying and it will be no surprise to me if it looks like our 7th game in 7 days!

Bookies fancy us to take a pasting.  Best you can get on 4-1 is 25/1.  Gone for United at 11/17 and a couple of fun bets on 3-1 at 12/1 and 4-1 at 25/1. 

Edited by Mercer

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

Good Andre Preview. 

Who are these two beautifully coiffured young studs who also played for both clubs?

Image result for kevin arnott footballerSee the source image

Arnott and Speight ?

Wish we had those two lads now in our midfield now.

Skillful lad Arnott and Speight was blood and thunder.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, philipl said:

Great preview. Did you sink the houseboat?

I have already foolishly said I wouldn't be surprised if we win this one. 

OK Mogga, I have defended you on these boards so please don't let us get played off the park like we were at Ewood.

Their record to date is W12 D5 L7 so they obviously include a few off days in their bag of fancy tricks. And they have only scored two more than we have let in....  

There's no proof!

I agree about the game. I'll take a performance exactly like the first 91 minutes vs. Leeds as second half I thought we were good value for at least a point.

Expect a few goals though.

Would drop Rodwell as I'm not a fan of his languid style, hopefully have Benno back for his spirit.

Didn't Tony Field, Terry Garbett and David Bradford follow Ken Furphy over the hill to Sheffield ?

Regarding the game we've regressed to the point were we don't know our best 11again  and we have no really noticeable method of getting the ball from our box to their box on a regular basis.

I think we'll struggle but I'll consider it a success if we manage to play out the last ten minutes or so with the ball more in their half than ours. When you have all your players back in the last third you'll struggle no matter what level you're playing at. It's as simple as that really.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Didn't Tony Field, Terry Garbett and David Bradford follow Ken Furphy over the hill to Sheffield ?

Regarding the game we've regressed to the point were we don't know our best 11again  and we have no really noticeable method of getting the ball from our box to their box on a regular basis.

I think we'll struggle but I'll consider it a success if we manage to play out the last ten minutes or so with the ball more in their half than ours. When you have all your players back in the last third you'll struggle no matter what level your playing at. It's as simple as that really.

Almost as bad a day as when we sold Keith Newton. Whodathunk we’d be promoted 15 months later with Beamo up front!

Hilarious preview. It’s neck and neck between us and Man City as to who can avoid losing three on the bounce. Time the Dackster won us a game against better opponents.

Very good preview. Thanks.

I fear a thumping. SU will go for the throat. At home to Leeds we had low possession and a poor pass completion rate, I read somewhere it was 57% but that probably includes hoofballs to head, chest and arse.

SU 4 Rovers 2

2 for us as we have Charlie, Dack or Graham are due one and their keeper is dodgy.

I hope Williams avoids scoring such a perfect goal as he did v Leeds.

Thanks for the preview, which made me chuckle. I have not so fond memories of Sheff U from the 70s, including a short stay in the police cells in Manchester following an away day train trip that went wrong (3-1 to the Blades I think), and losing a scarf to a mob on Livesey Branch Road after another mauling at home to the Yorkshire hordes. 

For Saturday, I can't see anything other than another galling defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. Something seems to have snapped in this squad, and despite the obvious shortcomings of a basically League 1 playing staff, I think we've been found out by the opposition at this level. Time to change things up somehow (as per other thread) and look to charge into 2019 with a renewed optimism and realism - we aren't going to challenge for honours this year, or even be close, but I do hope we don't plummet into doom gloom and despondency and a feeling that we can't win anymore.

I'm expecting 3 or 4 goals for the Blades to be honest, with at best a late consolation once they'e put the game to bed. I dearly hope the Rovers pull a rabbit from the hat and come away with a point or three, but I shan't lose any sleep if we don't. I think we'd do better if we played in Blue and White, rather than that awful yellow big bird outfit that telegraphs our players' positions on the field much better than GoogleMaps could ever do..

COYB! 

2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Thanks for the preview, which made me chuckle. I have not so fond memories of Sheff U from the 70s, including a short stay in the police cells in Manchester following an away day train trip that went wrong (3-1 to the Blades I think), and losing a scarf to a mob on Livesey Branch Road after another mauling at home to the Yorkshire hordes. 

For Saturday, I can't see anything other than another galling defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. Something seems to have snapped in this squad, and despite the obvious shortcomings of a basically League 1 playing staff, I think we've been found out by the opposition at this level. Time to change things up somehow (as per other thread) and look to charge into 2019 with a renewed optimism and realism - we aren't going to challenge for honours this year, or even be close, but I do hope we don't plummet into doom gloom and despondency and a feeling that we can't win anymore.

I'm expecting 3 or 4 goals for the Blades to be honest, with at best a late consolation once they'e put the game to bed. I dearly hope the Rovers pull a rabbit from the hat and come away with a point or three, but I shan't lose any sleep if we don't. I think we'd do better if we played in Blue and White, rather than that awful yellow big bird outfit that telegraphs our players' positions on the field much better than GoogleMaps could ever do..

COYB! 

I agree about the away kit, it's bloody awful. They play in red and white, why can't we play in our usual strip ?

18 hours ago, Mercer said:

Good preview!

Not a chance on Saturday.

We will concede at least 2 goals.

Our fitness levels are increasingly worrying and it will be no surprise to me if it looks like our 7th game in 7 days!

Bookies fancy us to take a pasting.  Best you can get on 4-1 is 25/1.  Gone for United at 11/17 and a couple of fun bets on 3-1 at 12/1 and 4-1 at 25/1. 

If you're looking to make money, put on 4 or more goals to be scored in any rovers game. Happened 14 out of 26 games in all competitions this season with Rovers, just under 54% of games, you'll make more money than you lose.

14 minutes ago, AAK said:

If you're looking to make money, put on 4 or more goals to be scored in any rovers game. Happened 14 out of 26 games in all competitions this season with Rovers, just under 54% of games, you'll make more money than you lose.

Look and learn @Mercer. That losing streak has to come to an end sometime. Keep the faith!

It's gone to the stage where if I checked the score at half time and we were winning 4-0, I wouldnt be sure we would win. Im not actually joking. We would need to score the first after half time to finish the game off. That's a bit crazy. 

Some mental failing has infected the team. I saw in Mulgrews interview after the Leeds game that he knows it. I would love to hear Mulgrew speak honestly about who he would want out of the team. It would be fascinating. 

Whilst we all talk about Dack, if you took Mulgrew out of that team , I reckon we would struggle big time. Too many lads that can't keep their heads under pressure. It's worrying at this time of the season. 

Lenihan, Williams and Smallwood are the main offenders. 

Then you have a lad Like Armstrong starting, who would be one of the last players I would want in a fight. What Mowbray sees in him, I just don't know. 

I think the 4 of them need to be removed from the starting 11. Get Downing, Bell, Rodwell and Rothwell in for now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's gone to the stage where if I checked the score at half time and we were winning 4-0, I wouldnt be sure we would win. Im not actually joking. We would need to score the first after half time to finish the game off. That's a bit crazy. 

Some mental failing has infected the team. I saw in Mulgrews interview after the Leeds game that he knows it. I would love to hear Mulgrew speak honestly about who he would want out of the team. It would be fascinating. 

Whilst we all talk about Dack, if you took Mulgrew out of that team , I reckon we would struggle big time. Too many lads that can't keep their heads under pressure. It's worrying at this time of the season. 

Then you have a lad Like Armstrong starting, who would be one of the last players I would want in a fight. What Mowbray sees in him, I just don't know. 

I think the 4 of them need to be removed from the starting 11. Get Downing, Bell, Rodwell and Rothwell in for now. 

I think that is fair comment. If the manager thinks they have something to contribute, let them do it from the bench if there appears to be a need for their input. Otherwise stiffen up the backbone of the team, work harder in training on fitness and mental stamina over 90 mins, and man up for fecks sake Rovers!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Bell? He's probably the player I'd least want in fight of our squad. Look at the winning goal lazily just dangling a leg out to try and stop the cross (and certainly not for the first time this season), everything that he does on the pitch looks half hearted.

• Like 2