BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield United vs Blackburn Rovers: 29th December 2018

Worrying thing for me a couple of months ago was that we failed to beat 3 very poor teams at home, Reading, Millwall and Rotherham, coupled with failing to beat the worst side in the division Ipswich, thankfully we just managed to beat Bolton, JUST. I felt these might come back to bite us and if this run continues they really will. a 4 point return from Millwall, Rotherham and Reading at home, with Ipswich away is poor.

Edited by AAK

20 minutes ago, Rogerb said:

Despite the poor run over the last nine games. Ipswich Reading Rotherham and Notlob are no closer than they were nine games ago. When those four are closing the gap then the alarm bells will be reaching a crescendo.

All teams bar Bolton (just) who we failed to beat.

That game should have been at the very least a point for us and possibly three. The sending off of Basham should have really given us an advantage as Sheffield put men behind the ball and didn't show much inclination to attack and then came the real game changer when Smallwood got himself sent off in the most stupid manner imaginable. The momentum then swung their way, gave the crowd a lift and shook our players. After Travis was sent off at Portsmouth last season he was pretty much ostracised by Mowbray for the rest of the season. My anger towards Smallwood now tells me that half a season without him will not be long enough if Mowbray is consistent. Absolutely brainless from a player who punches above his weight and is lucky to be playing Championship football at a great club like ours. 

A special mention today to the Rovers 'fans' who abused the Sheffield goalkeeper in a filthy and disgusting manner. I saw three separate objects thrown at him too. And it wasn't just a few neither.

Another bad day for us and we are seeing too many of these. The buck stops with the manager who needs to stop the rot quickly. Has he got the wherewithal to do that? Personally I have my doubts.

• Like 6

Henderson has form with Rovers fans, regrettable but predictable.

I wonder why Mowbray has never handled Travis or one or two youngsters like he handles Brereton ?  The 7 million or the fact one or two in the Rovers comfort zone are unreplacable for some unfathomable reason ?

He really needs to step away from pecking order he's created and select and leave in players on merit not just because he deems them seniority or they got us promoted last season.  He did that today quite a bit for the first time ever and it actually worked quite well but the same old same old cock up by the same supposedly reliable normally first choicers undid us. There should be some pennies dropping I'm Mogga land now although he's rewarded them all with probably the best contracts they've ever had so hard to justify asking for more money to pay to replace them, he's created his own catch 22 perhaps.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

I can't quote for some reason on my phone but the person that mentioned downing .. speaking of downing I can't remember him having a bad game?  He always comes in and does a good job.  For me he would replace lehihan who is shocking right now. I would place Rodwell in the centre with reed .  Then the rest of the squad is up for grabs 

........................Raya...................

Nyambe..downing..mulgrew..(new)..

..(new).....reed......Rodwell....(new)..

..,..............rothwell...........

.....................(new)............

I would want a new CB too.. so striker CB two wide men and a left back. Move on one of bell or Williams . Keep Travis around for the right back/ centre mid competition.  Dack I've never liked so if we can fetch a price for him then yes please and use it to strengthen. 

You've never liked a player who regularly gets a goal every other game and many assists? And no mention of our other goalscorer amidst a team devoid of creativity?

And I'm guessing you didnt go today if Rothwell is his replacement. 

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

One thing that looked apparent today was that if Reed is out best central midfielder by some margin then Travis is the second best by some margin. How he hasn't featured before now is beyond me and he'll probably get dropped for the next game as well.

Agreed. I had him as our best player

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Henderson has form with Rovers fans, regrettable but predictable.

I wonder why Mowbray has never handled Travis or one or two youngsters like he handles Brereton ?  The 7 million or the fact one or two in the Rovers comfort zone are unreplacable for some unfathomable reason ?

He really needs to step away from pecking order he's created and select and leave in players on merit not just because he deems them seniority or they got us promoted last season.  He did that today quite a bit for the first time ever and it actually worked quite well but the same old same old cock up by the same supposedly reliable normally first choicers undid us. There should be some pennies dropping I'm Mogga land now although he's rewarded them all with probably the best contracts they've ever had so hard to justify asking for more money to pay to replace them, he's created his own catch 22 perhaps.

I'm aware of the history but today some Rovers fans took crudity to a whole new level.

When Travis got sent off for a stupid challenge, Mowbray dropped him like a ton of bricks for months, which in my opinion was harsh considering he is young and was looking decent. 

It will be interesting to see whether he does the same with Smallwood. I think I know the answer. 

• Like 7

Absolute crap yet again, its easy to have team spirit beating shite like Rochdale, Fleetwood and MK Dons but the mere sniff of a setback and we fold like a deck of cards.

Amazed to see so much praise pre-match for the team selection, I had my head in my hands when I saw it en route to the game. To have our only 2 goal threats (aside from our set piece taking centre back) on the bench is more madness than brave.

His subs again were very poor. Dack up front does not work, to do it whilst a man to the advantage was totally bizarre with Graham on the bench. Einstein had it bang on; the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Palmer was also our best attacking player so to take him off was very strange.

Bennett is never a right back, as was already apparent, Williams isnt a footballer and god knows what has happened to Lenihan.

Rothwell gave the ball away more often than I remember anyone else doing in recent history. He was shocking and often a liability in silly areas.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, toogs said:

When Travis got sent off for a stupid challenge, Mowbray dropped him like a ton of bricks for months, which in my opinion was harsh considering he is young and was looking decent. 

It will be interesting to see whether he does the same with Smallwood. I think I know the answer. 

Because Smallwood is a "yes sir, no sir" kind of fella, he's crap and he knows it, so makes himself a fav to stay in the side, only explanation for it, because he is one atrocious football participant (not using player).

Oh dear. I hear on the useless and completely unreliable grapevine that Big Tony has orchestrated the last few games capitulations in order to justify the need for shelling out on a decent kick ye up the arse centre back with come and get me captain credentials. 

I suppose there are easier ways to make your point that somethings gotta change, but this confirms for me the notion that Sir Tony of Mowbray isn't quite the sharpest knife in the managerial drawer.

I'd say we're one good striker from being a good team personally on paper. If Venkys have the cash I'd write Brereton off and go out and buy a top striker. It's the only area we are seriously deficient.

Simple as that id say. A winger also if possible. But we're not too bad. All the other comments are jumping off the deep end after a run of poor results.

The losing goals late is a mentality thing which a decent manger should sort out. Hopefully Mowbray will do that. If not sadly we need to swap him out 

56 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

One thing that looked apparent today was that if Reed is out best central midfielder by some margin then Travis is the second best by some margin. How he hasn't featured before now is beyond me and he'll probably get dropped for the next game as well.

This is where I have been frustrated with Mowbray for some time. He doesn’t put any faith in certain players. Travis and Rothwell being two major examples. It would be a huge boost to others, like Butterworth, Mols, even Nuttall if they could see someone like Trav make it.

Also, I was wrong earlier about Travis. I didn’t think he would play again. Very glad that he has but I fear he will still end up on loan. Hope not because he could become a good player for the first team and a fan favourite.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stuart said:

This is where I have been frustrated with Mowbray for some time. He doesn’t put any faith in certain players. Travis and Rothwell being two major examples. It would be a huge boost to others, like Butterworth, Mols, even Nuttall if they could see someone like Trav make it.

Also, I was wrong earlier about Travis. I didn’t think he would play again. Very glad that he has but I fear he will still end up on loan. Hope not because he could become a good player for the first team and a fan favourite.

It was the same with Bowyer, he never trusted youth which is why O'Connell lined up for them today. Let's hope Travis and others don't feel the need to follow his path.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

It was the same with Bowyer, he never trusted youth which is why O'Connell lined up for them today. Let's hope Travis and others don't feel the need to follow his path.

and why Mahoney left..................

Scandalous.

3 hours ago, Tom Stinny said:

I said well done to the manager before the game started because of the team he picked. It was something different and it was refreshing. 

That said though to say the managers subs weren't an issue isn't really truthful. Why not bring Danny Graham on for Brereton or even leave both on and go for the win? Instead he brought an advanced midfielder on and a player in Armstrong who no one knows where to play him?

It doesn't make sense. An experienced target man to play into once 10 vs 11 was exactly what was needed.

I thought Graham and Dack should have been brought on as soon as they went down to 10. Instead TM dithered for ten minutes and let them organise themselves, whilst we sat back and let them. Then all bets where off with that stupid challenge by Smallwood. One positive from the game, Smallwood will be banned for three games.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

I'd say we're one good striker from being a good team personally on paper. If Venkys have the cash I'd write Brereton off and go out and buy a top striker. It's the only area we are seriously deficient.

Simple as that id say. A winger also if possible. But we're not too bad. All the other comments are jumping off the deep end after a run of poor results.

The losing goals late is a mentality thing which a decent manger should sort out. Hopefully Mowbray will do that. If not sadly we need to swap him out 

A top striker is not going to solve the fact we have one defender who is consistently good enough for this division and even he had a stinker today. There’s a lot of quality that needs too be added across the pitch before we can compete in this division. Two wingers, a centre back, a striker and a left back are all needed. If we can’t get Reed on a perm we’ll need to replace him too. Never mind if Dack goes.. Next summer is going to be very interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Butty said:

Two wingers, a centre back, a striker and a left back are all needed. If we can’t get Reed on a perm we’ll need to replace him too. Never mind if Dack goes.. Next summer is going to be very interesting. 

So basically we still need everything that we needed in the summer. And you can add a right back to that list as well.

The last 3 games I've attended were at Preston, Wigan and Sheffield Utd. I've seen us concede 10 goals in those 3 games and the reaction by the players to each goal has been the same - look down at your boots and shrug your shoulders.

Not once have I seen cross words between players, encouragement for each other, pointing fingers, no discussion about what went wrong, no communication of any sort. Just  no fight at all in this team. I think they have inherited Mowbray's 'this is where we are' attitude. The team is spineless and leaderless.

I think we showed in the first hour today that there is ability in the side - Palmer was good, Reed and Travis both busy. Rothwell seems to be more bluster than end product and that dive was a disgrace. I didn't see any real threat from Brereton at all I'm afraid.

But the overriding  worry I have is that this team is beginning to accept these heavy defeats as par for the course. The attitude in the last few weeks has been as bad as anything since we were relegated from the Premiership.  I don't see any confidence returning to this side without a big change in personnel or a change of manager.

I don't think we will go down but we can't plod along like this into next season. 

• Like 6