BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield United vs Blackburn Rovers: 29th December 2018

16 hours ago, K-Hod said:

For me, Smallwood has looked out of his depth for most of this season and some of last, whereas Evans has been one of our better players. It’s   amazing how views can differ. 

Totally agree K-Hod.  I think Evans has been one of our better performers this season and looks very comfortable at this level.  Smallwood offers high energy whereas I think Evans is a better reader of the game.  I can see why Mowbray likes them together in midfield although I think a Reed/Evans combination would offer more in terms of attacking value.

It will be interesting to see the selection today as Sheffield looked very good at Ewood earlier in the season.  I'd be delighted with a point today no matter how we play.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Nyambe and Bennett missing so LT saying it could be three at the back, with Reed or Travis at RWB. 

For me it has to be Travis to free Reed up to play further forward. The way that Sheffield play as the wide players in the back three bomb forward needs our full backs and wide midfielders to work together. I worry about the left if Mowbray plays Bell and Williams together again.

21 minutes ago, arbitro said:

For me it has to be Travis to free Reed up to play further forward. The way that Sheffield play as the wide players in the back three bomb forward needs our full backs and wide midfielders to work together. I worry about the left if Mowbray plays Bell and Williams together again.

Don’t disagree but Travis hasn’t even been in the squad for the last four matches.

18 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Agree with Travis, I've liked the look of him on the odd occasion he gets a chance.

Our left back situation is awful, I've previously advocated Conway having a go as surely he couldn't be any worse and could prolong his career if he was any good.

For what it's worth, my team -

Raya

Travis  Lenihan  Mulgrew   Conway

Reed  Evans  Rodwell Rothwell

Dack

Graham

Do we not have any young academy lads who are natural left or right fallbacks? 

Team I think he will pick

Raya

Lenihan Mulgrew Williams 

Reed Evans Rodwell Bell 

Dack Armstrong 

Graham 

That team won't win though as we can keep relying on a Mulgrew set piece or individual play from Graham and Dack. Armstrong might as well be in the crowd with the fans at the moment as well.

6 minutes ago, Doug said:

Agree with Travis, I've liked the look of him on the odd occasion he gets a chance.

Our left back situation is awful, I've previously advocated Conway having a go as surely he couldn't be any worse and could prolong his career if he was any good.

For what it's worth, my team -

Raya

Travis  Lenihan  Mulgrew   Conway

Reed  Evans  Rodwell Rothwell

Dack

Graham

Gut feeling but I don’t think we’ll see Travis in a Rovers shirt for some time - if ever. A January loan would be my guess.

Travis sums up Mowbray’s recruitment policy for me. He could have been in the role now taken by Reed, busy/hungry centre midfielder more than capable of covering at right back. Mowbray went out and loaned one. Don’t get me wrong I think that Reed looks a great player but, one, he’s not our player and, two, given a regular opportunity, Travis could have become just as good in my opinion.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He travelled to Leeds and took part in the pre-match warm-up which suggests he is still part of the match day squad.

I guess we’ll see. Hope I’m wrong and if Reed does go back Lewis will get his chance.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Don’t disagree but Travis hasn’t even been in the squad for the last four matches.

He was at Leeds sat in front of us presumably having travelled as nineteenth man. Playing Reed as a right back is an absolute waste for me. His energy, drive and work rate would be far better served higher up the pitch in my opinion.

• Like 1

Redeemining factor of today could be that the three teams that could leapfrog us have tough games too.

But this is the Championship. We don't seem ready for this at all so I'm going for an easy 2-0 to Rovers playing with 10 men for the last 30 minutes. Rodwell and Evans on the scoresheet.

Edited by CD_93

On 28/12/2018 at 09:22, WIR Second Coming said:

I have not so fond memories of Sheff U from the 70s, including a short stay in the police cells in Manchester following an away day train trip that went wrong (3-1 to the Blades I think)

Ah ...I'd forgotten about that  !

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Nyambe and Bennett missing so LT saying it could be three at the back, with Reed or Travis at RWB. 

Why does losing our first choice right back necessitate a return to the dreaded three at the back ? We have replacement right backs on the books. Is Conway injured again ? He seems to have gone missing.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Why does losing our first choice right back necessitate a return to the dreaded three at the back ? We have replacement right backs on the books. Is Conway injured again ? He seems to have gone missing.

Conway is injured. Thigh strain.

I can only think of Travis and Lenihan who have played at right back? From what I've seen of Travis he's a better midfielder. 

Raya

Nyambe - Mulgrew - Lenihan - Bell

Reed - Rodwell - Evans

Dack - Rothwell

Graham

Festive Christmas Tree formation (Sheff Utd play with wing backs so probably not the best match to go narrow, though we have no natural wide players)......in all seriousness. I'd like Dack and Rothwell to play together and Reed central. Defence is a worry that's for sure. Can't see us keeping a clean sheet here.

22 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I committed to going a few weeks ago and dearly wish I wasn't. It's getting pretty soul destroying wasting your time and money watching anti football only to see us lose or on the occasions we do manage to crab a lead courtesy of a free kick or penalty carelessly toss it away.

How do you manage with such a rosy outlook on things Rev.  Look on the bright side at least yiu won't get chased about 3 miles like I did at Bramhall in the late seventies.  Made my escape ducking in a paper shop.  Just my luck to find hooligans who were both determined and cross country runners to boot.

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

How do you manage with such a rosy outlook on things Rev.  Look on the bright side at least yiu won't get chased about 3 miles like I did at Bramhall in the late seventies.  Made my escape ducking in a paper shop.  Just my luck to find hooligans who were both determined and cross country runners to boot.

Lol. On the away travel now about 25 mins away. Beautiful sunny day. What could possibly go wrong?

My mates reckon they've cracked it. Leave on 80 mins, go home happy and don't check the results for a week.

3 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

I like Travis, no doubt he if could out in a world class performance today and he would still be dropped next game.

10 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Lol. On the away travel now about 25 mins away. Beautiful sunny day. What could possibly go wrong?

My mates reckon they've cracked it. Leave on 80 mins, go home happy and don't check the results for a week.

Sounds like a solid plan.  Still g>tted about Leeds.  Made it even worse watching the highlights and our lads celebrating Charlie's 2nd knowing what was coming.  That shit hurts.

How I would like to see us line up despite having no real wingers and no true centre backs. I’d be looking to recruit both in January.

6A255D01-70D9-455D-862F-3F8FF3561A6A.thumb.jpeg.bb1a8641b17cd7fb97689ca2d1a5a4cc.jpeg

Tough call leaving out Evans but I’d be bringing him on to shore things up later, preferring Rothwell to dictate our play from a deep role. Alternative would have been to accommodate him by pushing Reed out on the right but I feel Reed is better centrally. I’d also have considered Williams instead of Bell but I think Williams is far more error prone.

How I think Mowbray will line up:

2E85D73D-5354-4867-B997-D69D5ED6CD86.thumb.jpeg.3798527c3550c03b35ee2f2255089a65.jpeg