BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

I think Mowbray’s treatment of this lad has been down right disgusting. His performance yesterday has left a bitter taste in my mouth. How can a young lad who has come through the ranks, and is clearly good enough to be (at least) our first sub every week, be banished from the picture for 6+ months? Especially when those keeping him out (i.e. Mowbray’s pal Smallwood) have been horrific in the main. Travis has only put one foot wrong in his career so far (the red away at Portsmouth, which didn’t actually cost us points), and he’s looked the part every time he’s put on a Rovers shirt apart from that, for a 20 year old that’s pretty good going. I fear that we’re going to lose him and he’ll inevitably go on to have a very successful career elsewhere, and I wouldn’t blame him one iota if he wanted out. We’ll miss him more than he’ll miss us. 

• Like 4

He'll go on loan in January, should have happened in the summer. Now it's the wrong time and he should really be pushing the likes of Smallwood for a place. Hopefully pushing him out of a place entirely.

If Smallwood is banned for 3 games, it should open the door for Travis but I doubt it will do.

Edited by davulsukur

• Moderation Lead

I’ve got the same fears with this lad. Every single time I’ve seen him play he’s looked better than Smallwood, who continues to play instead of him.

It would be absolutely sickening if we ended up losing him because we won’t give him enough game time.

• Like 2

The treatment of a lot of our prospects has left quite a bit to be desired if there is a so called path to the first team at Ewood meant to be there. Rumours of head banging against the wall as to why some of our very good U23's team didn't get much of a sniff last season in league 1.

Going down the Jal route but maybe some of them aren't with the right handlers.......

• Backroom

He looks to have all the tools and potential to be great, at times I’ve thought his decision making to be suspect but that’s to be expected and something that comes in time.

I do wonder if there was an attitude issue that Mowbray wanted to sort out. I seem to recall he was given some time off after the transfer window closed but in fairness him being disappointed not to get a loan move to play football is the attitude you would want imo! 

Part of me wonders if Tony and his slightly old school ways means he doesn’t appreciate some of the ways of today’s youth, it was a throw away comment but I remember being a bit taken aback at the supporters meeting back in June when he said he dismissed a good player as a target when he came to his office wearing ripped jeans, a cap and had tattoos up his arms

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

He looks to have all the tools and potential to be great, at times I’ve thought his decision making to be suspect but that’s to be expected and something that comes in time.

I do wonder if there was an attitude issue that Mowbray wanted to sort out. I seem to recall he was given some time off after the transfer window closed but in fairness him being disappointed not to get a loan move to play football is the attitude you would want imo! 

Part of me wonders if Tony and his slightly old school ways means he doesn’t appreciate some of the ways of today’s youth, it was a throw away comment but I remember being a bit taken aback at the supporters meeting back in June when he said he dismissed a good player as a target when he came to his office wearing ripped jeans, a cap and had tattoos up his arms

Think that was the lad from Walsall who went to Bolton. Outzemer or something like that. Not pulling up many trees there.

He shouldn't be on loan. He should be starting in the middle and getting experience. He has all the qualities to make a good player for us at this level. He offers no less than what we already have on the field every week. 

Get him in the team and let him flourish.

• Like 2

Mowbray's treatment of him as been very shabby. Last season he was practically ostracised from the team for one bad foul that in the end didn't  cost us any points. This season he has barely played, rarely been on the bench and most of the time followed the squad around as a spare man in matchday squads. If he wasn't going to be used he should have been sent out on loan to play games and continue his development. 

In my opinion Travis is a real talent who for me is already better than Evans and Smallwood. He work rate is second to none, he gets stuck in but he is also composed on the ball, a good passer and not afraid to run with the ball.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

He should do, but ive seen enough of Tonys selections to tell me he wont. I expect Travis, Palmer, Rothwell & Brereton to all bebout of the starting lineup come Tuesday.

Resting his favourites and better players for his former club in what he views as a more important game?

Starting him at the weekend , just to loan him out in January would make no sense. Not saying it won't happen, just it would be illogical. He comes in and is our best player, THEREFORE START HIM AGAIN. It's not rocket science. 

What motivation do the young lads have otherwise? You come in, be the best player, but it makes no difference. 

I will judge Mowbray harshly if he let's Travis leave on loan. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

The thing is that he’s a perfect player to have on your bench, can play 3/4 positions, fit, quick, solid defensively, absolute joke that he’s not been in the squad most of the season.

He looked more assured in 25 minutes at centre back against West Brom than Lenihan has looked all season.

5 hours ago, davulsukur said:

He'll go on loan in January, should have happened in the summer. Now it's the wrong time and he should really be pushing the likes of Smallwood for a place. Hopefully pushing him out of a place entirely.

If Smallwood is banned for 3 games, it should open the door for Travis but I doubt it will do.

I never get this obsession with if a young player looks the part, "Send him out on loan, we don't want him playing for us, oh no."

No way he should be going out on loan for me but he probably will. He's miles better than the old  favourites like Evans, Smallwood, Bennett, Conway etc etc

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom said:

4 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

It would be interesting to know if there other issues here that are preventing him from playing regularly.

3 hours ago, DanielMB said:

The only possible reason I can think of is that he haven't been producing in training. 

I’m afraid chaps it’s much simpler than that. Like most managers Mowbray has his favourites. He has put his total faith in Smallwood to the exclusion of the club’s youth players. Same thing happened to Tomlinson last season.

Maybe Tony sees something of himself in Richie, they were born within 6 miles of each other, both of them started their playing careers at Boro, and both played briefly for England but below the full England team.

No doubt he will see Richie as ‘an honest pro’ who has done his time and has earned his place m, who knows, but it will be very interesting to see what he does now Smallwood is suspended against West Brom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

but it will be very interesting to see what he does now Smallwood is suspended against West Brom. 

I would have thought he'll put Reed alongside Evans in the middle, Bennett and Armstrong either side of Dack. If Nyambe is still out though i suppose that might open up a spot for Travis?

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeah, wasn't the rumour something like he and Mowbray had a blow up when his August loan move didn't go through because Mowbray wanted him around as depth and then he left the team without notice? If true (apologies if that rumour turned out to be bollocks!), good player or not, any young player will need to have his head straightened a bit after that. Anyway, you would hope/think that that would be water under the bridge now.

I wouldn't be surprised if he does go out on loan. A half-season of starting for a League One side would certainly be good for his development but not necessarily optimal for the 1st team if he can elbow his way into starting... After his strong performance yesterday, maybe the best option is to keep any outstanding loan offers on ice for now and see how he does through January, and then loan him out at the end of the window if he's not getting starting time here (perhaps unjustly!)

It's a travesty if this lad is shipped out.  He has alwsys aquitted himself well in my ooinion, his positive running was sooooo refreshing but not to Tony's liking it seems.   We will waste that talent if we are not careful.  He's done enough to be given a real chance.

• Like 1