BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Yes, you spelt 'jury's' wrong. 

Agree on Collins. He was excellent in the air. Judge looked like he was lacking a bit of sharpness. 

When we were all bemoaning our lack of a  rough and tumble dominant centre half a few weeks back we could have done worse than sign Collins on a one year contract. He's always been a tough competitor in the past.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we were all bemoaning our lack of a  rough and tumble dominant centre half a few weeks back we could have done worse than sign Collins on a one year contract. He's always been a tough competitor in the past.

At times it showed that he hadn't played for half a season. Other times Rovers made him look a world beater.

4 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Can't say I was at all impressed by James Collins yesterday. Looked an accident waiting to happen at any time played numerous balls putting fellow defenders under immediate pressure

Lamberts tactics of playing out from the back ensured one of his own signings was hung out to dry.

14 hours ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

At times it showed that he hadn't played for half a season. Other times Rovers made him look a world beater.

There was a very obvious tactical decision to ensure he's the only defender available for Lamberts preferred short ball out from the keeper. Followed by Armstrong, Rothwell or Reed jumping on him the second he got the ball. Very clever I thought.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rogerb said:

Can't say I was at all impressed by James Collins yesterday. Looked an accident waiting to happen at any time played numerous balls putting fellow defenders under immediate pressure

He was there best player by a mile. Won virtually everything in the air. I'd have him here instead of downing 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, J*B said:

There was a very obvious tactical decision to ensure he's the only defender available for Lamberts preferred short ball out from the keeper. Followed by Armstrong, Rothwell or Reed jumping on him the second he got the ball. Very clever I thought.

In the 2nd half I agree but I also think from the start, Armstrong should of been more central to test him from off against pace as he has never been the quickest.

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, philipl said:

We took eight injuries yesterday, not just the four who came off. 

This is what happens when you don’t do January right. Almost like tempting fate.

From play-off contenders to lower midtable could suddenly be a reality.

Whatever excuses people make, yesterday’s result should not have happened. Brentford were in 18th, 9 points behind us and are now 17th, 6 points behind (with a game in hand). It wasn’t down to Brentford’s brilliance. They were a cynical team who injured several of our key players while the ref awarded them soft free kicks. But ultimately it was down to the players that Mowbray brought on and those he didn’t.

As much as I like him, Bennett got a tugging yesterday but couldn’t be replaced. Having Nuttall and Brereton on the bench with only one defender - who didn’t get on.

Dack went off and Rothwell was over-looked (even before then ex-loanee Palmer was favoured). He has played a full 90 minutes four times this season, three times out on the left (W0 D2 L1 - Sheffield Utd) and only once as number 10 (W1 D0 L0 - against Brentford!!).

We continue to rely on Graham after four Mowbray windows.

Conway has had one good game this season and has seemingly earned Mowbray’s trust.

Great first XI, no plan b. Wasn’t that what fans at his other clubs used to say?

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Good time to bump this with the new contract.

One of the best signings of the summer for me - I'm certain others will start taking interest in the lad.

I heard that he only got a new contract because it was actually Smallwood's and Richie slipped on the way to the signing table.

Cream rises - well done to Trav, one of our most important players for the next couple of years now tied down.

• Like 9

I love him -

“It means the world to me to commit long-term to Rovers. This is the football club that I want to play for so to sign a deal is great for both me and my family.

“It means the world to me, this club. It’s helped me through a lot, have shown me a pathway and have given me the opportunity to push on even more."

“Everybody in their footballing career will get their chance, but it’s down to whether you take it or not. The gaffer and the coaching staff have helped me massively," he added.

• Like 7

I always feel like there is a distinct correlation between wages and our starting line up. Hence some of Mowbrays favourites rarely being dropped. Not only is it good to tie Trav down but hopefully this indicates Mowbray, like the fans see him as central to our future success

• Like 2

This made my day! Travis has commitment and inspiration written all over him. He told Neil Yardley that Rovers is the only football club he wants to play for. No wonder he's a fan-favourite! He's humble, driven and quite mature for his age too. A class act, and the kind of player you really want to succeed. Hopefully the hard work he puts in will pay off with even more playtime this season.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, capybara said:

This made my day! Travis has commitment and inspiration written all over him. He told Neil Yardley that Rovers is the only football club he wants to play for. No wonder he's a fan-favourite! He's humble, driven and quite mature for his age too. A class act, and the kind of player you really want to succeed. Hopefully the hard work he puts in will pay off with even more playtime this season.

...and do you believe him? I suppose someone saying Rovers instead of Blackburn is a big enough step.

I'm not completely cynical. I believe one day a truly world class (and consistently so) player might stay with a club in the Championship or even lower. Why not? Jack Walker existed there could be someone like that on the playing side of things. I'm talking someone better than Le Tissier or Steve Bull possibly even close to Messi level. You never know. Of course if it's a player who truly is one of the greatest ever it would be an attraction for people who would just want to play alongside him.

Edited by Vinjay17

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

...and do you believe him? I suppose someone saying Rovers instead of Blackburn is a big enough step.

I'm not completely cynical. I believe one day a truly world class (and consistently so) player might stay with a club in the Championship or even lower. Why not? Jack Walker existed there could be someone like that on the playing side of things. I'm talking someone better than Le Tissier or Steve Bull possibly even close to Messi level. You never know. Of course if it's a player who truly is one of the greatest ever it would be an attraction for people who would just want to play alongside him.

Clutching a straws a bit on that one.

The gap between the rich and poor clubs is getting bigger and bigger. And money does all the talking.

If Man City came in for Travis, we wouldn't see him for dust. And who could blame him? Possibly a once in a lifetime chance to play alongside some of the best players in the world, in the top league, playing champions league football, winning trophies, under the best manager in the game and getting paid a kings ransom to do so, setting him up for life.

The days of true loyalty are gone in football. 

At best, they'd come back in the twilight of their career and play for the club they support again.

Don't get me wrong, someone like Travis turning round and saying he's a huge Rovers fan, becomes one of the best midfielders in the game and stays here for his whole career, rejecting big money moves along the way, would be incredible. Sadly, it just won't happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

Are you feeling ok?

The best player in the world will play for the biggest club who can win everything and pay them obscenely, accordingly.

Has this ever been any different?

2 hours ago, Vinjay17 said:

I could probably be deemed naive for trusting anything a footballer says, but I think I've seen most of, if not all the interviews with every player we've signed for the past couple of years, and I don't think anyone have been this forward about his dedication to the club. Certainly not anyone else currently in the squad. I've lost count of the number of times I've heard "This is a good place for me now / at this point in my career" etc., so I though Travis' passion was a real breath of fresh air. And it mirrors what we've seen on the pitch from him as well. World class or not, any display of - or even encouragement of loyalty should at least be greeted with thumbs up from fans imho.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 2