BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

13 hours ago, davulsukur said:

Clutching a straws a bit on that one.

The gap between the rich and poor clubs is getting bigger and bigger. And money does all the talking.

If Man City came in for Travis, we wouldn't see him for dust. And who could blame him? Possibly a once in a lifetime chance to play alongside some of the best players in the world, in the top league, playing champions league football, winning trophies, under the best manager in the game and getting paid a kings ransom to do so, setting him up for life.

The days of true loyalty are gone in football. 

At best, they'd come back in the twilight of their career and play for the club they support again.

Don't get me wrong, someone like Travis turning round and saying he's a huge Rovers fan, becomes one of the best midfielders in the game and stays here for his whole career, rejecting big money moves along the way, would be incredible. Sadly, it just won't happen.

So hypothetically had Jack Walker been one of the greatest footballers ever do you think he would have played anywhere else? 

If someone like Le Tissier (granted perhaps overrated) cold stay at one club why couldn't someone much higher up the chain so to speak? People on here know I'm cynical about things so yes I'm feeling fine. This is talking about one possible anomaly which might just happen. It's not impossible.

Edited by Vinjay17

1 hour ago, Vinjay17 said:

So hypothetically had Jack Walker been one of the greatest footballers ever do you think he would have played anywhere else? 

If someone like Le Tissier (granted perhaps overrated) cold stay at one club why couldn't someone much higher up the chain so to speak? People on here know I'm cynical about things so yes I'm feeling fine. This is talking about one possible anomaly which might just happen. It's not impossible.

Impossible to answer that. You can't answer it either. 

Like many situations in life, you can't guarantee how anyone will act until that moment happens, no matter what they say before hand.

Of course, it could happen but realistically, it won't.

But i genuinely do admire your optimism

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

Just now, davulsukur said:

Impossible to answer that. You can't answer it either. 

Like many situations in life, you can't guarantee how anyone will act until that moment happens, no matter what they say before hand.

Of course, it could happen but realistically, it won't.

But i genuinely do admire your optimism

It's not impossible to answer that. Where do you think Jack would have gone in that position? Old Trafford? ?

It's not that much optimism that there might be one anomaly (rather than several) but you need to have hope don't you? Thanks to FUP not much otherwise is there unless it's abolished. Someone as good as Pele/Maradona refusing to leave a Championship club would help that club grow. 

Edited by Vinjay17

Just now, Vinjay17 said:

It's not impossible to answer that. Where do you think Jack would have gone in that position? Old Trafford? ?

It's not that much optimism that there might be one anomaly but you need to have hope don't you? Thanks to FUP not much otherwise is there unless it's abolished. 

You're not Jack Walker, so no you can't.

So he wouldn't have gone to Man Utd (its not always about Man Utd, although with you it is), what about any of the other big clubs around?

When are we even talking? Now? 1995? 1950?

Edited by davulsukur

• 5 months later...

I think it’s becoming clearer by the game that Travis will be a Premier League player very soon. He’ll comfortably command the biggest fee from an academy graduate since the Jones one, I could actually see it being as high as Jones’.

Our investment into the academy is paying dividends at the moment.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

I think it’s becoming clearer by the game that Travis will be a Premier League player very soon. He’ll comfortably command the biggest fee from an academy graduate since the Jones one, I could actually see it being as high as Jones’.

I think Travis and Nyambe have become very important players but I am unconvinced that we need to be too nervous at the moment in regards to them being poached by Premier League clubs, think they have a way to go yet before then.

• Like 4

i don`t think travis is mobile enough in speed or thought  to play at the highest level,though he is and will be a very good player at our current level,hopefully he`ll be here for a while,nyambe on the other hand has everything in his armoury to make it to the top,his positional play is a bit dodgy but with better players around him that will be solved,expect scouts to be sniffing round soon if he carries on with his current form

42 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i don`t think travis is mobile enough in speed or thought  to play at the highest level,though he is and will be a very good player at our current level,hopefully he`ll be here for a while,nyambe on the other hand has everything in his armoury to make it to the top,his positional play is a bit dodgy but with better players around him that will be solved,expect scouts to be sniffing round soon if he carries on with his current form

Can’t quite believe I’ve read that, Travis’ speed is one of his biggest strengths, I’d wager that he’s one of the quickest players on our books.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I think Travis and Nyambe have become very important players but I am unconvinced that we need to be too nervous at the moment in regards to them being poached by Premier League clubs, think they have a way to go yet before then.

I’d be very surprised if we don’t receive Prem bids for Travis in the summer, they may want to loan him back to the Championship for a season, mind. I don’t think Nyambe is good enough going forward for the Prem yet, so I think we’ll keep him for another season, having said that Wan Bisaka is dreadful going forward so who knows.

On 23/07/2019 at 19:17, Vinjay said:

Hypothetically lets say now.

Hypothetically how would you have felt if he had gone to Man City in 2011/12? ,How do you feel about supporters of one club jumping ship to go glory hunting at clubs like Man City, Do you think Jack would have approved?

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

Yes...but because we are now operating in a lower league/at a much lower level than when the owners arrived...

• Like 3

A bit early to be talking about Travis moving to the Premiership, he's in his first full season and whilst he has been good he still has long way to go to be ready for Premiership football. Midfielders like Kalvin Phillips, Josh Brownhill and Daniel Johnson have been performing very well in this league for a number of years now yet they still haven't got a move to the top flight, so I don't see Travis getting a move after one good season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

I’d be very surprised if we don’t receive Prem bids for Travis in the summer, they may want to loan him back to the Championship for a season, mind. I don’t think Nyambe is good enough going forward for the Prem yet, so I think we’ll keep him for another season, having said that Wan Bisaka is dreadful going forward so who knows.

He has only established himself for a year to be fair, he amidst more experienced options of Corry Evans and Bradley Johnson has made himself the first name on the teamsheet for us which is very impressive. And as others have said, Mowbray deserves plenty of praise for that. He I think statistically is only behind Jacob Davenport (from yesterday) in terms of his passing, hes quite a safe passer usually though which is fine but he hasnt got the range of say a Downing. Hes industrious and tenacious, and he has plenty of energy and a turn of acceleration so hes a well rounded player. Got plenty of strings to his bow and plenty of time to improve. Of course he will need to be able to run games a little more and stamp his authority on games for longer.

I just think that whilst he continues to impress, I am not sure that he stands out enough to have vultures circling, he is a good midfielder for a mid table team. If you wanted a Championship midfielder, there is Phillips at Leeds, Pearson and Johnson at Preston, Sawyers at West Brom, Cairney at Fulham, theres a few that are probably a bit ahead at the moment.

• Like 3

Historically, Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Everton, to name two, always poached youngsters from the lower leagues well before they could be regarded as ready for the top division.

They usually disappeared for two seasons till you'd forgotten about them then reappeared as first team players and then internationals!

Liverpool saved a fortune in that manner and the likes of Crewe and Chester lost out. 

That method is exactly how astute "little" clubs in the Premiership are best able to survive.I'm thinking of Brighton, bournemouth and the like.

So, I do worry about this. Unless we can show our young talented players we intend to go places we will be a feeder club.

9 hours ago, 47er said:

Historically, Liverpool and to a lesser extent, Everton, to name two, always poached youngsters from the lower leagues well before they could be regarded as ready for the top division.

They usually disappeared for two seasons till you'd forgotten about them then reappeared as first team players and then internationals!

Liverpool saved a fortune in that manner and the likes of Crewe and Chester lost out. 

That method is exactly how astute "little" clubs in the Premiership are best able to survive.I'm thinking of Brighton, bournemouth and the like.

So, I do worry about this. Unless we can show our young talented players we intend to go places we will be a feeder club.

Exactly, not saying that he’ll be bought for their first teams yet, but a 21 year old in his first couple of seasons in mens football performing the way he is doing is going to attract attention. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 47er said:

And in this case, Liverpool let Travis go and we took advantage. It's a good model though. Spurs were bastards for it a bit ago, the amount of young English talent they were mopping up from lower leagues. 

25 minutes ago, Tom said:

He’s really got under the skin of Sheff Wednesday fans and journos 

In one of his first full games he suckered Livermore into a retaliatory push and he was sent off. On Saturday he was incessantly booed by the Wednesday fans and it didn't appear to bother him. In fact Mowbray seemed more worried as he took him off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

In one of his first full games he suckered Livermore into a retaliatory push and he was sent off. On Saturday he was incessantly booed by the Wednesday fans and it didn't appear to bother him. In fact Mowbray seemed more worried as he took him off.

Great sign of a combatant player 

Can you imagine Roy Keane being bothered about that type of thing, or even Robbie Savage, who probably got worse than Keane. I think the crowd were actually afraid of Keane ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel