BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Great sign of a combatant player 

Can you imagine Roy Keane being bothered about that type of thing, or even Robbie Savage, who probably got worse than Keane. I think the crowd were actually afraid of Keane ?

Players like that actually seem to get inspired when the opposition fans boo them, rather than just not being bothered.

My mum and I always groan when Rovers fans lay into those types, as we know it could bite us in the arse.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just been thinking - is Trav still eligible?

What do you think chances of a call up would be? Seeing and hearing a lot of people outside the Rover's fanbase cotton on to how good he's been playing.

Am I out of my mind? I know the first 11 is strong but there's been a few Championship players in there recently that are arguably no better.

Would be great imo.

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

Just been thinking - is Trav still eligible?

What do you think chances of a call up would be? Seeing and hearing a lot of people outside the Rover's fanbase cotton on to how good he's been playing.

Am I out of my mind? I know the first 11 is strong but there's been a few Championship players in there recently that are arguably no better.

Would be great imo.

Should surely be in the squad. He has a specific skill when it comes to doing the "dirty work". Not sure many of the young English players I have seen have that. Don't get me wrong though, you have a talented, talented bunch these days. 

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Off topic but why have dingles got England u21s v Turkey at Turf Moor. Why isn't Ewood hosting such fixtures? It is bigger and better including better access and parking facilities.

One time we did in 2001 (?) it was a sell out against Greece.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

For far to long we've missed a bit of bite, a bit of devilment in midfield, step forward Lewis Travis, a cross between Robbie Savage and Mark Hughes in my eyes.

I'd pay the admission fee alone to watch this lad, you know the opposition aren't getting an easy ride at any point, just what we need down the home straight, if he can stay ban free.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Gav said:

For far to long we've missed a bit of bite, a bit of devilment in midfield, step forward Lewis Travis, a cross between Robbie Savage and Mark Hughes in my eyes.

I'd pay the admission fee alone to watch this lad, you know the opposition aren't getting an easy ride at any point, just what we need down the home straight, if he can stay ban free.

I think from a defensive point of view he is fantastic and his positives are really shown in our quick press and counter attacking way of playing. However, I think he could improve from a technical point of view and our lack of possession this season is due to the fact that we struggle to hold the ball in midfield and I would say he is the weakest link from that point of view.

I think as part of his development is to take more control of games. We are very one dimensional and if our press and counter attack is not working we need someone in midfield to put their foot on the ball and hold possession for a period of time. In recent game our patients has been shocking and we have been constantly trying to force the quick counter. At times you need to just slow things down slightly and hold possession for longer periods in order to tire the opposition out and to stretch them defensively. But we have just being booting it back to them.

Travis has been a massive improvement this season but he still needs to improve parts of his game if we are going to get promoted

• Like 2

Its interesting - I was saying after the game on Saturday that I don't remember Travis ever being awarded MOTM despite being an ever present over the last 3-4 years. I think he won it in his home debut v WBA back in 2018 but since then don't remember him doing. Might be wrong as I haven't checked.

I think because he doesn't make match winning saves or sit in a defence keeping clean sheets and doesn't score goals that he gets overlooked for this, because on Saturday I thought he was excellent, even winning the free kick for Khadra's goal just by heading towards the corner flag and winning a foul off the QPR player.

• Like 1

We might be seeing Davenport soon. Travis is going to pick up that 10th booking in the next 3 games for sure you would think. Davenport is the most similar player to Travis and should be his backup, but I worry we will use Johnson in that role instead. Edun approaching fitness though I think, so a possibility it's him instead, depending when the 2-match ban comes in.

He's just bloody superb isn't he.

Fantastic midfielder, would waltz into any squad in the top 6 other than Fulham.

Tough one this weekend, we could well get a result with the team that played QPR... but ahead of the 3 winnable home games, I'd like to make sure we have him for them, and with the antics of those Fulham players he's a yellow card waiting to happen. Tough call.

As a team 4th in the league fighting for promotion with 12 games to go, we cannot be resting Travis to try and avoid him getting out of a yellow card. There would still be 2 games after the Fulham game plus there is no reason why we shouldn't be going to Fulham, as hard as that game will be aiming to bring a result back, we need to get out of this mindset that any game is a free hit.

Travis has really developed since Mowbray gave him a chance when we all expected Smallwood to be reinstated, and he has this season become more mature as a defensive midfielder.

• Like 4