BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

If he isn't going to displace TMs pal or Mr guaranteed a spot Evans then will he get 10/20 mins per game whilst he develops like Brereton gets then ?

If not then WHY not ?   isn't that how you develop your youth who've shown they might be able to cut it or is that just reserved for big money signings via your agent channels ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah,  when I was a young player and we got a penalty I'd always volunteer to take it. I'd be letting someone else grab the ball now.

I played CF from age 19 thru 23, then went attaching wide mid, took 2 pens, 1 score then 1 miss. Never again. Give me a moving ball everytime. Aged 66 I would have made a better go at the chances Lenihan, Brereton and Travis had.

The problem with youth development at rovers is there is no clear pathway to progression. You can be the best player on the pitch and guaranteed to be dropped simply because you're young. Surely that hunger of youth is fired by the thinking that if you make an impression you could secure on ongoing place in the side. Tony's version is you're young so you're only going to get 10 or 20 mins here and there regardless of all other factors involved. The opposite of progression!!

• Like 1

Just now, OJRovers said:

Ridiculous that he's not had more chances when you consider how average the midfield has been.

Even last season we had Raheem Harper who was cr@p getting games ahead of Travis.

A 17 year old on loan from the club he bossed today, you couldn’t make it up.

• Backroom

Travis probably should have been brought in last season the same way Nyambe, Raya and Lenihan were - by having him start regularly whenever fit. Particularly in the second half of the season when Smallwood's form evaporated. It'll be more difficult for him to acclimatise in a higher division. That said, today's performance against one of the top teams in the division suggests he has what it takes, so get him into the team and let him prove himself. 

• Like 1

Travis is a young player so he may do well but run out of steam at some point so Smallwood might comeback refreshed a break could do him good. However regardless of that if Travis does well he should keep the shirt, drop the old pals act and pick players on merit and in Travis case it also would send a great message to other young players at this club.

• Like 1

I’ll be extremely disappointed in Mowbray if he drops him for the next game, or when Smallwood is fit.

If he loans him out at this stage, I’d be questioning his ability to spot a player.

And so, I expect, would the rest of our U23 players...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ll be extremely disappointed in Mowbray if he drops him for the next game, or when Smallwood is fit.

If he loans him out at this stage, I’d be questioning his ability to spot a player.

And so, I expect, would the rest of our U23 players...

Did it with Downing so he'll probably do it here but I just hope they don't try and drum out his enthusiasm and try and make him into another sitting defensive mid our midfield has needed shaking up on a permanent basis for years. Silly to overlook this lad again if he proves he can cut it.

Just now, tomphil said:

Did it with Downing so he'll probably do it here but I just hope they don't try and drum out his enthusiasm and try and make him into another sitting defensive mid our midfield has needed shaking up on a permanent basis for years. Silly to overlook this lad again if he proves he can cut it.

I think Downing came in and did an adequate job without pulling up any trees. Lewis is a dynamo.

• Like 1