BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

“It’s about taking opportunities when they come your way, and Trav has certainly taken his chance. He’s in the forefront of our minds.

“I’ve had lots of conversations with Trav, and lots of conversations with probably about half a dozen managers who would like to take him on loan.

“We’ll see how it goes. The fact that he’s in the team and helping us win suggests that he’s worth keeping.”

Seems like TM agrees.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:
“It’s about taking opportunities when they come your way, and Trav has certainly taken his chance. He’s in the forefront of our minds.

“I’ve had lots of conversations with Trav, and lots of conversations with probably about half a dozen managers who would like to take him on loan.

“We’ll see how it goes. The fact that he’s in the team and helping us win suggests that he’s worth keeping.”

Seems like TM agrees.

Seems like he’s in two minds!

”We’ll see how it goes” is a bit non-committal.

Lewis need to get some kind of assurance that if he keeps playing well he can get the shirt on a more permanent basis. No favours, no guarantees, just reassurance that if he does well he can get into the side.

• Like 2

Loved the gamesmanship to get Livermore sent off as well. Most of our team would have got straight back up (Smallwood definitely would have done as he’s thinks he’s an ‘ard man), and Livermore would have got away with a booking. It showed real intelligence and we’ve been missing a bit of that.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Seems like he’s in two minds!

”We’ll see how it goes” is a bit non-committal.

Lewis need to get some kind of assurance that if he keeps playing well he can get the shirt on a more permanent basis. No favours, no guarantees, just reassurance that if he does well he can get into the side.

The bit before the above quote is more reassuring:

“I’m delighted for Lewis Travis. He has a winning mentality and is a young footballer who is in a hurry to play football and progress," the boss reflected after the game.

“He’s grabbed the opportunity that’s come his way over the last week. In the previous game, I felt he was fantastic at Bramall Lane, competing against one of the top sides in the division.

“Today, against some experienced campaigners he was like a trojan. He played forward and was everywhere.”

Today’s performance from Travis was no surprise to many of the fans who know a good player when they see one, particularly one who has come through the ranks.

I suspect Mowbray is now in a bit of a pickle as far as his loyalty to Smallwood is concerned but he will be making a big mistake if he disregards Travis in favour of sticking with Smallwood after his suspension.

IMO Mowbray is in a fantastic position, he has, in Travis, someone who is in effect a new signing. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

The bit before the above quote is more reassuring:

“I’m delighted for Lewis Travis. He has a winning mentality and is a young footballer who is in a hurry to play football and progress," the boss reflected after the game.

“He’s grabbed the opportunity that’s come his way over the last week. In the previous game, I felt he was fantastic at Bramall Lane, competing against one of the top sides in the division.

“Today, against some experienced campaigners he was like a trojan. He played forward and was everywhere.”

But then goes on to say... “we’ll see”.

Show a bit of faith in the youth, Tony!

1 hour ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Today’s performance from Travis was no surprise to many of the fans who know a good player when they see one, particularly one who has come through the ranks.

I suspect Mowbray is now in a bit of a pickle as far as his loyalty to Smallwood is concerned but he will be making a big mistake if he disregards Travis in favour of sticking with Smallwood after his suspension.

IMO Mowbray is in a fantastic position, he has, in Travis, someone who is in effect a new signing. 

This is a poor reflection on Mowbray. He has been forced to give Travis his chance only because Smallwood is suspended.

Travis has taken out the M.O.M. award! Makes TM looks stupid. 

Let's hope TM recognises the inevitable.

• Like 1

He only got his chance because his hand was forced, he could have and still could go out on loan when he's good enough to start for us.

I was listening to the post match interview with BBC Radio Lancs, the reply should have been any League One manager can forget loaning him now because he's in my team!

• Like 2

Games are coming thick and fast in this league and we need all the bodies for the second half of the season. Smallwood has played a lot of games for us since he joined and probably needs the break, and Evans will have to be rested now and then as well. Travis right now should be first on the team sheet along with Raya, Mullgrew, Lenihan and Dack. Same mould as J. Lowe but with actually skill and desire to go forward. 

Just now, adrianbrfc said:

He only got his chance because his hand was forced, he could have and still could go out on loan when he's good enough to start for us.

I was listening to the post match interview with BBC Radio Lancs, the reply should have been any League One manager can forget loaning him now because he's in my team!

Correct. And yet he didn’t say that, he said “we’ll see”. Having praised him, this surely is old school management, the idea of keep ‘em keen. Trouble is, I’m not sure this works with today’s youngsters. They want to feel wanted.

It’s going to hurt Mowbray but he simply has to promote Travis over Smallwood who will now have to settle for being Corry Evans’ understudy or waiting for a dip in form or injury.

Exactly, in fairness I think Travis seems to have an excellent attitude and finds motivation within himself which is rare in young players nowadays, its been mentioned that numerous times he has knocked on the managers door asking for game time or a loan move, others would be happy to settle for the odd sub appearance and just being involved with the first team squad.

41 minutes ago, 47er said:

This is a poor reflection on Mowbray. He has been forced to give Travis his chance only because Smallwood is suspended.

Travis has taken out the M.O.M. award! Makes TM looks stupid. 

Let's hope TM recognises the inevitable.

Travis started against Sheffield United FYI.

But carry on everyone, Mowbray is stupid etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Travis started against Sheffield United FYI.

But carry on everyone, Mowbray is stupid etc.

Usual sycophantic crap from you. I remember you taking the piss when I cast doubts on the summer transfer window!

Just to remind you, TM has done great things for Rovers, he is a genuinely good guy and deserves the chance to take this club further.

However he does not deserve forever, he has made plenty of mistakes that deserve to be pointed out and, in short, he is not God.

You want to see Travis go out on loan while Smallwood replaces him?

7 minutes ago, 47er said:

Usual sycophantic crap from you. I remember you taking the piss when I cast doubts on the summer transfer window!

Just to remind you, TM has done great things for Rovers, he is a genuinely good guy and deserves the chance to take this club further.

However he does not deserve forever, he has made plenty of mistakes that deserve to be pointed out and, in short, he is not God.

You want to see Travis go out on loan while Smallwood replaces him?

Sycophantic?

Your assertion that TM was made to “look stupid” was based upon the idea that Smallwood’s suspension forced his hand - it’s just factually incorrect.

It wasn’t just you that is trying to make the performance of a young player somehow a failing of TM.

Of course by calling out obvious bullshit I definitely want Travis out on loan - well deduced.

Quite flattered you remember me though, I’ll keep my eye out for you in return.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

Seems like TM agrees.

Not the enthusiastic endorsement I'm looking for.

10 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

Sycophantic?

Your assertion that TM was made to “look stupid” was based upon the idea that Smallwood’s suspension forced his hand - it’s just factually incorrect.

It wasn’t just you that is trying to make the performance of a young player somehow a failing of TM.

Of course by calling out obvious bullshit I definitely want Travis out on loan - well deduced.

Quite flattered you remember me though, I’ll keep my eye out for you in return.

Ah, so If Smallwood had been available, Travis would still have started--is that factually correct?

Travis's performances when chosen, do make TM look stupid---fact.

If TM continues to ignore him, Travis will leave, either on loan or, worse, ask for a transfer. Not fact, my opinion. Well-founded or far-fetched?

Sycophantic----course you are. Never made a criticism of TM in your life!

3 hours ago, RV Blue said:

Loved the gamesmanship to get Livermore sent off as well. Most of our team would have got straight back up (Smallwood definitely would have done as he’s thinks he’s an ‘ard man), and Livermore would have got away with a booking. It showed real intelligence and we’ve been missing a bit of that.

Travis had an excellent game. But zero gamesmanship was needed to get Livermore sent off for that. I think Travis could have pleaded Livermore's case for him and he still would have gone. It was a shocking moment of mindlessness.

23 minutes ago, 47er said:

Not the enthusiastic endorsement I'm looking for.

You read the full set of quotes or listened to the interviews? 

Short of giving him a blowie on the press room desk I’m not sure how much more you want?

18 minutes ago, 47er said:

Ah, so If Smallwood had been available, Travis would still have started--is that factually correct?

Travis's performances when chosen, do make TM look stupid---fact.

If TM continues to ignore him, Travis will leave, either on loan or, worse, ask for a transfer. Not fact, my opinion. Well-founded or far-fetched?

Sycophantic----course you are. Never made a criticism of TM in your life!

What? Who knows?!!?

If he drops him for Evans or Smallwood now then I think everyone will be right to question why.

But criticism should usually be able to be levelled without just making shit up.

Just checking btw... but you DO know that it’s Mowbray who has been picking him for the last few games? Who gave him his debut etc?

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

You read the full set of quotes or listened to the interviews? 

Short of giving him a blowie on the press room desk I’m not sure how much more you want?

What? Who knows?!!?

If he drops him for Evans or Smallwood now then I think everyone will be right to question why.

But criticism should usually be able to be levelled without just making shit up.

Just checking btw... but you DO know that it’s Mowbray who has been picking him for the last few games? Who gave him his debut etc?

You do know that I and others have been calling for Travis' selection for a long time don't you? Keep up!

There is a lot to like about smallwood, a real honest pro who has given nothing but his all in everygame for us. He was great for us last year and will always be loved.

But apart from experience which travis needs, he has smallwood beat in every category he simply has to start now. His ability to play with his head up and look forward with passes is huge and then his desire to charge forward and try and join in some of the attcks to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FGS5635 said:

There is a lot to like about smallwood, a real honest pro who has given nothing but his all in everygame for us. He was great for us last year and will always be loved.

But apart from experience which travis needs, he has smallwood beat in every category he simply has to start now. His ability to play with his head up and look forward with passes is huge and then his desire to charge forward and try and join in some of the attcks to.

Smallwood was hanging on with some poor performances towards the end of last season (as were a few others). This would have been the perfect time to bring in Travis.

It is such a shame that he has only got a game because Smallwood got himself sent off.

Reminds me a lot of when Bowyer(?) persisted in playing Lowe and others ahead of Alan Judge, who was clearly a decent player. He went on to shine elsewhere.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Smallwood was hanging on with some poor performances towards the end of last season (as were a few others). This would have been the perfect time to bring in Travis.

It is such a shame that he has only got a game because Smallwood got himself sent off.

Reminds me a lot of when Bowyer(?) persisted in playing Lowe and others ahead of Alan Judge, who was clearly a decent player. He went on to shine elsewhere.

To be fair, even though I agree that Smallwoods performance levels dipped during the second half of last season, it would have been a needless risk to change him at that point and his selection was justified by promotion.

That being said, Smallwood this season has already received far too much loyalty when he has often come up short. I felt it was premature in the summer to give him and Williams new contracts as rewards, and they were decisions lacking ruthlessness with both very much carrying question marks over their ability at Championship level.

Now is the acid test for Mowbray, if he reverts back to Smallwood (assuming Travis' performance levels dont nosedive) then he is going to face some flak.

Not sure Jason Lowe was a direct competitor to Alan Judge either, I'd argue Chris Taylor woule be a better example of a poor player who seemed to be ahead of Judge.