BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Lewis Travis

42 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Smallwood was hanging on with some poor performances towards the end of last season (as were a few others). This would have been the perfect time to bring in Travis.

It is such a shame that he has only got a game because Smallwood got himself sent off.

Reminds me a lot of when Bowyer(?) persisted in playing Lowe and others ahead of Alan Judge, who was clearly a decent player. He went on to shine elsewhere.

Don’t mean to hammer it home, but they both started at Sheffield United, and played well together.

Edited by S8 & Blue

• Moderation Lead
10 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

You read the full set of quotes or listened to the interviews? 

Short of giving him a blowie on the press room desk I’m not sure how much more you want?

What? Who knows?!!?

If he drops him for Evans or Smallwood now then I think everyone will be right to question why.

But criticism should usually be able to be levelled without just making shit up.

Just checking btw... but you DO know that it’s Mowbray who has been picking him for the last few games? Who gave him his debut etc?

In fairness though mate, Evans and Smallwood have started pretty much every game together in central midfield this season.....

Given how well Travis has done on the occasions I've seen him play, I'd be really disappointed if Mowbray simply reverts back to picking Smallwood again as soon as he's available. For me, it wouldn't send out the right message. It should be 'Do well and you keep the shirt' and I hope it is!

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 1

Buzzing for the lad but at the same time angry that it’s taken this long for him to get his chance. I could understand it if the dynamic duo of Smallwood and Evans (particularly the former) were pulling up trees - but they haven’t been. I haven’t even watched him at under 23 level but could tell in his cameos from last season that he had something about him and deserved a fair crack.

It’s his shirt to lose now or Mowbray loses face big time. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Buzzing for the lad but at the same time angry that it’s taken this long for him to get his chance. I could understand it if the dynamo duo of Smallwood and Evans (particularly the former) we’re pulling up trees - but they haven’t been. I haven’t even watched him at under 23 level but could tell in his cameos from last season that he had something about him and deserved a fair crack.

It’s his shirt to lose now or Mowbray loses face big time. 

I agree with the last line, but I wouldn't be angry that it's taken this long. He is only 21. I would liked to have seen him more last season, but the reality is we had a serious mission at hand and i understand why Mowbray kept it safe with Smallwood and Evans in there. if we missed out on promotion, the line would be that we should have stuck with what we know and not bring youngsters in. Wouldn't have been good for Travis either. Now seems the perfect time for him to step in. In some ways, we are under less pressure this season 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 2

I see Richie Smallwoods brother is on twitter engaging with fans who say Smallwood shouldn't get his place back. Michael Smallwood. He is saying not to forget the lads who got us up. I wouldn't be forgetting them, but I think anything other than Travis keeping his place will be disappointing. I like Smallwood personally and think he has been better than some give him credit for. It seems a lot just write him off as being a "league 1" player. While limited on the ball, he's not atrocious and he gets aorund. He is a lot better than Lowe. Anyway, I hope Travis keeps his place. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I see Richie Smallwoods brother is on twitter engaging with fans who say Smallwood shouldn't get his place back. Michael Smallwood. He is saying not to forget the lads who got us up. I wouldn't be forgetting them, but I think anything other than Travis keeping his place will be disappointing. I like Smallwood personally and think he has been better than some give him credit for. It seems a lot just write him off as being a "league 1" player. While limited on the ball, he's not atrocious and he gets aorund. He is a lot better than Lowe. Anyway, I hope Travis keeps his place. 

That is the crux of the matter, you should be picked on how you are performing now, not what you did in the past.

• Like 2

Toss up for me between Evans and Smallwood.  Don't think either are particularly good.  Smallwood is generally either very effective or bloody awful.  Evans isn't nearly as noticeable.  Not sure if that means he does less or not.  For me, a midfield 2 of Reed and Travis would be a bloody nightmare to play against.  Constantly in your face and with some ability going forward. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's what one fan said. To which he responded that he would still pick Richie. I suppose blood is thicker than water 

It’d be a pretty sad day when your own brother doesn’t pick you!

I fear that we are going to see history repeat itself with Smallwood. He is the kind of player you would love to be able to bring on to close out a game. Keep possession and play an agricultural game. Or, be a like for like swap for Evans. It was exactly the same with Jason Lowe and he became more of a target because Bowyer kept starting him than if he had been a solid squad player.

The flipside was that some fans took his selection to mean he was a good player because he gets picked rather than what they saw with their own eyes. Then as he racked up hands that became a stat in itself! Then he left on a free!! Our brilliant, highly experienced captain! Made us no money and wasn’t worthy of a new contract! What a contradiction!

”As long as he wears the shirt I’ll back him”. Hard to argue with such belligerence, no, some don’t like that word so: misplaced loyalty.

Lets hope Richie doesn’t become that man and instead continues to contribute at a higher level than we should expect him to.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Toss up for me between Evans and Smallwood.  Don't think either are particularly good.  Smallwood is generally either very effective or bloody awful.  Evans isn't nearly as noticeable.  Not sure if that means he does less or not.  For me, a midfield 2 of Reed and Travis would be a bloody nightmare to play against.  Constantly in your face and with some ability going forward. 

Would be neither Evans or Smallwood for me. We should be signing someone better. Centre mid has been abysmal for us for a long time.

Reed is a class above and hopefully Travis will be in time, although I expect some bumps in the road along the way.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

In fairness though mate, Evans and Smallwood have started pretty much every game together in central midfield this season.....

Given how well Travis has done on the occasions I've seen him play, I'd be really disappointed if Mowbray simply reverts back to picking Smallwood again as soon as he's available. For me, it wouldn't send out the right message. It should be 'Do well and you keep the shirt' and I hope it is!

I agree he should keep his place, but you know I prefer Smallwood to Evans!

I think Travis will work better with a bit more license to move forward/around and be the ball player.

Drop Evans I say!

• Moderation Lead
54 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

I agree he should keep his place, but you know I prefer Smallwood to Evans!

I think Travis will work better with a bit more license to move forward/around and be the ball player.

Drop Evans I say!

Evans has been miles better than Smallwood this season overall and Travis is better than them both based on what I've seen of him.

Reed and Travis would be the ideal central midfield pairing, but TM does love a square peg in a round hole and we do need more wingers.....

• Like 5

2 hours ago, thorpefleet said:

Travis along side Bradley, Armstrong  up front or Midfield /. Graham  up front. Wings and defence still not sure who should wear first team shirts ??

just interested in others views. best formation?

thanks

Why would you stick him up front when he's been a standout player in the middle of the park for the past two games? Let him grow into that role and we'll have a very decent young player on our hands.

On 02/01/2019 at 10:07, blueboy3333 said:

Travis has completed 73 of 81 passes in his last two outings according to the LT. 

I think that may be the first time I've seen him for a whole game at Champ level and his composure on the ball really stands out. 

I want Travis to play ahead of Smallwood. But to put perspective on these stats...Travis' overall pass rate in the league this season is 82.3% in 2 starts and 5 sub appearances. Richie's is 75.1 in 23 starts and 2 sub's. Consider that Smallwood's stat is over a larger sample, there may not be tons in it after a run for Travis. Hopefully Lewis can keep it up though, been impressive. Him and Reed looks our best pairing, though if we use that we need a better right flank option than Benno (as much as I love the guy).

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I want Travis to play ahead of Smallwood. But to put perspective on these stats...Travis' overall pass rate in the league this season is 82.3% in 2 starts and 5 sub appearances. Richie's is 75.1 in 23 starts and 2 sub's. Consider that Smallwood's stat is over a larger sample, there may not be tons in it after a run for Travis. Hopefully Lewis can keep it up though, been impressive. Him and Reed looks our best pairing, though if we use that we need a better right flank option than Benno (as much as I love the guy).

I think the breakdown of how many FORWARD passes Smallwood and Evans attempt/complete compared to Travis would be interesting. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think the breakdown of how many FORWARD passes Smallwood and Evans attempt/complete compared to Travis would be interesting. 

Agreed but I can't find that. I do see Smallwood has averaged 0.7 key passes a game, and Travis 0.1 so far (probably skewed a bit by the sub appearances). Travis has played 1.3 long balls per game, and Smallwood 2.8, but again Travis' is probably more really due to the subs skewing it.

42 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

75.1 when most of them are 10 yard passes backwards or sideways to the full backs ?

Travis was pushing forward, taking risks and trying to make something happen and still managed 82.3. Lets be honest also, WBA have arguably the best collection of central midfielders in the division and he was the best one on the pitch.

• Like 2