BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

Agree with your comments. My questions for TM:

- Why have you delayed playing Travis?

- Have you had a word with Bell yet about his lack of attempt to prevent crosses? Its happening every week?

The only reason I can think is his positional play - which TM must think Smallwood is better at - especially considering that Travis is twice the player that Smallwood is.

Lets hope that Travis has made it impossible for TM to drop him now.

• Like 2

Eagles: Travis

Birdies: Graham, Dack*, Reed, Mulgrew

Par: Evans, Armstrong, Raya, Lenihan, Bennett, Williams

Bogies: Bell, Brereton

Real shame not to get the win but it’s the same old story at the moment. Yes, they brought on class subs but we brought on ones poorer than those we brought off.

Brereton really needs to get the fans on side with something. A crunching challenge, a clever run, beating a man, holding the bell up under pressure, playing a defence splitting through-ball.

A first touch or a flick on, or something better than a half-hearted jog. He looks like he’s stuck in treacle.

It was great that we matched Newcastle but we deserved to win until the penalty went in.

If games finished after 80 minutes... (again!)

*I really disagree with the view that Dack has outgrown us. I think he is popping up at the right times but he isn’t doing what we know he can on the ball. Still a good player at Championship level but his lack of pace would be shown up on the PL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Radio Newcastle saying Travis kept giving ball away

Last 10 minutes possibly - as he was dead on his feet. But over the 90 minutes he had a really good performance - retaining the ball well and breaking up play. He also played a couple of good passes - one of which should have led to a goal.

• Like 4

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Late on when it was a case of getting in the way to hold up Newcastle, two blocks and one horrible pass went AWOL but other than that Travis was pretty well immaculate.

Great thing about him is his command of the ball, vision and range of passing means that whenever Travis is on the ball there is a calmness about the rest of the players who get into position to keep the move going rather than taking insurance positions in case the ball is lost.

Dack is shere class. Yes he doesn't keep every ball and not every pass finds its target but look how far up the field he is playing.  

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd agree with that. He does the leg work then sends daft passes to the opposition's feet. He kept doing it a couple of games back too (his first start after a while). 

Just now, Stuart said:

Eagles: Travis

Birdies: Graham, Dack*, Reed, Mulgrew

Par: Evans, Armstrong, Raya, Lenihan, Bennett, Williams

Bogies: Bell, Brereton

Real shame not to get the win but it’s the same old story at the moment. Yes, they brought on class subs but we brought on ones poorer than those we brought off.

Brereton really needs to get the fans on side with something. A crunching challenge, a clever run, beating a man, holding the bell up under pressure, playing a defence splitting through-ball.

A first touch or a flick on, or something better than a half-hearted jog. He looks like he’s stuck in treacle.

It was great that we matched Newcastle but we deserved to win until the penalty went in.

If games finished after 80 minutes... (again!)

*I really disagree with the view that Dack has outgrown us. I think he is popping up at the right times but he isn’t doing what we know he can on the ball. Still a good player at Championship level but his lack of pace would be shown up on the PL.

A bit harsh on Brereton - other than chasing lost causes I struggle to remember what Graham did - oh sorry he fluffed a reasonable chance early in the match (somewhat similar to what Brereton got stick for in a previous match.

We always bring him on when the team are tiring - and the quality of the service he receives is usually awful. Not saying he has played like a £7m player yet - but the give the lad a chance.

• Like 2

Just now, Stuart said:

A goal ?

• Like 2

Liked the Evans-Travis pairing. Evans was a bit clumsy on the penalty (as was Bennett), but a pretty soft and unlucky pen. Dove in for a couple excellently timed tackles otherwise... Travis gave it away a couple times, but he's showing a lot of poise out there. Didn't quite have the touch on some of his forward passes, but really liked that he was looking for them.

Great stuff from Dack. Graham was solid enough (as always), but his occasional scuffs can be frustrating at times. Nothing really to report for Brereton.

Too bad that his legs are so obviously going on him, but I liked Conway's composure on the ball.

Bennett was much better in the 2nd half, but demonstrated again he's really not a RB with a horrid 1st half... glad to see Nyambe's on the mend.

Newcastle generally looked pretty poor. I guess they mostly had a rotated squad, but that looked like a relegation-bound team lacking confidence. Shelvey was the only one who had any PL quality. Sole reason Newcastle was able to turn it on ever so slightly in the final 20 mins or so.

Thought we played quite well really. Too bad an iffy pen took it away from us.

Edited by RoverCanada

Just now, Pedro said:

I'd agree with that. He does the leg work then sends daft passes to the opposition's feet. He kept doing it a couple of games back too (his first start after a while). 

The lad is young ..but looking to play a final ball. And usually a forward . 

Very harsh to pull the lad up.

• Like 3

From the BBC- we were targeting their keeper????? And they weren't looking to stick it on Raya?

'A replay is bad news'

FT: Newcastle 1-1 Blackburn

a81f2b83-7532-4cbd-95e8-7f5d3b8240c1.jpg

Newcastle United

Newcastle manager Rafael Benitez is a fan of VAR, saying 'we need it for every game'.

He added: "We have to take some positives. The reaction of the players was good, they were pushing till the last minutes.

"Some players haven't had a chance to play 90 minutes so it was an opportunity for them to show what they have and I think they worked hard."

Asked if Blackburn targeted goalkeeper Freddie Woodman, he replied: "The referee knows that in the second half, the approach was different.

"I think sometimes we forget the rules when the ball goes into the six-yard box. We had to protect him in the second half.

"A replay is bad news because we have to play another game but we will try to play in the best way possible."

Edited by philipl

4 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

A bit harsh on Brereton - other than chasing lost causes I struggle to remember what Graham did - oh sorry he fluffed a reasonable chance early in the match (somewhat similar to what Brereton got stick for in a previous match.

We always bring him on when the team are tiring - and the quality of the service he receives is usually awful. Not saying he has played like a £7m player yet - but the give the lad a chance.

Brereton doesn’t even chase worthy causes, let alone lost ones.

I really want to see the lad do well but he is looking like a really expensive, younger, slower Chris Brown.

• Like 2

More from Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray on VAR: "I'm for it, as long as they know what's happening. I'm learning as I go and I think everyone else is too. It didn't spoil today's game.

"The hardest thing in football is to score a goal and you have to be right. If it goes in then you have to check it."

Asked if Charlie Mulgrew is trying to score from corners, Mowbray looked deadly serious when he replied: "He's got an amazing left foot and we've worked hard on Charlie trying to score from corners and free-kicks. He's such a talent and hits the target so often that we say 'why don't you shoot more often?'

"It's difficult to stop when you've got a left-footed laser coming in the way it does."

Blackburn manager Tony Mowbray told BBC Sport: "We gave an amazing effort. That's what we give every week. There's a camaraderie amongst the players and we worked hard to get a result.

"I couldn't see Newcastle scoring so the penalty was a blow. It was soft, and I think it was a penalty, but we live to fight another day. It'll be interesting to see what side they play in the replay now.

"It was a great header from Bradley Dack and he worked his socks off. We told the players to test themselves against a Premier League side and Bradley should want to test himself against Premier League footballers.

"He took his goal well and worked really hard today. It's his first season in the Championship and he's bedding in well."

Two things we learnt today

1) Travis is a very good player indeed. Impressed with him. If we could pair him with Reed  the middle we'd have one of the better midfields going in the Championship I think

2) Brereton continues to look utterly useless.  I know it's not kind to say but sadly it's true

I think we have a pretty good squad all told. Just need another quality striker.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

From the BBC- we were targeting their keeper????? And they weren't looking to stick it on Raya?

'A replay is bad news'

FT: Newcastle 1-1 Blackburn

a81f2b83-7532-4cbd-95e8-7f5d3b8240c1.jpg

"A replay is bad news because we have to play another game but we will try to play in the best way possible."

I'm confused. Surely winning is also bad news as that also means another game.

Should have taken the 0-1 you silly silly man.

Edited by Husky

A positive performance. Unlucky not to have scored 4 goals. They had their chances too and the pen is one of those things. I feel we have a very strong 8 and a couple of serviceable players but are now crying out for a week in week out wide player.

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Travis, Reed, Dack and Graham deserve to play every week now for me. Bennett has a role (not at right back!) and Bell is probably the starting left back (for now). Armstong continues to be a 1 good game in 4 type, and we all know Rothwell doesn't start.

Go all out to keep Reed and see if we can find a 90 minute winger from somewhere - can anyone name a realistic LB worth chasing?

No more Smallwood or Williams. Please.

• Like 2