BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

6 minutes ago, doctorryan said:

That was NOT A PENALTY.  That was A DIVE.  The supposedly violating contact is steps before the self-induced stumble.  

Travis was A+.

The real contact was actually exactly when he goes down. There were two points of potential contact to watch for on the replay. The first point, I agree he doesn't touch him. But he leaves a foot in and slightly trips the player, who immediately goes to ground.

Soft, but a penalty. Then again Armstrong got full on shoved in their box when it was going out in the first half, and we got nothing.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I thought Travis was once again brilliant but I think it may be wise to bring him off in the late stages, against West Brom he gave away a pointless foul deep into injury time giving them one last chance to get it in the box and today he gave away a silly free kick and if not for a daft foul by Ritche he would have played them through two on two.

Not a direct criticism just that he’s young and eager and when the energy wanes and the eagerness doesn’t it can lead to mistakes.

I love that he seems to get opponents backs up I’m sure that Shelvey had a little swipe at him today.

Tie the lad down or we’ll lose him!

Another great thing for me now is that with Mulgrew having scored two from corners the opposition will be wary of this, he nearly did it again today and the keepers and defence will never know if it’s going to be attempted or not making them panic.

This last point is going to sound mega critical but has Raya ever saved a penalty for us? A keeper is up against it but I never feel like he’s going to stop one 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Raya, Nyambe, Lenihan, Mulgrew, Travis, Reed, Dack and Graham deserve to play every week now for me. Bennett has a role (not at right back!) and Bell is probably the starting left back (for now). Armstong continues to be a 1 good game in 4 type, and we all know Rothwell doesn't start.

I'd agree with all of that other than Lenihan deserving to start every week. He's been very disapproving this season, too rash. We need a big dominant centre back to marshal the defensive and win some headers when defending set pieces.

1 minute ago, Tom said:

This last point is going to sound mega critical but has Raya ever saved a penalty for us? A keeper is up against it but I never feel like he’s going to stop one 

Incredibly he saved one from Milner in pre season who is an excellent penalty take but he's faced a few this season in competitive football and not gotten close to one really.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Should have won by rights.

Proud of the way we approached the game with guile, bravery, effort and application. Made them look toothless, disjointed and ordinary.

That’s never a pen though - I had a vantage point from around half a mile away at the back of the stand with uber magnifying beer goggles.

Be reyt.

Good day out, decent performance.

Do ‘em at Ewood.

Edited by S8 & Blue

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

He reminds me so much of a young De Gea - and even though he is an insane GK, De Gea is terrible at saving spot kicks!!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

I thought Travis was once again brilliant but I think it may be wise to bring him off in the late stages, against West Brom he gave away a pointless foul deep into injury time giving them one last chance to get it in the box and today he gave away a silly free kick and if not for a daft foul by Ritche he would have played them through two on two.

Not a direct criticism just that he’s young and eager and when the energy wanes and the eagerness doesn’t it can lead to mistakes.

I love that he seems to get opponents backs up I’m sure that Shelvey had a little swipe at him today.

Tie the lad down or we’ll lose him!

Another great thing for me now is that with Mulgrew having scored two from corners the opposition will be wary of this, he nearly did it again today and the keepers and defence will never know if it’s going to be attempted or not making them panic.

This last point is going to sound mega critical but has Raya ever saved a penalty for us? A keeper is up against it but I never feel like he’s going to stop one.

Good point.  For a reflex based keeper, you would have thought he would be pretty good at pens.

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The real contact was actually exactly when he goes down. There were two points of potential contact to watch for on the replay. The first point, I agree he doesn't touch him. But he leaves a foot in and slightly trips the player, who immediately goes to ground.

Soft, but a penalty. Then again Armstrong got full on shoved in their box when it was going out in the first half, and we got nothing.

We'll have to agree to disagree Brucie.  I found it especially interesting how long the ref and the VAR schmuck discussed it before the spot kick was taken.

11 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’ve thought for a while that Raya is going to hold us back, not just from the penalty spot. He flatters to deceive, a good instinctive shot stopper but woeful with his kicking. Not the same kind of keeper but it feels like we have a Filan when we need a Friedel. But I’m probably being greedy.

Mowbray will remain loyal to Raya unless he has starts making clangers on a regular basis or does something really stupid off the field.

1 hour ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Went to VAR so stop moaning - was terrible defending by Evans and we’d be seething if we hadn’t have got it at the other end.

The obligatory late goal strikes again. Time for another for them yet!

I would have been amazed if we had got that.  Not enough for a pen for me, cheat, why was he holding his ear, stay down so long? He did nit decide to flop till he realised be was never catching the ball.  I have no idea how the review can give it either, I have watched it over and iver and still have a hard time seeing contact.

Just now, USABlue said:

I would have been amazed if we had got that.  Not enough for a pen for me, cheat, why was he holding his ear, stay down so long? He did nit decide to flop till he realised be was never catching the ball.  I have no idea how the review can give it either, I have watched it over and iver and still have a hard time seeing contact.

Dozy challenge, only one person to blame and that is Evans.

1 minute ago, USABlue said:

You ain't the only 1 'Blue.

46 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I'd agree with that. He does the leg work then sends daft passes to the opposition's feet. He kept doing it a couple of games back too (his first start after a while). 

In the two games against SUFC and WBA he had something like 90% pass rate so that can't be right. Didn't see the game tonight. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve thought for a while that Raya is going to hold us back, not just from the penalty spot. He flatters to deceive, a good instinctive shot stopper but woeful with his kicking. Not the same kind of keeper but it feels like we have a Filan when we need a Friedel. But I’m probably being greedy.

Mowbray will remain loyal to Raya unless he has starts making clangers on a regular basis or does something really stupid off the field.

Youre right on his distribution ..can be better but in general he s pretty decent and will only get better. Have nt seen many opposition keepers looking head n shoulders above him this season down at Ewood.

Although you did think this week Man city could do with a new keeper after the City v Liverpool game ?!!! Can we have Ederson please ….pleaseeeeee!!

• Like 1

I watched the game on the Bet365 app. No commentary but you could really hear the crowd reactions. The 3,000 were magnificent tonight. The support really lifted the team. 

I thought the lads played with so much confidence. Travis is an absolute diamond. A special mention to Conway whose “legs have gone” for playing so well! Graham is a real professional. Dack’s goal was a training ground bonus but sorry I don’t think he’s ready for the top flight just yet.

It was difficult to tell which was the Premiership side tonight. 

Great to see Mark Venus tonight after his recent bereavement.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

In the two games against SUFC and WBA he had something like 90% pass rate so that can't be right. Didn't see the game tonight. 

Heck we were playing Premier League opponents so closing down, positioning and mobility were of a different level. Yes Travis had a magnificent pass completion rate v Sheff U and WBA of 85% I think it was. But I'd be very surprised if he was at less than 70% tonight.

Oh and Stewart and HowieFiveOh, Raya's kicking and distribution in general are hugely improved this season as is his aerial handling and positioning for catches and punches. I feel very secure with Raya between the sticks and know he is likely to get much better yet.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

But it was Evans who tripped Perez for the penalty. Brereton did nothing but he’s not to blame for that.

That's what I was thinking but hey who cares.  An away draw at a Premier League team and we are ridiculing the manager.  Come on folks YET AGAIN an individual mistake (coupled with two very very questionable decisions) has cost us.  Not.Mowbary's fault at all.  Sorry but everytime I watch Armstrong I like him less.  I'd rather shoehorn Rothwell or Palmer meself.

58 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Radio Newcastle saying Travis kept giving ball away

Travis plays a high risk/high reward forward passing game (much like Tugay used to do - many experts on here called it tugay's imaginary friend).

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, doctorryan said:

We'll have to agree to disagree Brucie.  I found it especially interesting how long the ref and the VAR schmuck discussed it before the spot kick was taken.

They did, Ryanie, I even thought he was about to change the decision as the guy was running up, like in the Burnley game. But I think he was just gesturing for Raya to stay on his line.

1 minute ago, toogs said:

Travis plays a high risk/high reward forward passing game (much like Tugay used to do - many experts on here called it tugay's imaginary friend).

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

They called it that because, for pretty much an entire season (might have been half a season, can't recall), Tugay played an excessive amount of passes to absolutely nobody and it was amazing he stayed in the team at that time. For a long patch he was poor. Then he got his act together and was sublime. You have to accept the odd stray pass, it's all a question of consistency.