BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If I can stray for a moment from the Brereton/Mowbray blame game, Shelvey coming on was the much more obvious game-changer; he ran the game, almost scored two headers and gave them a much more dangerous look. 

Mowbary must have asked Benitez to bring Shelvey on so it's his fault.  

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

They did, Ryanie, I even thought he was about to change the decision as the guy was running up, like in the Burnley game. But I think he was just gesturing for Raya to stay on his line.

The gesturing to Raya was after the discussing part Brucie. Like I said, we disagree.  In the record books it will always be a penalty, but it was a bad call, period, end of.......ta ta.

1 minute ago, doctorryan said:

The gesturing to Raya was after the discussing part Brucie. Like I said, we disagree.  In the record books it will always be a penalty, but it was a bad call, period, end of.......ta ta.

You've completely misread what I was saying in my last reply. Don't sweat it.

45 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The real contact was actually exactly when he goes down. There were two points of potential contact to watch for on the replay. The first point, I agree he doesn't touch him. But he leaves a foot in and slightly trips the player, who immediately goes to ground.

Soft, but a penalty. Then again Armstrong got full on shoved in their box when it was going out in the first half, and we got nothing.

No no no.  No it was nit he was clear of Evans by at least a step before he decided to drop to the ground.  He felt the  contact, kept going then realized he could not do anything with the ball and went down like a sack of spuds.  Stayed down like he was in agony, started clutching his ear.  Ludicrous decisions.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Well ..if Mowbray was as bad as some portray on here then you d think we d be getting tonked from the first whistle ??

Most games don't feature a team two or three down at half time. Anyway, we all know we are a team who do solidly in the first half and capitulate in the last 20 minutes. Credit to us doing well defensively in the first 70, but we have to stop crumbling at the end. Sometimes it is Mowbray's fault, sometimes it is individual players, sometimes it is sheer bad luck or the opposition doing well, but overall it is something we need to and must work on. I feel today's comes under the bad luck category personally. Solid result though today.

48 minutes ago, Tom said:

I thought Travis was once again brilliant but I think it may be wise to bring him off in the late stages, against West Brom he gave away a pointless foul deep into injury time giving them one last chance to get it in the box and today he gave away a silly free kick and if not for a daft foul by Ritche he would have played them through two on two.

Not a direct criticism just that he’s young and eager and when the energy wanes and the eagerness doesn’t it can lead to mistakes.

I love that he seems to get opponents backs up I’m sure that Shelvey had a little swipe at him today.

Tie the lad down or we’ll lose him!

Another great thing for me now is that with Mulgrew having scored two from corners the opposition will be wary of this, he nearly did it again today and the keepers and defence will never know if it’s going to be attempted or not making them panic.

This last point is going to sound mega critical but has Raya ever saved a penalty for us? A keeper is up against it but I never feel like he’s going to stop one 

I don't remember him saving one and he seems to go the wrong way a lot and early too.  I think he saved a couple for Southport or something, in the same game maybe?

3 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Never 2 or 3 up either. Which with the defensive frailties they need to be.

Wont disagree with the defensive frailties but for most games  we do put ourselves into  a winning position. Sort out the silly late mistakes and we wont be far off.

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Most games don't feature a team two or three down at half time. Anyway, we all know we are a team who do solidly in the first half and capitulate in the last 20 minutes. Credit to us doing well defensively in the first 70, but we have to stop crumbling at the end. Sometimes it is Mowbray's fault, sometimes it is individual players, sometimes it is sheer bad luck or the opposition doing well, but overall it is something we need to and must work on. I feel today's comes under the bad luck category personally. Solid result though today.

Good post ..answered in one .

26 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Youre right on his distribution ..can be better but in general he s pretty decent and will only get better. Have nt seen many opposition keepers looking head n shoulders above him this season down at Ewood.

Although you did think this week Man city could do with a new keeper after the City v Liverpool game ?!!! Can we have Ederson please ….pleaseeeeee!!

Ederson was all over the place with his indecision. I stand by my comments. :lol: Besides, it’s all relative. City want to win the Champions League, we want promotion. Horses for courses.

You are only looking at other Championship players though. Freidel was playing in Turkey.

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

No no no.  No it was nit he was clear of Evans by at least a step before he decided to drop to the ground.  He felt the  contact, kept going then realized he could not do anything with the ball and went down like a sack of spuds.  Stayed down like he was in agony, started clutching his ear.  Ludicrous decisions.

You're obviously very irate about it, but I watched it very carefully and he definitely caught him with his foot after the initial contact-which-wasn't, at which point the lad went down. I don't know which one the officials gave it for, and it doesn't matter what play-acting happened after (as pathetic as it is to clutch his ear). Overall I do think it was a penalty, but soft. I feel the best argument for it not being one is actually that he seemed to have lost the ball already, but you can be penalised for an off-the-ball foul anyway. I also think there is an inconsistency from the ref in that he didn't give us one when Armstrong was shoved off the ball at the byline.

3 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I don't remember him saving one and he seems to go the wrong way a lot and early too.  I think he saved a couple for Southport or something, in the same game maybe?

He went the right way against WBA, and wasn't too far off. I couldn't fault him on that one. I agree I tend to feel every penalty is going in though. Think you're right about him saving a penalty or maybe two on loan at Southport.

36 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I’ve thought for a while that Raya is going to hold us back, not just from the penalty spot. He flatters to deceive, a good instinctive shot stopper but woeful with his kicking. Not the same kind of keeper but it feels like we have a Filan when we need a Friedel. But I’m probably being greedy.

Mowbray will remain loyal to Raya unless he has starts making clangers on a regular basis or does something really stupid off the field.

His kicking is woeful.  He is a worry but can pull off some remarkable saves but just as easily drop a howler.  Him failing to hold a routine low shot today would have cost us but for a last ditch challenge.  Overall I think he can be a good un BUT my heart is in me mouth everytime he has time to make a decision, even back passes scare the b-jesus outta me.  Slow high crosses and I can barely watch.

Just now, Stuart said:

Ederson was all over the place with his indecision. I stand by my comments. :lol: Besides, it’s all relative. City want to win the Champions League, we want promotion. Horses for courses.

You are only looking at other Championship players though. Freidel was playing in Turkey.

Ederson is a class keeper imo.

I,m just comparing to keepers in the Championship..and hes no worse by a long chalk.

Get to the Premier League and then we may start looking at keepers from Turkey ..?..As long as its not Karius !

12 minutes ago, Riversider28 said:

All the posters on here blaming Brereton for the Geordies getting their equaliser ought to be ashamed of themselves. The lad is now a full time player and we need to support him, not slagging him off at every opportunity. Get a grip and stop all this negativity and realise we are still in a transition period. Most supporters would be happy with a draw away to a Premiership side, just get behind the team and support ALL the players in future. 

I may have missed them, but who has blamed Brereton for us losing the lead? People have commented on his cameo, which again was underwhelming, either you have added that and us conceding together incorrectly, or I have missed posts saying "its Breretons fault we didnt win" in which case I apologise.

The support the team rubbish that is often peddled in defence of him is getting tiresome. We are on an internet messageboard. Its neither supportive or not to either praise or criticise a player on a platform such as this. And in the ground the team is always supported. 

The general theme is that people would have taken a replay but are dissapointed at the lateness and manner of the equaliser. If you choose to misconstrue that, purposely or otherwise then thats up to you.

12 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Well ..if Mowbray was as bad as some portray on here then you d think we d be getting tonked from the first whistle ??

People have only said that if you take the valid criticism that it is worrying how often we throw away leads out of context.

Criticising this recurring theme that keeps costing us wins is not saying how bad Mowbray is.

• Like 6

35 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. Kid is a class act. Can’t believe how at home he looks! 

I loved the through pass for Dacky that Bradley should have done better with.  Evans or Smallwood would have stopped then gone sideways or backwards. Love this kid.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toogs said:

Travis plays a high risk/high reward forward passing game (much like Tugay used to do - many experts on here called it tugay's imaginary friend).

You can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.

Never heard that one, I like it and will be stealing it.

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I thought Travis was once again brilliant but I think it may be wise to bring him off in the late stages, against West Brom he gave away a pointless foul deep into injury time giving them one last chance to get it in the box and today he gave away a silly free kick and if not for a daft foul by Ritche he would have played them through two on two.

Not a direct criticism just that he’s young and eager and when the energy wanes and the eagerness doesn’t it can lead to mistakes.

I love that he seems to get opponents backs up I’m sure that Shelvey had a little swipe at him today.

Tie the lad down or we’ll lose him!

Another great thing for me now is that with Mulgrew having scored two from corners the opposition will be wary of this, he nearly did it again today and the keepers and defence will never know if it’s going to be attempted or not making them panic.

This last point is going to sound mega critical but has Raya ever saved a penalty for us? A keeper is up against it but I never feel like he’s going to stop one 

Yeah I like that about Travis, he gets under the oppositions skin.

• Like 1