BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

Thought it was a good performance against a disjointed Newcastle with very little quality in it.

Dack and Graham are a reliable fulcrum of goals and our obvious quality in the team; Dacks header was superb from a very good Bennett delivery and the 2 are critical to our chances.

Travis was again very good in midfield, tenacious and composed with more risks in his passing, although not all came off. Evans was good alongside him up to his indiscretion that cost us a penalty, a very needless flail of his leg.

Conway was industrious but Armstrong was very poor and didnt offer a threat at all.

Mulgrew was a rock with some superb deliveries and almost a brilliant acrobatic goal, and Lenihan again was much improved alongside him.

Thought Bennett was a liability one again at full back, he cannot play that position quite simply. His cross was superb though as said previously. Bell was not that much better on the left, full back is a really problematic position for us at the moment and needs addressing in the window.

Raya as people have pointed out seems never to save a penalty, his kicking was again poor and he spilled one but he made a couple of solid saves.

Subs wise, Reed fitted in without excelling, Williams was a very strange sub and Brereton again didnt do anything but his ducking for aeriel duels is rather annoying.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You're obviously very irate about it, but I watched it very carefully and he definitely caught him with his foot after the initial contact-which-wasn't, at which point the lad went down. I don't know which one the officials gave it for, and it doesn't matter what play-acting happened after (as pathetic as it is to clutch his ear). Overall I do think it was a penalty, but soft. I feel the best argument for it not being one is actually that he seemed to have lost the ball already, but you can be penalised for an off-the-ball foul anyway. I also think there is an inconsistency from the ref in that he didn't give us one when Armstrong was shoved off the ball at the byline.

I am more than irate as I was 100% confident that Var would overturn it.  I watched it over and over too.  I am not saying Evans did not touch him but contact was minimal the touch(es) did not even affect his footing.  The lad had already flopped once for a freekick and Evans should have been more careful.  I get more and more disgusted with the traits of this "modern" game.  Sporting behaviour has all but disappered.  I had the wife watch a  game.from the 70's with me, she's only been into footie since she met me.  I asked her what she seen that is different.  Shorts are shorter, field is muddyier, annnnd tackles look really  hard, players get right back up and no one  is having a go at the ref.  Surely we ALL miss some of that.  As for the pen Youll see those not given time and time again.  Your opinion is different, same as the only one that matters.  I was amazed they even sent Graham's "handball" to VAR but I was expecting that to be given.  No yellow card for the 2nd flop and attempt to cheat for a pen blew me mind also.  It's a crying shame as I thought we did reasonably well.  I suppose at least we will have a bit more money in our coffers now though.  Decent game and I have already mentioned our fans were loud and proud.

Can someone share the lyrics for the sloop john b song that ends we are Blackburn Rovers we're in our way back.

Travis was  fantastic, Armstrong needs to learn to be a team player and to play to his strengths.

I am not a fan at all of the fannying around at the back, long distance backwards and sideways passing, bringing Raya into this tactic scares the crap out of me everytime.  It also seems like when we do that and Raya ends up booting it the ball goes into touch or right to one of theirs.  Bell is a buggar for going back from almost halfway instead of forward.  Bennet almost had us in trouble twice doing it, get the friggin ball in their half, they can't.score from there.  Well we DID hold on and not lose, two games in a row we have scored then conceded a penalty, we did it against Big Club too, we really need to stamp out these charitable donations.  Overall pleased with our efforts today.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, david brent said:

I haven’t read anybody blaming Brereton for surrendering the lead. However I have read a few quite rightly querying his application when he came on. 

For the record I have been sticking up for brereton in public, I’d never have a go at him in the ground and I cringe seeing a couple of morons making comments about his transfer fee on his twitter feed after he signed.

Indeed i really want him to come good and take positives when Graham describes him as his protege and is mentoring him.

However he was invisible when he came on and I’m entitled to voice that on here in private with fellow Rovers fans; it makes no odds as Brereton won’t read it. He should have been chomping at the bit; he has just signed permanently, glowing comments from Mowbray, coming on at St James Park etc. All he had to do was put himself about for 10 minutes as one would expect from a 19 year old keen to make an impression. Instead he was off the pace, blowing out of his backside and not challenging for anything.

If he had reacted as one would expect from a sprightly 19 year old he would have been through on goal from an underhit backpass. I also accept the service to him was poor and desperate; but he should at least try and win a header! He is 6 foot plus and a striker; isn’t that what tall strikers are meant to do? He ducked a couple of times whilst ‘going up’ for the ball.

Evans will cop the blame for giving the penalty away but he has put himself about as much as any other player this season and at times during this game he was very influential. 

I really want Brereton to come good but at some point he is going to have to put a shift in, do a bit of the ugly work and hopefully it will lead to a goal and fans getting onside. 

Great post.

1 hour ago, West Yorks Rover said:

From BBC.

Man of the match - Lewis Travis - Blackburn

Lewis Travis 21, was brilliant in Blackburn's midfield, winning possession 9 times against the

Premier League team, more than any other Blackburn player.

Mowbray please read this!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

His kicking is woeful.  He is a worry but can pull off some remarkable saves but just as easily drop a howler.  Him failing to hold a routine low shot today would have cost us but for a last ditch challenge.  Overall I think he can be a good un BUT my heart is in me mouth everytime he has time to make a decision, even back passes scare the b-jesus outta me.  Slow high crosses and I can barely watch.

You have to see the bigger picture with young keepers, ala De Gea. He is a natural shot stopper, athletic, agile. The rest is mentality and will come. He will be a top keeper imo. 

Edited by danger19_80
  • Like 5

The downer was how comfortable it all was up to the pen. As my son said after the match if the goals had come the other way round and we'd equalised late on wed have been coming away from the ground buzzing. Instead we came away feeling disappointed not to have held on. 

4 hours ago, Stuart said:

Brereton doesn’t even chase worthy causes, let alone lost ones.

I really want to see the lad do well but he is looking like a really expensive, younger, slower Chris Brown.

He jumps away from headers, chases nothing , lazy, effortless, his first touch is appalling, constantly offside and out of position. 

7 million or not this lad needs putting in the u23s and to win a place over nuttall there before going on loan before he destroys any potential he has because to put it bluntly he isn't ready for mens football

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 4

I thought we played superb today and it hurts we didn't take the win. Travis is everything we need in the middle. Yes he gives the ball away sometimes but he is very confident for such a young lad. His work rate and effort are exceptional and when he wins the ball back his first thought is how can I start an attack. He was always looking for the forward pass whilst being mature enough to not give away possession in dangerous areas. If anyone should be given the potential tag it's this lad because he has all the signs of becoming a very accomplished midfielder. 

For such an inexperienced player he isn't afraid to take responsibility. A leader in the making

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 6

On reflection, it was a good result away at Newcastle. It's just frustrating to be the better side and yet lose a lead again through our own making. 

It's worth remembering that Joselu and Kenedy alone moved for almost £12million between them in their last transfers. They may have made changes but they weren't putting all their youth side in.

Travis is proving.to be a diamond in midfield. I thought the whole team closed down better than we were doing last month. Same again in the replay and we have a cracking chance of going through to a next round which will feature Burnley, Bolton,  Stanley and maybe Preston in the draw as well as all the big guns.

Hope Rovers keep the prices sensible for the replay. 

Edited by Hasta

Travis MOM again, like a new signing this kid. Talk of loaning him out should be well out of the window now and should be one of the first names on the team sheet each week. Such potential and already so good now - kids gonna have a great career.

• Like 3

Thought for most parts of the game we looked in full control. Just like the West Brom game it was only a penalty that was scored against us. Really proud of the boys yesterday. Travis gets better and better each week. Give him a 10 year contract and let him choose his wage. Dack yet again showed his class and Charlie at set pieces is second to nobody in this country. 

Fancy us to win the replay 2-1 and hopefully draw The Dingles at Ewood in round 4.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hasta said:

On reflection, it was a good result away at Newcastle. It's just frustrating to be the better side and yet lose a lead again through our own making. 

It's worth remembering that Joselu and Kenedy alone moved for almost £12million between them in their last transfers. They may have made changes but they weren't putting all their youth side in.

Travis is proving.to be a diamond in midfield. I thought the whole team closed down better than we were doing last month. Same again in the replay and we have a cracking chance of going through to a next round which will feature Burnley, Bolton,  Stanley and maybe Preston in the draw as well as all the big guns.

Rovers keep the prices sensible for the replay. 

Not many draws yesterday , could well be on box !!!

Looking at the fixtures so far and still to play. Unless both Man City and Liverpool draw, we will definitely be on TV for the replay, perhaps even the BBC.

So, tickets MUST be £10 to even attract a modest crowd.  If Waggott’s eyes light up and he tries to charge league match prices for a  ‘mouthwatering tie against Premier League giants’ we could be looking at a near empty ground for the nation to see.

Edited by Mattyblue

15 quid all lower tiers, 20 quid upstairs and aim for 20k crowd including the barcodes otherwise it might be a tad embarrassing charging league prices for a live tv game.

This is a great exercise for them to use what's between theirs ears and come up with something rather than just salivate at filling it up with away fans and fleecing them.

Help the home fans, help the team and sod the visitors you want it as uncomfortable as possible for them.

11 hours ago, USABlue said:

Can someone share the lyrics for the sloop john b song that ends we are Blackburn Rovers we're in our way back.

Mowbray had a dream

To build a football team

He had no money* so he signed some players on loan

Mulgrew at the back

And Dack in attack

We’re Blackburn Rovers

We’re on our way back**

*Plus a few quid for young strikers

**it often feels like we already ARE back

Decent performance and good result. We dominated the ball for long spells which is something we haven't done too much in the Championship. I fancied a draw before the game and to get them back to Ewood should boost the coffers IF Rovers are sensible about pricing. The should reciprocate on the Newcastle prices at £10 and £5 but I have a feeling they won't. I also think they might close the Riverside and pack the Blackburn End and Jack Walker. I think it's fair to say that most will be disappointed if that happens.

8 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

£15/£20 won’t see more than 5/6k home fans for a midweek January game on free to air TV.

I'd go ten quid but i'm looking for some middle ground because they'll baulk at the prospect of missing out on 25 quid plus from at least 5 thousand Geordies.

To be honest i'd probably leave the Riverside closed for this if they aren't doing real cheap tickets depending on which TV mob cover it if they do and where the cameras will be.

4 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Depends if Waggott is still in Coventry mode or if he’s worked out east Lancs yet.

Sadly I think he has Matty and he prefers the c10k home fans and as many big city away fans as possible at full whack model over anything else !

For 80 minutes Mowbray got it spot on and the likes of Mulgrew, Lenihan, Travis & Dack were on top form. Evans started the game well off the pace and by dallying on the ball we were almost undone early on but Raya showed off his impressive reflexes. Newcastle play at a ridiculously slow tempo which played into our hands and we deservedly led with a superb Bennett cross and a Dack bullet header. Let's make this clear, he is not a playmaking number 10, he is a second striker and a brilliant one at that! Shelvey made a difference when he came on and some naivity by Evans plus some questionable subs meant we had to settle for a replay. 

The stars of the show were Dack and Travis but plenty of others impressed in what could have been a difficult game. Travis has the energy that Evans and Smallwood don't have but also more nous, forward thinking and leadership qualities. He was constantly instructing players 5/10 years his senior where to position themselves to help stop Newcastle attacks mounting to anything. Dack was a menace as he often is when he has the stage to impress and he took his header like a prime Tim Cahill. The game proved again, for me, that Evans is just an average Championship midfielder. Sure he will do a job and is effective against lesser teams but if we have any ambition the likes of him and Derrick Williams should be nowhere near the starting 11. It's time for Mowbray to get a bit more ruthless to help us progress further in the next 18 month's. Travis and Reed can become a formidable midfield pairing and I just hope Mowbray can see that. 

Replay Prediction: 1-0 Mulgrew

• Like 2