BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers at the Toon FA Cup 3rd Round: Saturday 5th January 2019 - 5.30pm

44 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd get either Joe Hart 

Is it April 1st already?

I'm very much a fan of Raya on the whole but he needs to know blunders like the one he made tonight aren't acceptable. If he wasn't confident about catching it, all he had to do was pat it down in front of him. Not lose concentration and let the ball bounce off him to the striker.

Maybe being benched for two or three games might be the kick up the backside he needs.

7 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

All the dross we have in our squad yet you save the majority of your criticism for one of our best players. Faded completely? Did you miss it when he chested the ball down and then played a lovely ball into Conway who nodded down to Dack who should have put us in front.  

You say that you never know if he's going to be available which is a strange comment as only Raya has played more league games than him this season and in all competitions only Raya and Armstrong have played more. As for you never know if he's going to be on his game well you can probably say that for every player in the Championship.

Yes but he's had very few decent games. As for tonight the lay off to Dack was his only contribution in 75 mins of the second half and extra time. You need a lot more than that and he should have made way on the hour mark with Armstrong who was doing ok moving more central.

1 hour ago, blueboy3333 said:

It was definitely 3 centre halves with Bennett LWB and Reed RWB. 

That's the way it looked to me and unsurprisingly it didn't work at all with everyone apart from Lenihan being out of position.

It was a fairly bizarre effort even by Tinkerman Tony's standards.

15 minutes ago, bazza said:

Would you like Mowbray to sign your grandma then?

Seriously though, I'm not too disappointed about tonight. I think we would have been embarrassed by Watford. Roll on Saturday.

The point was Brereton is so weak, he needs to spend the summer in the gym. It’s early days yet but the kid needs to improve a hell of a lot from what I’ve seen.. I’m not too disappointed about tonight either, we were probably the better side and we were always going to be vulnerable with that defence. Show the same application and effort on Saturday we should beat Ipswich. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Yes but he's had very few decent games. As for tonight the lay off to Dack was his only contribution in 75 mins of the second half and extra time. You need a lot more than that and he should have made way on the hour mark with Armstrong who was doing ok moving more central.

It would have been a rather key contribution though had Dack scored, no one else in our team is capable of doing. He also dropped deep put the ball into the box that that led to  Brereton firing out for a throw not to mention the numerous balls he won. As for 'he's had very few decent games' I just can't agree he's been one of our top and most consistent performers this season and we look a much poorer side when he's not on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

True enough, although in his defence the 2 winning goals went in after he was brought off!

Richie was a candidate for MoM today, and whilst Travis has easily done enough to keep his jersey, Smallwood has shown that reports of his uselessness have been exaggerated!

Footballers play in shirts; rugby players play in jerseys

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Graham showed exactly why he shouldn't have got a new contract. Great for 45 mins then faded out of the game completely.

You never know 

a) If he's going to be available or 

b ) if he is if he is going to be on his game and

c) if he is whether he can last 45, 60 or 90 mins etc.

Give it a rest Simon. We know he's run off with your wife

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doaksie said:

Newcastle following milking this like they've achieved something. They're playing a lower league team, and yet it's oles with an extra time victory and 2 offside goals. Hope they go down.

I agree. In the past I had a bit of empathy for their fans in their current situation with the owner but to sing songs tonight about empty seats and poor support on our side were pathetic. Didn’t we take more fans to their place than they brought tonight?

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Enjoyable game.

Premier League class won through but we could have nicked it.

When you look at our injured and ill list we were 7 or 8 players down.

Disagree there is nothing to play for- only 6 points off 6th means there is plenty to play for. Should be a fun last 19 games.

Bob on that pal. 

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We did well to get back to 2-2 but once we were level we were extremely disappointing. Never showed the drive or desire needed to win the game.

So ended up soundly humiliated by Newcastle's reserves. Season over, roll on August by which time Derek, Corey, Richie, Elliott, Craig and Danny will no doubt have new five year extensions to their extensions.....

Hmm Newcastle’s reserves who according to Sutty on the commentary were worth £50m!

Edited by old darwen blue

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Damn. Busted.

People also used to say the same thing about Jason Lowe before they finally realised he wasn't up to it either.

?

If Jason Lowe managed to run off with anyone's wife, he would only have passed her back.

Sideways, at best.

Somebody call the police as we have just witnessed a robbery! Chief suspect Lee Propert and his two bandits! Bizarre match that. Going 2-0 down early doors to then claw our way back into it.  Play the toon off the pitch (perhaps slight exaggeration) in the 2nd half, then concede two goals in quick succession (same old story... focus for crying out loud). For once I was hoping for penalties. Ah well. Cup run was fun... One plus for me is the continued bit of form for Armstrong. Travis looking the part week by week. Need some new bodies around the place. Raya needs someone breathing down his neck, defense needs a revamp. Wingers... we need wingers. I would even give Gladwin another crack! Thoughts from the gaffa and more. 

6 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

"It wasn’t until this afternoon that we knew we’d play with three at the back, with Rodwell and Downing being ill and not being able to make it, as well as [Charlie] Mulgrew and [Derrick] Williams being injured.

“We were left with one centre half and had to concoct a defence.

- Horses mouth

It’s still Mowbray’s fault for not getting a cb in in the Summer.

However, in the past he has slotted Smallwood in there and he has done a job. At time last night it wasn’t clear if Bell was the cb or Nyambe and I’m not sure the players knew either!

He could have played Reed centrally and Conway out wide. There were certainly better options to cover Smallwood than cover Mulgrew. I also don’t believe that Downing is ill.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, @roverseas said:

Somebody call the police as we have just witnessed a robbery! Chief suspect Lee Propert and his two bandits! Bizarre match that. Going 2-0 down early doors to then claw our way back into it.  Play the toon off the pitch (perhaps slight exaggeration) in the 2nd half, then concede two goals in quick succession (same old story... focus for crying out loud). For once I was hoping for penalties. Ah well. Cup run was fun... One plus for me is the continued bit of form for Armstrong. Travis looking the part week by week. Need some new bodies around the place. Raya needs someone breathing down his neck, defense needs a revamp. Wingers... we need wingers. I would even give Gladwin another crack! Thoughts from the gaffa and more. 

cup run? 1 game and a replay? does that qualify as a run?!

anyway bring back the 2nd replay!

6 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is it April 1st already?

I'm very much a fan of Raya on the whole but he needs to know blunders like the one he made tonight aren't acceptable. If he wasn't confident about catching it, all he had to do was pat it down in front of him. Not lose concentration and let the ball bounce off him to the striker.

Maybe being benched for two or three games might be the kick up the backside he needs.

Was right in line with that shot it was moving all over the place Raya did well to get something on it the way it dipped and swerved at the last second in particular

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bell was poor first half but had a really good second half. Brereton looks short on confidence and who can blame him after on start in his proper position in half a season. Still thought we looked more threatning with him on the right than Conway though. Agree on Bennett.

Graham showed exactly why he shouldn't have got a new contract. Great for 45 mins then faded out of the game completely.

You never know 

a) If he's going to be available or 

b ) if he is if he is going to be on his game and

c) if he is whether he can last 45, 60 or 90 mins etc.

Bell was poor all match. His distribution and crossing are dreadful. It's no wonder the team are always knackered near the end when they expend a lot of energy trying to get the ball back after the likes of Bell have given it away cheaply. Graham is one of those who works his arse off trying to get the ball back.

BB is just a poor footballer and for a lad his size he's also incredibly weak. He could do to spend hours watching how a quality footballer like Graham looks after the ball. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd get either Joe Hart or that lad from Leeds who is about to be demoted for a goalie from real Madrid.  Both are an improvement on Raya....he's screwed up too many times for me...out on loan to L1

I'm very sorry to be 'that guy' but you evidently don't watch Championship football if this is a genuine suggestion. He's absolutely shite.

Raya is always going to make blunders he's one of those keepers a good reflex man but not a good decision maker but he'll still earn more points than he chucks away so to speak.

Tim Flowers when asked about what it takes to be a top keeper replied along the lines of it's all about minimising mistakes and doing the basics right week in week out not the tipping over the bar from the top corner then dropping the next cross.

The best thing right now about Raya is he's NOT Jason Steele !  

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

Travis is a machine!! Why the lad hasn't had more game time is beyond me. The duo of Evans & Smallwood does not work!! Would like to see a Reed & Travis partnership in the middle, both a step up from the other two.

One thing that got me was that, if Dack didn't start, why not stick Rothwell in the number 10 role? See what he can do in his natural position? We all know the lads got talent! The more Mowbray leave him out the less interested he will be. Hope we don't loose him!

Edited by LA1Rovers
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, LA1Rovers said:

Travis is a machine!! Why the lad hasn't had more game time is beyond me. The duo of Evans & Smallwood does not work!! Would like to see a Reed & Travis partnership in the middle, both a step up from the other two.

One thing that got me was that, if Dack didn't start, why not stick Rothwell in the number 10 role? See what he can do in his natural position? We all know the lads got talent! The more Mowbray leave him out the less interested he will be. Hope we don't loose him!

How good is Lewis Travis! Definitely first choice CM for the time being anyway....