BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall away Saturday 12th Jan kick off 17.30

This coming weekend Rovers are literally going into the Lions Den as we take on Millwall. I believe that pound for pound the New Den is the most hostile ground in the country which can be daunting for officials, players and visiting supporters.

Millwall were formed in 1885 and contrary to rumour not by London Dockers but the workers of J. T. Morton's canning and preserve factory in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in London's East End. Strangely enough their original name was Millwall Rovers. They moved to the Den (the Cold Blow Lane one) in 1910 where they stayed until 1993 when they moved to the New Den and have been there ever since. It has often been said that Millwall is one of the most difficult clubs to play for as their predominantly working class fan base won't accept fancy dans and shirkers as epitomised by club legends such as Barry Kitchener,Terry Hurlock, Harry Cripps and current manager Neil Harris who was nicknamed Chopper after the Chelsea legend Ron. Neil Harris sums up really what Millwall are about. As a player he was totally committed and always gave his all. He could play hard if he had to and leave a foot in. His management style replicates this as he can be aggressive in the technical area. 

I actually refereed at the New Den several times and found the staff behind the scenes to be friendly and hospitable which completely belied the image generally portrayed by the media. Crossing the white line though was like going into a different world as the hostility was prevalent whenever as decision went against them. Fortunately every game I refereed there was a home win so I escaped relatively unscathed.

Rovers record against Millwall is quite good with 20 wins, 11 losses and 10 defeats in all competitions. Saturday will be difficult to predict so I'm sitting on the fence and going for a draw. As it's live on Sky there is an opportunity for everyone to see it but to the fellow Rovers travelling down have a safe journey and hopefully a celebratory trip back.

Although I don't want them to score any goals if they do listen for the song below which I believe is the best football club song ever. It kind of sums up what Millwall is all about.

Let 'em all come down the the Den indeed!

• Like 8

Millwall have turned a corner over Christmas, won something like 4 on the bounce and turned it around to knock Hull out of the Cup last week. Prior to that they were looking like relegation was likely.

A limited side without much quality but they'll be direct, physical and fight for everything. The Den is never an easy place to go, I recall when we were there under Bowyer's management on a Tuesday night and were 2-0 up against 10 men, their supporters were wound up with the red card and they ended up getting it back to 2-2. An intimidating atmosphere and their players rose to it whilst we crumbled to it. Not a place for shrinking violets or weak characters, need to be able to dig in and deal with the atmosphere.

We really need something from this, our record against the lesser lights is unimpressive and I don't yet subscribe to the theory that we're safe with nothing to play for. Another 10 points asap and i'll look at relaxing. A defeat and it is 4 in 5 league games.

We're still Smallwood-less with his last match of his ban to come so I'd expect more or less the same team as WBA, though I was concerned by Mowbray's comments on Mulgrew following Newcastle and hope there's nothing to worry about there.

I see we've sold over 600 tickets so far with a few days of sales to come, which is quite decent considering its on TV and the away games we've had recently.

Edited by JHRover

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

This coming weekend Rovers are literally going into the Lions Den as we take on Millwall. I believe that pound for pound the New Den is the most hostile ground in the country which can be daunting for officials, players and visiting supporters.

Millwall were formed in 1885 and contrary to rumour not by London Dockers but the workers of J. T. Morton's canning and preserve factory in the Millwall area of the Isle of Dogs in London's East End. Strangely enough their original name was Millwall Rovers. They moved to the Den (the Cold Blow Lane one) in 1910 where they stayed until 1993 when they moved to the New Den and have been there ever since. It has often been said that Millwall is one of the most difficult clubs to play for as their predominantly working class fan base won't accept fancy dans and shirkers as epitomised by club legends such as Barry Kitchener,Terry Hurlock, Harry Cripps and current manager Neil Harris who was nicknamed Chopper after the Chelsea legend Ron. Neil Harris sums up really what Millwall are about. As a player he was totally committed and always gave his all. He could play hard if he had to and leave a foot in. His management style replicates this as he can be aggressive in the technical area. 

I actually refereed at the New Den several times and found the staff behind the scenes to be friendly and hospitable which completely belied the image generally portrayed by the media. Crossing the white line though was like going into a different world as the hostility was prevalent whenever as decision went against them. Fortunately every game I refereed there was a home win so I escaped relatively unscathed.

Rovers record against Millwall is quite good with 20 wins, 11 losses and 10 defeats in all competitions. Saturday will be difficult to predict so I'm sitting on the fence and going for a draw. As it's live on Sky there is an opportunity for everyone to see it but to the fellow Rovers travelling down have a safe journey and hopefully a celebratory trip back.

Although I don't want them to score any goals if they do listen for the song below which I believe is the best football club song ever. It kind of sums up what Millwall is all about.

Let 'em all come down the the Den indeed!

OMG! Even worse than "Ee by gum, we'll make it a day!"

• Like 1

• J*B pinned this topic

Looking forward to this but with trepidation as I've never seen us win down there. Millwall are in excellent form and if any of our players are intimidated about playing there we'll get stuffed.

The New Den with its segregated away end and separate path from the railway station is nothing like as frightening as the old Den. I remember my first visit circa 1971 and I've never encountered such a hostile crowd,  particularly towards the referee. The old dockers down there didn't like authority. Rovers lost, former Chelsea player Barry Bridges scoring for Millwall IIRC. 

The old ground in the middle of the railway triangle was a disgrace and wouldn't be allowed these days. The terraces were crumbling (literally) with lumps of concrete lying about that could be used as ammunition. Not a place for the faint hearted

Hoping for a draw at best. 

10 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

OMG! Even worse than "Ee by gum, we'll make it a day!"

Not quite as bad Leonard. The Millwall one is Chas and Daveesque but it grows on you. They play the chorus after goals and the word Den becomes Deeeeeeeeeeen. If you ever come across Harry the Dog tell him you like it. ?

59 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Not quite as bad Leonard. The Millwall one is Chas and Daveesque but it grows on you. They play the chorus after goals and the word Den becomes Deeeeeeeeeeen. If you ever come across Harry the Dog tell him you like it. ?

Harry the Dog!

I remember the documentary, featuring the game against Rovers-almost with affection....

As for the song.....

Can only see a comfortable Millwall win.

They are in good form and will really be up for it in front of the cameras.

Unfortunately, I think some of our lads will have an eye on the Newcastle replay and you really need 11 giving 100% at Millwall otherwise you will get well and truly stuffed.

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

Millwall have turned a corner over Christmas, won something like 4 on the bounce and turned it around to knock Hull out of the Cup last week. Prior to that they were looking like relegation was likely.

A limited side without much quality but they'll be direct, physical and fight for everything. The Den is never an easy place to go, I recall when we were there under Bowyer's management on a Tuesday night and were 2-0 up against 10 men, their supporters were wound up with the red card and they ended up getting it back to 2-2. An intimidating atmosphere and their players rose to it whilst we crumbled to it. Not a place for shrinking violets or weak characters, need to be able to dig in and deal with the atmosphere.

We really need something from this, our record against the lesser lights is unimpressive and I don't yet subscribe to the theory that we're safe with nothing to play for. Another 10 points asap and i'll look at relaxing. A defeat and it is 4 in 5 league games.

We're still Smallwood-less with his last match of his ban to come so I'd expect more or less the same team as WBA, though I was concerned by Mowbray's comments on Mulgrew following Newcastle and hope there's nothing to worry about there.

I see we've sold over 600 tickets so far with a few days of sales to come, which is quite decent considering its on TV and the away games we've had recently.

3 wins on the bounce in the Championship, at home to Reading & Forest and away to Ipswich. Ok Forest are decent enough.....

They aren't in THAT good form. 

They've beat Ipswich and Reading who are both absolutely tosh, and admittedly a decent result vs a Forest side who themselves only have a solitary win in 6 games. 

Our last 3 visits there have been a couple of 2-2 draws and a 2-1 win for us.

Be sure to put Btts on your coupons ?

Edited by Ossydave

Never forget after we beat them 4-1 at the old Den last game of the season, Millwall fans streaming onto pitch towards the Rovers pen and stopping before the fence to applaud us. Well they had just won promotion to the old Division One.

Yes they are on a great run but we should have enough to beat them. 

As sure a 2-2 draw as you are likely to get.  

13 hours ago, JHRover said:

They've won 4 on the bounce. 3 in the League and 1 in the Cup. When did we last do that at this level?

Including beating Reading and Ipswich in the league and just getting past, at home in the Cup, a Hull side that had made 8 changes from their usual lineup. Millwall made just 2 to their usual start team lineup.

Millwall's 4 wins on the bounce is admirable but must be viewed in context of their oponents. I have no idea when we last won 4 on the bounce at any level, but I know we have recently done very well to avoid losing 4 on the bounce in the league.

Millwall are to be respected but not feared and we are good enough to win, I suspect however that a score draw will be the result, 1-1