BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall away Saturday 12th Jan kick off 17.30

12 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

9 minute match report/rant from a Millwall fan driving home in his car

Linesman was bent

Think he was pretty accurate to be honest, maybe disagree with a couple of points.

i thought nuttall played well today my issue would be can he score a normal strikers goal like how is he in a 1 v 1, can he score outside the box or does all his goal come from scrappy play like set pieces, cut backs. That’s all iv seen him score. Maybe I’m wrong though and there is that string to his bow, I just haven’t seen it 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AAK said:

Point is? Are you saying nuttall is a good player? If so I won't value any of your future comments.

No, but 1st game in 23 !!

Why be negative before a ball is kicked, Nutall did ok in a tough game.

It was not a good game but more down to Millwall at home with 4 x wins on the bounce than Rovers.

3 Points is all that matters, but some posters always find something when we win or plenty when we lose !! IMO

Realism is in short supply

• Like 2

I thought it was a terrific team performance even if we'd seen it out at 0-0 so the win was the icing on the cake.

I've moaned about the team sometimes having a soft underbelly at times but they stood firm today in fact bullied at times a strong team at a hostile ground, a team who go out to stop you and win from set pieces. We matched them all over the park only low point was Bell giving the ball away every time he had it but he stuck to his task defensively.

Mowbray got the 'in game management' and subs just right this time, his tinkering paid off as it does now and again against the more bog standard sides. As for Nuttall well that's just why I've been screamiing for him to be in ahead of Brereton for ages he's way ahead in terms of development and was a handful all game against their rugged defence, he also always carries a goal threat even though he's no Danny Graham.

Send Ben out on loan and let's have a bench with Nuttall playing a part and maybe A N Other striker plus there is Samuel to come back and young Butterworth but what do I know eh Biz lad... ?

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, AAK said:

Hopefully it does pal, at least that will mean we aren't all circus following chimps. Sorry for the pun. Good win, but people are allowed to criticise, even if most don't like it.

Are people allowed to point out positives without being labelled* or does it really only work one way?

*Circus chimps is a new one though i would reserve it for previous managers, executives and the owners themselves post Allardyce and pre Mowbray. (Bowyer excepted despite his flaws)

Edited by Roverthechimp
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Think he was pretty accurate to be honest, maybe disagree with a couple of points.

i thought nuttall played well today my issue would be can he score a normal strikers goal like how is he in a 1 v 1, can he score outside the box or does all his goal come from scrappy play like set pieces, cut backs. That’s all iv seen him score. Maybe I’m wrong though and there is that string to his bow, I just haven’t seen it 

He's a poacher that's what he is he isn't a good player but he can be a good poacher he carries that kind of goal threat. Pleasing thing is since last time I saw him he looks more physical and used it he didn't shy away or appear lazy as sometimes in the past. Made some intelligent runs today as well he's a handy option to have on the bench.

Could he have pinched another goal or two this season if he was used like Brereton has been ?   Could we be a few points better off ?

It's a fair argument I reckon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, S8 & Blue said:

See @K-Hod imagine if the Nutt goes on to continually bang them in, how can we not have a laugh at those calling him League 2 after 120 Championship minutes?

FWIW I thought he played well against some beastly defenders.

I'm actually reacting after viewing him in L1. To be fair, I'd love it if you were laughing at me in 6-12 months when Nuttall has proved me wrong.

It won't happen though.

• Like 2

Watched the first hour or so, listened to 20 odd minutes on Radio Lancs. still 0-0 at this point. By the time I got from the car and got my phone out I had a message to tell me it was 2-0!

What I did see was pretty shocking stuff. I often think we as supporters have more faith in the players ability than Mowbray does. We Didn’t look like scoring, lacked any ingenuity in the final third, and at times seemed fearful of putting a ball into the box. It wasn’t patient build up stuff, it looked more bereft of ideas... or players being way too cautious.

We are crying out for some effective wide players to help offer an attacking threat as well as protecting the full backs adequately, and just giving us a bit of balance. At the start of the game I’d have said a centre half too, but Lenihan and Rodwell were a pleasant surprise today. Wouldn’t say no to bringing in that big lad they had at the back (although for all I know he might have cost them two goals!)

Thought Nuttall put a real shift in... something Brereton has failed to do in any of his appearances, even when we’ve been crying out for it. Yes, he might lack a bit of quality, but a bit of hard graft can go a long way.

I can see the great Brereton debate becoming the great Brereton v Nuttall debate. Like our own localised version of Brexit!

• Like 6

• Backroom

Really pleased for Nuttall tonight, thought he did well with what he had to work with today, yes the goal came with a slice of luck but he was playing out wide at that point and had the nouse to get in the right place.

Must be a great feeling to get your first championship goal after a few years of a career heading the wrong way.

He’s never going to be a world beater but think when he learns to use his assets he’ll be an effective no nonsense striker to have on the bench 

• Like 5

What I thought was impressive is that Nuttall looks to have learnt a lot since we saw him last season.

Within the first 20 mins he won 2 free kicks from getting his body in between ball and man 'Danny Graham style'. Intelligent play.

Last season his feet were in concrete, whereas today he won a lot of headers against 2 of the biggest CBs in the league.

At the back he marked his man well when defending set pieces. I think this was a big factor of him starting the game.

End of the day, he has the knack of scoring goals. IMO fully justified being 1st reserve as central striker to DG.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I'm actually reacting after viewing him in L1. To be fair, I'd love it if you were laughing at me in 6-12 months when Nuttall has proved me wrong.

It won't happen though.

Thought he looked like a different player today compared to last season.  Pretty much gave a performance that BB needs to learn from...

• Like 5

What impressed me about Nuttall was that he worked a lot harder than I’ve previously seen him do. Seems to have taken TM’s words on board. He also competed very well for headers, covered ground and generally made a nuisance of himself. Mischief making, yes, but a certain somebody could take some lessons from his performance.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

It was one of the worst games I’ve seen in a long time.

It was a terrible game of football, I'm glad I didn't have to pay to watch that.

We ended up nullifying their threats but forgot to play ourselves.

Games down there over the last 6 years or so have been similar I think, we try to play they go out to stop you, they try and bully you but we stood up to it, it is what it is. A few more stodgy efforts like that and we'll finish in a good place, sod the entertainment lets just bite and grab and nick the points at these type of gaffs.

• Backroom

Sad to see the match report on the official site says the first was an own goal, no mention of Nuttall at all, everywhere else seems to reporting it as Nuttalls goal 

Hope he gets it!

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

What a painful watch that was. until the last five minutes or so. ?

Arma has to be the MotM. Without him, we'd have been walking away with a point or less, I reckon.

Travis played well again; he looks like the real deal - the complete midfielder.

I thought Nuttall handled the lone-striker role really well. He can head and hold up the ball, although the rest of his game is a bit raw. I think he deserves to be in and around the first team again.

Not much to say about the rest of the game - it was really dire, but to come away with a win and a two-goal cushion from that is superb.

Bring on the Toon.

Saw plenty to believe that we should persevere with Nuttall.  Raw he certainly is but on today's showing he is quick, aggressive, strong under pressure and full of running.

Plenty of basic material to work with there.

• Like 1

• Backroom

Ah there is another article with him discussing his goal saying how it hit him in the face and was lucky.

For me though being ‘lucky’ is part of being a good goal scorer, Rhodes had a couple earlier this year that pretty much hit him when he was on the floor, poachers have a knack for it.

• Like 5

I thought Nuttall did well, especially in the first 20 minutes or so. Faded a bit as the game went on and I was surprised that he wasn’t one of those who went off, but then he did really well to get himself into the right position to score - albeit a bit luckily. But I remember in games against Rotherham and Norwich, Armstrong getting into similar positions, putting those kind of balls across the box and there being no one gambling on getting in there, so it was nice to see Nuttall doing that, especially from the wide forward position.

By no means a perfect performance, or even a brilliant one, but certainly one that showed promise and gives me hope that there’s a decent player in there that can be developed 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

In-game hysteria is never the best idea at 0-0. I didn't watch it so you might be right about it being shyte. The home fixture was too.

However, a 2-0 win down there though is a cracking result. 

Agree, a great result in the end with two excellent moves for the goals. 

However, no masking the fact that, IMV, as a footballing unit we were utter shyte for 85 minutes.  It is not a style of football that is going to bring the missing thousands back to Ewood. 

Travis continues to impress.  Let's hope Mowbray does not let him go out on loan but keeps him at the club and, more importantly, in the starting eleven.  The lad's got great energy, passion and footballing intelligence and can't he pick a pass!

As for Brereton, the mystery deepens.  Why the hell did we sign him and commit the club to a £10million+ deal?

Edited by Mercer

29 minutes ago, DaveyB said:

I thought Nuttall did well, especially in the first 20 minutes or so. Faded a bit as the game went on and I was surprised that he wasn’t one of those who went off, but then he did really well to get himself into the right position to score - albeit a bit luckily. But I remember in games against Rotherham and Norwich, Armstrong getting into similar positions, putting those kind of balls across the box and there being no one gambling on getting in there, so it was nice to see Nuttall doing that, especially from the wide forward position.

By no means a perfect performance, or even a brilliant one, but certainly one that showed promise and gives me hope that there’s a decent player in there that can be developed 

The point is, he competed! Never stopped, chased every ball, closed down defenders, won balls in the air. Offered so much more than Brereton.

His main problem is that the ball doesn't stick, he couldn't trap a bag of cement as they say. But surely he can learn?

• Like 2