BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Millwall away Saturday 12th Jan kick off 17.30

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

It was a hard fought game and one that we might have lost with a different approach and I'm delighted we won but it was hard to watch because of the lack of quality among certain players ........the failure of the likes of Nuttall and Bell (at times) to do the basics was striking.  Nuttall isn't a Championship player by any stretch of the imagination and Bell only border line. The rest of the Rovers team was solid if uninspiring. Millwall were just as awful but at least they did manage to test Raya a few times. 

Millwall had 2 reasonable shots that Raya saved quite easily.

Millwall played hoofball to a level Rovers have yet to attain. Thank God.

Nuttall had perhaps his best performance yet, work hard all game and running strong until the end. He put a good shift in and put himself about.

His goal was no fluke as some have said. A strikers instinct got him to read the situation and get in the best position to benefit. The ball could just as easily have hit his foot and gone straight into the net.

Both our goals are superbly worked and Armstrong delivered in this game.

An awful game overall. Great result. 

The Millwall fans sounded like a herd of cows come milking time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, not exactly Scarface said:

Just the result you needed ahead of the Newcastle game in a few days.   Incidentally hope you win that day, good luck in the competition.  Seriously, hope you can go a long way - although extra time and penalties would be nice (if you win) in order to tire your players for our trip up next weekend.

Every point is crucial here now, you wouldn't have been involved in it of course but we beat the mighty Rotherham by a single goal yesterday.   In the end it could have gone either way but the three points were huge for us.    We're bringing in a number of players right now.   No thrills names that could be seen reliable but doubtful they'll prove the difference between safety and a fall into League One by end of season.    Up to recently Sears was the best chance of goals, Yes there were others like Jackson, Harrison and Lankester but they were too ineffective for any real mention.

Keane and Quaner have recently come in and Alan Judge is on the verge of a move but nothing decided at time of writing.    Gerken in goal has his moments and Bialkowski (goal) features less often than before but Lambert is moulding a team together that can hopefully compete.   The only worry is it could be seen in League One by August.    Some gave up hope of survival after the Accrington mess, yesterday was encouraging, but it only lifted the hopes a little.    I'd estimate it's 50/50 whether we'll go down or not.    That's why our trip to your ground next weekend is such another pivotal occasion.  

I saw Blackburns league position on the BBC website.   I think you could still reach the play offs with the games remaining but probably finish just outside.  Like ourselves you may just have left things a little late this season or accomplishments may just be out of reach but there's still enough time for things to occur.    Incidentally would have liked to see Dack or Graham come in to us during the recent transfer activities but you realise it was unlikely to happen.   Just see them as good players that can win teams games and something of a valuable commodity to have on board.  

Lambert brought in a handful of players in next to no time when at Rovers, and they made a fairly instant impact. Some, like Bennett & Graham are still mainstays, others, like Jordi Gomez & Tony Watt, played a big part in an uplift of form for a while, before we realised that he was on his way and our season petered out.

If he can do the same in January, then you have a chance, although I agree with others that 50/50 is looking a bit on the optimistic side. I'm expecting a much tougher game on Saturday than it would've been just a few weeks ago, but given our home form over the last year or more, I'd be expecting three points for Rovers. 

• Like 2

Just now, RV Blue said:

Jordi Gomez was dreadful for us.

Up and down, I thought. Started well, but tailed off towards the end.

Remember him scoring a belter against Milton Keynes, and played well in the away game at Boro when we managed to draw after playing them off the park. Wouldn't want to be next to him in the trenches, I'll grant you.

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Jordi Gomez was dreadful for us.

Scored a couple of cracking free kicks from memory. Did better for us than Grimey, at least. Looks like after his loan here Gomez went to Wigan for a year, than played in the Spanish second division and is now in Cyprus so... yeah. 

One thing that concerned me about Mowbray's post match interview was that he didn't praise our goals in any way. They were 2 good goals and you get the feeling that most (if not all) other managers would have at least mentioned that.

Is he that defensive and negative minded that he can only see the negative things? Perhaps good forward play and excellent finishing (for the 2nd) just doesn't register.

Edited by Husky
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Husky said:

One thing that concerned me about Mowbray's post match interview was that he didn't praise our goals in any way. They were 2 good goals and you get the feeling that most (if not all) other managers would have at least mentioned that.

Is he that defensive and negative minded that he can only see the negative things? Perhaps good forward play and excellent finishing (for the 2nd) just doesn't register.

Inside he is probably thinking  "what a substitution, boom, ToMo = tactical genius" 

Really surprised we played the last 15 minutes with a front 3 of Nuttall, Graham and Armstrong and backed up with Travis, Bennett and Reed pressing forward. So unlike TM. Maybe after our recent capitulations a light has switched on in his head.

Edited by Stonesrick
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Still buzzing after those two late late goals.

Me too.

Awful for 80 minutes, but there is something really satisfying, nay uplifting about seeing a Rovers team, willing to scrap for every single ball, backed by a raucous following and winnning right at the death.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 2

• J*B unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, Stonesrick said:

Really surprised we played the last 15 minutes with a front 3 of Nuttall, Graham and Armstrong and backed up with Travis, Bennett and Reed pressing forward. So unlike TM. Maybe after our recent capitulations a light has switched on in his head.

Play in your opponents half, that's the best way to see out a game.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Husky said:

The thing that I always question when people refer to Mowbrays apparent over cautiousness and defensive nature is genuine confusion as to whether this is actually the problem.

If that is his reasoning behind his general tactics and team selections then based on our defensive record, its not working! Weve conceded more tha Bolton!