BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tugay was fantastic.  The vision he had, the way he could control the game without hardly moving from the spot, the way he just received and moved the ball on without any fuss and created so much space for others.  It would have been great to see a 35 year old Tugay playing in a top side to see how great he could really be because he did get better with age.  

Tugay and Freidel were the best players in their positions in the league for a while which is incredible considering they were playing for us.  Not sure if that makes them world class but I suppose it depends how you define world class.

Edited by McClarky

1 hour ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Ossie ardiles ?

Never saw him play bit the way the BBC bang on about him I assume he was decent 

Nuno Gomes. ?

Robbie Fowler ? 

Cole.and Yorke, treble winners

I remember Ardiles as a kid and I think yes he can definitely be plonked in the world class category although I don't think he'd much left when he pitched up at Rovers other than his name.

Gomes had a decent rep but Hakan Sukur I think was another genuine class talent.

Fowler/Cole/Yorke !!!!!  Pftt lol   great domestic guys but never worldies whilst they had holes in their rears ?

26 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I remember Ardiles as a kid and I think yes he can definitely be plonked in the world class category although I don't think he'd much left when he pitched up at Rovers other than his name.

Unfortunately didn't get much of a chance to show what he had left with the injury he sustained from Nicky Markers? tackle

Edited by perthblue02
  • Like 1

The first time I saw Tugay play for us he launched a fantastic pass through for Matt Jansen to run onto. The weight and direction of the pass was perfect and he'd put back spin on the ball so when it bounced it sat up perfectly for Jansen to chip the goalkeeper who'd come racing off his line.

I thought then " This lad's some player, only top class footballers can play that sort of pass ".

Tugay is the player that stays in my mind. There are many memories be it the long walk he made from Riverside when substituted, the outstanding goal from a corner, the Ewood sound "....Tugay, you are my Turkish delight....." or even just word going round ground that he was in BBN End hospitality.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Commondore said:

Perhaps I'm forgetting something obvious, but wouldn't he be our most successful international footballer as well? Turkey won the bronze medal in the 2002 world cup with Tugay in central midfield.  

No djorkaeff won the world cup and euros

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 04:25, McClarky said:

Tugay was fantastic.  The vision he had, the way he could control the game without hardly moving from the spot, the way he just received and moved the ball on without any fuss and created so much space for others.  It would have been great to see a 35 year old Tugay playing in a top side to see how great he could really be because he did get better with age.  

Tugay and Freidel were the best players in their positions in the league for a while which is incredible considering they were playing for us.  Not sure if that makes them world class but I suppose it depends how you define world class.

I'm sure Mark Hughes was once asked something along the lines of do you wish Tugay was 28? His reply was no, because he'd be playing for Barcelona.

Tugay was genuine class act, but if I had to pick 1 player it would be Shearer. He was top 3 in Europe without a doubt when he was a Rovers player. He was at the same level as European top dogs Romario and Batistuta. Brazilian Ronaldo wasn't there yet. 

Edited by speeeeeeedie
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm sure Mark Hughes was once asked something along the lines of do you wish Tugay was 28? His reply was no, because he'd be playing for Barcelona.

Tugay was genuine class act, but if I had to pick 1 player it would be Shearer. He was top 3 in Europe without a doubt when he was a Rovers player. He was at the same level as European top dogs Romario and Batistuta. Brazilian Ronaldo wasn't there yet. 

Yup there were no better strikers in world at that time than those 3. Id have Shearer over those two as well. 

• Backroom
9 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Fergie said similar once, too. Something like ‘If he was 10 years younger, I’d have him’. Very rare that he would so enthusiastically praise an opposition player.

I always remember a West Ham player picking his best 1-11. He named tugay and you could here the the shock in the presenters tone, then the West Ham player goes on to describe what a player he was. 

Normally it's player like Ronaldo, xavi, scholes etc so I was surprised when he was picked by a random hammer

Edited by Oldgregg86

34 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I always remember a West Ham player picking his best 1-11. He named tugay and you could here the the shock in the presenters tone, then the West Ham player goes on to describe what a player he was. 

Normally it's player like Ronaldo, xavi, scholes etc so I was surprised when he was picked by a random hammer

Probably Noble: - skip to 3 mins

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

He likes nearly everything Rovers post on Instagram. He was supposedly desperate to come back a few years ago as a coach. Or am i mis-remembering that?

Sounds like a dream. To be honest, it was best he didn't. He should come back as a coach when we are again an established Premier league club. Anything else would be beneath the maestro. 

• Like 1

On 11/01/2019 at 15:35, Proudtobeblue&white said:

It was an absolute privilege to watch both Shearer and Tugay play. We were spoilt. Both incredible players, and expert at their respective roles. Shearer was not only a goal machine, but led the line superbly. Tugay was just calmness personified, and could pick a pass like no other in the team. He scored some screamers as well. Like trying to compare apples and pears, both tasty fruit, but shaped differently!

In the days when I sponsored a player, we always had an end of the year trip to Brockhall to watch a training session. All the respective sponsors assembled in reception and there was the great man, dicking around with the staff, answering the phones, and just generally entertaining the throng. There was no doubt he loved the club, and the staff and fans adored him. That last game was quite emotional, and I'd quite forgotten who the opposition's manager was!

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/24/blackburn-west-bromwich-albion

If I remember correctly they were wearing Mowbray masks that day as well

• Like 1

Another Tugay memory for me is at the Reebok stadium when he wasn't playing for whatever reason. Before the game started he walked from the dugout area in his suit all the way to the away supporters end, climbed over the wall and walked through us up to the back, probably to join some mates to watch the match. We were in awe. I thought what he did was great.

• Like 1