BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

8 hours ago, old darwen blue said:

The top two goals, I’m just speechless I could watch them both on loop all day. 

We were blessed by his presence. 

Just remembered Tugay day against West Brom and that coachload of Gala fans who had travelled all that way just to be present on his last game, that tells you all about the man......LEGEND

As an afterthought when you watch all those goals you wonder why he didn’t score more? It’s almost like he knew that every one he scored would be special and he made us wait for the next. 

I always thought he played too deep and he should have been in a more advanced role. Having said that maybe he didn't have the legs for it.

• Like 1

Outside of Blackburn i've always found Tugay to be extremely underrated. People tend to remember him as the guy who scored a screamer once a season, but he was so much more. When his name comes up those goals aren't at the front of my mind. There is a video somewhere on YouTube of him (I can't find it right now as i'm at work) just controlling play from deep, turning out of danger and spraying passes, its mesmeric and perfectly shows what he was about as a player. He was a great showman too really played to the crowd, we haven't had anyone like that since.

Anyway he's my favourite Rovers player of all time, and I'd be surprised if that answer changed before the end of my life. If we have another player i enjoy to watch as much a did Tugay i'd be a very happy man.

• Like 6

What a fantastic shot the man possessed,some of those goals are truly world class.

It's a real shame we don't hear/ see more from Tugay but I think he always did prefer to keep low profile off the pitch.

One can only imagine the reception he would receive on a return to Ewood,a player held in the same esteem as Garner and Shearer for me personally.

And there's the rub....we once had players of his calibre in our famous shirt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Outside of Blackburn i've always found Tugay to be extremely underrated. People tend to remember him as the guy who scored a screamer once a season, but he was so much more. When his name comes up those goals aren't at the front of my mind. There is a video somewhere on YouTube of him (I can't find it right now as i'm at work) just controlling play from deep, turning out of danger and spraying passes, its mesmeric and perfectly shows what he was about as a player. He was a great showman too really played to the crowd, we haven't had anyone like that since.

Anyway he's my favourite Rovers player of all time, and I'd be surprised if that answer changed before the end of my life. If we have another player i enjoy to watch as much a did Tugay i'd be a very happy man.

He was the best passer of the ball I've seen at Rovers and I go back to 1961.

• Like 3

One funny memory I have is whilst stood close to the pitch infront of the riverside I was watching the players warm up they were doing the standard shuttle runs between two sets of cones. Each time it was Tugays turn he would pick up the last cone and move it closer to the start. He also put no effort into running during the warm up. I remember laughing and him laughing at the crowd every time he did it. 

He then went on to completely dictate the game.

Despite my first memories aged 4 or 5 of being a rovers fan being the Shearer and title winning days, Tugay has always been my faviorite. 

• Like 3

He's Definitely in my all time Rovers 11,Its not just his passing and shooting ability that made him great, also his knack of when we were winning and he was about to be subbed his knowingly moving to the other side of the pitch and taking his time to walk off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benhben said:

One funny memory I have is whilst stood close to the pitch infront of the riverside I was watching the players warm up they were doing the standard shuttle runs between two sets of cones. Each time it was Tugays turn he would pick up the last cone and move it closer to the start. He also put no effort into running during the warm up. I remember laughing and him laughing at the crowd every time he did it. 

He then went on to completely dictate the game.

Despite my first memories aged 4 or 5 of being a rovers fan being the Shearer and title winning days, Tugay has always been my faviorite. 

At Feyenoord we were kept back for ages. After about twenty minutes the Rovers players came out for a warm down. Tugay was soon lagging behind as they lapped the pitch and as they came round to where we were I noticed his headphones and he was listening to his iPod. I can't think of many players who have played for Hughes who could have got away with that. In a business where the word 'legend' is totally overused I can't think of any Rovers player more deserving.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Had the pleasure of playing against him for 70 minutes in Legends match, he walked through the game,  barely broke a sweat. 

I was at that game. It was the most bizarre thing to see and I talk about it to this day with the people I went with.

Tugay was up against much younger lads who I would estimate were all decent Sunday league types. I was curious as to how the younger lads would fare against the Rovers veterans. What happened was that the old boys (Ripley, Tugay,  Atkins,  Hendry etc) moved the ball briskly using only one or two touches which caused the younger lads to tire around the 25 minute mark. The veterans won by something like 6-1.

Tugay literally walked around a number of tackles and caused his opponents to fall on their backsides in a way you simply don't see in any level of football.

I always enjoy Tyrone and others describe Bryan Douglas do this very same thing. Almost like an 18 year old playing in an under 10's game. Extraordinary to watch!

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I was at that game. It was the most bizarre thing to see and I talk about it to this day with the people I went with.

Tugay was up against much younger lads who I would estimate were all decent Sunday league types. I was curious as to how the younger lads would fare against the Rovers veterans. What happened was that the old boys (Ripley, Tugay,  Atkins,  Henry etc) moved the ball briskly using only one or two touches which caused the younger lads to tire around the 25 minute mark. The veterans won by something like 6-1.

Tugay literally walked around a number of tackles and caused his opponents to fall on their backsides in a way you simply don't see in any level of football.

I always enjoy Tyronne and others describe Bryan Douglas do this very same thing. Almost like an 18 year old playing in an under 10's game. Extraordinary to watch!

Dougie could put top pros on their backsides without really breaking out of a jog. He was a one off. My pal who played at Great Harwood with him used to say _ " He could send you the wrong way stood still ".

Yeah. Further back someone linked Tugay to Shearer and Garner. But although Shearer and Garner were brilliant at scoring goals, they didn't have the complete class of total control of body, brain, ball and awareness of opponents. Bryan Douglas was the only other one I have seen who had this.

In other words, Tugay and Douglas are the only complete footballers I've ever seen in a Rovers shirt.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...
On 24/01/2019 at 13:46, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Dougie could put top pros on their backsides without really breaking out of a jog. He was a one off. My pal who played at Great Harwood with him used to say _ " He could send you the wrong way stood still ".

Absolutely sums him up. The feet were so fast that he never needed pace to go round an opponent. Only player anywhere near him for speed of foot was Eddie Crossan and sometimes I glimpsed it with Berkovic.

On 24/01/2019 at 13:46, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was on a Facebook football page recently TS when Dougie featured in an early 60s England team picture. I remarked that he was an Ewood legend. A guy replied that he had seen Rovers beat Everton at Goodison around that time and Dougie absolutely ran the show. It would have been either 1963-64 when we beat them 4-2 or 1964-65 when we won 3-2. At the end of the game, both teams formed a guard of honour for Dougie as he left the pitch. Not very often that that sort of thing is witnessed and showed just what his fellow professionals thought of him.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...