BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The influence of Rovers in Blackburn

I have been researching the role of Rovers in impacting the town of Blackburn as a whole and how important the club is for issues like community, racism, crime, happiness etc.

I was wondering if any residents or fans had any personal opinions on the power of the beautiful game in the town, and whether the club is as important as it was say 30 years ago?

Lastly it would really help my research (for university) if anyone could fill out this quick 30 second survey (link below) on football in Blackburn, would all be very much appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/6ZLVY3Y 

Edited by MoreThanAGame

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 14:34, MoreThanAGame said:

I have been researching the role of Rovers in impacting the city of Blackburn as a whole and how important the club is for issues like community, racism, crime, happiness etc.

I was wondering if any residents or fans had any personal opinions on the power of the beautiful game in the city, and whether the club is as important as it was say 30 years ago?

Lastly it would really help my research (for university) if anyone could fill out this quick 30 second survey (link below) on football in Blackburn, would all be very much appreciated!

Town !!! !

Your research didn't stretch as far as that rather obvious point ?

Edited by tomphil

1 hour ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

The most successful town football club in British history no less...

Sunderland was a town up to recently when they won 6 League titles, along with 2 FA Cups.  Plus Blackburn is a city in all but name.  There's only two real cities in what was Lancashire - Liverpool and Manchester.  Lancaster is a small town, Preston a big town and Salford is a suburb.

5 hours ago, MoreThanAGame said:

I have been researching the role of Rovers in impacting the town of Blackburn as a whole and how important the club is for issues like community, racism, crime, happiness etc.

I was wondering if any residents or fans had any personal opinions on the power of the beautiful game in the town, and whether the club is as important as it was say 30 years ago?

I strongly suggest that instead of asking football fans to fill in an online tickbox questionnaire you actually get out and about in the town and talk to people ?

Proper research involves hard leg work talking to council leaders, the chamber of commerce, business chiefs,  shop owners, people in the pubs and clubs, and the top brass at Rovers too to find out their opinions.

Not something you can do on the internet from your bedroom. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I strongly suggest that instead of asking football fans to fill in an online tickbox questionnaire you actually get out and about in the town and talk to people ?

Proper research involves hard leg work talking to council leaders, the chamber of commerce, business chiefs,  shop owners, people in the pubs and clubs, and the top brass at Rovers too to find out their opinions.

Good advice above.

For sure contact the Rovers Community Trust http://www.brfctrust.co.uk/Community/staff

Survey done - tick.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I have already carried out research in person in the town for your information. It is not a sufficient research method on its own and must be combined with other methods such as online surveys for greater response rates. Thank you

• Like 2

Blackburn should be a city. Infact as far as I can tell it is one of only two settlements in England to possess a Cathedral yet not have city status, the other being Guildford (which was only built quite recently).

Very simple - if having a cathedral is the mark of being a city - then Blackburn qualifies and places like Preston and Brighton don't.

If it is more to do with size/population then Blackburn still qualifies as it is bigger or similar to many cities in England.

I can't see one reason why Blackburn shouldn't be awarded city status except it is in the wrong part of the country. If it was in Wales or Scotland it would have been awarded by now, like much smaller and less relevant places like St Asaph and Stirling.

It marks a failing of local government that cathedral-less rivals with similar populations like Preston, Brighton, Chelmsford etc. have managed to secure status ahead of Blackburn.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, MoreThanAGame said:

I have already carried out research in person in the town for your information. It is not a sufficient research method on its own and must be combined with other methods such as online surveys for greater response rates. Thank you

May I apologise for our resident miserable bugger Jim mk2 pal. I’ll do the survey for you as well. 

• Like 1