BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town, Saturday 19th January 15.00 Kick off.

I seem to be in a minority with regards to Rothwell. Every time I've seen him play, you seem to get the same thing. He picks the ball up and tries to beat a player or two. Often he's successful but then invariably gives the ball away. I can see why fans like a player who tries to beat people all the time but I don't see any end result. He was truly terrible at Sheffield United.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LA1Rovers said:

would love Rothwell to start! He probably is the most excitable player going forward we have. Yet the manager can't see this? Boring boring Tony 

That's probably why he loses the ball so much! 

I am half-joking. I would like to see him coming on in Dacks position. To be honest, he should have started instead of Brereton the other night 

36 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I seem to be in a minority with regards to Rothwell. Every time I've seen him play, you seem to get the same thing. He picks the ball up and tries to beat a player or two. Often he's successful but then invariably gives the ball away. I can see why fans like a player who tries to beat people all the time but I don't see any end result. He was truly terrible at Sheffield United.

At least he's capable of beating a player look at the alternatives to him out wide Bennett, Conway, Brereton, Reed how often do you see any of them beat a plyer. Saturday will be an ideal game for Rothwell Ipswich are going to sit back so we could do with some with a bit of attacking invention to break them down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

It doesn't matter how many times you beat a player if you give the ball away afterwards. What matters is the end product.

I don't know if he's got no end product because he barely gets a chance. Armstrong playing on the wing frequently fails with his final ball but still gets chances.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
Typo
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, only2garners said:

It doesn't matter how many times you beat a player if you give the ball away afterwards. What matters is the end product.

So your saying Armstrong had end product? Yes Armstrong has scored two goal in two games.  But in all honesty I would expect that for the amount of times he's started. (Before those games he could hit a barn door).  Rothwell hasn't been given a proper chance. Started very few games. Every game he starts he gets dropped for an extra 10 matches. How is he supposed to 'fit' in the team when one, the manager wont play him & two he isn't played in his natural postion? The lad needs a chance and needs a goal!

8 minutes ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

I don't know if he's got no end product because he barely gets a chance. Armstrong playing no the wing frequently fails with his final ball but still gets chances.

He had a full game at Bramall Lane and the sum total of his performance was to dive when in the 6 yard box. From the subsequent free kick United broke away and scored.

33 minutes ago, only2garners said:

He had a full game at Bramall Lane and the sum total of his performance was to dive when in the 6 yard box. From the subsequent free kick United broke away and scored.

Ha! Come off it! I don't think Richie Smallwood has passed a ball forward this season yet he still starts?

31 minutes ago, LA1Rovers said:

Ha! Come off it! I don't think Richie Smallwood has passed a ball forward this season yet he still starts?

I take it you weren't at Ewood on Tuesday then? Smallwood played a number of great balls out to Reed on the right wing. I had it down as a toss up between him and Lenihan for man of the match.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I take it you weren't at Ewood on Tuesday then? Smallwood played a number of great balls out to Reed on the right wing. I had it down as a toss up between him and Lenihan for man of the match.

I was there? You obviously weren't at the game to say he was your second man of the match? But hey it's your opinion. I do agree he had a decent game probably his only one this season.I had Travis & graham before smallwood for MOTM. 

The point is TM has his selection of yes man and will not drop them no matter how bad they play. Then we have players like rothwell, make more of an impact in 10 minutes than others, make one error or Dont score score and get dropped?

8 minutes ago, LA1Rovers said:

I was there? You obviously weren't at the game to say he was your second man of the match? But hey it's your opinion. I do agree he had a decent game probably his only one this season.I had Travis & graham before smallwood for MOTM. 

The point is TM has his selection of yes man and will not drop them no matter how bad they play. Then we have players like rothwell, make more of an impact in 10 minutes than others, make one error or Dont score score and get dropped?

He did absolutely nothing after coming on as sub on Tuesday night. 

I'm afraid it is my opinion and sadly, it's the only one I've got. Although in this case there were one or two more on the game thread who agreed Smallwood played well.

Maybe I've missed some outstanding performance away from home but I've not seen anything from Rothwell that could be described as a positive impact. I wonder whether it's the old adage about a player sat on the bench getting better and better in fans' minds as they see the shortcomings of those on the pitch.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Motm is a stretch, but he certainly played better than he was before suspension.

I think Smallwood focusing on the defensive side would allow Trav more freedom to roam forward looking for the passes.

I only say Smallwood because Reed will be right wing though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Look at other games pal. He has done a lot more than nothing? Not everyone makes an impact

Just now, only2garners said:

I'm afraid it is my opinion and sadly, it's the only one I've got. Although in this case there were one or two more on the game thread who agreed Smallwood played well.

Maybe I've missed some outstanding performance away from home but I've not seen anything from Rothwell that could be described as a positive impact. I wonder whether it's the old adage about a player sat on the bench getting better and better in fans' minds as they see the shortcomings of those on the pitch.

Never said he had a bad game? I agreed he had a good game. Maybe played better because he had Travis next to him? Why I don't agree with both Evans & Smallwood in the middle. Too alike. However as an individual player I don't think Smallwood is good enough. Reason he started in the centre before Reed & Travis for most of the season is because he's a yes man.

9 minutes ago, only2garners said:

been I'm afraid it is my opinion and sadly, it's the only one I've got. Although in this case there were one or two more on the game thread who agreed Smallwood played well.

I'm not a Smallwood fan really. I thought he should have been nearer to the lad who had the shot for their first goal. Shortly after that he hesitated on the ball and got caught in possession in the last third. After that poor start I thought he barely put a foot wrong and he had a good game. If you're picking players on current form you'd have give him the shirt on Saturday.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In fairness he came on in the 103rd minute, three minutes of football later it was 2-4 and we knew we were beaten, the game was done.

I like Rothwell, from the very little we’ve seen of him. He’s got a drive and spark about him that not many others have. Will he give the ball away more than those who play safer passes? Definitely, but those same players don’t have the ability to glide past players and create things further up the pitch which it seems like Rothwell can.

I’m not sure what his best position is (consequently I'm not saying I'd have him starting every game) but I think it’s fair to say he’s deserved more of a chance than he’s had (2 league starts is it?).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LA1Rovers said:

Look at other games pal. He has done a lot more than nothing? Not everyone makes an impact

Never said he had a bad game? I agreed he had a good game. Maybe played better because he had Travis next to him? Why I don't agree with both Evans & Smallwood in the middle. Too alike. However as an individual player I don't think Smallwood is good enough. Reason he started in the centre before Reed & Travis for most of the season is because he's a yes man.

If you're banging on the managers door to get game time when the moment comes you've got to take it. On Tuesday he didn't, the game passed him by.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not a Smallwood fan really. I thought he should have nearer to the lad who had the shot for their first goal. Shortly after that he hesitated on the ball and got caught in possession in the last third. After that poor start I thought he barely put a foot wrong and he had a good game. If you're picking players on current form you'd have give him the shirt on Saturday.

Because he has quality next to him - Travis. Seemed to give him a boot up the arse he needed.