BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Blackburn Rovers vs Ipswich Town, Saturday 19th January 15.00 Kick off.

Tiered legs throughout I thought but credit to Rodwell for a few classie touches, he should play every week, and Rothwell gave them something to think about when he came on, good impact. Although Dack almost scored he needed more energy. Travis was good worked hard for the team. Didn't expect 3 points after cup game so well done to the lads.

Also well done to standing BBN End fans. Great songs and sounds is really good to hear!!!!!

Chambers was booked for trying to dent turf around penalty spot. Good spot from assistant.  

GREEN LANE BRIDGE CLOSURE CAUSED MASSIVE ROAD PROBLEM.

Edited by Cherry Blue

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Rothwell better as an impact sub?

Bennett RW, Nyambe RB if they are dangerous down that side especially

I think we are really showing signs of progressing as a team and the stalwarts of last season such as Bennett, Smallwood and maybe one or two others may become marginalised in a short time. Loyalty is admirable in many respects but the emergence of the likes of Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell and Reed is beginning to tighten the noose on some of our regulars. It is entirely right this happens as we can't afford to stand still. The likes of Rothwell and Armstrong gave a glimpse of a bright future today. Rodwell and Bell played well and the old order must be under threat like never before. 

• Like 5

That referee went through every excuse he could think if before giving that pen! Stonewall pen and were made to rely on a linesman, shocking.

Job done though and a good performance after Tuesday!

3 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I think we are really showing signs of progressing as a team and the stalwarts of last season such as Bennett, Smallwood and maybe one or two others may become marginalised in a short time. Loyalty is admirable in many respects but the emergence of the likes of Nyambe, Travis, Rothwell and Reed is beginning to tighten the noose on some of our regulars. It is entirely right this happens as we can't afford to stand still. The likes of Rothwell and Armstrong gave a glimpse of a bright future today. Rodwell and Bell played well and the old order must be under threat like never before. 

Agree, but against a strong left wing I think it would be prudent not to waste Rothwell defending.

Every team has to consider decent opponents and as shown today - “The Rothwell Injection” looks like it works when their midfield/back line have put a few miles on the clock already...

Will have to see. In Mowbray I Trust.

• Like 1

Despite another generally poor game the result keeps a little run going with another clean sheet. I thought Ipswich were awful and only when they were behind did they show any real ambition. There are lots of good things going for us at the moment but there are also lots where we can improve. If Lenihan can be convinced he doesn't have to win every ball he can go on to bigger and better things. Rodwell alongside him was very good and his reading of the game is up there with Mulgrews. Both full backs were better in the second half although to be fair most of the team were. I'm happy with results at the moment as that is the most important thing but for the purists the last two games must have been purgatory.

Onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Like 2

A leggy display , but got the job done. Playing a game Tuesday let alone one with extra time affected us. 

Rodwell and Armstrong the best players for me. I'm starting to see potential with Armstrong. Looks like he is learning how to play his new role. 

Is it just me or is Lenihan a different player when he is the one who needs to do the organising and leading at the back? 

• Like 1

First half absolutely dire as usual at Ewood. Second half was decent although it wasn't going to take much to dispatch a very poor Ipswich team.

Raya- Fine on shot stopping but a silly mix up with Bennett could have given Ipswich a lifeline back into the game just as his mistake did against Birmingham.

Bennett- Good going forward, less good in defence. Not a full back, if he plays then it should be further forward. 

Lenihan- Appears to thrive in the leading the back line in the absence Mulgrew.

Rodwell-Calm and composed, showed his premier league class.

Bell-Steady, which is probably about as good as it gets for him. 

Evans- Was one of our best players during the first 4 months of the season but the last month or so he has gone back to the Evans of old. Ineffective

Travis-Good again, plenty of energy and a threat in attack.

Reed- Struggles in a wide role in games like today where we need to be attacking and on the front foot. He's good enough out there against side's where we want some more defensive solidity but games like today he looks a central midfielder being played out of position.

Dack-Didn't quite come of for him today but plenty of endeavour.

Armstrong- Playing his best football since last February/March. They couldn't cope with his pace and nice to see a real end product with him the last few games.

Graham-A quite game from him no doubt feeling the affects of mid week but nevertheless put the penalty away when it was starting to look like one of those days.

Subs:

Rothwell- Showed again what a tremendous footballer he has the potential to be. I said the other day on here i thought his best position would be wide left and he certainly impressed there today. A run of games and i think he will only get better.

Nuttall-No question about it he is now our 2nd choice striker. Like all good strikers in the right place at the right time again.

• Like 8

Good win v a terrible team whose fans derided McCarthys style and love Lambert despite naively trying to get Collins and Chambers to play the ball out, with horrendous results, but hey he did pay for away travel!

First half performance was shocking by us, constantly lumping it and playing it into their hands (or heads) with a total lack of energy after Tuesday,

Second half we played it on the ground more and were far better and deserved to win.

Our obvious weakness is at full back, Bell did improve second half to be fair and Bennett did fire a wonderful pass in the build up to the second goal, but his indecision nearly cost us one in a mix up with Raya, and I feel like Nyambes exclusion is unfair solely to shoehorn Bennett in somewhere.

Centre backs were very impressive. Lenihans distribution at times was poor but he is a warrior, and Rodwell was superb. Big conundrum when Mulgrew returns, I'd personally consider Rodwell and Travis in central midfield which would have a good blend of tenacity and composure. Deserves a longer deal.

Moving on to Travis, he again was outstanding, his energy, composure and desire to look forward make him an automatic pick for me. Evans was pretty tidy alongside him, Reed wasnt that good and looks fatigued to me.

Armstrong was pretty quiet first half but in the second half he was unplayable. His pace and directness are now being coupled with more of an end product. Glad to see him coming to the table after a poor start to the season.

Dack had a quiet game, should have done better with his chance in the first half, but a couple of bits of quality in the second almost leading to goals. Graham nullified by counter-productive tactics but ice cool from the spot.

Subs had a big impact too. Rothwell was much improved, he was a constant threat and deserved that goal when his shot hit the post. Nuttall has to be ahead of Brereton now, his game is far from complete but he has a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Still think we need 2 or 3 additions, something else going forward (a wide man) and a left back are definites, and the play offs will be beyond us IMO but green shoots showing in the last couple of weeks, the form of the likes of Travis and Armstrong being very promising looking forward.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

First half absolutely dire as usual at Ewood. Second half was decent although it wasn't going to take much to dispatch a very poor Ipswich team.

Raya- Fine on shot stopping but a silly mix up with Bennett could have given Ipswich a lifeline back into the game just as his mistake did against Birmingham.

Bennett- Good going forward, less good in defence. Not a full back, if he plays then it should be further forward. 

Evans- Was one of our best players during the first 4 months of the season but the last month or so he has gone back to the Evans of old. Ineffective

Reed- Struggles in a wide role in games like today where we need to be attacking and on the front foot. He's good enough out there against side's where we want some more defensive solidity but games like today he looks a central midfielder being played out of position.

Armstrong- Playing his best football since last February/March. They couldn't cope with his pace and nice to see a real end product with him the last few games.

Graham-A quite game from him no doubt feeling the affects of mid week but nevertheless put the penalty away when it was starting to look like one of those days.

Subs:

Rothwell- Showed again what a tremendous footballer he has the potential to be. I said the other day on here i thought his best position would be wide left and he certainly impressed there today. A run of games and i think he will only get better.

Nuttall-No question about it he is now our 2nd choice striker. Like all good strikers in the right place at the right time again.

As good and as accurate a player rating scale as you will see. All bang on. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Commondore said:

He's not meant to get to the byline and cross, he's meant to cut in and shoot or play in Graham or Dack. 

How many times do you see somebody come inside off the wing and score ? Most of the time they just run into heavy traffic. You can still play team mates in playing off your better wing. 

The players that do the damage are the ones that get around the side of teams. Like Murphy did for Newcastle the other night.

• Like 1

I agree that Bennett is being shoe horned in. Away from home we need Nyambe at right back. 

Mowbray has some difficult decisions to make. Not just at right back either. Which is a very, very positive thing.

Well that's if he makes the right choices... 

Rodwell needs to be in the team I think. He is quality. But where? 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How many times do you see somebody come inside off the wing and score ? Most of the time they just run into heavy traffic. You can still play team mates in playing off your better wing. 

The players that do the damage are the ones that get around the side of teams. Like Murphy did for Newcastle the other night.

His goal against Millwall was a fairly good example. Since wingers generally play much narrower these days it becomes a waste to have them primed for crossing the ball, if anything that's the full backs' job.  

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree that Bennett is being shoe horned in. Away from home we need Nyambe at right back. 

Mowbray has some difficult decisions to make. Not just at right back either. Which is a very, very positive thing.

For me the right back role is an easy decision, we only have one natural there! As you say, Bennett is being shoehorned in. He should be in midfield or on the bench. Great pass but never a right back.

Rodwell is a conundrum. Mulgrew has to play, Rodwell and Travis would be an interesting combination ahead of them. Its Travis AND another for sure...

A good win after a dire 1st half. We sat far too deep in the first 45 mins. We still had 2 or 3 good chances mind.

Bit more tempo 2nd half but again it took a set-piece/penalty to win the points. We need to improve as an attacking unit. 

AA going to the right won us the game in the end. He's lightning quick and he's far more comfortable wide right. I remember him having a stormer against Wigan last season on the right. Hopefully Mowbray will use him where he is most effective from now on. 

Travis again was very good. He glides round the pitch and always has time on the ball - the sign of a quality player.

Rodwell was good, although he didn't come under much pressure. 

Rothwell looked sharp and he's less of a liability out wide where if he loses the ball it isn't critical. He's obviously talented if a bit naïve. 

Feed the Nutt. BB would have missed that?

What a pass from Bennett!

Ipswich were very Lambert. Quick to close down, organised, and absolutely no attacking threat whatsoever. 

Collins was fantastic for Ipswich. 

Edited by blueboy3333
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

After today’s performance, should we play this team next?

Raya.

Bennett. Rodwell. Lenihan. Bell.

Rothwell. Reed. Travis. Armstrong.

Dack.

Graham. 

Nyambe at RB and I agree.

36 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Looking at current form, I have to say Rodwell and Lenihan deserve to be the CB partnership at present and Mulgrew shouldn't walk back in - it's increasingly looking like he is the weak link following 2 clean sheets.

That said,  we miss his dead ball delivery! 

Bennett and Reed either have to be played centrally or start on the bench.  I like both their attitudes but there is little end product from either (assists or goals)  when they play on the wings.  Neither fill you with confidence at RB either.

Reed is only worth trying to sign if he is played centrally along side Travis.  I Don't rate Evans at all but as he's signed a new deal, there's every chance he will remain in the side which is a travesty!

Would also add that Nuttall sniffed out another goal. He is the best 'poacher' at the club.  The fact that he can also put himself about a bit is a bonus.  We could probably sign better but at present he is the player I'd be bringing off the bench.  

Who'd be a manager eh?

Nyambe only just back from injury isn’t he? Would normally want him in but tough to change the defence after two clean sheets - Mowbray alludes to the same in his radio lancs interview - that Mulgrew might not just walk back in.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

Subs:

Agree with everything you’ve said there. Raya didn’t half the scare the crap out of me again though in those last 10 minutes. His poor decision nearly led to an equaliser. It’s like he gets bored or something, if it’s he’s had little to do. 

On another note, we’re 66/1 for promotion, and we’re only 6 points a drift of 6th. £5 down would definitely pay for a weekend in the capital, come May!